Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Pictures of bed bugs on metal frame bed.

(4 posts)
  1. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 12:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

2. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 13:03:55
    #

Login to Send PM

lieutenantdan

this pic is very scary to me as I was always told that metal bed frames would not be harborages for BB

is this a common occurance or could it be that the infestation in that home was so servere that the bugs were found in places they would not normally inhabit?

there was no context for that picture

Adele

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 14:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele,
    In my opinion these bugs can travel on just about anything. I image that wood provides better hiding places because of the cracks and crevices but if they can climb it and they feel as though that they can be in a spot and not be disturbed than I say the sky is the limit.
    For years the army has used metal frames for their cots and I had never given much thought to that other than the metal was at one time cost effective, now I understand that the metal probably did help in that it was easy to clean and strong but also maybe made it a little difficult for some insects to scale and the bed sheets were never to touch the floor. Because of our bed bug experiences we now have an understanding why this was done.
    If I had to by a bed frame again I do think that I would go with metal.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2008 21:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have been giving this subject a lot of thought the last few weeks partially due to differing client’s needs.

As we have seen from various pictures Bed Bugs can survive on just about any surface. The only things they seem to have major issues with are highly polished surfaces such as glass and smooth plastic. The fact is that if they can’t climb into an area from the ground they are smart enough to work a way around it such as up the walls and down from above.

I would therefore suggest for discussion that one of the best possible features for a where bed bugs could be a persistent problem is a metal frame base with wooden slats to support the mattress. The slats should be easy to remove for inspection if feasible.

My reasons for suggesting this is that if you are able to easily dismantle and inspect the bed in all its components you will be able to detect the signs at even a light stage. I have found from some of my cultural research into Bed Bugs that many of the pre 1950's house hold cleaning tasks where geared towards managing exposure to bed bugs. In times when there were no chemical control solutions people managed, they brushed clothes down in the entrance of the property to ensure they carried nothing in, they never placed outside clothes on the bed area, they cleaned the bed and sleeping area each month.

I am not advocating a learn to live with bed bugs mentality at all but I do think there is merit in optimising your chances of early detection and exclusion from the home.

I heard a rumour today that Bed Bugs are to now feature on the school science syllabus which gives me great hope. We don’t have the same legislative process in the UK and its going to be many years before they get around to doing something about Bed Bugs when they have thousands of new crimes to invent.

The problem comes in when you are a 5 star hotel and industrial camp bed frames don't really give the right ambiance.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.