Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Questions re Ruling Out Bed Bugs/Carpet Beetles [a: debris, carpet beetle larva]

(6 posts)
  1. Nervous BugHunter

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 3:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Lou and David gave me some info. a few days ago and looked at photos. Thanks! I’m the one who posted about finding lots of white/beige small debris on furniture and in our laundry + various bug sightings and rashes. I know for sure we do have carpet beetles and ants. I have some follow-up questions, a few more photos, and some context I should have added to my initial posting but I wasn’t thinking straight.

Follow-up questions for the photo gallery Lou looked at (Link is https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_7OAdMq-Rv9UmU5WU42M2haVE0):
    * Do you know what the long bug is that's pictured in #17-23? I'm thinking ant or roach?
    * What species would be associated with the strange spindly, "antler"-like conjoined pieces? They glow like legs or other see-through tissue (photos 13, 14 & 26-29)?
    * Photos 8 & 9 are hard to see, but there were several small, oval gelatinous items in a cluster. These were visible. Do you think they could be eggs from another species? Definitely not bed bugs, though?
    * The amount of visible debris on our sofa and laundry - and that it keeps appearing in spite of my daily cleaning and causes itching - still makes me nervous -- & it is also gelatinous-looking and much of it is oval. None looked like hatched b.b. eggs to you? Today I found signs of a possible small nest in one part of the couch, with similar things in it - sticky and hard to remove - nothing that looked like bed bugs, I think. Some of the new photos below are from there, and some from a bedroom.

I continue to find carpet beetles, but also bug carcasses that I can't identify. New photos are at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_7OAdMq-Rv9bXk2eFBCVUU2OEk?usp=sharing:
    * The 1st 3 photos are the same bug carcass -- it included attached legs and either a long "snout" or antenna; if you look closely, the 1/2 photo of it kind of shows you the shape of the "head." I’m including the carpet beetle larva photo because I'm wondering if the mystery carcass could be from a c.b. pupa? Or what?
    *The 4th photo is a squished bug on its back, so it's hard to see, but you can kind of make out the shape; I think I see wings, which would mean not a bed bug, correct, or do they have small vestigial wings that are visible from underneath? What species is it?
    * The last 2 photos look like a hatched egg sac to me with a strange red dot (blood)? What could that be?

In addition to the new photo-related questions above, here are more details about why I'm suspicious and still anxious:

In October, what started this whole search and panic was I found 3 live see-through bugs on my bed, about the size of lady bugs, trying to run away very quickly. I believe they had segmented bodies. My niece had lice at the time, but I took the bugs to a lice expert and they said they had no idea what they were. I found some similar ones near the light above my bed - mini spiders, or b.b. instars? Wish I'd gotten a photo.

A few weeks later, my daughter woke up one morning and squished a bug on her bed that left a blood streak. It was crawling, not flying. She immediately flushed it, and wasn't able to give me a description. She's had a few blood spots on her sheets now and then. She's also had mosquito-like bites, but at least 6 months before any of these bug sightings to maybe almost a year ago. We all take daily anti-histamine so bites might not show up; she wasn't on an anti-histamine when those bites appeared. My spouse has had eczema on his hands for years and it's getting worse. I get fleeting tiny bumps now and then that seem consistent with carpet beetle sensitivity -- only once were there 3 in a row.

An out-of-town friend slept in my daughter's bed a few nights when we were away (in August). This friend had been complaining of mysterious very itchy bites all over her body for a few months, but has never said anything about b.b., nor checking for them (so I don't know if she could have missed something)? Her son woke up covered in bites a couple of days ago now. They thought it was chicken pox, but he’s had the vaccine. I told them to check things out. A few out-of-town family members and one friend have had confirmed bed bugs in the past 1-2 years too. They've visited over the summer and we spent a lot of time together, but they stayed overnight in someone else's home. My family frequents schools, a large govt. office (daily), buses (daily), and I go to monthly meetings (lasting 2-3 hours) at a public housing/office building.

Our house is very cluttered. We have piles of clothes in two bedrooms and piles of books in my daughter's room. In my room, we keep the laundry and some suitcases. My spouse sleeps in another room in a fold-out bed with lots of crevices and no way to look underneath. There was a kind of large black streak on a pillow there that looked like tar, but that's been over a year. He’s the one with worsening eczema on his hands. We’ve looked mostly in my room/mattress and my daughter’s because the couch is impossible, and we haven’t torn apart all our box springs, dressers, etc.

I'm worried that bugs could be hiding in the clutter or deeper in our mattresses or other furniture. Wouldn't I notice more obvious signs of bed bugs out in the open by now though (no live suspicious bugs since October and no other even-possible fecal that we've seen), and have more evidence of bites? Or not necessarily? I'm hoping we aren't people whose bites don't show up (or that my husband has bites instead of eczema)!

Besides cleaning (which we have to do for the carpet beetles anyway), what should we do next to be more certain about ruling out bed bugs? Do you recommend having a dog come in for situations like ours - for peace of mind? Or do you think it's really unlikely we have a b.b. infestation -- that c.b.s are causing the debris and itching and "rashes?" Even after you didn't think my 1st photos were worrisome, I can't seem to stop my anxiety and constant looking for bugs (I'm getting worse and not sleeping much).

Thanks a lot!

2. Nervous BugHunter

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 4:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Still hoping for an expert ID on my new set of photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_7OAdMq-Rv9bXk2eFBCVUU2OEk?usp=sharing. The ones dated today (3/18) are a cluster of eggs that looked like specks of dust/dirt to the naked eye and the bug was a bit less than 1 millimeter long. Are the size and color inconsistent with a young bed bug (that's what I'm guessing and hoping). These were all on or just inside of our couch (where I've been finding the "dandruffy" looking bits) and an area that appeared to be a nest, with sticky "eggs?" I found an adult carpet beetle on the couch cushion too and we vacuumed it just a day or 2 ago...

Please also see the above comments about my situation. I remembered one other rash instance for me -- maybe 6-8 weeks ago. I got itchy tiny bumps around 1/2 of my mouth. I'd been having redness for a few days every time I brushed my teeth and assumed it was a developing allergy to it (I have several allergies) - it may still be, but thought it was worth mentioning. I've been sleeping with just a little bit of my face exposed. I checked out bite photos and my husband's red eczema and my friend's son's "chicken pox" both could potentially be b.b. bites.

I'm considering having a b.b. dog come in to put my mind at ease. I'd also like to look closer under beds and in our clothes/luggage piles, but now I'm worried I'll disturb a nest and any critters will scatter. Advice?

Thank you so much!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 10:29:42
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the correct link: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B_7OAdMq-Rv9UmU5WU42M2haVE0

Maybe you're copying the wrong info when you paste it.

"* Do you know what the long bug is that's pictured in #17-23? I'm thinking ant or roach?
    * What species would be associated with the strange spindly, "antler"-like conjoined pieces? They glow like legs or other see-through tissue (photos 13, 14 & 26-29)?
    * Photos 8 & 9 are hard to see, but there were several small, oval gelatinous items in a cluster. These were visible. Do you think they could be eggs from another species? Definitely not bed bugs, though?
    * The amount of visible debris on our sofa and laundry - and that it keeps appearing in spite of my daily cleaning and causes itching - still makes me nervous -- & it is also gelatinous-looking and much of it is oval. None looked like hatched b.b. eggs to you? Today I found signs of a possible small nest in one part of the couch, with similar things in it - sticky and hard to remove - nothing that looked like bed bugs, I think. Some of the new photos below are from there, and some from a bedroom."

You aren't used to looking at insects or arachnids, so small objects are being identified as being something like an insect or arachnid. They are just debris of various forms and of various shapes.

"I continue to find carpet beetles, but also bug carcasses that I can't identify. New photos are at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_7OAdMq-Rv9bXk2eFBCVUU2OEk?usp=sharing:
    * The 1st 3 photos are the same bug carcass -- it included attached legs and either a long "snout" or antenna; if you look closely, the 1/2 photo of it kind of shows you the shape of the "head." I’m including the carpet beetle larva photo because I'm wondering if the mystery carcass could be from a c.b. pupa? Or what?
    *The 4th photo is a squished bug on its back, so it's hard to see, but you can kind of make out the shape; I think I see wings, which would mean not a bed bug, correct, or do they have small vestigial wings that are visible from underneath? What species is it?
    * The last 2 photos look like a hatched egg sac to me with a strange red dot (blood)? What could that be?"

The dark, elongate object might be a carpet beetle larva that is free of body hair and dried up. Very difficult to say. Other object are just objects. No eggs.

Long post and am travelling so I'll have to comment in pieces. A good inspection by professional and/or canine might ease your fears.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Nervous BugHunter

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 16:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou, and safe travels! I put the second batch of photos in another folder, so there are actually 2 links. This one https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_7OAdMq-Rv9bXk2eFBCVUU2OEk?usp=sharing has better views, I think -- including a close-up bug of concern from the couch that doesn't look like carpet beetle to me because of its head shape and color, but it's less than 1 millimeter long...

Other new items: I found more sticky debris w. possible castings on box spring in a bedroom (looks similar to "nest" items I found in couch) and a tiny black dot on a bedroom wall by a bed. The dot came off onto a piece of tape in a smear. The smear was dark red brown, but also had lines of goopy white blobs with it - similar to mucus.

I so appreciate your help. I just don't know what's going on and feel like it's an odd case of something(s) that only an expert can figure out!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 7:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Nothing I am concerned with in the additional images. The only likely suspect to date seems to be carpet beetles.

Better to focus on that than forensically dissecting your home.

Hope that helps

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. Nervous BugHunter

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 20 2017 15:54:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much, David -- particularly the "forensically dissecting" my home comment. So funny! I admit to being overly anxious about the whole thing - to put it mildly...

I was thinking about having a dog inspection just to ease my mind, given that we have so much clutter around where critters could hide. I'll be de-cluttering over the next few weeks and wouldn't want to spread a problem (if one even exists beyond the c.b.s - odds just went down, whew!)...

Are dog inspections pretty accurate, or would I be opening myself to further anxiety with a false positive? I know - it's a waste of $ for sure, but I am not easily calmed down when it comes to a potential infestation.

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,487 posts in 42,163 topics over 127 months by 18,504 of 18,994 members. Latest: amybooks, imbuggingout, Okiguess