Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

peace of mind? possibly? looking for something, anything!

(3 posts)
  1. yesnewmexico

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 1:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all-- I guess looking for comfort or advice or similar stories.

I moved into pretty much a horrible "art studio" where the landlord (though I wouldn't really even call him that) told me it was fine to live in and the last guy "lived there for three years."

Long story short, the whole place was pretty much furnished (none of it mine) and also I realize now that was a HUGE mistake and red flag.

I lived there for three weeks but didn't spend about a solid week there, so two weeks total. Just this last week I woke up and had "bumps" on my shoulders. They didn't itch. The next two days however I woke up with multiple bedbug bites that turned into intense rashes/hives. I also saw mice at this point so realized how uninhabitable it was.

The entire time I lived there I never saw a bed bug but of course the bites were enough evidence this last week.

Given that I don't own a lot I decided to get out immediately. None of the furniture was mine and all I own really is clothing and a few objects like books, etc (which I boxed in plastic bins and am going to place strips in ASAP in storage, they're still there but also bagged and sealed so nothing can get in). Before I left I wrapped the mattress and boxspring in plastic and obviously left everything! While vacuuming multiple times, spreading diatomaceous earth around and spraying spray (I know, everyone says do Packtite and heat treatments and a professional etc etc but I literally can't afford ANY of that), I saw maybe 3 bugs total. They were smaller and always on the floor. The building itself is in total disrepair with holes in the wall and huge cracks in the floor. I assume they live there as I saw no eggs or other signs in the mattress or furniture etc when I left.

I doublebagged all of my clothing that was about three feet away from my bed in an enclosed armoire. I washed every single thing I own in the hottest water and did high heat dryer for 40 mins each. I bagged everything obviously in a new double bag loaded it into a car and moved.

I've been at my new place with a roommate for five days and am having terrifying paranoia like most people about bedbugs. I finally unpacked my clothing (except the bedding because that's too iffy for me) and did not see anything reminding myself that the washer/dryer killed anything. The only solid objects I brought with me are some herbal tinctures and my laptop computer that I used compressed air on and wiped with rubbing alcohol. They were also double bagged and have been cleaned multiple times because I'm anxious as all hell right now. I haven't seen anything yet but seeing that it seemed mild and more building specific and I followed all guidelines I've seen I'm really just HOPING someone has a similar success story. Mild infestation in a horrible building >> leaving everything but clothes and a computer and disinfecting them to the best of their ability on a budget >> coming out okay!?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 13:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Any chance you could post photos of the bugs you're finding? This sounds like it may have other possible causes and may not be bed bug related.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  3. yesnewmexico

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 22:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely bedbugs. Saw them. Small-- some were clearish and definitely in the nymph stage. Some slightly bigger!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7