PCO's projected treatment

(4 posts)
  1. starfree

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 10:29:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO I spoke with would be using 4 chemicals, including a residual and a dust; forgot to ask about steam/vaccuum. I also told him I had encasements and asked if they'd need to be thrown out after (got them a few days after getting a new mattress and box spring). He said no, but that they should be taken off so he could treat. He'd be treating the bedrooms and living rooms (upstairs and down, 2 family house). Is this a fairly standard treatment (he'd also be doing a second treatment two weeks later)? Also, cost would be $100 per bedroom, and includes the living room.

2. bugnut

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 11:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

starfree - it sounds reasonable - including the price. Try and find out what he is using so you know what to expect and can search this site for info. Suspend and Kicker are contact kills with some residuals. Phantom is a non-repellant with a long acting residual (recommended application every 28 days!) Tempo dust will kill all strains of bbs w/in 24 hours OF CONTACT, DE one week (I think) delta dust 72 hours. (Please check my facts on New york vs bedbugs search Tempo) very often Gentrol a growth inhibitor for males is used with Suspend or Phantom.

These are fact I learned during my treatments. Phantom is the "hot" chemical now because it is non repellant and lasts a long time and has shown little resistant to date. However, it takes a LONG time to kill them and I am losing it! My PCO used Tempo dust in hot spots also.

Did he tell you to bag your stuff or leave it? Prep sheets vary from PCO to PCO. I cleaned out my drawers and either washed and dried to very hot, or dry clothes in a HOT dryer for 1/2 hour. Suits and stuff are still in bags in the garage.

Good luck!

3. starfree

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 12:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

bugnut - 5 minutes ago  » 
    starfree - it sounds reasonable - including the price. Try and find out what he is using so you know what to expect and can search this site for info. Suspend and Kicker are contact kills with some residuals. Phantom is a non-repellant with a long acting residual (recommended application every 28 days!) Tempo dust will kill all strains of bbs w/in 24 hours OF CONTACT, DE one week (I think) delta dust 72 hours. (Please check my facts on New york vs bedbugs search Tempo) very often Gentrol a growth inhibitor for males is used with Suspend or Phantom.

Did he tell you to bag your stuff or leave it? Prep sheets vary from PCO to PCO. I cleaned out my drawers and either washed and dried to very hot, or dry clothes in a HOT dryer for 1/2 hour. Suits and stuff are still in bags in the garage.
    Good luck!

Thanks Bugnut. I have to give him a call later once I talk w/ by brother-in-law (he owns the place) about if it's a go or not and will try to find out exactly what he'll be using.

Yes, the pre-treatment says to remove all bedding from beds, empty all clothing from drawers and bureaus and put in garbage bags to wash (and put in new bags after washing); and same for clothes in closets; glad I bought a bunch of the XXL zip lock bags ($9.99 for a box of 3 on amazon.com). Also to remove all picture frames from walls and remove pictures (frames to be treated). Just had a thought: what about paintings? Have a couple of old painting in the living room, will they be harmed if treated? Anyway, that's pretty much the extent of the pre-treatment.

Thanks again!

4. Eve

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 14:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

starfree - 2 hours ago  » 
    Also to remove all picture frames from walls and remove pictures (frames to be treated). Just had a thought: what about paintings? Have a couple of old painting in the living room, will they be harmed if treated? Anyway, that's pretty much the extent of the pre-treatment.
    Thanks again!

In your place, I would be carefully removing the paintings from their frames and asking the PCO to inspect them and treat them extra special. If I didn't trust them to know what to do (PCO's aren't necessarily expert in art preservation), then I would probably isolate the actual paintings.

Maybe a quick call to a museum that does preservation (as opposed to a simple art gallery) would be helpful. Those people have plenty of experience with bugs.

The sad fact is that picture frames are a favourite hiding place and are definitely on a PCO's "must treat" list.

Eve

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,123 posts in 28,293 topics over 87 months by 12,191 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter