PCO treatment with no Preparation?(4 posts)
Hi, I've been having bug bites 1 or 2 welts every couple days all summer. I got my room checked once, and I was told there were no bed bugs. So I thought it might be mosquitoes since the summer was really bad this year. But after continuously having bites (confirmed by the dermatologist they were bites), I bought DE and started covering up when I went to bed. DE didn't stop the bites, but the covering up seems to have. My roommate and a couple of overnight guests, who stayed in the living room, were not bitten. and I never actually saw a bug. So it was like I had imaginary bug friends.
After many follow-ups with my super, I went to my management and got an exterminator to come in for roaches and mice, of which we have seen. I also asked him to check for bedbugs. He saw some markings on the corner of the bed. It's been 4 months since I've been getting bites, but he didn't think it was a bad infection and probably limited to my bed, he didn't really check any other furnishings/closets, but I asked to spray all over anyway, and he didn't treat the closet, but the threshold.
The exterminator sprayed with this really strong pesticide and had a bottle that he sprayed at the furniture. He sprayed the mattress cover, but didn't open the cover to look at the mattress itself. I asked him if it was ok for me to be there, and he said the sprays shouldn't be harmful, but to just not sleep on the bed for 4-5 hours. He said it wasn't necessary to remove or prep anything, since it wasn't bad, we only found one bed bug come out during the spraying.
Since reading these posts I'm questioning the expertise of the extermination company - which I have to use due to the building management's contract with them. Also I think I might be having an adverse reaction to the pesticides, I was coughing a bit when he sprayed and needed to open up one of the windows. I woke up with a headache and am now getting flu/allergy symptoms.
So I have a couple questions
1) I told the extermination company about my reaction and they said the chemicals they use are not harmful and I'm just coming down with a cold...do the pesticides have potentially harmful side effects?
2) When the exterminator comes again what I do I need to make sure they do exactly? Since they don't really seem to follow a process, I'm not sure where/what I need them to inspect or do to make sure the infestation is gone. Or if they're right that it's probably minor and just let it go if they do the minimum.
I'll take any advice you guys have on managing the PCO.
You are entitled to know what was sprayed and in what quantity. This would have been reported to the building management (it's on the docket slip). Tell them your doctor wants to know. And let us know what was used.
Some people don't react to bed bug bites. Although I don't think covering up would eliminate bed bug bites for very long (they will bite hands, face, etc.), it's possible you're reacting differently now, or that the bed bugs are gone.
Since your bites have stopped, and your roommates haven't reacted so far (which does not mean they were not bitten), you might want to use monitors to make sure you don't have bed bugs (see our Detection FAQ). If you do, you need retreatment until they're gone.
Thanks Nobugsonme. I called the company, and they used Transport and Sterifab. I looked it up on the EPA website, and the classification is Neonicotinoid; Pyrethroid, and the active ingredients are Acetamiprid; Bifenthrin.They pretty much sprayed all the floorboards, the bed frame and around the bed and furniture.
I'm actually sicker today. I opened a window before I left for work, but I'm wondering if there's anything over the counter I can take, just because I could have mild exposure.
Thank you for your advice.
Isopropyl alcohol, with d-phenothrin
Transport MSDS (PDF):
ACTIVE INGREDIENT(S): Bifenthrin*; Acetamiprid**
CHEMICAL FAMILY: Pyrethroid*; Neonicotinoid**
POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS: Effects from overexposure may result from either
swallowing or coming into contact with the skin or eyes. Signs of exposure include ataxia, tachypnea, tremors, chromorhinorrhea, lethargy, sagging eyelids, shallow breathing and abdominal bloating. Contact with bifenthrin may occasionally produce skin sensations such as rashes, numbing, burning or tingling. These skin sensations are reversible and usually subside within 12 hours.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED: None presently known.
I am not an expert on pesticides or their possible medical effects. If you are not feeling well and think this may be pesticide-related, you should take the MSDS sheets to your medical professional.
You might also consider asking for the amounts used. I believe this is supposed to be part of the report PMPs give to the customer, at least here in NY. The quantity of product applied can make a difference to how it affects you.
You must log in to post.