Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

PCO REFUSES to inspect the apartment/PCO Recommendation - Upper Bronx/Westcheste

(13 posts)
  1. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 12:43:32
    #

Login to Send PM

After having my apartment treated unsuccessfully by one PCO (the one my landlord paid for, and as I detailed in earlier posts), and having recurring bites, I called my own PCO, as I'm now getting some serious bites.

The new PCO, from a national chain, came in, and REFUSED to inspect potential problem areas. Instead, he quoted the price for the treatments, and insisted that despite me not seeing anything in weeks in my apartment, he would have to treat the entire apartment. He said that its company policy to have the clients report incidents on their own, and that they don't look into specific areas. I find this odd.

As such, I'm looking for a recommendation for a PCO in the Upper Bronx/Westchester area. Thanks

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 13:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The new PCO, from a national chain, came in, and REFUSED to inspect potential problem areas. Instead, he quoted the price for the treatments...He said that its company policy to have the clients report incidents on their own, and that they don't look into specific areas. I find this odd.
    ----------
    Not only "odd" but disturbing. And btw this is not uncommon with PCO's, as I found out personally.

Not sure if he works in your area, but we have a PCO with excellent credentials who posts here under the name of "KillerQueen". You can PM him here, or contact him directly through his company, boot a pest: http://www.yelp.com/biz/boot-a-pest-inc-west-hempstead

One of the things that I like about him is that he makes a point to do a thorough inspection, which IMO is as important -- if not more important -- than the actual extermination process.

Richard

3. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 13:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Richard -

I just called, no one picked up. I'll try in a bit. He's quite a bit aways from here, not sure he would come out, but thanks for the suggestion.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 13:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

BeeGee - 1 hour ago  » 
    After having my apartment treated unsuccessfully by one PCO (the one my landlord paid for, and as I detailed in earlier posts), and having recurring bites, I called my own PCO, as I'm now getting some serious bites.
    The new PCO, from a national chain, came in, and REFUSED to inspect potential problem areas. Instead, he quoted the price for the treatments, and insisted that despite me not seeing anything in weeks in my apartment, he would have to treat the entire apartment. He said that its company policy to have the clients report incidents on their own, and that they don't look into specific areas. I find this odd.
    As such, I'm looking for a recommendation for a PCO in the Upper Bronx/Westchester area. Thanks

I believe that treating without any evidence of bed bugs is illegal in NY.

If I were you, I would report this to their customer service department. They may not even be aware of what their techs are doing. If they are, they have some 'splainin' to do.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 14:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

BG: He said that its company policy to have the clients report incidents on their own, and that they don't look into specific areas. I find this odd.

NB: I believe that treating without any evidence of bed bugs is illegal in NY.
    -------------------
    I think they get around this by "clients report incidents on their own". At least what I found was that all you had to do was say you suspect you have bed bugs and just about any PCO in NYC will come and treat. One high-profile PCO who is often on the news stated to me that his company will not inspect because they are so hard to find. He did offer -- on prodding -- the name of an outside canine service, but would have been more than willing to treat my place simply based solely on my history of blood spots on pillowcases and sheets. There were one or two exceptions where they did recommend a canine search first (their own dogs) but these were recommendations and not requirements for treatment. In other words, they still would have come over and treated on inconclusive evidence had I said I didn't want a dog search.

Richard

6. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 18:21:49
    #

Login to Send PM

NB: The whole picture was really off. He was an "inspector", not even the treatment person, but he refused to inspect anything. He claimed he didn't want to pass it along to the next customer, but I feel that legitimate PCO's have procedures to address this. He was more of a slick salesman.

Richard: I agree. I don't know the laws, but its an easy way around it.

All: Suggestions/recommendations? Still looking for local people. Thx.

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 18:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendation Richard!

BeeGee, I don't generally do inspections in your area. If you can't find anyone in a timely fashion, give my office a call and I'll see what I can do for you.

8. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 22:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Killer. The sooner the better....I'm cannon fodder at night.

9. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 11 2010 22:29:08
    #

Login to Send PM

NAME THE CULPRIT.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 2:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

BeeGee - 8 hours ago  » 
    NB: The whole picture was really off. He was an "inspector", not even the treatment person, but he refused to inspect anything. He claimed he didn't want to pass it along to the next customer, but I feel that legitimate PCO's have procedures to address this. He was more of a slick salesman.

I still think it is worth a call to a manager. Firms do not always know what their employees are doing.

If "an inspection" was what the company was calling this, you should call them out about it.

11. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 12 2010 18:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

If he was a licensed pest control operator, aren't there professional organizations you can contact such as the Pest Management Association to report this kind of behavior? Or the Better Business Bureau? Angie's List? Yelp? There are other boards where you can post a factual personal story of whom you hired and the quality of service they provided. But I agree with Nobugs that contacting a manager first is the way to go.

This is purely speculative fiction on my part from here on out, but I almost wonder if this so-called inspector might be afraid of bed bugs and might not want to inspect because he is afraid of getting them himself? Notice that he isn't the one who comes in and treats, either. I wonder if instead of being a person in the pest control industry who rose from a job treating bugs to a job selling pest control services, this guy instead was a salesman in another industry, who during the economic downturn could only get a sales job "selling" bed bug treatments. It certainly is a growing field. Again, this is totally speculation but his behavior seems out of line for a bed bug inspector but his being afraid of getting bed bugs could explain some things. Notify his parent company or supervisor. Ask them if this is how their company "inspects," why don't they simply do the "inspection" by phone?

12. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 19:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

And They're Back!!!!!!

Found a live one on top of my sheet, as I walked in the door this evening. I have double-sided tape on all the bed legs, and glue traps here and there, with no evidence, just this single live one. After 3+ weeks with no bites, I decided perhaps the original PCO was indeed effective. In fact, he came in today, and declared us fully clean. Apparently not.

So, still looking for a recommendation for a legitimate, effective PCO in the upper Bronx/Westchester/NYC area. Thanks!

13. BeeGee

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 19:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - PM sent.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982