PCO recommendation for Toronto

(8 posts)
  1. F@ Bed Bugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 3 2008 13:37:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old post, but hopefully someone can answer this. I have read all the posts here and nobody has mentioned Reliable Pest Control which is the company I am dealing with. They have been in business for a long long time and their advertisement in the phone book says "Bedbug experts". They sprayed once 2 months ago after I encountered the bastards at a motel in Niagara Falls and was worried I brought some home. Since I was not sure they did a general spray and I am sure the bastards are still there, so they are coming on Saturday to do a thorough treatment. I am wondering if anyone else in the Toronto area has dealt with this company.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 1:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug and Scrub -- no one has used them yet here but they seem really interesting to me. I would guess they are getting good training and advice because they are related to the city's bed bug project.

They also have a sliding scale fee! They do treatment and apparently also help with prep if needed.

I posted their info and # in this thread:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/assistance-for-the-disabled-in-toronto

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Formerly Bugged

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 5 2008 2:47:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I talked to my husband, and he says the building uses Good Day Pest Control.

I believe they are headquarted in Brampton.

As a bit of background - we moved from a building that was massively infested. We didn't bring any with us thankfully, and were clear for 6 months+ before the move.

After a year of living in this new building (which is an absolutely amazing apartment, amazing building! I love it i love it i love it!) the long-time superintendant was being moved to a different building. So they hired a replacement, who showed up on his first day (which was actually a week after the previous super left) and wasn't going to work out (told them he was single, arrived with a wife and 4 kids - the only apartments in this building are bachelors and 1-bedrooms!)... so they were desperate.

It worked in our favour. We lived next door to the last super, and the weekend when there was no one here there were like 2 flooded apartments and a bunch of other emergencies. Since we heard people knocking on the super's old door, my husband went to tell them he was gone, and ended up dealing with all the problems. (The on-call part-time assistant wasn't answering her phone!!!)

So Monday morning they asked for his resume, and he started work on Tuesday. He's been the super for about 6 months, and the building's never been better apparently.

He inherited a couple of infested apartments. In 6 months there's been 4 infestations in this building (one woman left everything behind and just walked away!... I now have a nice new laptop that she tossed, after it was treated). He's been using Good Day, keeping on top of inspections whenever anyone says anything about bugs, And knows exactly what to do and what to look for. Being a smaller building of aboutt 260 units he knows every one and they know him... there's a trust/bond with the tenants, and no secrets kept. Our experiences has sure helped him in dealing with these issues.

Good Day does all the routing maintenance spraying around here, and also the calls for infestations. They've vikaned/gassed/treated the infested apartments and areas (and truckfuls of belongings) and nothing has spread to any other units. The fact that we're in a late 1950's building with solid concrete - interior AND exterior - walls has helped. There's no real access between apartments.

Good Day is apparently amazed with this place. They said it's probably the only building downtown with not one case of bedbugs. Their calls are about 90% bedbugs at this point, and they are apparently really knowledgable about dealing with them. My husband recommends them 100%!

I know that just because you're in a building with them doesn't mean you can't protect yourself... but I sleep easier knowing we're starting fresh in a non-infested building. A lot of tenants here are lifers - been here 30 years or more. There's a turnraround of students of course. But the hubby and office manager pre-screen every tenant who is looking for an apartment here or applies here, and they're vigilent about keeping it for professional class tenants, and keeping out the crack addicts and sketchy types that totally overran our last building. He knows who in the building is a threat - when it comes to Craigslist furniture etc. - and keeps a closer eye on their units. We're also able to do a book exchange and used furniture exchange in the laundry room and garbage area of the underground, knowing nothing gets passed from place to place. He's able to see and inspect anything tossed out, and cleans it all with Murphy's oil soap or dusts with DE if there's any chance that someone will snatch it up (either in the building or from the back garbage bins/street).

Anyway - a little rambling... but the bottom line is that Good Day has a good rep!

4. new2bugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 28 2009 22:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

It does seem that methods and actions are all over the place. We just recently had our place done by Naylor Pest Control. They also used steam and vacuum plus DE dust and spray on in certain places. They provided us with written material on their protocol and how to prepare for treatment. Their follow up was on schedule and we have not had a problem since. Also, everytime we called we reached someone immediately, or if I had to leave a message my call was returned within minutes. I can't compare with the other companies because I have never had to use them, but I do know our experience was positive and would use them again but hopefully it will never be for bedbugs again!

5. DragonFlight

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 29 2009 7:03:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Formerly Bugged - It does sound like you are doing a excellent job in that building. The building I live ( which is in Toronto) they don't screen very well at all, the superintendents don't want to do really anything, they are very self-absorbed. If they don't like you, they don't help you and usually they don't like you if your not out to collect brownie points as if they were presidents. I've lived in this building a long time, and they are new to take over the building just a few years ago and never have I seen it gone down hill since they took over, also the landlord doesn't escape from this either he put them there and help create the mess.

We have some real trash living across from us, who moved in not even a year ago and they have Bed Bugs. It seems as though they enjoy living with them to a extent, and they are mostly young people who occupy the unit, although there is a parent living with them, the parent allows what goes on, which all I can say is if you visit there unit you're walking out with some guests with you.

We cleaned up a lot of stuff and threw out a lot of stuff, but that is because we are going to move soon, not just cause of the problems in the building but this has been something we wanted to do for a few years now already, but sometimes it can take some as you don't want to make the wrong decision and I don't want to move into another building.

What is the name and phone number of the PCO you recommend ?

6. OneEyeOpen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2009 0:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

RE: CAIN / ALSO...How to prove bbs to get LL to pay for treatment??

I started getting bites first week of May, didn't know what it was. Right away suspected bed bugs, but no sign on my mattress, so assumed something else. Then, one night SAW adult one and finally realized it WAS bb's. I phoned Toronto Public Health a few days later and they showed up here on May 14, I think it was. I showed them a few of my bites and a couple bb's that I had captured.

By mid May I had a plan in place for future steaming treatment and had already started IPM chores in my bedroom. I also had a bb sniffing dog come in so I could focus my efforts on target areas. I had phoned and left msg for LL, but also sent letter about 3rd week in May. I let her know she could contact Public Health or Leap Pest control for confirmation of my bb problem.

At the very end of May, my LL came to my apt with Cain to 'inspect' the apt.

After spending less than 10 minutes in my apt, looking only at my bed and sofa [both have already been vacuumed several times] Carlo of Cain saw no 'sign' of bb's and so LL has determined she doesn't need to do anything.

I don't want to stop my treatment plan now just because I'm not getting big bites. I can't tell if I'm getting small bites or not, itchy in some places, but hard to tell for sure if new bites. One recent set of two spots on my back makes me think 70% likely to be bites, but not CERTAIN and the itchy spots I have now are nowhere like or as many as the obvious red bites I was getting the beginning of May. I have already vacuumed bed, baseboards and all floors thoroughly several times and been doing laundry ad nauseam. I am almost finished encasing everything in bedrm in plastic and I'm continuing to prepare apt for steaming. I'm concerned that if I stop now that maybe some egg/s or small bb might be missed and problem could resurface again in a few weeks/months. And I can't go thru all this again [almost daily vacuuming/laundry]-- don't have the energy or the money.

Anyone know what we have to prove to get LL to pay?

I know from reading this forum that some pco's take over an hour to search a room to find bbs in light problems like mine, where no severe infestation. I probably only had maybe 8bbs? Most bites I had at one time was somewhere between 15 and 25. Cain didn't look anywhere else in my bedrm but the bed and I've already cleaned any areas possible of the mattress and boxspring and dusted with DE. Also, the felt is still stapled on the underside so can't see the wood crevices inside. [I'm waiting to take that fabric off til treatment day]

I've done a very good job with the IPM, but sucks to be penalized in that now can't get treatment paid for simply because LOOKS like I've solved problem!

The areas that had fecal spots and skin sheddings have already been cleaned and I didn't think to take pics of them first. LL says the 2 small ones I caught and put in pill bottle "could have come from anywhere."

I do have photographs of the bites I had in early May, however, and a written statement of the bb dog's alerts.

Anyone been to Landlord Tenant Board over this?

What does it take to prove steaming and/or chemical trtmt is necessary?

Thanks.

7. smash

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2009 18:33:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in Toronto and my building management uses (or used the past three times they were required in my unit last year) a company called 'Magical Pest Control Inc.'

Now that the bbs are back after almost a year, I'm trying to be even more proactive and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I can't find much online about them review wise and their website is generic. Anyone have any experience with them here?

http://www.magicalpest.ca/

(Sorry if we aren't allowed to post websites on here, I didn't see anything against it in the Terms of Use)

8. twitchyscratchy

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 15:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

don't use addison! even though they were really nice, i feel they were inexperienced, and unprofessional (2+ hours late for appointments, didn't give me a receipt when i requested one, had never seen the big ziplocks and asked me where i got them!).

not to mention their website doesn't work...

they were cheap. and you get what you pay for.

stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

(we're still getting bites)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,596 posts in 43,507 topics over 131 months by 19,061 of 19,650 members. Latest: lexie0490, onyva, Ruth989