Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Pco has treated 4 times!! Should i get a different one??

(7 posts)
  1. michelep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 8:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello so at one point I thought to write on this website as a success story but quickly had that destroyed after getting bitten on the 3 rd week after a pco treatment hahaha that was a funy thought. Heres my story..soooo we discorved we had bed bugs in April. My sister told me the horrific news after i sent her a pico of one i found (she had them before from traveling out of the country) she got rid of them with vaccuming encasements and bleach but her problem was just a few bugs..and not all over the house.. Immediately I started to do research and all of that and started diy (DE, climb ups, and bed bug killer (amazon works too! Has killed many bed bugs iv seen on my bed), encasements for the bed and THE COUCH 300$ for both but i got the couch encasements after the third treatment) anyways weeks later it ended up a bust so we ended up searching for a pco in our area, ended up on a website called thumbtack which finds exterminators in ur area. I got many quotes ranging in prices. Initially i picked one that was 550 to treat all three floors in my home. (I live in a row home) but he ended up bailing and claiming to have broke down on the highway. This was terrible and pissed us off bc we had did a lot of prep work and took off work. So i picked someone else our cheapest bet but also had good reviews. His price was 250 to treat the entire home!! I called them and they were very kind and came out next day.

So he never actually treated the "entire home" only the furniture that we slept on or were getting bittten. He came to my house with a big pump and thats all. He inspected all the rooms but that was just a quick look and tug. He sprayed our couch and two beds. He found four bed bugs in our couch and none on the beds. Our infestation was definitely mild. We get bitten maybe once or twice every couple of days. THREE treatments later releif we felt like! We hadnt gotten bittin in two weeks but that third week was hell. We started getting bit again the problem got worse. Bites everyday on the couch and in the bedrooms again. We called the pco but his mom passed and he was taking time off. Idk if this was true or not bc he was getting reviews online about him coming out that week he took off we messaged them multiple times and no response after about two weeks ended up calling and they didn't answer i messaged agin and they finally responded(this company is a local one and is ran by the pcos wife and himself)....so it had been 4 weeks after hes stepped into this house. Right before he came i was sitting on the steps for about 15-20 mins and bam i got bitten so badly half my knee was a welt. He charged me 125 for retreatment and sprayed the around the couch and the floors, he always sprayed the steps and my room (third time) he just came friday and its now sunday. We both still got bitten in our bed with one bite each. Just wondering whether or not hes just not a good pco or hes just missing some. Iv read sm on this site and he doesnt do even half of what some of the pcos do here. He doesnt dust or have a mask he just comes in with a jug looking thing and sprays.

Now here are some other things to note as well...he has sprayed our couch and iv looked at the couch after hes treated it and seen dead bugs so it works but im afraid hes just not doing enough. Please comment what u think i should do or what will happen. Will i ever get rid of them????
    Praying ill look back on this and laugh about how this was a complete nightmare...I honestly feel like i will never rid myself.

2. michelep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 8:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant to say that he ALSO sparyed my steps and bedrooms not "always" sorry for confusion.

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 15:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

He is not a good pco, period. Just treating furniture and beds is not enough except in very isolated cases. If he's not wearing a mask I wonder if he's just using a contact killer and not a residual. Bed bugs hide in the smallest cracks and crevices and are near impossible to kill all of them with just a contact killer. That's why residuals are a big part of treating for bed bugs. Eventually they have to come out and feed and that's when they cross the poison.

With bed bugs, most the time it's better to pay the extra price to get a quality pco in.

Do more research... understand what it takes to really kill and exterminate bed bugs. Try to understand the bug. Understand the treatments pcos offer and the chemicals they use if that's the way they treat. That way, when you get a different pco, you can ask him the proper questions that will help you determine if they are a good pco or not.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 22:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Six years ago the apartment management sent in a PCO. He came in with only a pump never asked any questions and never wore a mask. He never even properly inspected the sofa I had at that time. I had to ask him to upend it and take a look at the underside. Whatever he sprayed gave me a slught asthmatic reaction, although I am normally not asthmatic. He returned for seven treatments. I still saw nymphs that had fed on my blood-- and after that I gave up and moved into a different unit with almost nothing. That worked. I was able to stay bug free for a long time. I still live in the same building and it still uses the same PCO.

5. michelep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 22:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for ur reply! Def has helped me. So i just asked what kind of spray he sprays and he said he sprays both contact and residual. He said he also sprays growth regulator? Not sure what that is but any info would help. Thank u!

6. michelep

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 22:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Battleofthebug--well that sounds terrible! I seriously hope thats not my case..i wish i could move out but i owe this home. have u ever encountered the bugs after that? If so how or what did u do to get rid of them. I wonder if they ever were to get rid of them at ur old place. Thats crazy that these pcos do half ass jobs and have a license.

7. mp7ski

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jul 18 2017 18:37:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Growth regulators are suppose to effect the nymph stage of bed bugs by hindering their ability to molt or grow to the next stage. Growth regulators are used for multiple different pests. The thing is is that recent studies have shown growth regulators almost have no effect on bed bugs.

That's the issue with bed bug pcos. The majority of them don't know what it really takes to eridicate bed bugs and if they do, there are often other variables that keep them from eradicating them fully. Half the work has to come from you as well in the form of prep and precautions. On top of that, resistance to chemicals makes it even harder even if you and the pco do the work.

Nowadays, with the resistance factor, spraying with chemicals just doesn't cut it. It often takes the use of heat treatments, steam, proper disposal of heavily infested items, chemicals, desiccant dusts, among other things.

It's hard work and good pcos willing to put in the work with you are often impossible to find in most areas.

A pco should use multiple approaches like I said before, not just a contact killer and a residual. Ideally they'd start with a high temp. steamer, steaming infested furniture and baseboards which would take hours on end. Then follow up with chemicals, treating furniture, baseboards and cracks and crevices. And finally a desiccant dust such as Cimexa would be applied as well. Then a follow up or two after two weeks.

That is just one approach but it's one I would want if I were to have a pco treat without the use of a heat treatment or vikane.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

264,021 posts in 42,681 topics over 129 months by 18,732 of 19,280 members. Latest: Maybebedbugs, Vincent601, bedbug