Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

PCO confirmed my fears today... Now what?

(46 posts)
  1. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 0:41:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I apologize in advance if I ramble on in this post, it's been a hell of a day/past few weeks. I had my inspection done today and after thoroghly checking the toddler bed and king size bed one lone bug was found on the queen size box spring. No other evidence was seen, no eggs, shells, fecal stains, etc. My living room furniture was also inspected and nothing was found. I have decided to have heat treatment as soon as I can pay for it. The company has a 30 day guarantee, is this standard? And can anyone tell me their experiences with heat treatment? I have upstairs neighbors that just moved in and I don't know how treatment will affect them, my landlord has resolved himself of any and all responsibility. I'm terrified that it won't work. And now for the back story if anyone is interested, I actually had bed bugs 4 years ago, in a different house. No one else wanted to cooperate with treatment so the only way out was to move with only our heat treated clothing. We moved and bought everything brand new and I had forgotten what it was like to live in a constant state of anxiety and woe. Fast forward 4 years and out of nowhere my son has some bumps, I immediately thought bedbugs but I tried to be rational, what are the chances of getting them again, right? I thought maybe it was flea bites from visiting people with animals. He was sporadically bitten 3 more times over the course of 6 weeks. I conducted my own investigation and came up empty so finally I had the PCO come. I have so many questions, how did this happen to me again? Is there any chance the we just picked up one stray bug? I'm so worried that I might have spread them to my family during the holidays. How do I explain all this to my 4 year old without giving him issues as well? On top of everything I have pretty bad anxiety in general so dealing with this ultimately consumes me. I will appreciate any and all thoughts, advice, opinions.

2. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 1:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Your landlord may be responsible to pay no matter what they say.
    I would not pay for treatment in an apartment. If your neighbours have them, you may just get them again.
    Treatment just to your apartment might spread them to the neighbours.
    I'm surprised your PCO didn't tell you this.
    Could be a stray bug that hitchhiked on a visitor.
    With no other evidence, I would get some passive monitors (much cheaper than a treatment that I think is wasted money in an apartment).

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 1:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I plan on discussing this with the property manager tomorrow, because you are exactly right. I live in a duplex and when it starts getting hot down here they will just run upstairs. What scares me is my rental recently exchanged hands and the new owner is more of a DIY guy. And I would never allow them to set off bombs or something. I'd rather move again and just pack everything up and leave it in storage for 2 years again. I'm gonna get monitors and just keep an eye on the situation. I am reactive to the bites also so I'm gonna know either way. I'm just in total disbelief that I'm going through this again. I have vowed that I will never let my guard down again. I will always follow the protocol of stripping down and putting everything in the dryer as soon as we get home. I won't even look at a yard sale or thrift store as long as I live... Thanks for your reply, logically I'm inclined to agree with you that treating would be a waste of money (that we really can't afford anyway but I'd rather drown in debt than be an all night buffet) but in my super paranoid state I just want to DO something. I've already begun the bagging and drying process, and steamed the aforementioned box spring and steamed my couch as a precaution bc my son spends a lot of time sitting there. Just gonna keep at it I suppose. I just hate that I will never feel normal again. Even after they're dead I'll always be thinking about getting them again. It took over 2 years for the anxiety to subside last time.... What a great start to the new year eh?

4. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 2:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Could the bed bug have come from your neighbor?

5. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 9:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think so, they officially moved in after the first bite reaction. Unless they brought stuff in beforehand and I didn't notice or the property manager brought something or someone to the apt during the showings. Does anyone know what the law is in PA regarding treatment for tenants? I feel like the only surefire way to eradicate them would be to treat the entire duplex, which my landlord would have to pay for.

6. Mizlizkitty

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 10:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You might want to check out the city codes for where you live. I am in NYC and the landlord can be reported to the city and fined etc. In the meantime monitor your apartment for signs. And if you catch one or find evidence hold onto to it.

7. Mizlizkitty

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 10:22:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats just what i was posting-your particular city/county should have laws regarding this situation.

BuggeddOutt - 22 minutes ago  » 
    I don't think so, they officially moved in after the first bite reaction. Unless they brought stuff in beforehand and I didn't notice or the property manager brought something or someone to the apt during the showings. Does anyone know what the law is in PA regarding treatment for tenants? I feel like the only surefire way to eradicate them would be to treat the entire duplex, which my landlord would have to pay for.

8. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 13:35:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Who is responsible for exterminating?
    In Pennsylvania, the warranty of habitability is implied by law into every residential lease. The
    warranty of habitability requires landlords to provide safe and sanitary conditions for tenants. An
    apartment or house infested with bed bugs is not in safe and sanitary condition. A tenant cannot waive his
    or her rights under the warranty of habitability in the lease. If your landlord refuses to hire an
    exterminator, you could contact your local Code Enforcement/Building Standards office. An officer
    should come out to inspect the home and issue a citation to the landlord if an infestation exists. You may
    also be able to be reimbursed for the costs of extermination if your landlord refuses to exterminate and
    you pay for the extermination yourself. Call North Penn Legal Services (NPLS) for more information.

9. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 13:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I found so far, I spoke to the property manager this morning and he says they aren't liable for treatment costs. He did at least agree to having an inspection done upstairs. And I explained the possible complications of only treating my unit. I just feel pretty hopeless at this point. I have a theory that this might have come from a family member, I don't go to their house but they come to mine and ride in my car sometimes. It seems that they have been experiencing "hives" that started right before my son's first bites which occurred after they had been visiting. So the timeline fits, but they insist that it's only hives and that they have checked for bed bugs. But it just seems too coincidental. Having bed bugs makes me trust no one.

10. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 19:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggeddOutt - 6 hours ago  » 
    That's what I found so far, I spoke to the property manager this morning and he says they aren't liable for treatment costs.

https://www.chesco.org/928/Bed-Bugs

11. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 20:33:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you

12. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Jan 15 2018 1:43:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I am really needing some help in deciding what to do. I'm terrified that heat treatment won't work bc they would only be treating the first floor and not the second (duplex) so the bugs would just go up where it's not being heated and spread them to my neighbors. I feel like every day we aren't getting treatment is a day wasted and more eggs laid. My mental health is already being severely impacted. I've basically quarantined myself to my house. I just don't know where to start. Does chemical work if you follow the prep? I just can't stand the thought of them breeding. Every bite I see on my 4 year old makes me cry. I need help guys. I literally cannot live with this. I'm already considering leaving everything behind and just starting over again. I appreciate any and all thoughts or advice. I need words of encouragement and possibly a referral for good companies in PA.

13. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 1:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

If chemical is not done to all floors, bugs might move and come back.
    I would have another talk with the building manager about the legalities of paying and the potential for movement of the bugs between neighbours.

14. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 10:49:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I did speak to him again yesterday, he still maintains that they aren't responsible. They had an inspection scheduled for upstairs and my neighbors conveniently weren't home for the inspection to be performed. He basically said if upstairs is clear then they won't be paying for treatment up there unless something happens. He doesn't realize I'll be wasting my time, money, and effort for a failed treatment. I had a company basically say they would do my treatment but couldn't give me a guarantee if the upstairs isn't treated at the same time. They offered to cut the landlord a deal and he refused saying they would use a different company should issues arise. I'm just sick over this whole situation. In between a rock and a hard place so to speak. I have 2 more companies coming to do estimates today and tomorrow.

15. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 17:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you really need to consult and find out for sure if the landlord is responsible to pay for treatment in your area.
    I sympathize, you're in a bad situation.
    Is the heat treatment followed up with a chemical residual?

16. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 18:21:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't thank you enough for your replies and sympathy. I had another company come today, we worked with them before for an ant problem (paid for by my previous angel of a landlord who sold the house to my current asshole landlord) and he said this issue is very minimal. He found a dead unfed nymph on my couch but nothing else. He's confident he can rid me of this infestation with the usual chemical treatment schedule (3 treatments every 2 weeks) and has a 60 day warranty. He is also the most affordable of all the other companies. I'm still waiting to hear about what's going on with the inspection upstairs but I'm pretty sure my neighbor are clear as of now. I think I caught this early and I'm hoping to be free from it all soon. I am going to get something in writing from the landlord stating that they are aware of the risk of prolonged infestation should they choose not to treat upstairs and that if the neighbors or I should have issues in the future they will be held fully financially responsible for all treatment costs. I put up with enough nonsense in this house with faulty wiring and other structural issues. I don't deserve their poor treatment of the situation, I am a good tenant and always pay my rent on time or even early, I deserve better from them in regards to this issue. But thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate it!

17. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 18:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

And to answer your question the heat would also include chemical.

18. bugged-cdn

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 20:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The landlord is required to pay for treatments to eliminate your bed bug problem. That's a fact-- he can say whatever he wants, he's still on the hook.

He is however not obligated to treat adjoining units if those tenants aren't reporting issues. Obviously that isn't an ideal situation but that's how it is.

19. thirdusername

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 16 2018 23:39:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 3 hours ago  » 
    The landlord is required to pay for treatments to eliminate your bed bug problem. That's a fact-- he can say whatever he wants, he's still on the hook.

Suing is probably not easy.
    It is a tough choice.

bugged-cdn - 3 hours ago  » 
    He is however not obligated to treat adjoining units if those tenants aren't reporting issues.

Interesting to know.
    I suspected they didn't treat my neighbours.

20. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 17 2018 9:16:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I do believe he should be required to pay, buy I can't fight with him about it now. I want to get treatment ASAP. I'm going to give them a chance to make things right after it's all said and done but if not then I plan on just nailing them to the wall with code enforcement and asking for reimbursement. I understand they aren't responsible to treat the neighbors unless they have an issue but I have seen many times where preventative measures were taken for adjoining units, especially in duplex situations bc it is technically one house with everything connected. I would think that they wouldn't want to risk problems down the road but I guess not. We've decided to have chemical treatment so I'm hoping and praying that it will work. It seems like the best option for our situation.

21. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 14:42:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure if I should start a new thread but we should be starting treatment next week. I opted for the standard chemical treatment of 3 treatments every 2 weeks. I'm getting all my prep done currently and have some questions. Has anyone had any luck with putting shoes in the dryer? I'm so worried I'm gonna break my dryer and then I'd be majorly screwed. And for all the stuff that can't go in the dryer I've been bagging it up and putting it in my deep freezer, which is outside and once everything is in there it won't be opened for any reason whatsoever but I read on a few other threads that this might not be effective? I was thinking maybe leave it in there until summer and then put everything in bins with nuvan strips just to be safe? I'm not gonna miss any of the stuff in there for awhile. I just don't want to take any chances. Should I bring the stuff back in during treatment? Also my curtains have like a plastic backing on them, should I just get new curtains? I'm not sure my current ones would survive the dryer. My PCO said to just dry my bedding and curtains, he said I didn't even have to treat my clothes but I'm doing it anyway. I'm also worried about all of my son's toys, should I wash everything with hot bleach water? Also any suggestions on how to kill time during treatment? My husband will be at work but me and my 4 year old don't really have anywhere to go bc I still don't know where the bugs came from so I'm concerned about going to visit family or friends for the day.

22. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Jan 19 2018 15:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Alright guys seems like the dryer is a no go, at least for ugg type boots, I used an old pair for a test run and they are decimated. My good pair went through a hot wash twice and are currently air drying. I checked them with a flashlight and didn't see anything but I'm still not sure if they are safe? I really can't afford a packtite right now, I had to apply for a loan just to pay for treatment. Ugh.

23. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Jan 20 2018 21:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

More questions. Okay so I'm definitely getting treatment this week. I obviously need to remove all the bedding and dry it on high. I'm wondering if I can bag it all up tightly in the morning and dry it after I'm able to come home 4 hours after the treatment is over. There's just no way of me getting it all through the dryer before I have to leave in the morning. I just want this treatment to work and I don't want to make any mistakes. Any suggestions on things I might forget? Unfortunately I have a lot of stuff and I want to make things easy on my PCO so I'm trying to throw away as much as I possibly can. I have someone coming with a trailer to haul some stuff away but I'm not sure they can come before my first treatment. Ugh. I need this to be successful. I've noticed an uptake in bites recently so I'm worried the infestation is getting worse.

24. Pattycake

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Jan 21 2018 11:10:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Try looking up a Thermal Strike. I found it to be affordable and after a year it still works fine. It appears flimsy but I moved 1200 miles away and it packed up and reset up just fine.Also it is quite large. Holds my large comfortable and even some small side tables.

25. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Sun Jan 21 2018 11:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the suggestion.

26. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 23 2018 11:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to say, first treatment is tomorrow. He's using an alternation of transport mikron and temprid. I'm nearly finished with prep and haven't seen a bug or any other evidence other than the dead unfed nymph under my couch and the original adult found on my box spring. Wish me luck, pray for me, send some positive vibes, anything. I'll be updating this thread until we can change it to a success story!!

27. BuggeddOutt

Posted 8 months ago
    Wed Jan 24 2018 14:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

First treatment is done! PCO said he saw nothing? No bugs, eggs, etc. He said he was very thorough and hit up all the obvious places they would cross to feed. It's all so strange. He's gonna follow up in 2 to 3 weeks depending on his schedule. He's confident I only need 2 treatments but should I push for 3? I'd rather deal with it all now than have a surprise in a month or so.

28. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 23:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Just thought I'd give an update. I'm still unsure about what to do with the bags of stuff in my deep freezer. Do I bring it back in during treatment? The reason I'm concerned is bc it's all stuff that was in my bedroom with close proximity to the bed. Maybe just keep it in the freezer until I can get a packtite? It's been 1 week since the 1st spray and I'm still getting bitten which I expect is probably normal. I just can't wait for this to be over. Not only for me but for my family, it's hard when you can't just live normally. It's exhausting keeping everything bagged and binned and steamed. I just keep praying that it's all worth it and the treatment is a success. My only concern is that my PCO isn't seeing much evidence so I'm worried that they are harbored in the structure of the house itself. And I worry that he won't come back during the warranty period without evidence.

29. jacksonsi

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 23:13:38
    #

Login to Send PM

How about Nuvan strips ? You can place some items in a sealed tote or bag for a couple of weeks . You can order them from Amazon

30. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Feb 5 2018 14:07:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm honestly thinking about just throwing away whatever won't survive the dryer. I read that nuvan strips work best when it's warmer so I'd have to wait a while. I'd have to have the bins outside.

Update: 2nd treatment is this Friday. Still getting bites and have blood on sheets but can't actually find any bugs. The upstairs neighbors (duplex) were inspected and are clear. Now I just need to pray that the bugs stay down here and die rather than spread upstairs. I really think this was a limited exposure and it was caught early enough to be successful but maybe that's just wishful thinking. What really bothers me now is not knowing how I got them or where they came from. I feel like I need to strip down when I get home for the rest of my life and that nowhere is safe to go. I'm very hesitant to ever visit anyone's home again and I won't ever travel. I also won't be allowing anyone to come to my house or ride in my car. It feels like a miserable way to live but I just can't risk going through this again. *Sigh*

31. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Feb 9 2018 13:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

2nd treatment is done. Once again he found nothing. How is this possible? And it only takes him about an hour to treat. I'm starting to think maybe I made a mistake in my choice of PCO. Last treatment will be in 2-3 weeks again. I'm just so tired of it all. I had 4 separate bite occurrences plus blood on my husband's side of the bed (he's not reactive) over the past 2 weeks but somehow there's no evidence anywhere? Ugh.

32. Rose101

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 16:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you encase your mattress? Also, I have read deep freezing is not a great strategy. Personally I would take those items and have the pco treat them. I feel for you as I am fighting a recent battle myself. I am currently trying to dust them out with a chemical dust but I will be hiring a pco to treat my home with Apprehend if that doesn’t clear them. This is a terrible way to live

33. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 20:03:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Didn't get encasements yet, my PCO didn't say I needed them and I worry about them tearing in the future and starting the whole process all over again. My PCO did say that the freezer wasn't a good idea so it'll go through the dryer and if it gets ruined oh well. I completely agree this is a terrible way to live. Some days are okay but the treatment process is so draining, mentally, physically, and financially. I rarely leave my house bc I find it too stressful and I worry about bugs being everywhere, in the taxi, at the doctor's, the library. That's the worst part, not knowing how I got them so I feel like everywhere is unsafe.

34. Rose101

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 22:38:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m not sure what is worse...the anxiety or not being able to talk to anyone about it. I feel like Telling anyone is tantamount to social suicide.

35. Buggedoff0509

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 23:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thinking of you. I have a 5yo and 2yo and I get Mama Bear on the bugs as well. I really feel better when I do my best to stay tidied. Change sheets frequently and sweep. I also use interceptors on all beds and couches. I use diatomaceous earth and a eco spray I purchased on Amazon.

It helps my sanity so much. I hate feeling helpless. When we first started treatment this way there were dead bugs under the beds and in the diatomaceous earth on floor in bedroom. You can do this!

It might help to use citrus Dr bronner soap on your little one before bed every night? We use lavender but thinking on it if my sons were presently getting bit I would add this to my arsenal.

Full disclosure I'm not a pro. Just a mom trying to empower another anxious mom. Please pm me OP to chat if you need to unload.

36. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 23:04:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I just gauge it based on my relationship with the person. I've told a few family members bc they could've been at risk and I told one friend bc they could tell I was such an emotional wreck. It's hard having to deal with it alone. Not many people understand that it's not just a bug, it's not like having ants or spiders. It's very consuming. That's why this forum is a lifesaver, I lurked on here 4 years ago and that's how I managed to move away bed bug free. And now dealing with this again, it's just nice to know that I'm not alone.

37. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 23:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply buggedoff. Surprisingly, and knock on wood, my son has been bite free for just over a month. Which I'm so thankful for, his skin is so sensitive that I can still clearly see his old bites. I'm thinking if this PCO treatment doesn't work and they don't come back during the warranty I will just self treat. I will be much more thorough anyway. I've heard good things about ecoraider, how are you faring in the war on bugs? I have been compulsively cleaning for weeks, I already have OCD and anxiety and I'll often clean my way through panic attacks so adding bugs into the mix has been pretty bad. I have to stop myself sometimes bc I don't want to lose all my marbles lol. My PCO jokes that he's also my therapist :/

38. Buggedoff0509

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 10 2018 23:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We totally eliminated a small infestation over two years ago. This was really just bagging non important items, changing sheets daily and washing on hot and using the DE under the bed. I only knew we had them because I saw an adult on a white comforter coming out of the dryer.

We moved and had no issues until my stepson visited and was getting bites at night. I found one live one after he left. I started with the earth again and cleaning but added the ecoraider and interceptors this time. I never see any evidence of bugs. I found one inside a bed frame screw and ecoraided all the bed frames and mattress. Interceptors are always empty. My oldest son is highly allergic and always gets the most bites and he hasn't been getting bit. My husband just noticed a bite on his elbow this week so we're planning on spraying tomorrow. It could be a flea or spider but the spray puts my mind at ease. If they don't like the spray I figure they'll climb into an interceptor or maybe find their way to the earth under the bed or along the walls. Another nice thing about the eco raider is it says you can spray a cloth and add it to a bag of items you want to treat.

I personally have anxiety as well, particularly health anxiety. deep breaths. At the end of the day it's just a bug being a bug. We're not the only ones dealing with it. At least we're on top of it and preventing a big infestation! I really think some ppl don't realize they have it. Like you said about the family member who thought they had hives. Totally jelly of your steamer as well!

39. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Feb 11 2018 0:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for suggesting the ecoraider, good to know it works. Hopefully my treatment is successful and I never have to use it but at least I feel like I have a back up plan. Someone on here said that BBs are just flightless mosquitos and that helps a little bit to think of them that way lol. I feel foolish that a tiny bug can cause so much havoc in my life. I just keep doing what I can and praying that the treatment works. I think most people don't automatically assume bedbugs unless they had them before. They still think it was just hives, and they've cleared up now but I still feel uneasy. I use attachments on my shark steam mop, I have no idea what temp it gets to but it makes me feel better lol. I can't thank you enough for your replies, it really helps on the tough days to know that other people are going through the same thing. Having BBs can be so isolating, it just helps me feel more "normal" to get to talk to someone about it. I hope that your battle is over soon. I know it's not easy, especially with kids. It seems like you're doing pretty good though and hopefully things only get better from here.

40. BuggeddOutt

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Feb 23 2018 19:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Third and final treatment was completed today. Once again my PCO saw nothing. No bugs dead or alive, no fecal, shells, etc. Nothing. I continue to be perplexed. I have a 60 day warranty but I feel pretty optimistic about the situation. At this point I've done just about all I can do. I'm going to try to be a little more normal and just see what happens. I'll be back to update once we reach the 60 day mark of no buggy activity. Take care all and thanks for all the help so far!

41. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Feb 24 2018 0:39:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad it seems your treatment seems successful! Someone said they get Mama Bear on the bugs thinking of her kids, and that is exactly how I feel! I have had bites and so has my son, but I get so upset thinking of them getting him. I am not even sure that we have BB's, and in fact a PCO came out today who didn't find traces of anything. However, once it's been long enough for a K9 unit to come out here I"m going to to do it--they couldn't come yet as had already sprayed our couch/living room out of fear. My mental health has suffered so much even thinking we may have them--and I'm still not even convinced, as my son went to the dermatologist today and he actually had new bites--and she thought they looked like bites too

42. BuggeddOutt

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Mar 12 2018 12:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopeitsnotbugs: I really sympathize with your situation, I hope it's really not BBs. I also had my son to the doc in the beginning and she said bug bites but actually said she didn't think they were from bedbugs. Just goes to show that bites are only a small piece of a much bigger puzzle. I wish you luck!

Update: well I thought that I was getting better. I managed to stay off the forum and stop obsessing. I stopped some of my more ridiculous procedures, like changing my socks after walking into my bedroom. I woke up today feeling so positive. It's been so long since we've seen anything and my son hasn't been bit since January 8th. And then it happened, my 4 year old informs me that he saw "ants" crawling on the couch. Bedbug mode activated. I flipped the couch and didn't see anything, blankets are in the wash now. I'm just back to square one now mentally. I don't even know what to do. I'm so sick of this.

43. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Mar 12 2018 22:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

BuggeddOutt - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hopeitsnotbugs: I really sympathize with your situation, I hope it's really not BBs. I also had my son to the doc in the beginning and she said bug bites but actually said she didn't think they were from bedbugs. Just goes to show that bites are only a small piece of a much bigger puzzle. I wish you luck!
    Update: well I thought that I was getting better. I managed to stay off the forum and stop obsessing. I stopped some of my more ridiculous procedures, like changing my socks after walking into my bedroom. I woke up today feeling so positive. It's been so long since we've seen anything and my son hasn't been bit since January 8th. And then it happened, my 4 year old informs me that he saw "ants" crawling on the couch. Bedbug mode activated. I flipped the couch and didn't see anything, blankets are in the wash now. I'm just back to square one now mentally. I don't even know what to do. I'm so sick of this.

I hope the "ants" that you son saw really are just ants, or some other kind of bug. It's quite possible. We have always had a lot of bugs at our house and most don't bother me as we live near a lot of plants and vegetation and ha, but every time I see something moving I freak out. Just today I was taking the sheets off our bed and saw something crawling across! I looked very closely, but it wasn't a bed bug. This whole BB experience is only one of the worst I've had in my life, even though I logically I know there are things that are much worse.

I had a k9 at my house, and the dog alerted in 8 spots, including my husband's truck. His truck may have been a false positive, because my husband really inspected where the dog alerted and found stinkbug eggs. PCO's are coming out on Friday to treat, although my husband is very resistant as we've never found any solid visual evidence. However, I got bit recently after not having been bit in over 2 weeks, and my daughter got bit several times as well. I just want it to be over with already.

44. BuggeddOutt

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Mar 13 2018 10:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry that you are also dealing with bedbugs. I hope the treatment is an easy success! Logic goes out the window for me while I'm dealing with this, I'm really not joking when I say I think I have PTSD. I'm going into therapy once I'm bb free. Anyway it is strange that nothing was found in your home but if it's still early then I suppose it's possible.
    As far as the "ants" on the couch, what's frustrating is that it really could have been ants. We've had little black house ants off and on since we live in this home. And I've already seen one or two on the couch last summer. My son will take sweets in the living room and just the day before he spilled sugar from a baby bottle pop on the floor. So it really could have been ants, but I just can't shake the thought of bedbugs. I guess I need to reset the clock for my 60 days. The residual pesticide should be effective for another 2 weeks so if ANYTHING out of the ordinary happens after that then I'm calling my PCO for a 4th treatment. I'm ready to put this all behind me and move on with my life.

I wish you so much luck hopeitsnotbugs and I'll say a prayer that you and your family are bb free soon!

45. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Mar 13 2018 22:08:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I totally know what you mean about having PTSD from this experience! I told my husband I need to be put on anti-anxiety meds, and I wasn't joking. Truthfullly, I've probably had a bit of anxiety/depression for awhile, but I guess this was my "wake-up call" that I need to do something about it. I got in a car accident a few days after Christmas, and even though physically I was fine (other than aggravating my back a bit), my car was totaled and I had to get a new car. My anxiety from that was not nearly as pronounced/prolonged as it has been with this whole BB ordeal.

I hope you don't have bed bugs again and it's just some other kind of bug and you are BB free too! We get ants in our family room too in the spring/summer

46. BuggeddOutt

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Mar 15 2018 11:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry about your accident, I couldn't even imagine. I'm glad you are okay though physically. I also have some mental health issues that have been just under the surface for a long time, and just suspecting I had bedbugs, before it was even confirmed had me a nevous wreck. It's awful how badly they can turn your life upside down. I have good days now though, since we had treatment, I'm able to not let it rule my life constantly and when I do think about it I feel kind of silly for all the "precautions" I took. I'm staying positive about the supposed ants. I personally haven't seen anything and no one has any bites or suspicious skin reactions. We've already had ants in winter as well so it's very likely. Then again it could've been nothing at all. My son will freak out and think a hair ball or dust bunny is a spider. So I reset the clock and I'm just taking it one day at a time.
    Good luck with treatment tomorrow!!! I pray that it goes well and you'll be bb free in no time! We have so many other worries in life, especially as mothers, we don't need to be worrying over bedbugs!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,474 posts in 46,340 topics over 141 months by 20,423 of 21,263 members. Latest: Chronic, Irina0210, Nosleep247