(8 posts)
  1. worriedinsf

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 6 2017 19:50:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I’m wondering if I’ve placed my passive monitors correctly? First off, two things: my mattress is encased - in just a moving bag that’s duct taped shut. (Not an explicit encasement bag.) It’s been that way for several years. And there is no box spring.

I have a platform bed with slats. And have placed one monitor on the first slat closest to the headboard and under my head, in the center of the slat and it’s underneath so it’s facing the floor. The second monitor is behind the headboard itself, in the center.

Are these placements suitable enough to exhibit correct monitoring? I’ve been getting periodically bitten for several weeks now and am afraid it’s still in the early nymph feeding stages. How long would it roughly take for bed bugs to gravitate to the monitors, assuming they are positioned correctly?

Thanks.

2. worriedinsf

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 6 2017 20:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding the two passive monitors: I purchased them from this site and they been attached in those locations since late 2013. I assume they would still be effective, correct?

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 9:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are both fine and correct.

If the bed is only occupied on side side I would move the one on the back of the headboard to the center side of the "forks" that attach to the base on the occupied side. To be clear this is in the range of 0.02% efficiency increase so its a not need to rush to do it.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. worriedinsf

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 7 2017 15:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. I guess I should've mentioned that the headboard is stand-alone and not part of the original platform bed. I bought it separately. They are pushed close together but not 'buckled/joined' together as it were.

It's just me in a full size bed, with the left side pushed to near the wall. (It's a very tight space. I live in a studio so it's actually inside what would be a walk-in closet. I know, tight.)

Thanks again.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 7:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would need to see a picture to fully appreciate the detail but I get the gist. When I first moved to London my salary as a scientist was so low the only place close to work (South Kensington) meant I could lay in bed and wiggle my fingers through the cracks in the front wall into the street. It did however allow me to save the funds to get a deposit down on a place at the end of the market crash and many moons later its almost mortgage free. We do tough things but hard work always pays off eventually.

I will try and distill down in my mind a very simple way to make a clear set of principles to illustrate installation guidelines for advanced placement. The ones that come with the product (PackTite, Ensystex and BedBugMonitors branded) are a good general guide and cover 99.9% of situations, especially when combined with the FlickR album below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjQYxVmE

However, I appreciate that people often had a different mindset associated with bed bugs and thus a different tone of communication can sometimes be needed.

• Head end on bed base or top slate
    • On most occupied side or in towards the darkest corner if bed is against two walls
    • Check no more than once a week when bed bugs are an active concern, routine checking is monthly in domestic settings
    • Change annually for optimal detection
    • 7 days clear in a non isolated bed is a good sign and 14 days is all clear
    • The device does not prevent people from bringing bed bugs into their home but allows very early detection

Should you have an issue it may be solved by simply removing and replacing the monitors, the essence of TbyPMR and the optimal solution to being proactive when it comes to bed bugs. If you do have a tripped monitor once sealed in a zip lock bag we recommend offering to send it to aid with academic field sample collection projects as they are often able to harvest adults and unfed 1st instar nymphs from the device with little or no work and they are protected during transit with the aid of a simple padded envelope (you would be forgiven for thinking someone has spent a lot of time working the creases out of this one).

Hope that makes it all super clear.

David

6. worriedinsf

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 22:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Much appreciate the informative (and humorous) response. My place sounds downright spacious compared to yours. But like London, San Francisco is a pricey town - so we do what we gotta do indeed.

Looking at the Flickr photos, I think I'll have to reposition mine. Currently they are essentially parallel to each other. One is on the upper most platform slat (essentially under my head). But I have it on the underside of the slat - so it’s facing the floor. Not under the mattress. Is that correct/OK? (I included a photo of it below.) The mattress sits snug so there is no space to place it on the top side of that slate. Looking again, it’s actually next to that central beam that runs down the middle of the frame and not on it. I guess I should place it on top of the central beam, facing up perhaps?

The other is directly behind the headboard - opposite my head. I guess I should move that one closer to the dark inner corner? Not sure if I should keep it on the headboard though - since it’s not attached to the bed frame. Or place it on the bed frame corner itself. On the outside of the frame facing the wall vs on the inside of the frame facing back to the bed area.

If you're curious, I did take a few photos of the walk-in closet/bedroom combo. Along with a photo of the under-slat placement. And the dark wall corner nearest my head.

http://imgur.com/a/R8CC2

Again I appreciate your patience and thoroughness. And have to say, I truly am surprised at the academic field sample mailing suggestion. Cuz yeah, I’d have thought they’d have gotten that part down by now. Who knew?

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 6:38:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Fear not I moved after 6 moths and now have a 3 bed with 3 mortgage payments left. Torn between selling up and retiring (25 years of property growth is a lot) or waiting 10 more years and really getting out.

Have written about upside down monitors before, it is not an issue due to conversed behaviour when it comes to bed bugs toilet habits (they are a tail down culture unless micturating).

Personally in that "snug" set up I would have gone top slat far corner head end. Simple and easy to check. If you want a secondary use the "cross brace" at the head end between the edge and the top slat.

The funny thing is that the public get more out of me than academia, after all since this site they know how to ask. I am not one to go around over disclosing because some of the levels that we observe bed bugs under are not typical, take the example of "toilet behaviour", how many thought to place bed bugs in different orientations and observe their toilet routines for weeks. I think that list is still just one or two world wide. For years I have been working on my approach to how I share this detailed knowledge through staff training, from an information architecture perspective it is a complex task as even I have gaps in my knowledge that have to be interlaced with a complex network of hypotheses some of which we are not even close to be able to prove because technology is simply not sensitive enough and the methods to establish epigenetic links are still research pipe dreams.

There is a lot of knowledge we still cant claim as fact and just as I often describe images as having layers of detail the subject itself does. Too much information can however be destructive to some people as the natural pull of the subject can drag them in too far and its pull become difficult to get out from. I fear the only solution then becomes working in the field.

Take care.

David

8. worriedinsf

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 9 2017 20:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks yet again David. And damn. Only 3 mortgage payments left. That is an achievement. At least you seem to have some time to mull over your options while soon banking those payments. (A nice place to be, needless to say.)

I've repositioned as suggested. They are both placed on the underside of the slat and crossbeam. For the top slat far corner head end, it had to go underneath because the mattress would otherwise sit on top of and cover the monitor. (Which I assume isn't ideal.) The crossbeam space on the top wasn't actually wide enough to fit the monitor, so I placed it on the underside.

Your site is truly a hands-on invaluable resource. (I’m sure others here would agree.) As is your responsiveness and thoughtful explanations. I would not be surprised if you have several academic folks who are lurkers here. Or periodically turn to you as a known resource in the field. I would imagine some would be responsive in collaborating/comparing notes. And ultimately flesh out some type of training curriculum. On the flip side, academia is often a ‘publish or perish’ career environment. So perhaps some don’t wanna share in the ‘limelight’ as it were. Regardless I’m very grateful you’re accessible!

Thanks again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234