Passive Monitor Installation Check

(8 posts)
  1. bugged84

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 1:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone confirm this is a good spot for my passive monitor installation? It's one of those Ikea Malm beds,

http://imgur.com/a/uGPNh
    http://imgur.com/a/aBiDu

My mattress sits right up against this, I'm sorta worried to covers the top part, but the bottom has plenty of access. Also, it's stuck on to the white treated wood, can BB's crawl ok on this finished material?

I got this monitor in Vancouver, BC and I've been told its an older model, any problems with this version I should be aware of?

It's been in place for a couple of months. No signs, but I have very sensitive skin and flair up fairly often, and some older looking bite which don't seem to go away. I had a BB issue in my previous apartment and added this product for peace of mind in my new place.

I have one extra trap if you think I should add it somewhere else on the bed?

I did check the installation photos on the flickr as recommended by the installation instructions.

Thanks to David for putting this out on the market.

Daniel

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 7:02:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would have installed as below:

laminateslattedtomiddlebed by David Cain, on Flickr

The headboard on that style of bed can be very smooth to a bed bug and as such they are less likely to walk to that position than where I have indicated above.

There are a few small tweaks to the current PackTite manufactured version which do make it slightly more efficient and a better build quality. While this should not effect the outcome in your situation I know the manufacturing date on that unit would have been a significant time ago. Not an issue in your case but something I would encourage others to think about in the future when they purchase.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bugged84

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 13:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply David.

I just went to see if I could install the extra one I have in the position you show above. The monitor is too big to fit between the wooden slats. I thought it would be ok with the wooden slats resting on the white cardboard part, but the plastic part of the unit is also too big.

Closer image: http://imgur.com/a/DgOjO

Any advice? Thanks.

4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 10 2017 20:30:26
    #

Login to Send PM

What makes the bed bugs choose the passive monitor versus a crevice in the frame?

Account closed
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 8:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Move it 3 inches towards the middle and align with the back of the headboard and its perfect.

I appreciate it will over hang the slats but that's fine.

David

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 8:44:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 12 hours ago  » 
    What makes the bed bugs choose the passive monitor versus a crevice in the frame?

The same thing that makes a bird use a bird box despite the fact it has many options in your average garden to build a nest.

Crevices are natural homes but some homes are more desirable than others. If you spend a few years studying their preferences you see that there are feature they prefer and if you put all of them together you basically get exactly what I have designed and that has been working for my clients since 2009.

David

7. bugged84

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

So would this be the new correct position?

http://imgur.com/a/ocywq

Given that it won't fit between the wooden slats / or underneath them, should it be stuck on top as per the image above?

I understand that the adhesive is very sticky, is there anything I can put this on top of, so next time I move I can remove the wooden slats without destroying the monitor?

Thank you so much for your replies. I'm hopeful I can get this right second time round.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 21:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

That location is fine.

If you still have the protective waxy sheet, you could try keeping that or finding something similar. It also depends on how quickly you move as they should be replaced annually anyway.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,672 posts in 41,791 topics over 127 months by 18,329 of 18,798 members. Latest: jc12345, san16969, ritam23