Packtite Passive Monitor Placement question

(2 posts)
  1. Watt

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 14:23:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I just received a passive monitor in the mail and had a question about placement.. I have a mattress (no box spring or headboard) already in an encasement. The bed is supported by wooden slats. Should I put the monitor on top of the slats, or on the underside of the slats? Would the monitor being upside-down on the underside make any difference?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Mon Mar 13 2017 8:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It does not matter which. The design of the device ensures that when bed bugs defecate they do so in a "tail down" motion with regards the orientation of the bed bug. As such even when the device is install upside down from a human per perspective from a bed bug perspective its normal. This means that they drop their tail down and literally "lay" the deposit.

Although in cartoon form and with added newspaper (yes Lou I appreciate BB News is not their preferred text (and no John I am not crediting them with being able to read)) the point is illustrated with this graphic.

BedBugPassiveMonitor002 by David Cain, on Flickr

The more astute may have also picked up on the bed bug carrying the clothing bundle which is a sign that they move into the device as well. Obviously we are not claiming that they literally carry a stick and a bundle around with them but it is a good analogy as you would struggle to find a more optimal harbourage in peoples homes and just as we seek protection as a species so do bed bugs.

To install where you are most likely to look at it on a regular basis. We often advise that if the top slat underside is used that slat is not screwed back in place to make it easier to check.

To touch upon that "ease of check" issue for a second. This is actually the weakest link in any system. If the task is too complex or has a level of complexity associated with it then fatigue sets in. For example I can train housekeepers to detect like demons but after 3 months the task fails due to fatigue and having not found anything. We actually offered this service from 2007 - 2008 and stopped it because "respectfully the training did not fail your staffs implementations of searches did" is a fault trace you don't want to give too often. It was more cost effective to have them call in for support on an ad hoc basis. While this may seem the end of the road for some it actually failed to address the clients initial "need", that being the reduction in guest complaints as a result of infestations. That goal is only acheive through a more proactive strategy.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

PS Sorry if its a long winded answer but I must be in a sharing mood today.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,259 posts in 42,970 topics over 129 months by 18,854 of 19,412 members. Latest: sleeptitesoon, CatherineM, freakingout123