Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Oval-ish, dark brown hard "seeds" on bed?

(11 posts)
  1. smj412

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Dec 18 2010 16:51:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been finding these seeds every once in a while on my bed. I lived in a different apartment last year, one that had major bedbug and roach issues, and while I never seemed to get bit, my roommate did many times. I would find "seeds" like this on my bed probably about once or twice every other month. They treated our apartment several times, both with chemicals and the heat treatment. We moved out at the end of the year because we couldn't take it anymore, and all the stuff was in the garage at my parents' home over the summer for storage. Only one chair was taken inside the house, and now they have bedbug problems That's being dealt with, but in the meantime, I just found this seed today on my bed at the new apartment. Again, I haven't been bit at all (that I've noticed), and I don't really see any of the typical signs on my bed (blood spots, etc), but I'm worried that maybe they came along for the ride...the "seeds" don't look like bugs at all, no legs or anything, and are hard...I'm hoping that maybe someone could help me figure out if they are related to bedbugs, other bugs, or nothing to be worried about. I do eat in my room sometimes, but not on the bed, and I definitely didn't eat anything that had seeds today. Thanks in advance!

Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/maluchic86/IMG_1444.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/maluchic86/IMG_1447.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/maluchic86/IMG_1448.jpg

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Dec 18 2010 17:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Someone reported something similar and later found they had a leaking heating pillow, or eye mask, or something of that nature that contained seeds.

Update: here you go.

I wonder if it could be something similar? Heating pads, booties, the kind that go in the microwave?
    A "bean"-filled toy may also be filled with seeds.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. smj412

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Dec 18 2010 21:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the help, nobugsonme! I tried to think of anything that might have had beans/seeds in it, like those items you suggested, and can't think of anything. I only ever find them on the bed too, which is weird. Usually on the blanket, but once in a while on the box spring or the bottom edge of the mattress. I'm going to try and keep an eye out for when the next one pops up and pay closer attention to what I'm using on or around the bed, in case it is spilling out from something like that. Thanks again

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 19 2010 2:44:21
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome!

Do you have pets? If so, they may be tracking seeds in from other locations in the home where they are more likely.

5. smj412

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Dec 19 2010 10:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, no pets...just me and my roommate, and we don't really go into each others' bedrooms very often. My sister did stay over for two days, so maybe it was something she had with her? It's just that this wasn't the first time that it's happened, and I don't think that she was around the other times I found the seeds. I am gonna try to be more observant lol. Thanks again

6. becca880

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 17:26:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually found a similar seed like thing before the PCO came the second time. I also recently found a white one, same shape but smaller, in my bed. I think these might actually be their shells... And yes I am freaking out.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 17:55:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Those are seeds. You will never find BB evidence that is that smooth.

As for white and dark with similar shapes, for example, immature watermelon seeds are white and darken as the melon matures.

Jim

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 20 2010 18:19:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% seed and not BB related.

I was going to suggest planting a few to see what came up but from the dark colour I think its a heat sterilised seed such as the ones previously noted from sleep masks.

Good clear photography though.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  9. Perthparanoia

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 3:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

i als found one or two of those seed like things before noticing the bugs but i dont have any masks or other stuff on my bed..

10. pinupchick

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 29 2010 13:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

They look kind of like flax seeds. I sometimes find flax seeds in my bed, or couch, or floor, if I've eaten something with them (bagel, bread etc.). I guess flax, like bedbugs, are good hitchhikers? Flax is in everything these days. flax seeds

11. emt

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 18 2011 13:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the same exact problem. I just noticed these exact seeds in my bed and on the carpet. I have never been exposed to bedbugs and have no signs of anything else. I cleaned up everything and found no sign of rodents but have no idea where they came from!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.