Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Our story and what to do about hardwood floors?

(2 posts)
  1. NotLuckyInKentucky

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 8 2011 10:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Our story isn't unlike all the other stories on the forum. Our problem started when my teen step-daughter brought them home since that is where they originated. Of course, we don't know how long we had them or where they came from. There are several guesses, but none of them really add up given how bad the infestation was in her bed.

So, one night she was out of the house. I decided to lay in her bed and watch TV. I see a bug out of the corner of my eye and flick it off the bed. Then here comes another marching by I do the same. And then another and I'm all, "Okay, there is no way I just flicked the same bug off this bed three times!" The boyfriend and I investigated and sure enough it was bed bugs. No doubt about it. We go buy some stuff at Lowes labeled for Bed Bugs, get home and realize we are pretty much not supposed to spray this stuff on anything. WTF? Why even sell it. We decide to spray the bed anyway. We see one on our bed later on, but figure it's just something we carried to the bed as we don't find them on our bed when we investigate.

Fast forward a few months and I am getting bitten. We investigate and find a couple on our bed. We vacuum and clean and wash everything and think we have it licked. We don't realize that the other bed is STILL infested. To make a long story short in a year we have managed to infest every bed in 3 bedrooms. That's 6 beds! We've gotten rid of all them but two and we have the remaining 2 cased. Needless to say we are still struggling to get rid of them. We believe they are living in our floorboards. We live in an 1930' house. The floor boards have very large cracks between them. We are at our wits end! We can't find them anywhere. Sure, THEY find us at night, but we know through experimentation that they are NOT on the bed when we go to sleep. New blow up mattress, pillows and freshly laundered sheets and they still managed to get to us.

We called an exterminator and we just can't afford it! They told us they would spray, dust and have us bag up everything and put these strips in the bags for 10 days. They also said they would bag up the beds in plastic with these strips as well. They want $250 a room! I figure we can do this ourselves if we are cautious. Thing is how do we treat the hardwood floors? Will dust alone do it? I can't see us caulking the entire floor! HELP?!

2. NotLuckyInKentucky

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 12:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: We called Terminix (Can I say that?) and they came out and quoted us a low quote, $700 to treat two bedrooms and "containment" for two other rooms, bedroom and living room. They came in and said they were going to treat two bedrooms and contain a bedroom and our living room. We basically had to bag and store everything we own minus furniture which we had pretty much already done. They sprayed, dusted and CO2'ed our remaining two beds. They spent 37 minutes here. I am skeptical, but hopeful. So far we haven't seen anything, but then again we usually don't when we "treat" for them ourselves. We just end up seeing bites on our son. He doesn't have any bites and it's been 4 days. They didn't treat our stuff at all and didn't really answer our questions when we had concerns about it. They said we had to keep EVERYTHING bagged/stored for 45 days and if they cleared us free of bugs we could basically go back to living normally. After reading the horror stories on here and experiencing our own struggles with these invisible bugs we are very skeptical. Should I just try to relax about it and hope for the best? We do not plan on bringing out stuff back in 45 days. We plan on using one of those strips in our storage building first. Any thoughts?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,811 posts in 29,339 topics over 90 months by 12,652 of 19,905 members. Latest: HowBr003, Wtf.hellnoin NJ, anxiety high