Other bugs that bleed red?

(8 posts)
  1. Ilovepink1908

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 9:27:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    Those that have read my posts, know that I'm the queen of bed bug paranoia. But, I've got a question this morning that I want to bounce off some experts. What sort of spider like bug could bleed red? And could it have been a bed bug, looking pretty much like a spider?

This morning, I was at my boyfriends house. Took off night clothes this morning, put them in hamper and put on my clothes. I stayed around for a second, picked up my stuff (things from the refrigerator) and headed to my car, which was parked under a tree. I then realized there was a parking ticket on my windshield that was folded over, picked it up and put it beside me in the car. About five minutes later, I noticed a bug crawling on my hand. It was stretched like a spider--in fact, when I saw it, I processed that it was a spider but did not count the legs. It had brown legs (lighter than the body) and the body was black/brown. I hit it and to my horror, it bled red. I knew it was blood because it responded to peroxide when I got home. I saved the body, but it is too squished up, although I can say it's legs curled like a spider on one side but the others are mangled around it's body (hanging off and so forth--others came off in my hand).

So, my question is, what other bugs could do this? I honestly don't think it's a bb because I have no bites (I'm very, very sensitive and react quickly), check the BF's bed every time I sleep in it or am over there and find no signs of bed bugs (just bed old age), and I just got cleared by a KillerQueen about two weeks ago. What else could he be though? For background, my boyfriend doesn't have any bites and they're aware of what BBs are, including his younger sister whose boyfriend had them a year ago and his brother who had them before. The house is also full of other insects of all kinds. Any ideas here?I don't want to freak out, but the thing really did look like a spider, but I squashed it so bad, there's really no way of identifying it now.

2. Ilovepink1908

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 19:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all--so as an update, I took the mystery bug to Terminix (don't laugh that I did that, or the fact that I went to Terminix) and four technicians said that what I caught was definitely not a bed bug, but is probably some kind of mite. According to them, it was a bit too small, looked more spidery like I thought and didn't have the body shape of a bed bug. That's kinda scary, too, since apparently really only bird and mouse mites can feed on humans (hence the blood) from my understanding (experts, correct if wrong). My boyfriend did have a mouse running loose at his house a few months ago which was caught, but I've never had any irritation whatsoever--me, the completely sensitive skin person who's always paranoid. My skin has just been itchy per usual, but no bonafide bites or issues. And, let's not forget that the random bug could not be a mite of any kind, but maybe came from the outside of the car.

With this being said, I guess I'll run the bug over to the Cornell Co-op tomorrow and see what they say. It's still a bit squished, but at least the techs at Terminix knew enough to tell me what I had wasn't a bb. Does anyone have any ideas with this dilemma.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 21:32:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Google up clover mites. Look close?

Jim

4. Ilovepink1908

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 21:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim, why actually, yes it does--the more brown looking ones though (I've seen the red, and I would have known them off bat). But, I thought clover mites bleed red but that's just the color--not actually blood. Why would it have responded to the peroxide?

If it is a clover mite though, that would make a whole heck of sense, especially because of the whole parking ticket thing.

5. Ilovepink1908

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 21:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, Jim, it would make sense because the bug's actual body part is about a half a mm or 3/4s. With the legs extended (before the killing) that would be the right size or so.

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 21:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Peroxide fizzes when exposed to catalase.

From here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalase

All known animals use catalase in every organ, with particularly high concentrations occurring in the liver. One unique use of catalase occurs in bombardier beetle. The beetle has two sets of chemicals ordinarily stored separately in its paired glands. The larger of the pair, the storage chamber or reservoir, contains hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide, whereas the smaller of the pair, the reaction chamber, contains catalases and peroxidases. To activate the noxious spray, the beetle mixes the contents of the two compartments, causing oxygen to be liberated from hydrogen peroxide. The oxygen oxidizes the hydroquinones and also acts as the propellant.[22] The oxidation reaction is very exothermic (ΔH = −202.8 kJ/mol) which rapidly heats the mixture to the boiling point.[23]

Catalase is also universal among plants, and many fungi are also high producers of the enzyme.[24]

Very few aerobic microorganisms that do not use catalase are known.

No reason to think that a smashed creature will not have catalase available to induce fizz.

Basically a smashed creature fizzing is no guarantee of the presense of human blood.

Jim

7. Ilovepink1908

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 22:11:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, Jim. That's great to know! The thought had crossed my mind that his organs might make it fizz, but I couldn't find anything to justify online. This makes all the sense in the world considering that I never saw a clover mite in my adult life until moving to this area. And, they are quite popular. I'm just used to seeing the young red ones, not adult brown/black.

Out of curiosity, would you like it if I sent you the critter in the mail? He's pretty squished, but wouldn't mind some help (I trust Terminix, but if the BF has something else and it's not a clover mite, huge problems).

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 23:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Other mites can be red (not from having taken a blood meal - body is red) such as erythraeids, some of these can be found crawling about on buildings, on ground, so many places, often in spring. These are often misidentified as clover mites.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,922 posts in 29,755 topics over 91 months by 12,863 of 20,153 members. Latest: paranoiditch, Bentham, CyberAndroid