OT - When to mark Off Topic?

(18 posts)
  1. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 17:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

When I first saw "OT" in the thread title of this forum, I thought it stands for over time. It confused me because some of the OT threads were not that long.

Also, below the enter your post box, there are selections under "Pick a section". I don't really know when to select General Topics versus Free For All.

Am I suppose to add "OT" to these threads:

-Stress Busters
    -ENERGY BOOSTERS
    -Help U SLEEP Tonight
    -LAUGHTER Yoga and Therapy

If so, NoBugs, could you please help me add?

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  2. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 17:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JC,

It's hard to know what different things mean on an open forum. Even when a person has been around a while some things aren't easy to figure out. It took me a while to figure out that "NSFW" meant...."Not Safe For Work". So, don't feel bad.

BTW, I'm still not sure when to use "General Topics" vs. "Free For All" either.

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 18:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Basically, if a Butterfly starts a thread, it is OT.

Just Checking, I wouldn't worry about it much, but let's see what Nobugs says. I really appreciate you dealing with the stress aspect and how that can impact skin and sleep.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 18:53:54
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Basically, if a Butterfly starts a thread, it is OT.

Ummmmm.......I can *HEAR* you!!!!.....LOL.

5. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 22:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both! You two brighten my day and night.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 1:03:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JC,
    While they could be seen as OT, when I saw those threads are on topic because they're about bed bugs or how to get through a bed bug problem with sanity intact. It's a judgment call to be sure, but I understood the bed bug-related nature of these threads.

Sometimes the line is a bit more obvious. Threads which are about football are off-topic.

If you really feel like sharing ("did anyone ever see the movie Ghostbusters?") but there really is no bed bug content, or it's flimsy, then you can add OT. However, don't stress too much. I can add it if I need to. And others can flag threads they think are OT if they don't see it and think it should be there (flagging can be a big help for me so thanks to those who do it!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 1:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly1972 - 7 hours ago  » 

Free for all is another way of saying OT, though sometimes, I guess, the topic may involve bed bugs. It just doesn't fit another category.

General topics is last in the options because it's a dummy category and I can't delete it. I am stuck with it. It was once "uncategorized", a category created when the site was created, and this was a disaster. It was the default and most threads were under that umbrella.

Once I realized I could change the title of this forum, I did, changing it to General topics. I also moved it last in the drop down menu precisely so people would not choose it for new threads. So whereas once it was easy to accidentally choose "uncategorized", it's now hard to choose "General Topics." I defy anyone not to choose a more appropriate category for any post.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 1:07:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, I changed the forum for this post from
    "General Topics" to "About the Forums."

9. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 2:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your explanations, NoBugs!

NoBugs wrote,

So whereas once it was easy to accidentally choose "uncategorized", it's now hard to choose "General Topics." I defy anyone not to choose a more appropriate category for any post.

Oops... ... appreciate the tip.

10. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 2:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs also wrote,

Also, I changed the forum for this post from
    "General Topics" to "About the Forums."

Thanks!

11. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 7:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 

Butterfly1972 - 7 hours ago  » 

Free for all is another way of saying OT, though sometimes, I guess, the topic may involve bed bugs. It just doesn't fit another category.
    General topics is last in the options because it's a dummy category and I can't delete it. I am stuck with it. It was once "uncategorized", a category created when the site was created, and this was a disaster. It was the default and most threads were under that umbrella.

Thank you for the explanation, Nobugs!! I think I choose "General Topics" at times because I just can't figure out where to fit it in otherwise. Now, I will strive to use one of the other categories instead. I like a good challenge for myself....lol. Thanks, again.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 12:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it is possible we need new categories so feel free to ask.

In any post, you can say "I don't know if this is categorized correctly" and I can easily change it. Don't ever be afraid to post!

I suppose I could change "General Topics" to "Don't choose this category!" but it would add its own level of confusion and besides, it's an archive of "uncategorized" posts, not an archive we want people to ignore.

Here's an idea: please go to http://bedbugger.com/forum
    Scroll down to the bottom, and look at the list of forums. You'll see each "category" is a forum.
    Originally, this was at the top of the forums page, under green stickies. I moved it because people mostly seem to read and respond to recent posts, and most respondents do seem to respond to items in many categories, so for browsing, it works best.
    Now, though, the list of forum categories is so low under the recent discussions, that almost no one knows it's there.

Would it be better to return it to its original location, with recent discussions listed under it?
    It might help people see why categories matter, and also help with browsing for those who wish to browse on a topic, inasmuch as people are using appropriate categories.

Interested in your input! Thanks.

13. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 12:50:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs,

I have to say that the "General Topics"/"Don't choose this category" gave me a little giggle....and it did again when I scrolled down and saw the "Please pick a more specific category for your thread"......and the fact that it has the highest number at 9,306 posts!! Apparently, we aren't listening to our wonderful host....lol.

I have to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the bottom of the screen. I tend to look towards the top and at the latest posts. I would imagine that many are the same way...maybe? So, moving it back up would help to remind posters of why it is important to pick a topic other than "General Topics".

I have started a couple of threads about "hotels", but wasn't sure where they fit in. I put them under "Readers Questions". Would they have been better in another location? Learning moment for me.

14. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 14:30:36
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs, moving the forum categories up may help.

I read somewhere that people tend to remember 7 or fewer random things for a short period of time. If the person is under stress, etc., would the 'magic 7' apply to them? Is it possible to remove certain categories and combine others? Or can we have subcategories under certain categories so that the person doesn't have to go through a long list of choices the second time around?

15. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 14:34:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Would my "Any experience with blackout curtains?" thread be under Reader's Questions category?

16. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 14:47:59
    #

Login to Send PM

IMHO, I think "General Topics" should be replaced with something else (maybe Invalid entry??) if you don't want people to select this one. The current wording, "General Topics – Please select a more specific category for your thread!", is still giving people the option of selecting it. The person may think it has to be under this category as I already had gone through the long list and couldn't find one. Now, there could be more than 1 reason. For e.g.,

The person:

-may not remember the categories,
    -may not want to read the long list again, or
    -doesn't think the category matter much

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 15:43:06
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to worry too much about whether a topic fits under "reader questions" or "bed bug treatment" or another category-- overlapping does occur.

I appreciate that having the category is a temptation for people, and most will be unaware of the issue.

On the other hand, now you're aware so that's two people who were using this category and won't now.

The situation with General Topics is that the "uncategorized" topic existed for a long time before I figured out how to fix it. Combining it with other categories isn't possible right now and deleting it isn't possible because all of those posts within it would have to be individually recategorized first. It's got the most posts in it because of how long it was positioned as "default", not because it remains most popular.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 15:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 1 hour ago  » 
    Would my "Any experience with blackout curtains?" thread be under Reader's Questions category?

That's fine-- as I said several categories may fit. However, if you do identify threads you want moved to a more appropriate category, please respond to those threads or flag someone's post in the thread to bring it to my attention. That way, I don't have to go digging for the link. (You can flag anyone's post in the thread and just say "recategorize as..." and I will see it.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82