OT - Songs of Hope and Faith...

(123 posts)
  1. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 17:44:36
    #

Login to Send PM

These hymns can bring us peace, comfort, courage, love, strength, joy, hope… If you have any songs/music that may lift us up, please share.

Amazing Grace

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Widget

Shout to the Lord

You are My All in All

God will Make a Way

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  2. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 18:08:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It is Well with My Soul (music only)

3. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 19:41:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank-you for those JustChecking!!!

These hymns can bring us peace, comfort, courage, love, strength, joy, hope

Absolutely, and not only for bed bug situations

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  4. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2014 19:46:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Great job, JustChecking! Singing and/or listening to hymns is very soothing!

5. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 18:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Auntie Andrea. Thanks, Daylight.

You Raise Me Up

The Prayer - Celine & Josh

Blessings – Laura Story

As the Deer (music only)

6. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:18:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the wonderful music, JustChecking!

BTW, You Raise Me Up wouldn't open -- blocked -- but the other last three opened. I really like Celine and Josh--they're great together too.

7. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:28:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Daylight. Thanks for letting me know about the blocked Josh's one. I wonder how many other people can't see and listen to it. Funny, I can see and listen to it.

The other day I couldn't access to the disco one on the Energy Boosters thread, but I could access it yesterday. I don't know what's going on.

8. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban

9. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:41:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It's blocked in my country on copyright grounds. The last Josh one is too. But it's okay. I can hear it in my head.
    Are you not in the U.S.?

10. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:46:34
    #

Login to Send PM

lol...Are you serious? I thought you had figured it out. You wrote something about my using the term, pop, for soft drink in the other thread.

11. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think the 'blocking' among countries is good. Don't know why they are doing it.

12. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 19:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Daylight, I wonder if you can go to YouTube.com, search for Josh Groban You Raise Me Up, and see if you can access it.

13. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, Miss Ontario, I was right. I love Canada. Been there numerous times as I was growing up near Buffalo. I love Toronto; it's just so cool. I've been to Vancouver too--that is such a great place! Missed getting to Montreal--but I still have time. Always wanted to go there and try my five years of French.

14. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:06:05
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. Have you read any of Alice Munro's short stories? She's a fantastic writer.

15. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight, sometimes, being mysterious is good. Glad you enjoyed your visits to Canada. I visited U.S. some years ago. There are so much to explore and see in the U.S. Too bad I won't be going anywhere for the next X number of years.

16. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I had to read Alice Munro's short stories for school purposes. Does it sound bad?

Have you read The Shack, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1812457.The_Shack, Daylight? It's an emotional-packed fiction. One minute, crying; the next, laughing... I used to read a lot when I was a kid. I really enjoyed reading The Shack as an adult.

17. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Are there any 'easy read' books you enjoy reading?

18. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 20:39:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You know, I am a constant reader (used to be anyways) and had a ton of good books BBB (before bed bugs). I even started keeping a journal of what I'd read so I wouldn't forget. Alas, I got rid of all my fiction books (all of Alice Munro's too) and most of my nonfiction too--and now, I have the rest of my books in zip locks even tho the house has been heat treated.

I've had a horrible, terrible YEAR, not day, and I have not done much reading at all. I do remember whizzing through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a couple years ago, and I like Barbara Kingslover a lot (The Poisonwood Bible). I love all the classics and downloaded the complete works of George Elliott on my Kindle several years ago. For quick reads, I usually go for mysteries or detective series. Martha Grimes is fun and of course Janet Evanovich. I'll try to think of some good ones for you.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2014 23:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  20. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 7:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Nibugsonme,

That song is so peaceful! I loved it, and I now have another great musician to listen to. Thank you so much for posting it!

21. bedbugsarethedevil123

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 9:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

All wonderful songs!!

22. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 13:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 5 hours ago  » 
    Nibugsonme,
    That song is so peaceful! I loved it, and I now have another great musician to listen to. Thank you so much for posting it!

The same for me. I really like Carrie Newcomer's powerful voice and vocal range. Thanks, NoBugs!

I am glad you're enjoying the songs here, BBaretheD123.

Daylight also wrote,

You know, I am a constant reader (used to be anyways) and had a ton of good books BBB (before bed bugs). I even started keeping a journal of what I'd read so I wouldn't forget. Alas, I got rid of all my fiction books (all of Alice Munro's too) and most of my nonfiction too--and now, I have the rest of my books in zip locks even tho the house has been heat treated.

I've had a horrible, terrible YEAR, not day, and I have not done much reading at all. I do remember whizzing through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a couple years ago, and I like Barbara Kingslover a lot (The Poisonwood Bible). I love all the classics and downloaded the complete works of George Elliott on my Kindle several years ago. For quick reads, I usually go for mysteries or detective series. Martha Grimes is fun and of course Janet Evanovich. I'll try to think of some good ones for you.

Too bad for you and me, Daylight. While you got rid of some of your books, I did the same but completely. I haven't read any novels for a long while. So, don't think too hard on the reading list unless you want to share with other people on the forum. Janet Evanovich sounds familiar. I might have read at least one of her novels.

I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo movies. They were good. Haven't read the books. However, I enjoyed the book version of The Hunger Games more than the movie (I saw the first movie only but read all 3 books).

So sorry you've had a terrible year, Daylight. I've been on a tight rope for a long time now. Life is like a test, lessons to learn... If we had experienced setbacks before, we can build onto them. If this is new to some people, then it's time for you to pull all you learned together and apply to your current situation. In general, I think we can benefit from learning how other people bounced back from obstacles. Also, we need to ready ourselves to the best possible condition in order to fight the battles. Consider thinking of how we can make the situation better with limited resources and how we can help other people.

23. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 14:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,

Thank you for your understanding and care. It was a traumatic and stressful time, to be sure. I probably got rid of 90% of my books and 80% of my clothes. I retired and we moved to a smaller house. I don't want to go into details, but it was pretty bad. Crying on the inside and feeling hopeless. But I survived and feel a lot stronger to finish the fight. It was so hard to find a company to actually help us and not just want to take the money and run. I think that's a big part of how we react to this situation. If we feel like we can trust someone to do a job and be there to see it through, we wouldn't get so down and out.

You, along with others like Nobugsonme and Butterfly and Endless, TAOT, BBATD123, MRE, and so many others I can't name at this second, have really done an outstanding job at supporting us and lifting us up. Kudos to you all!!!

Now, you are still being that kind and conscientious person by suggesting we do something to help others.
    You wrote,

Consider thinking of how we can make the situation better with limited resources and how we can help other people

Great idea! I would love to help anyone who needs support. I 'll work on it. Keep me posted with any details and I'll do the same. Thanks for your good thoughts!!

24. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 22:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight wrote,

Great idea! I would love to help anyone who needs support. I 'll work on it. Keep me posted with any details and I'll do the same. Thanks for your good thoughts!!

Huh, Daylight? You've already been helping people. I couldn't have worded better than you in the other thread with "Keep thinking positive...figure out a plan...work on your goal...feel like a warrior...prayers and thoughts...don't give up!" This is only one of the many examples. You did really well.

JC wrote,

In general, I think we can benefit from learning how other people bounced back from obstacles. Also, we need to ready ourselves to the best possible condition in order to fight the battles. Consider thinking of how we can make the situation better with limited resources and how we can help other people.

I was trying to remind all of us that it is better to be proactive than feeling stuck whenever we are down. When we help others, we in turn help ourselves. Don't drill on me, me, me all the times. It could be a project for you to explore if needed. I can't tell you what to do.

25. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 22:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Give Thanks (music only)

26. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 22:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

El Shaddai (music only)

27. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2014 22:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a really nice thread. Daylight, I'm sorry you had a bad year. Thank you for the kind words. I'm more of a "teaser", but you and a lot of others provide a very genuine sense of wanting to help...it's really meaningful. Thank you.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 0:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight, you and JustChecking -- and everyone else who participates in the forums -- you're doing a good job already of helping others! Thanks for your contributions.

Glad you liked the Carrie Newcomer! She's great.

The clip is from a live performance but the studio album Everything is Everywhere is fantastic and features (as does the clip above and the last one below) some of the "rock stars" of South Asian classical music.

Some more YouTube:

29. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 3:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome and thank you, ladies!

Much earlier, after watching a movie that had East Indian music, I wanted to find some but couldn't. Shortly after, I forgot all about it. Thanks for sharing these music, NoBugs!

Daylight wrote,

Thank you for your understanding and care. It was a traumatic and stressful time, to be sure. I probably got rid of 90% of my books and 80% of my clothes. I retired and we moved to a smaller house. I don't want to go into details, but it was pretty bad. Crying on the inside and feeling hopeless. But I survived and feel a lot stronger to finish the fight. It was so hard to find a company to actually help us and not just want to take the money and run. I think that's a big part of how we react to this situation. If we feel like we can trust someone to do a job and be there to see it through, we wouldn't get so down and out.

Daylight, I wonder if you are like me can’t easily have an outward cry other than from reading books or watching movies on tragic stories, etc. That’s a lot of books and clothes you got rid of. Sigh! I could see how bad the situation was. Hiring a pest control company in North America is expensive. Yeah, it’s like throwing a big chunk of your money on the gambling table sometimes. Was it the 3rd pest control company that seems to be promising? Good for you. Came out stronger, Daylight. God bless!

With so many tragic things happening, sometimes out of our control, all I could think of is to aim my eyesight on God (or a higher being for others) while walking on a tight rope to the finish line.

30. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 3:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Day by Day

31. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 7:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, JustChecking, for another wonderful thread!! And thank you to all who have shared all the awesome music videos!!

JustChecking,

One of my all time favorite songs to sing at church is "Shout to the Lord". It always brings such peace to my soul.

32. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 13:31:35
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Butterfly.

33. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 14:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi on this terrific Thursday!

At school on the morning announcements, they always preface the day of the week with a motivating adjective (marvelous Monday, etc.) They'd usually stick with the regulars, but now and then switch up.

I just got back from the hair salon (as it is now known as, not the "beauty parlor" as I called it one day while there and was quietly corrected by my stylist, not beautician. (LOL) It is a monthly visit and it does help me relax and unwind. I still wash my hair every day with very very hot water though just to be extra careful. I have dry hair and never washed it more than twice a week in the days before bed bugs (BBB). Never used to blow dry it either, but now wouldn't think of skipping that part. I've developed an affinity for heat.

So, yes, JustChecking, I am going to look for The Shack on Amazon to download on Kindle. And I also love "Shout to the Lord". I come from a hymn loving church background, and they're ingrained in me.

Nobugs, I am very happy to be discovering the music of Carrie Newcomer. Everything is Everywhere is fantastic! Thanks so much for posting it! She kind of reminds me of one of my favorites from the old days--Joni Mitchell.

I feel like I'm off topic here because I haven't posted any music. American Idol is on TV at the moment tho--recorded from last night--there are some good singers on this one! And Harry Connick Jr. is one of the judges--he's good too.

34. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 14:23:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 1 minute ago  » 
    I come from a hymn loving church background, and they're ingrained in me.

Me, too!! I grew up singing hymns from the "red back hymnal" as we called it. I love all the newer music we now sing in church, but I miss those days of the hymnal music.

35. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Daylight,

Oh my goodness!!! I was so excited to find this video on Youtube!!! I just googled "red back hymnal" and came up with this video. I went to Ole Miss, but many of the youths that I went to church with went to Lee University in Tennessee and a couple of them were members of the Voices of Lee.....although many, many years ago....lol. I am just thrilled to have found this video and will be spending my afternoon listening to all the wonderful music!!

Enjoy the video

36. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

When someone first called it, "Happy Thursday", I didn't get it. I later wondered if it meant it makes her happy because the next day is Friday. Or maybe it's because of the school a.m. announcement. Now that you are all relax and feel like stepping out of a fashion magazine, it sure is a terrific Thursday, Daylight.

Since the author of The Shack, William Paul Young, is not a writer pro, don't expect it to be the same level as the works of 'writers'. It's imaginative and thought-provoking to me. It covers various questions and answers of eternity and related issues. This bestseller novel is controversial to some.

Don't worry about off topics. One can't get too far from here.

My church life doesn't last long. One sibling still goes to church. The others, no. Even the stats have indicated there's a drop in church attendance. Various reasons, I bet. Regardless, I view it as one's personal experience with God (or higher beings for others) rather than confining to a structure. However, if one is a church goer, etc., all is well, too.

Butterfly, thanks for your contribution! I'll get back to you later.

37. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I've lifted a few spirits to this one.

http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

38. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, BD, and thanks for your contribution! I noticed that you have a new screen icon. Cool.

To be honest, ever since one of my siblings told me not to listen to the Top 20 or 40 songs, etc., in my early years because of some of the lyrics, I must have developed selective hearing. I might not able to pick out the lyrics on some videos but could listen to the music and see the expressions. They sure raise my heart beats and made me giggle.

39. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 15:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 29 minutes ago  » 
    I've lifted a few spirits to this one.

Hilarious BD! You crack me up! . . . But don't leave us hanging . . . Spirit of choice?!

JustChecking - 31 minutes ago  » 
    My church life doesn't last long. . . . Even the stats have indicated there's a drop in church attendance. Various reasons, I bet. Regardless, I view it as one's personal experience with God (or higher beings for others) rather than confining to a structure.

Anyone ever see the movie Stigmata . . . I loved that movie and the message I took away from it was that God is everywhere and you don't have to worship Him in a particular building you can worship Him anywhere. Not sure if that was the message I was supposed to get but that's the message I got.

40. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking,

Tomorrow is fabulous Friday!! (the weekend eve)!

I haven't been to my church since I started realizing I might contaminate the pews and people. A lot of huggers there! We got a new pastor not long before my ordeal began. I called to talk with him and he was very sorry about it but understood when I said I was worried about coming. He said he always worries about the possibility of getting them on trips too. Needless to say, I really do miss church (Lutheran). But I am becoming a huge fan of the Methodist service on TV on Sunday, along with a few other programs I catch. I also read The Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer and it helped me a lot. My neighbor gave it to me--I'd never heard of it or the author before. So, I am alone here on Sundays til 2:30 when husband returns from working at golf course pro shop. I can sing my lungs out all by myself!

Butterfly,

Thanks for the wonderful music video! I never heard of the red back hymnal, but I think it's fantastic!! I'll be listening to it on Sunday morning and throughout the week too!!!

41. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:09:46
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 5 minutes ago  » 

JustChecking - 31 minutes ago  » 
    My church life doesn't last long. . . . Even the stats have indicated there's a drop in church attendance. Various reasons, I bet. Regardless, I view it as one's personal experience with God (or higher beings for others) rather than confining to a structure.

Anyone ever see the movie Stigmata . . . I loved that movie and the message I took away from it was that God is everywhere and you don't have to worship Him in a particular building you can worship Him anywhere. Not sure if that was the message I was supposed to get but that's the message I got.

I so agree!! I don't think it matters what religion one chooses to practice, if we attend church on a regular schedule, or only at Christmas and Easter, or not at all. It's our hearts and our relationship with God (or Higher Power) that will matter at the end of this life.

I attend church because of the closeness that I feel when I am worshiping God in his house, but it's not the same for everyone.....and that's ok. Some feel just as close when praying beside a garbage can (ok, that came from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills ~ love Kim!!), or just standing wherever they may be and having a quiet moment.

42. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't ever go as regularly as I should have. I wish I had been better about it, but I agree that it's not necessary to be in a certain building to worship God and find spiritual fulfillment.
    The most essential aspect of religion to me is one's relationship with God, and I think the ten commandments are the path to follow.

Churches have always been powerful and beautiful to me, though, and I love being in them.

43. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly1972 - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I attend church because of the closeness that I feel when I am worshiping God in his house . . .

Word!

Daylight - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Churches have always been powerful and beautiful to me, though, and I love being in them.

Word X2!

44. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 16:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Daylight - 15 minutes ago  » 
    I think the ten commandments are the path to follow.

Daylight, here is a song that I used to help my kids remember the ten commandments......I just love MercyMe....have I said that lately......lol.

45. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 17:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the 10 Simple Rules song, Butterfly! Great for teaching kids in a fun way, too!

46. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 17:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

It's our hearts and our relationship with God (or Higher Power) that will matter at the end of this life.

Amen! to that

wow this is really getting to be an awesome thread, people, I love all of it

but that Everything is Everywhere clip that Nobugs posted I think is my fave

Thanks again folks!

47. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2014 18:05:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Big Dummy,
    Math is hard.

48. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 4:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

“Today is fabulous Friday!!” Daylight said.

Daylight wrote,

I still wash my hair every day with very very hot water though just to be extra careful. I have dry hair and never washed it more than twice a week in the days before bed bugs (BBB).

Does the very, very hot water make your scalp dry and itchy, Daylight? I forgot to mention about your creativity of using the acronym, BBB. I often think of Better Business Bureau when I see the triple B’s.

I feel like I'm off topic here because I haven't posted any music. American Idol is on TV at the moment ..."

No, you’re not, Daylight. The top 8 American Idol actually sang Shout to the Lord in April 2008. I happened to see that while searching for hymns. I used to watch American Idol a very long time ago.

Butterfly wrote,

Oh my goodness!!! I was so excited to find this video on Youtube!!! I just googled "red back hymnal" and came up with this video.

Thanks for sharing the upbeat hymns and MercyMe simple rule song, Butterfly! I like the hymn around 21 min. lol…I used to be a page flipping challenge among the flipping of the agenda/announcement inserts, hymn book(s), and Bible. Then, at another church, they didn’t have hymn book but used the PowerPoint projector. One less thing to flip.

Abs wrote,

Anyone ever see the movie Stigmata

Not me, but I looked to see what it’s about. Are you talking about the 1999 one, Abs? If so, that’s a horror drama movie. I am surprised you’re not scared watching it.

Daylight wrote,

I haven't been to my church since I started realizing I might contaminate the pews and people. A lot of huggers there!

Yikes, many huggers?! We usually shook hands at the churches I went to.

So, I am alone here on Sundays til 2:30 when husband returns from working at golf course pro shop. I can sing my lungs out all by myself!

Lucky you, Daylight! I worry my neighbors will hear me. Lol

The most essential aspect of religion to me is one's relationship with God, and I think the ten commandments are the path to follow.

Yup. The Bible is God’s words to Christians.

Butterfly wrote,

I don't think it matters what religion one chooses to practice…It's our hearts and our relationship with God (or Higher Power) that will matter at the end of this life.

Agreed. People’s choice.

49. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 7:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 3 hours ago  » 
    Daylight wrote,

I haven't been to my church since I started realizing I might contaminate the pews and people. A lot of huggers there!

Yikes, many huggers?! We usually shook hands at the churches I went to.

This soooo made me giggle!! I would fit right in at Daylight's church.....I'm a hugger. The poor people who meet me always get a hug. Apparently, I have issues with realizing other's personal space.....

On a positive note..... at least I don't do the air kiss, too!!

50. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 8:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 4 hours ago  » 
    Abs wrote,

Anyone ever see the movie Stigmata

Not me, but I looked to see what it’s about. Are you talking about the 1999 one, Abs? If so, that’s a horror drama movie. I am surprised you’re not scared watching it.

That's the one with Patricia Arquette . . . but YIKES . . . I wouldn't have described it as a "horror" movie! I hate horror movies!! But I did like Stigmata . . . and it IS very, ummmm, "suspenseful" in certain places! . . . but I wouldn't have called it a "horror" movie, although it is classified as one!

51. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 15:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting! Thanks for the info, Abs. I don't like horror movies, too, as they will give me nightmares.

Butterfly wrote,

This soooo made me giggle!! I would fit right in at Daylight's church.....I'm a hugger.

That's what I thought after reading you love hugs.

52. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 15:35:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I like to listen to songs like "You're Only Human" by Billy Joel when going through tough times. It's so easy to fall into the trap (especially when battling bed bugs, I think) of feeling like you have to do everything perfectly. It's nice to be reminded that it's okay to be human, and also I like the lyric "Don't forget your second wind ..."

I hope the video works! It's a really good one.

53. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 15:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Shucks. If anyone else knows how to do it, maybe you can help me

54. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 15:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for Billy Joel's You're Only Human song, scaredstiff. I had no problem using your 'first' link. I was about to ask you how come you could paste the link without showing a mini monitor of the video on this page.

55. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:06:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know, Just Checking. That's what I was TRYING to do! Oh well, I'm glad you could link to it anyway. It's such an inspiring message not to give up in hard times.

56. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:15:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the upbeat song with the inspiring message, scaredstiff. Just got a scare from the beginning of the video.

57. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2014 16:54:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard that Billy Joel tried to commit suicide as a very young man, and he later wrote this song as an anti-suicide message for teens and others. I think the scary opening scene is supposed to kind of shock suicidal people into realizing how awful it could be for their loved ones, if they did actually follow through on their plans. And then the video goes on to show that life can still be good, in spite of how bad you might be feeling right now.

58. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 1:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredstiffofbbs - 9 hours ago  » 
    Shucks. If anyone else knows how to do it, maybe you can help me

When you're looking at the YouTube page, instead of clicking the "share" button, copy the URL (web address) at the top of your browser window. It will have the word "watch" in it somewhere. This should embed using a plugin we have installed here.

It's tricky if you're on a phone's YouTube app, because they don't display the same URLs (web addresses), but it should work on a web browser. I fixed the post above.

59. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 15:44:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, thanks, Nobugs! I'll do it that way next time.

60. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 31 2014 0:35:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome!

It used to happen automatically with pasting in a link, but YouTube changed its links and then it didn't anymore.

61. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 1 2014 18:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The Light in Me

62. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 2 2014 7:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

That was terrific! Thanks for another inspiring and peaceful song, JustChecking!!

63. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 2:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Daylight.

64. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 12:42:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Love this song.....

65. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 3 2014 12:52:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, this isn't a song of hope and faith..... But, honestly, no way I can listen to this song without dancing, clapping my hands, and just feeling HAPPY!!!

66. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Apr 4 2014 2:27:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Butterfly, thanks for the beautiful hymn and the happy song! Thanks for sharing your happiness with us.

Below is an inspirational song, True Olympic Never Give Up (When You Believe):

67. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2014 16:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Stronger - Mandisa

68. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 9:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Came across this video today and thought it was pretty awesome and worth sharing.

69. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 10:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So for the past 7 months I have had this song in my head. LOL. I can remember singing it to my kids when they were little. I can't figure out how to embed? So here is the link. I love me some Burl Ives.

70. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 12 2014 10:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

OOOH! It embedded all by itself! Woohoo!

71. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 21:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

wow that brings back memories Suzanne

that Happy song is great

72. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 8:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

The Happy Song is my new favorite....my kids hate that I love it.

73. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 13:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 1 day ago  » 
    ....my kids hate that I love it.

LOL.....mine, too!! They get so embarrassed when I dance around and clap my hands. They always ask me to stop because their friends might see me. See me???? I'm in my own house!!

It must be tough to be a tween and a teenager with a mom who might embarrass them though the front windows....

BTW, I love Burl Ives, too. I had never heard of "The Ugly Bug Ball" before. Too cute!!

74. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 15 2014 17:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Suzanne and Butterfly!

I like this kiddie song, too. Butterfly, I wonder if your kids would feel better if you close the curtains when you sing and dance. Just joking.

75. Butterfly1972

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Apr 17 2014 8:11:15
    #

Login to Send PM

JustChecking - 1 day ago  » 
    Butterfly, I wonder if your kids would feel better if you close the curtains when you sing and dance. Just joking.

LOL.... I would imagine I could close all the blinds and curtains in our home and they would still be embarrassed!! Silly kids.

I remember that age..... When I was embarrassed to even be seen with my Mom and would ask her to drop me off at school from a "safe" distance. Like I had somehow "magically" transported myself from my home to school.

76. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Apr 19 2014 19:32:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember about the embarrassed part but not for dropping me off at school, Butterfly.

For some reason, I can't access to Josh Groban's You Raise Me Up. Let's try this again.

http://youtu.be/lC_CXjgrtOw

77. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 7 2014 15:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Old Timeless Hymns (music only)

http://youtu.be/vGj39oddhNE

78. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun May 11 2014 3:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I Can See Clearly Now - Jimmy Cliff

http://youtu.be/KSuB4t3q_dA

79. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 15 2014 2:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Experience Perfect Peace (music only)

http://youtu.be/5zKNcY36XkU

80. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 15 2014 23:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

wow that Perfect Peace was great.....

played it and I was thinking:

a moment to rest...
    a moment to reflect....
    a moment to sleep...
    a moment for prayer...

sorry if I'm being corny, I just love that stuff, it's very centering

again many thanks JC for posting this awesome stuff

81. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 16 2014 2:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You're very welcome, auntie Andrea. You're right about the "Experience Perfect Peace" music being very centering. As much as I love Yiruma's music, it has a different effect on me. Really glad you enjoyed it.

82. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2014 16:08:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Lead me Lord - Basil Valdez

http://youtu.be/wNq6Y3TDTKw

83. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2014 16:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JC,

Thanks for the wonderful song and video! Beautiful to see and hear!

84. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2014 17:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S.

Welcome back, Just Checking!!

85. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 22 2014 17:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Daylight!

86. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2014 4:00:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You're Not Alone - Amy Grant

http://youtu.be/oL_kZD0RANw

Lift Up Your Hands - Basil Valdez

http://youtu.be/qINNR0Oblsc

87. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 25 2014 18:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Light Up the Sky

http://youtu.be/x-4xdOgXoJY

88. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2014 17:00:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Celine Dion Medley with Brian McKnight
    http://youtu.be/fNg8KODr3nM

I Believe in You - Il Divo with Celine Dion
    http://youtu.be/J3ACz32Ghxk

89. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 22:55:29
    #

Login to Send PM

The Greatest Love of All – Whitney Houston

http://youtu.be/OI52ajdd1nY

90. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 30 2014 3:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You’ll Never Walk Alone – Sissel
    http://youtu.be/g2s8kagz43E

Pie Jesu - Sissel
    http://youtu.be/I1ghkPFb90E

91. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 18:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Over the Rainbow - Sissel

http://youtu.be/eM4QnFPh3Xg

92. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 19:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Never Give Up (highly inspiring and motivating)

http://youtu.be/jImQqejgqNU

93. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 20:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, JC! I love the songs by Sissel--never heard of her before this, but I will listen to her now.

94. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 6 2014 22:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, Daylight. Same here. Sissel's vocal is mesmerizing.

You Are Loved (Don’t Give Up) - Josh Groban

http://youtu.be/jOBcwJbKOdY

95. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 3:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Lord … Hold My Hand – Yiruma (music only)
    http://youtu.be/aPf3sq8C3Ro

Sissel Songs Compilation
    http://youtu.be/L-bqqIIgvKY

96. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 0:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

One Day At A Time - Lena Martell

http://youtu.be/wVHRfxsf4Gc

97. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 18:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Where There's a Will... - Joe Bongiorno (music only)
    http://youtu.be/9k__OFlGZeA

Eternal Flame – Bangles
    http://youtu.be/h00YQVSPf_c

98. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 23:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Brave - Josh Groban

http://youtu.be/eh9ujLuR4YA

99. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2014 19:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Canto Alla Vita - Josh Groban & Andrea Corr

http://youtu.be/LAFncmuA4j8

100. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2014 21:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd like to dedicate this video to TAOT. She knows why.

Save Me (Smallville theme song) - Remy Zero
    http://youtu.be/Db4Ug2hUpcc

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

296,821 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen