Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Original or Closet Packtite?

(9 posts)
  1. BedBugly

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 3:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone been able to fit a full size suitcase in either of these? I know the specs are listed, but with the instructions and usable space, can a large suitcase fit safely? I'm definitely getting one, but not sure if the extra $400 will be worth it for the Packtite Closet. The prices on these (and on all bed bug products for that matter) seem pretty out of control. From reviews I've read, they generally do the trick, but are made quite cheaply, "glorified duffle bag and space heater" someone said, so why the nutty price tag? Almost feels like these companies are preying on our neurosis and trauma to make big bucks.

Anyway, just wondering if I should bite the $700 bullet if the closet is big enough for a full size/large upright suit case, or if maybe the original is good enough and maybe combo it with a steamer for the super big stuff? This will be used post PCO treatment. Thanks!

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 4:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The PackTite Closet is your best bet... Large enough for to treat your suitcase... Has a rack for hanging clothing... Even room for a small nightstand.

3. comp666

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 5:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 2 2012 11:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

comp666 - 5 hours ago  » 
    It's currently being 3rd party tested by David Cain from bed-bugs.co.uk. Keep an eye on http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/has-anyone-tried-the-zappbug-oven for results.

Currently is a little jumping the gun. We hope it will get to London on Monday for testing but a report usually takes 2 weeks to produce fully and I am away for a week in Aug.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.
  5. BedBugly

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 11:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys! That was very helpful, wow, that Zappbug looks like exactly what I'm looking for with size and (sorta kinda) cost, just still wish it wasn't sooo expensive. But definitely better than spending $700 for something that may or may not fit all the things I need it to fit. David, let me know how it goes if and when you're able to test it. And if I end up purchasing one next week before you do, I'll let you know I went with it.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 21:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll chime in. From what I saw, the zapp it (or whatever) didn't have a hanging rack and it's a new product to market. Packtite closet is relatively new (I got mine in September 2011) but there have been a lot of folks out there with one and it was well tested prior to market.

I fit large suitcases, small nightstands, etc. in it and, if I were you...consider whether you want to buy a product that has been tested by a company with a similar product out there for 4 years..or a new product to market. It may be worth the extra money, since you won't really know if it's working or not (you don't see dead bed bugs usually if I understand right..they bury or go into objects as the air temps get hotter and hotter)

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  7. evervigilant

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 4 2012 5:16:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know how big your suitcase is, but I have the original Packtite and I manage to shove my 26" suitcase into it. Not my 29" one, though.

I <usually> take out most of the clothes from the suitcase before Packtiting and put them in a large Ziploc to heat later. That way the suitcase is as flat as possible. The length works fine; it is the width that sometime touches the walls. Two or three times I have opened the unit and found a wet spot - condensation where the suitcase was touching the walls. I usually just check that area really well and spray it with alcohol, although sometimes I will dry it and run the Packtite another hour. (My suitcase is black so I trust myself to examine a small spot, just not the entire suitcase!)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 4 2012 11:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The Packtite isn't just a "glorified duffle bag and space heater". This comment suggests the speaker does not know much about how difficult it is to heat a space like this without cool spots. A lot went into design. I understand the heater on the original is not an off the shelf space heater.

I have a Closet and it could fit a massive suitcase. You could treat empty luggage (multiple pieces) and then hang clothing on the rod to get it don't faster.

The main advantage of the Closet over the original is speed-- you can fit more in, and what you do fit in is done more quickly.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. curls

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Aug 8 2012 11:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm subscribing so I can see the results. Seems likely I'll need one of these products if I'm going to stay BB free once I get there!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,318 posts in 29,433 topics over 90 months by 12,699 of 19,962 members. Latest: axl82580, WakingBad, battlebegins2014