Operation Mountain Fury

(29 posts)
  1. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 29 2017 22:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not going to lie. I am freaked out. My fiancee is freaked out. We have the dreaded bed bugs. We have commenced with Operation Mountain Fury with our target being the disgusting bugs that are trying to commandeer our territory.

Earlier this year, my fiancee was given a recliner. It's a hideous, brown fabric recliner that matches nothing in our house. I raised a ruckus over him bringing it in the house but he insisted on keeping it. During the proceeding couple of months, I was under extreme amounts of stress. I began having itchy spots come up on my arms and hands. My doctor thought they were stress-induced hives worsened by me scratching them from anxiety. Basically, he thought I was about to crack and picking at myself so much it was causing the hives to spread. After a couple of months of trying to treat hives that just would not go away, I finally called to ask for blood work to be done thinking maybe something systemic was going on. I was thoroughly convinced something was wrong with me.

During this entire time, I did look for bed bugs because I am a paranoid neat freak. I never saw a single bug but I also didn't know what I was looking for. The night before my doctor's appointment, last Monday, I noticed some black spots on the bed linens that I was perplexed by. I stripped the bed but didn't see anything. Just in case, I pulled the mattress up over the foot board so that I could see the front of it better. To my utter horror, I found a localized pattern of black spots in the middle of the back side of the mattress and about four bugs near the tag. I. freaked. the. @#$%.out. My fiancee was not home at the time but was equally freaked out when he came home to our entire bedroom turned upside down. I didn't really find much evidence of the little bastards except for right on the back of the head of the mattress and box springs.

The next day, I was mortified to tell the doctor that I thought I had bed bug bites. Turns out, I am one of those people who has an allergic reaction to their bites and had been miserable for months thinking I had hives while the culprits were gaining ground unbeknownst to me. Ugh. So, after a shot of steroids and some oral meds, I am on the mend. My house, well, that's another story. That night, I took a flat head screwdriver and needle-nose pliers to remove the covering from the box springs. Armed with information that I scoured online, I sprayed the entire frame down with mineral spirits, which did kill the four or five live bugs that I encountered in the crevices of the box springs. YUCK! I left the box springs turned up on end and the mattress tipped over the end of the foot board for a couple of days while I was continuously spraying and dusting with DE.

So, here's what I've done so far:

Vacuumed all bugs I've found both live and dead, as well as all along any cracks in the bed frame, mattress seams and baseboards. I immediately emptied the vacuum, bagged it and got it out of the house.

Sprayed the entire floor area, baseboards, mattress seams, box springs, bed frame, etc. with mineral spirits.

Dusted entire bedroom with DE, including pushing it into any crevices I could find on the bed.

Encased mattress, box springs and pillows.

Washed all bedding and put through at least two cycles in the dryer. Put all decorative pillows through the dryer and placed in plastic bags.

Pulled bed and night stands away from walls.

Removed and threw away the dust ruffle. I will NEVER have one of those again.

Went over the entire headboard pulling a business card through all cracks.

Wrapped bed legs with double-sided tape and sat them all in interceptors.

Thrown away all magazines and books on the nightstands.

Placed glue traps.

Inspected other rooms, couch, love seat and hideous recliner.

For the three days that the bedroom was uninhabitable, we slept in a guest room with no bites. I have been the bed bug Nazi trying to ensure we aren't cross contaminating. Now, there has been a lot of bickering about who brought the bugs into our sanctuary. We decided we probably would never know. Last night, my fiancee was sitting in his recliner, which I swore was the culprit anyway, and a bug crawled on him. Yep, it was a bed bug. We flipped the chair upside down and got a flashlight to inspect closer. (I didn't see anything initially but I didn't look underneath.) Well, needless to say, the mystery of where the damned bugs came from was solved. We threw that monstrosity out in the yard last night and hauled it off today. We figure they were in the chair and got carried from there to the bed. Those are really the only two places that a human body ever remains for any length of time. I have not seen any bugs anywhere else.

I am in the process of treating the living room with the same vigilance that I have thus far given to the bedroom. There was no evidence of bugs anywhere around the chair. Last night was the first night we slept in our bed again and neither of us had bites. (My fiancee has sensitive skin and has allergies to metal in some razors. He has had what we thought was a reaction to a razor on his neck and around his ears. Upon closer inspection last night, we determined he has bites and, apparently, has the same bad reaction to them as me.) I went all over the bedding when we got up and saw no evidence of any bugs. We were gone for a few hours this afternoon and, when we got back, I saw a black spot on the cream colored quilt that tops our bed. I flipped the light on and was devastated to see a bug. I squashed and flushed it. I got a flashlight and went over the entire bed again. I found nothing. I suspect it was maybe hiding somewhere in the bed frame and crawled up from the quilt that was touching the rail.

Am I naive to think that the infestation is localized to the bed and that ugly ass recliner? I'm treating the surrounding areas but I wonder if I really need to wash every bit of clothing? I am already washing all bedding that has ever been on the bed or in contact with any that was and putting it through at least two dryer cycles. I am looking for a used steamer or one to borrow. What more can I do? We can't afford to hire professionals. We are supposed to be moving soon and I don't want to take these hitchhikers with us. I am, thankfully, itch free for the first time in months and I do NOT want to revisit this ever again.

2. sleeptitesoon

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 2:47:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear of your discovery. Theres a lot to learn one you start this beautiful adventure.
    One of the first things you find out is that there are many steps you have to take ,like you have, but they need to go along with professional extermination, meaning (several) chemical treatments and or heat treatments. By the way once you know how difficult this whole thing is, the idea of washing all clothing wont seem so bad. Its actually about the drying, one hour for everything. Clothes that you dont dry in the dryer normally can be dried for the most part if they arent wet already and they wont shrink.
    Back to "spraying". The products regular people can buy will not cut it at all. If you live in an apartment the landlord will often pay the for the PCO. But then theyd probably need to treat all units for it to work. Thats where Im stuck, Ive had my place sprayed three times (professionally) but we haven't heard about any issues with neighbors. Its so hard for me to tell them, I dont even know if it should be me who does.
    Im also planning to move, I ve already thrown out many things, and will probably have the remainder heat treated in a movig van when that happens. In a dream world the whole 6 unit building would be treated and everyone would co operate so it could be effective but I dont see that happening. Please update with your process!

3. HifromChi

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 9:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that an ugly recliner was the culprit, used furniture (even from legit resale shops) are one of the major ways these nasty critters make their way into homes, the irony is you take something used to save a few bucks, then end up spending thousands eradicating blood thirsty bugs brought in on it. "Penny wise, a pound foolish".

It sounds like you're attacking this head on, doing some heat steaming wouldn't hurt though, it kills bed bugs and the eggs which is important, because new nymphs can hatch every 2 weeks and then you're back at ground zero. Most PCO's start with heat treatment, then either DE or CimeXa powder, then spray. I would also recommend that you encase your mattress and box spring in bed bug proof covers (buy the most durable you can find, the cheap ones rip) then sprinkle some DE inside the covers to kill whatever bugs may be trapped inside, isolate your bed (move the bed a few inches from all walls, blankets tucked in, not draped onto the floor, it keeps them from finding a way into the bed, and get some climb-up interceptors to put under your bed legs so you can monitor the situation.

If you're still having issues after doing everything above, meaning regular bites and fecal showing up, then it's time to contact a professional.

Best of luck to you...

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 13:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Mineral spirits, aka paint thinner, doesn't sound like a great idea. Isn't that stuff flammable as hell? Regardless, if (*if") it killed any bed bugs, it would only be the ones you can see, so you might as well just use your fingers.

5. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 20:51:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Admittedly, the mineral spirits are stout. They do, however, kill the bugs. I don't know if they kill the eggs but I get some sick sense of pleasure seeing the little bastards die. When I was initially searching DIY eradicating options, I saw a YouTube video of a man swearing by mineral spirits. He claimed to have had great success using mineral spirits to eliminate the bugs in several instances. I don't know if it will work but it seemed like a cheap option. There have been no new bites since last Monday when I declared war. After the first three days of extensive defensive attacks, I have only seen one live bug. That was the aforementioned yesterday that I suspect pulled some kind of Bin Laden move and hid in a deep, dark cave in my bed rail before slipping out under cover of darkness and climbing up my quilt, which was too conveniently left touching the bed rails. Lesson learned, bastard. I will remain ever vigilant and watchful like Big Brother until I am absolutely certain there are no more enemies hiding. I don't like sleeping with the enemy, after all.

Now, let's talk about the sleeping part. It's amazing how tiny bugs can make one come up out of a deep sleep like a trained ninja. The first night we slept in our bed again, my long, curly hair was down as usual. Every time it tickled us, we were slapping around like we were having some sort of seizures. Last night, I tied my hair up in a bun on top of my head. (Sexy, yes.) It was better but even still I found myself searching with the flashlight on my phone when the sheets touched me too softly. I know it's in my head but, every time I think about these little dastardly demons, my skin crawls and I feel like they are in my hair swinging around like trapeze artists. I doubt I will sleep soundly again for a long time. *sigh*

6. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 22:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

DIY is not reliable but if that's all you can afford, it's all you can afford.

I'd be worried about paint thinner starting a fire and what your insurance would say.

I did it too but is really bad to sleep somewhere else.
    I went from a bed to a couch and then read that might cause the bugs to move.

I hope you are rid of them.

Washing in hot water is apparently enough but doing more is better.

It's naive to expect the bugs were isolated to your bed and recliner but it's not naive to hope for that.
    Best wishes.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  7. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 13:19:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If there is no evidence of the bugs anywhere else, how do I know if they are present? I mean, honestly. I have placed the glue traps in places underneath and nearby other furniture without any results. (I think that's a good thing unless they are just dodging it.) I have gone through the beds in the guest rooms without finding so much as a single black spot. I did find a piece of black fuzz and about went ape $%^& before I realized it was fuzz. I have not seen a bug, black spot (Yes. I know what it is but naming it as such makes it all too real.), bloody spots, exoskeletons or anything suspicious anywhere other than our bed and that hideous chair. We still have not had any new bites or seen any new evidence. I'm not letting my guard down and will continue to wage war on the suckers as I know they may have a new generation laying in wait. But, seriously, how do I know they are anywhere else without seeing evidence?

Paranoia does not begin to describe what I feel in regard to these parasites. I feel like my house is dirty, although, I know it isn't. I have bleached and scrubbed and mopped and washed for days. On one hand, it seems like overkill but, on the other, I want these things obliterated.

8. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 21:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been nine days since discovering the BBs in my house and declaring war on them. I have not seen anymore live bugs and only one minute dead one that I found on my bed quilt. It could have been there after washing and drying and I just missed it. I'm not sure. I have some kind of bite behind my left ear but it isn't itching like all the other bites were in the past. They were miserable and caused a rash-like reaction. I don't know for sure what this is behind my ear but it is freaking me out. I keep waiting for it to start itching and I feel like something is crawling on me. There isn't but my mind thinks otherwise. The psychological effects of these miserable, good-for-nothing bastards is horrible. I have scrubbed my house with bleach trying to eradicate the dirty feeling of having BBs. I have scars on my arms from all the scratching prior to knowing what was going on. I have to wonder why me? They should air drop these things on our enemies to keep them too busy to start wars.

9. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 8:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I laid on my couch last night reading and kept flipping my phone's flashlight on to inspect because I felt like something was crawling on me. I found nothing. I went all through my bedding, scrubbing at any suspicious marks, and found nothing. I pulled my mattress around and inspected it with no findings. I looked over my bed rails and headboard. I found nothing. When I went to bed, I felt like something was crawling on me but there was never anything. After I hit my snooze button this morning, I drifted back to sleep and woke up dreaming that I was in a bathtub with BBs swimming to get me. WTH? I know where these little jerks came from and I have to resist the urge to go to the people's house who pawned that infested recliner off on us to tell them what I think of them. I find myself wishing hexes upon them sometimes. My favorite one is that their crotches get infested with fleas and their arms are too short to reach. Or hemorrhoids.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 10:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some kind of bite behind my left ear but it isn't itching like all the other bites were in the past. They were miserable and caused a rash-like reaction. I don't know for sure what this is behind my ear but it is freaking me out.

During our first infestation I had several bites on my face and they didn't itch at all. They were red and swollen but no itch. Everywhere else was the worst itching I've ever felt.

11. HifromChi

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 10:30:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I seriously feel for you BuggyEyed, I go through the same thing off and on, during the height of my bed bug troubles, I constantly felt like something was crawling on me, I had to resort to medicating myself to sleep by taking a benadryl just so I could relax and get a few hours of sleep because I was running on empty only getting a few hours of broken sleep a night, I also had nightmares, it's awful. It does get better though, the longer you go without seeing a critter or getting bit, the more the anxiety abates. Do I still check my bed every night before climbing into it? You betcha. Ha.

I would be so upset if someone I knew gave me something infested, and even more so, if they knew they had a problem and didn't say anything. It's wrong on so many levels because the damage it does financially and mentally. They'd certainly be people that I'd never speak to again. :/

12. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 2 2017 11:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

During our first infestation I had several bites on my face and they didn't itch at all. They were red and swollen but no itch. Everywhere else was the worst itching I've ever felt.

I react pretty violently to their bites. They itch intensely and I get a rash-like outbreak. They actually caused little knots, for better description, to appear on the underside of my arms from wrist to elbow. My skin felt like brail. Unless something drastically changed, I feel fairly confident that the place behind my ear isn't likely a BB bite but it still freaks me out. I have been inspecting my arms, shoulders, neck and face all morning. I almost convinced myself I had a bit on my upper arm but just before meltdown I realized it was just a patch of dry skin. These things suck, literally and figuratively.

I would be so upset if someone I knew gave me something infested, and even more so, if they knew they had a problem and didn't say anything. It's wrong on so many levels because the damage it does financially and mentally. They'd certainly be people that I'd never speak to again. :/

I have had murderous thoughts, trust me. When they gave that ugly ass recliner to my fiancee, they were in the process of moving. We have since learned that the house they moved from they trashed. I imagine they knew they had BBs but, then again, they aren't good housekeepers judging by the looks of the house they moved into. I would NEVER knowingly risk spreading these suckers to anyone. I've taken to inspecting every seam of my clothes, shoes, etc. I would be mortified to share these things.

13. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 5 2017 1:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen no evidence of the dreaded BBs in almost two weeks (on Monday). I have been checking our bed a few times a day. Yes, I'm OCD and paranoid. The two together are hell. I thought something had bitten me laying on my couch last night. That resulted in a frantic search mission with one of those head flashlights, moving of furniture, thorough inspection of all couch cushions and pillows, etc. I found zilch. Whatever I thought I saw as bites apparently weren't bites. To be fair, they didn't itch nor did I have my usual allergic reaction. I am just completely paranoid every time I see a bug or a red mark on my skin. I sprayed the Dawn and water mixture all over the couch and carpet just in case. I didn't want to use anything stronger where we sit. I'm going to have my fiancee flip the couch over so I can inspect underneath better. I know I probably won't find anything but it would ease my mind to look. I, honestly, have not seen anything at all other than what was on our bed and up inside that awful recliner. If they're hiding, I don't know where. My fiancee thinks I'm crazy. *sigh*

14. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 6 2017 15:55:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Now is the time to stay vigilant, 2 weeks is right at the cycle of when eggs can hatch if there were any remaining so be sure to keep up your search and destroy mission (the nymphs are hard to see if they haven't fed yet) but if you are clear a month with no sightings, you're on a good path to being free of them.

15. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 11:26:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I sprayed the bed frame and the area where the carpet meets the wall behind the bed again last night. I checked the living room where that danged recliner sat and sprayed it again just in case. I am worried that the little blood suckers are waiting me out. How do you really know when it's over?

16. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 16:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

The only way I could gauge that I was winning the battle was that I stopped seeing fecal/blood spots, didn't see any bed bugs (dead or alive) and the bites stopped. I never did see any cast skins so that one is not applicable to me.

The less evidence you see of their presence, the closer you are to being free of them. If you reach a month or more without any of the above, consider yourself a success story.

17. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 16:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have not seen any signs of them at all. I am hopeful but guarded. No bites. No crap. No casings, although, I never saw those either, thankfully. Eww. No bugs -- dead or alive. I have torn things apart looking but haven't seen anything. I think I would have a meltdown at this point if I saw something. I am just worried they are hiding somewhere trying to wait me out.

18. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 16:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

That's all very good (non) signs. I can't remember in your original post, are you in a stand-alone home or multi-unit?

If you're in a stand-alone home, that's even better news, as then you don't have to worry that they dispersed into another dwelling and then return after the dust has literally settled. If you live adjacent to someone, and they didn't get treated, then that's something to worry about. I live in a condo in a 4-unit building and everyone got treated as a preventative measure. I unfortunately was ground zero, I contracted bed bugs from a NEW mattress and box spring purchase from Mattress Firm, they still take away people's old mattresses and then mix them with new ones on their trucks, it took me a long time to be able to drive or walk by one of their stores without flipping them off. Ha.

19. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 16:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I would just have a complete and total hissy fit in the middle of Mattress Firm if that had happened to me. I'd like to go have a tantrum at the people's house who gave my fiancee that ugly, Trojan horse of a recliner. We do live in a house. We have no adjoining dwellings and not super close neighbors. We don't rent so this is all on us financially, which is why I have gone the DIY route. I would much rather have someone else come deal with this but that just isn't an option.

20. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 17:23:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh I did, they reimbursed me some of my cost, but not nearly what it cost to get rid of the blood-suckin freeloaders. :/

21. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 10:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Last night is the first night in a while that I didn't wake myself up slapping like a ninja at invisible bugs that I thought were crawling on me. I was pretty happy about that until I got out of the shower and saw a suspicious red blotchy spot on my collar bone. After I put my contacts in and could see better, I examined it closely. I have extremely nasty reactions to BB bites. In the past, they have almost exclusively been on my arms and occasionally my neck, jawline or behind my ears. They were extremely itchy, swollen and caused a rash/hive-like reaction. Whatever this is on my collar bone, it doesn't itch and there is no perceivable reaction. But, there are little "dots" of red in marks that compose the whole of it. I'm freaking out thinking they are BB bites. My logic says they aren't based on the fact that I am not having the normal reaction coupled with the knowledge that I have not seen any indication of a BB dead or alive in two weeks. I have been examining my bed daily and actually pulled the mattress around to check the places where I found them before. Albeit, they can't actually get to the mattress seams or tag underbelly due to the encasements, it seemed like a likely spot to check. I have seen NOTHING. I go over the sheets, pillows and other bedding looking for fecal spots daily. I have found NOTHING. I have not seen a live or dead bug ANYWHERE. I have still been spraying every couple of days and checking the hiding spots in my bed frame. I have seen NOTHING. I have TRIED to find the jackasses and I CAN'T because there is NO evidence of them at all ANYWHERE. I don't know what the stuff is on my collarbone but it's making me nervous. Even if I have not seen ANY signs of the little demons, is it possible that they could be doing drive-bys on me at night and NOT leaving any evidence behind?

22. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 10 2017 10:57:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be an old bite that is flaring up again, I know lots of people here mention that happening from time to time, almost like an autoimmune response that randomly kicks in.

23. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 11:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So, it's been over two weeks since I've seen any sign of a BB. I thought I may have had a bite (see last post) but I guess it wasn't. I have been sick the last couple of days and spent most of my time laying in the bed or on the couch. I have not been bothered in either place. I've still seen NOTHING. Is it possible that the only place the BBs really were was in that ugly recliner and our bed? Since the recliner got taken out, we have not seen any sign of the jerks in the living room at all. I inspect the bed like a bug-Nazi frequently and I have seen no evidence of them.

Did I get lucky? Is it possible since they went undetected for so long that they just set up camp where there was food and didn't bother moving anywhere else? I kind of suspect that there could be live ones inside of the encasements, particularly the box springs, but I did treat heavily before putting those on.

24. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 12:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am just worried they are hiding somewhere trying to wait me out.

If they are there, they will feed.

25. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 12:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 8 minutes ago  » 

I am just worried they are hiding somewhere trying to wait me out.

If they are there, they will feed.

That's what I thought. I would think that I would see signs of them other than bites, too. I've literally seen nothing. No bugs. No blood or fecal stains. No shed casings. Nothing. I am not complaining. I just didn't expect it to be this quick to eradicate them. I'm skeptical about it.

26. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 16 2017 23:27:48
    #

Login to Send PM

O.M.G. I had a bite. I went looking and found a fecal spot on one of our bed pillows. I know it was new because I purposefully but linens on two days ago that had no stains. I found no other evidence in spite of inspecting the mattress, raising it up to check underneath, scooting it around and going over every piece of bedding. I knew something was there, though. I got the spray and started squirting it in any cracks in the headboard. We have a beautiful, huge primitive wooden bed. While it isn't old, it does have cracks and is meant to look old. About the time I started to spray into the second crack, I saw a brownish speck move. There it was. The bastard bug. I pulled it out but it was dead already. I went to wash it down the sink and came back. There was his freaking brother. Two. I got TWO effing BBs put of my headboard. They were not very big so I'm guessing they were recently hatched. Gross. Gross. Gross. I sprayed the hell put of every knook amd crany I could find. Nothing else crawled out. I went through the entire humongous headboard the first time I sprayed it and pulled a business card through every crack. Either these bastards were hiding somewhere else and migrates there or they hatched from eggs in there. Grosses. Me. Out. I feel like striking a match and starting over. *sigh* I guess it's hopeful that after almost three weeks since the last evidence found that finding two relatively small ones and only one fecal stain is a good thing for the most part. I just want them to go the F away. Ugh.

27. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 21:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

How many eggs are typically laid at one time? How long does it take nymphs to shed to the next stage?

I came home and immediately inspected my bedding. Nothing. Pulled the mattress around checking it. Nothing. Inspected the headboard. Nothing. But, I decided to spray again for good measure. I saw none of the bastards trying to escape this time. I went about spraying the rest of the bed frame and noticed that the glue trap that I have never seen anything on had something in it. I had placed it between the bed and wall. I was horrified to find two small bugs like the two I found yesterday and one tiny one. All were dead or appeared to be. Just in case, I squished them. I'm thinking they may have crawled out from wherever they were hiding when I sprayed yesterday. There were no pesticides on the glue trap. That's FIVE little young bugs after not seeing ANY evidence at all for two and a half weeks. That coupled with the size of these has to indicate new hatchlings, right? I sprayed the carpet and the crease where it meets the wall all behind the bed. I sprinkled DE over top of that. FYI, a parmesean cheese container works well for DE. I'm wondering how many of these jackasses I am potentially dealing with from one hatching?

28. HifromChi

Posted 4 days ago
    Mon Nov 20 2017 12:36:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I cut and paste from another topic, it contains good info on their life cycle that was provided by an expert that is here frequently (Lou):

"ong story short: we had two chemical treatments, were told they didn't find any live bugs, then kept getting bites and found more. Today was our second treatment of the second time around, and live bugs were found yesterday and today by tenants (report from PCO has not yet been received). We would theoretically get another treatment two weeks from today, but I'm curious how long after hatching can the BBs lay their own eggs. As in, if an egg hatched tomorrow and isn't affected by the chemicals from today, when would it lay its own eggs? I'm worried that there's always going to be more eggs laid before the next treatment and it'll never end!!

Bed bugs hatch from eggs, go through 5 immature stages, feeding in each one. Then adult stages of male and female. These are able to feed many times. Mating occurs. Egg deposited over time and requires additional blood meals and mating for more to be produced. A few hundred eggs (200/300 in lifetime of adult) that can cover months. Temperature dependent- warmer and life cycle shortened. General time and under best conditions about 6 weeks from egg to adult. So your issue is a problem with treatment or new introductions of bugs. Maybe preparation instructions are wrong or not being followed by tenants. Residual chemicals of various sorts would take care of any eggs that hatch and give rise to first instar nymph stage."

29. BuggyEyed

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Mon Nov 20 2017 13:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I actually also just read that a female can lay approximately 2-5 eggs daily. Ugh.

I wonder if this would work to draw them out into some sort of trap?

To start mix your sugar/yeast solution to bait the trap. Bed bugs are attracted to carbon dioxide, and yeast produce it as they feed on sugar. Mix 2 cups of pure cain granulated sugar to 2 liters warm water. Use bottle or filtered water so to not have chlorine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7