(30 posts)
  1. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 19:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My first thread disappeared.

Anyway Tuesday night I found a bed bug on my hand after I felt something. It was an hour+ after arriving home. Had been at work a lot and it was my last long day for a while, then my ma's, then Taco Bell.

And yes, it was a bed bug. I'd post a pic but can't without an upload option or risk revealing my identity. It was unfed, very flat, clear/tan with a black dot in it's gut, and it was more round so appeared to be female from what I saw online.

Anyway I immediately checked all around my couch - nothing. Pulled my bed apart, checked the sheets, along the sides of the mattress, lifted the mattress just as I was taught when I worked in corporate housing. Nothing.

Called my neighbor down to help me and he found nothing. He even checked behind my book shelf.

Before bed I checked the couch and my bed again, this time lifting the bed's box spring to peek up inside with a flashlight. Nothing.

Checked again the morning in the dark with a flashlight - nothing. I even checked up under my couch, including it's box spring.

Not only have I found zero bed bugs but I'm still not itching or finding bites on myself. I don't see bloody dots or smoothed poo either. My sheets are mostly white so it's hard to miss, and I have sensitive skin (have to use hypoallergenic everything basically) so I'm sure I'd react to bites.

This is nightmarish because ever since my job in corporate housing I have the fear of bed bugs in the back of my mind. I also suffer from anxiety/depression so it's much worse. I've been through finding carpet and grain beetles so please believe me that any slight tickle I ever had I'd have checked for bed bugs since I worked there five years ago.

Nothing. My place is a small, wider than long with the bedroom on the opposite side of the living room where I found the bug, a one bedroom/one bathroom. An old bed and breakfast converted into apartments so picture a multifamily unit meets condos.

It's been two days and that one bug was literally all I've seen, ever. I can't afford a dog or inspector. I'm scared to say anything lest I be blamed, and I sure don't want to pay hundreds of $ I don't have for someone to say I'm bedbug free (or worse yet, to say I am but I'm really not, or vice versa).

What do I do? Should I bag my stuff? Should I check every day? Where did it come from? Did it hitch a ride? Is it from the guy behind/beside me with whom I share walls? Is it from work? My sister used to work in the warehouse with me and had a similar situation last year before I'd started. Only she found two whereas I found one, and hers were fat and had been fed.

Did it lay eggs?! I'm scared of this. I'm panicked, was barely eating, I had an attack...

What the heck do I do?! Someone needs to help please.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 19:43:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry your post was lost in the site outage. I am glad you came back to post again.

I suggest posting a link to a photo. Start a free account with an anonymous username. Imgur.com is popular. Flickr is recommended but more trouble to get started with. Try to post a detailed photo if possible. Bat and bird bugs may be a tiny possibility (if there are bats or birds nesting in or on the building) and a close photo can rule them out.

Normally I'd suggest a professional inspection. If you can manage this, it may give you peace of mind. The landlord might arrange and pay for it too.

Find out the laws that apply to rentals in your area just in case you need that information later.

Don't rely on not being bitten as a sign-- many people simply don't react and reacting to other bugs does not mean you will react to bed bugs.

If the insect was a bed bug and was "clear/tan" then it sounds like a nymph and can't have laid eggs.

You could have brought it in from somewhere, a neighbor may have them and it could have come from them, which is one reason telling the landlord is a good idea. That's because you may have neighbors already getting treatment, in which case you could be included, or you may have neighbors who have bed bugs and haven't reported it (in which case the landlord would hopefully inspect attached neighbors).

Bed bug monitors may help you determine if the problem is gone-- i.e. if it was just the one bug. See this FAQ on bed bug monitors.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 21:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I mean I have sensitive skin; I need hypoallergenic skin products even. I accept it doesn't necessarily mean I'd react though, it's just surprising. Plus no blood droplets. However anything can still happen. Please understand what the uncertainty is doing to me.

I just need to know what else I can do to know.

Anyway here's a pic - http://m.imgur.com/gallery/u85I2Yn

Keep in mind d that's after I threw it into water out of panic, and so my neighbor could see it.

Also, what if I tell my landlord but no one is getting treated, so now they see me as the culprit? And expect me to pay?

4. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Thu Mar 9 2017 21:48:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I can't figure out how to edit post. Just got to say the bedbug may have been a little lighter than it appears in the pic (either from lighting or water).

Should I keep checking every day? Am I checking correctly?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 7:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Adult bed bug or close relative, not fed recently (at least a few days).

As such and given the location you have found this it may be that you very recently were exposed to it.

In addition to the advice above I would also look at tracing back your movements and and chatting with anyone connected with locations you need to go back to. There are people out there with advanced infestation that show no signs, as such they are literally like Typhoid Mary's leaving a trail of bed bugs behind them in places like libraries, Dr's offices, court rooms, shops, medical facilities.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 9:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it a female? Had it laid eggs?

I had been at work a lot - 12 hour shifts for several days and that was my last one. We stand in relatively close to each other there for hours, plus I hang up my coat and cardigan on the same rack as others. It's common for me to come home and sit on my couch for a bit then retire to bed to do it all over the next day. Keep in mind I found the thing while sitting on my couch.

That particular day I stopped at my ma's and laid there for a bit (tired), then was in Taco Bell with lots of people as they took forever, then arrived home. Had pulled a shirt off over my head leaving my under shirt then threw a cardigan on.

If it means anything, I bagged up the coat I'd worn to work that day and tied it. Unfortunately I don't have those clear bags we used when I did corporate housing so a white garbage bag had to suffice.

Given my work schedule no one had visited me since a couple days before March 1st (and yes, sat on the couch). I found it the sixth.

Do you agree I've done a thorough job checking based on what I said? Is there somewhere else I should look? My apartment is less than 800 square feet and one bedroom.

How much are the bed bug monitors?

And you're saying I should tell my landlord?

7. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems to me an active bedbug monitor is the best choice, no? But do they all require dry ice? Because I can't afford that nonsense.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not eggs that you need to worry about, because unless we are talking about an advanced infestation that is not feasible.

I would suggest you have a chat with infection control at work and ask them about their policies and methods for ectoparasites. The wider issue here is one that you cant solve in isolation from work and having spoken at infection control meetings I already have some resources that will get them started.

You should also check your mum's for:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

As your property is occupied active monitoring is not the best option and messing about with dry ice is NEVER what I would consider a professional approach. There are optimized commercial CO2 kits (Bed Bug Beacon) and ones that people have designed / built themselves.

The option that suits your circumstances best is Passive Monitoring whereby you monitor for bed bugs and remove the device if signs show up. This disrupts the egg laying cycle because they preferentially lay them inside the removable devices.

There are other approaches covered in the FAQs but this is the one I have pioneered. Cost wise its around $20 for the beds and couches which is dramatically cheaper than messing around with CO2 and you don't need to worry about your fingers getting burned.

Hope that helps. I would also recommend you have a look at the anxiety management tips at http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/anxiety to understand why bed bugs naturally make you worry about things like eggs which in most cases are not as big an issue as people think they are.

David

9. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response. That is money I can spend. Can I find it at places like Kmart and Home Depot? I'll get it this afternoon.

I'm kind of afraid to bring it up at work (stigma) unless these are done anonymously. Unlike at my corporate housing job five years ago where I learned about bedbugs and checking for them it just isn't an open, common hazard we discuss.

My ma said they'd just purchased a brand new bed, and reiterated how she obsessively washes her sheets in hot water. However someone close recently started staying there on and off so if it's not one bed it could be the other. I will check.

Thank you for the link about anxiety. My existing anxiety problem is treated with anticonvulsants so please imagine what I'm going through.

Do you think I should be checking every day as I have? Have I been checking properly from what I've described?

What do you think the chances are I've been bitten but had no reaction, no blood droplets on my bed, and came across nothing with multiple visual inspections that I even had a second person do?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 12:08:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You will need to look at online retailers such as the ones linked on the side bars. "Big box stores" have been slow to pick up on what works with regards bed bugs because so many of those products come from smaller niche suppliers rather than their usual suppliers.

I completely understand why you might not wish to bring it up at work but even if that is through an anonymous note to infection control I am fairly certain you will find you are not alone and we only "break the stigma once we break the silence". As I said I have spoken at infection control conferences and that is precisely because it is a hazard that is occurring, silence will never solve it.

If it help[s you to better understand bed bugs thing of me as being like a paramedic. I triage based on facts rather than emotives which can make me sometimes appear blunt but that comes from having said the same thing far too many times before. In the case of anxiety it is a demon that will sap as much energy from you as you can feed it. Sometimes knowing that and being mindful of not getting swept up in what if's helps keep you focused and with us.

I would also say part of that feeding of the demon is looking too often. Weekly on high alert is enough although some people find comfort in a quick check before bed armed with some sticky tape to catch anything. Outside of that please try to avoid anxiety fueling behaviors or obsessive pattern.

As such it is actually better to steer you away from the sort of questions in the last paragraph because there are too many certainties in that area not to give your demon some purchase to claw back.

Hope that makes sense.

David

11. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 12:28:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, but man I can't wait to order something online. Plus my credit union is restrictive so I'll probably have to give someone else the cash to use their card. Is there something I can just buy from the store? Plus I saw something about it needing to work within the first 72 hours; I saw this bug Monday night (not Tuesday like I put in the OP for some reason) and it's Friday. It wouldn't be until at least next week it will be shipped. Ugh!

Every time I think I'm getting somewhere with this I get kicked in the face. I'm so tired of crying and panicking. I feel like I should put my life on hold, that I can't go anywhere or that I'm lying to everyone by not shouting from the rooftops.

I need to know what I can do now that will work. What can I go buy now, that's affordable, that will tell me if there are bedbugs? Please help, I can't deal with this. I'm going to slip into a depression or something.

12. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 13:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So if I'm reading correctly, there *aren't* bedbug monitors at stores that work? If there are and it's the CO2 one then I don't care if I get burned. At this point I don't care if I lose a finger IF the thing works. I just need something now, it's been too long.

Please!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 13:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The dry ICE CO2 method is home build rather than store and as someone who accidentally picked up a block of dry ice as a child I would advise caution.

I personally have not found this to be an effective tool.

I appreciate that you are under anxiety at the second but you need to focus on that and reign it in in order to deal with things as logically as possible.

David

14. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 13:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, I didn't understand that the CO2 thing was dry ice only. As I said I don't want to deal with that mess.

I may be able to pay someone to order the passive one from online. But has it been too long for it to work? I found the bug Monday night, not Tuesday (about to fix that now that I know how. Oh, guess I can't fix the OP).

It's difficult to reign in my anxiety, and it's even more difficult to be logical when the info is confusing and I apparently don't know enough about the topic.

I just want to know what I should do now.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 14:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

CO2 monitors can be dry ice, other homemade versions, or a commercial one like Bed Bug Beacon. As David said, those ACTIVE monitors are not the best bet because you are living there right now. The active monitor would be competing with a live human, who gives off not just CO2 but also heat and pheromones. In a situation where there are few bed bugs if there are any, you're not that likely to be successful.

For this reason, PASSIVE monitors are a better idea. The bed bug monitors FAQ does talk about the different types. A lot of people here also use Climbup (interceptor style) monitors. However, personally, I'd go with the passive monitor.

(Disclosure: I run this site and we advertise both these types of monitors on the site-- more explanation in the site's disclosure policy.)

16. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 15:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I think I can have someone order one for cash since my credit union gives me a hard time for online purchases.

Sorry for intensity. My sister and neighbor are telling me I'm freaking out over nothing (this happened to my sister in a similar case as noted in OP) since we looked and saw nothing, and I feel nothing. My ma is saying at some point common sense has to prevail if I'm finding nothing. None of that is good enough for me however.

Which passive monitor is best? That's what I need. I'd followed links and it was a confusing read.

17. Ombugsman

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 16:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

If you don't want to wait or money is very tight, you could try multiple simple homemade cardboard monitors so long as you check them:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget

18. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 16:49:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 46 minutes ago  » 
    If you don't want to wait or money is very tight, you could try multiple simple homemade cardboard monitors so long as you check them:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/diy-monitor-for-those-on-a-tight-budget

Thanks! Anyone try this? Does it actually work?

19. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 5:07:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no I think I saw another one crawling!

On my couch so same area! I'd been checking around me every now and then. I turn around at one point and saw something crawling along the middle headrest/back part toward my throw blanket! I tried to capture it but took my eyes off for one second and it was gone! Haven't seen it since. Plus I think I have a bite on my left hand.

I ripped off my clothes and tied them up inside a garbage bag. I put on a sweater that got washed somewhere else and I just brought home today. Since I have to wear by law I'm putting on pants.

It says not to stay somewhere else but are you kidding me?! I'm going to have a major attack or something. My ma said to wrap up my stuff and bring it there so we'll go through it.

You guys I slept at my partner's house last night. What do I do?! I feel so guilty! Of course I told him about the one bug, and the clothes I wore and brought there had just been washed at another location (my place doesn't have facilities), so I feel I did all I could, but now what?!

I'm going to be sick.

20. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 7:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't find much about the bed bug laws in my city/state so I'm double checking my lease in the morning. The good news is I apparently have help to do whatever is the best treatment. But since I'm in an apartment would it even be useful if it's not the entire building? Again picture a bed and breakfast converted into apartments. In that case is it best if there's a way to go through my landlord?

Here's a picture of what may be bites in my outer hand. I had to turn up the contrast - https://m.imgur.com/gallery/znFbIq3

I couldn't find the bug I'd seen so briefly. It did look a little long and grain beetles are known to get into that building, but my couch is dark plus there's no other reason to think anything else would be crawling around there.

I wrapped as much of my clothes as I could into garbage bags as tightly as I could and I know it wasn't good enough. We immediately double bagged then tied the bag I brought in (another remains in my car). I'm guessing we'll wash it all. I have no evidence that bed bugs were in my dresser or hanging up clothes, or even my dirty clothes, but I have proof in a tiny plastic bag tied shut inside my freezer that one bedbug was there for sure.
    Now I'm tripping about what I'll wear, what I'll say, about my home not being my own.

21. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 13:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Can someone please reply with some input? My entire life is about to be on hold and I'm so embarrassed. I'm taking the logical steps I need to but I need help.

22. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 14:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So I contacted the maintenance guy and he spoke to the landlord.

Not only am I on my own but he tried to blame my dog or his dog bed (even though I didn't bring his dog bed, and I'm reading dogs aren't a good way of spreading it). Keep in mind they hadn't changed the carpets when I'd moved in, and it took two weeks to convince them one had been urinated on, and I scrubbed the place down myself.

The maintenance guy said something about spraying alcohol water everywhere (???) and that if I don't want to do that then I'm "welcome to move."

This is devastating, you guys. Not only do I not know where it originated but it's revealed who I'm dealing with.

Please help me out here! Should I treat it and stay knowing they're no help? Should I treat it and move? Should I just wash my clothes, keep them out of the apartment, then move? My ma and my sister are on me to use the fogger with spray since my sis says it worked when she found two last year (she's convinced they're from my work where she had been too).

Please help, I have no money and I'm surrounded by people who don't know what they're doing.

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 14:52:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Anxiously - 1 hour ago  » 
    Can someone please reply with some input? My entire life is about to be on hold and I'm so embarrassed. I'm taking the logical steps I need to but I need help.

Hi,

The best help we can give you is to point out that the static content of this site the FAQs and useful tools is written to provide the best advice and best practice.

One of the ways that this helps people is that they gain education and understanding which also help them to break the emotional ups and downs that people can get stuck in if they are panicking and waiting for an answer to a question that has already been answered.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about, bed bugs are a sign that you have come into contact with bed bugs and nothing else. Learning the facts helps understand that.

David

24. bugged-cdn

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 17:06:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Alcohol is strictly a contact killer (you have to see the bug you're spraying to kill it) and it's highly flammable. Alcohol "water" would likely have no effect.

Foggers don't work, in fact, they make things worse.

25. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sat Mar 11 2017 18:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    Alcohol is strictly a contact killer (you have to see the bug you're spraying to kill it) and it's highly flammable. Alcohol "water" would likely have no effect.
    Foggers don't work, in fact, they make things worse.

Just shows what I'm dealing with as far as my landlord. And I'm definitely not going to use the fogger.

I think I'm just out of here. I bagged things up last night as I noted, I'm back today‚Äč with proper clear plastic bags doing the rest.

I may just throw away all my furniture since I can't afford encasing it, or storing it.

Reading over what I said I did with most my clothes last night, was that the best thing before I went to my ma's with them? I know it's supposed to be airtight but I did what I could then we double bagged them at her house right away (and keep in mind I saw no trace of the bugs in my room or my laundry or clean clothes)? It was kind of a desperate situation.

My next steps - speak with my stepsister who faced down a bad infestation, and then contact health department since landlord won't do anything but they're saying I can just go. Possible also contacting a professional; I should have help with costs but given I intend to leave I'm not sure I'll need it. I'd still feel better contacting one however.

Now must figure out if my tv, it's stand, and my DVDs are salvageable. Same with my vanity.

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 1:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

If you PM me your city, tomorrow I can see if I can find local laws. Sometimes landlords lie about whether you're entitled to have them pay for treatment or not.

I am not 100% clear on how you wrapped your items to go to your mom's, but we have a FAQ on how to visit someone without exposing them here: https://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-not-to-spread-bed-bugs-to-others-when-you-visit-their-homes/amp/

The passive monitor discussed above is David's invention, sold as Packtite Passive Monitors. They're mentioned in the FAQ on monitors:
    https://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/bed-bug-monitors/amp/

If you decide to move, it's possible to treat items and take them with you, though it's safest to treat them before entering the new home. The FAQs cover various methods.

It's possible also to have everything treated in a pod with Vikane gas, but it's not cheap and will may be worth it only if you're going to otherwise have to replace lots of things.

27. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 13:10:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I read the FAQ re: visiting relatives but it doesn't exactly fit my situation since I don't intend on staying at my apartment. After I thought I saw another bed bug crawling on my couch (I'd been checking regularly as I sat since that's where I found the one) along with what I think is a bite(s) on my hand (pic I linked to), I immediately got undressed and tied those clothes in a bag. I put on clothes from my room (where I'd found zero signs) that had recently been washed/dried elsewhere and bagged up as much of my clean clothes as possible to take with me. Mind you I don't have a lot.

It wasn't airtight necessarily but we double even triple bagged them at my ma's very quickly and set them outside. The next day I purchased clear bags and returned to my apartment to do the rest properly - air-tight and tied at the top.

That's all I've taken out of my place so far.

However out of panic and concern I've bagged up my comforter and sheets, my knick knacks, and I wrapped one around my tv since it's in the living where my couch with the bugs are. I haven't brought those to my ma's yet.

I threw out my rugs, throw blankets, throw pillows, my travel bag (which had only been in my room, but still), and other stuff.

Today at my ma's I intend to just throw away some clothes and wash the rest on hot then dry them. I've been talking to my step sister who dealt with an infestation of a three level, multi bedroom house with kids inside too.

This morning I left my landlord a message. He called back and I started explaining it to him. Then immediately he's like, "You want to sue me, sue me. I'll put an eviction notice on your door." WTF?! He was on the offense trying to intimidate me. I was in tears and said I never even thought of suing him. I said I'd be fine taking care of it myself but I feel it's ethical and necessary to have his cooperation since it could spread to other units or possibly came from other units. He said no one reported anything, he's not going to, it's all on me, but he will send a guy to spray bed bugs with alcohol. I said that's not sufficient as it's an on-sight killer. He responded that he'd come multiple times, that the units are separated by concrete so bed bugs can't travel (I know for a fact there's cracks, for one thing), but basically made clear he can't be bothered to take these necessary measures to ensure no one else has them and won't reinfect me if indeed that's the source. I brought up the fact that it took two weeks after I'd moved in to convince them my bedroom carpet smelled like urine and that I'm still living with a carpet from the previous tenant in my living room where the bug was (did I mention that?).

I went on through tears that I can't believe how unnecessarily mean and hostile this was when all I wanted was cooperation, that I felt I was doing the ethical and proper thing and never even *thought* about suing. I said this is especially surprising considering not only the carpet situation when I moved in but the fact the unit was filthy and hadn't been cleaned, that there's electrical problems, and the step down coming in the door is probably a violation - all that I put up with and now this is his reaction. And that was that. (Glad I have pics of the unit's condition when I moved in.)

I hope to return today help to drag out the couch and chair, possibly my bed too (I'm just DONE).

I'm also scared because I'm not sure where it came from. It could be work (which people seem to think) it could be another unit, it could be someone who visited and sat on my couch.

I've gone forward with contacting the boss about the issue though. Again I can't know for sure, but it only happened (that I noticed) after I worked several 12 hour shifts there. I hang my coat and long cardigan on a rack and noticed how it touches others. I've also thrown my cardigan down on top of cardboard trays and the long shelf we all share. We stand close to each other too and I have reason to believe at least two people there don't bathe or wash their clothes properly.

Or, two days before I worked those crazy hours, two people visited and sat on my couch, one wrapped them self in my blanket even. At least one had recently left a place where they'd discovered very hard drugs were being consumed (I know this person dealt with bed bugs about a year ago then they'd moved but was unaware of the hard drug problem at that time).

I just don't want more problems. This has been hell. My mental health is in tatters. Plus on Thursday I spent the night at my partner's; I brought clothes that'd been washed/dried and had no contact with where the bugs were and it was only one night but I'm terrified. He knew and didn't mind though.

Ugh.

28. Anxiously

newbite

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 19:54:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm currently washing and drying all my clothes. Other than what I had on when I saw it on my couch, all my clothes were in my bedroom and I was never bitten nor did I see any sign on my white sheets/mattress/box spring/white curtains. But I still want to be careful and do it right.

I'm emptying them into the washer straight from the tied bags then drying them twice since from what I read they should be dried for 30 once they're no longer wet. Does that sound right?

Any more tips?

29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 0:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hot washing or hot drying will kill bed bugs. If items are clean, you can just dry on hot (1/2 hour probably fine for dry items which are normal weight/thickness).

Washing on cold, drying on low till dry, then following with that hot dry is a way to treat items which are not labelled for a hot wash or dry. There's no guarantee you won't experience damage with some items, but many items which can't be washed and dried on hot can be dried on hot if they start out dry.

30. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 5:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you need to give some thought as to where the bedbug came from. Was it just a hitchhiker? Was it in your apartment? Has it come from your mum's place or your boyfriend's place. You may be putting yourself through a lot of work and money for nothing.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,291 posts in 42,979 topics over 129 months by 18,859 of 19,417 members. Latest: UnwelcomeGuests, wouldliketosleepagain, Jweesh