• Started 1 week ago by mp7ski
  • Latest reply from Tim m
  • (no related topics found)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 14:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I've been preparing to move and have our stuff fumigation in a moving truck. Payed rent on a new place and the old place for this month so I have time to do so. Have been buying things and moving it into the new place, taking extreme precautions with ourselves when we go there.

Well today we did just that and my dad stopped by to check the new place out. As we walked through and walked back through I looked down and what do I see, a dead bed bug on the floor... I freaked... where'd it come from? Did it fall off of me? Did it fall off my dad who may have them and not know? Are they in the new place? I don't know what to think. I'm so lost and exhausted. Fu!!

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 18:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have nothing of real value here.... other than I'd prefer dead over alive. So there's that...

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the pros.

Good luck to all, and please research anything you are thinking about possibly doing prior to doing it- SAFETY FIRST!
  3. nomorebuggs

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 18:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dead is good. You have been treating, so it's possible that the dead bug you saw fell off or out of something, especially if it was in the open on the floor. Dead is good.

If you suggest your dad has them, maybe suggest monitors in his home as a precaution.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  4. mp7ski

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 19:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, after going to the bar, having a beer and burger I decided the same. Dead is better than alive so I went about my usual business, planning on going forward with my plan thinking it must have fell off my thoroughly dried clothes. But I decided to go back and look thoroughly and sure enough, found a live one in the main bedroom after 30 seconds. The new place has them. Turns out the previous tenants had a dumpster out in front of it a month earlier throwing a lot of stuff out. I called the landlord and told him and I could tell he knew. He gave me my money back and is reimbursing some money for the new stuff we put in it. We haven't moved a single thing of ours out of the old house and I could tell they set off bug bombs not to long ago cause there were dead bugs of all kinds. Also talked to the landlord at my current place and he's letting us stay as long as is needed. Just glad I found out before I spent all that money. I'm out about a thousand in new stuff but it is what it is. The search for another place continues.

5. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 19:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Well, after going to the bar, having a beer and burger I decided the same. Dead is better than alive so I went about my usual business, planning on going forward with my plan thinking it must have fell off my thoroughly dried clothes. But I decided to go back and look thoroughly and sure enough, found a live one in the main bedroom after 30 seconds. The new place has them. Turns out the previous tenants had a dumpster out in front of it a month earlier throwing a lot of stuff out. I called the landlord and told him and I could tell he knew. He gave me my money back and is reimbursing some money for the new stuff we put in it. We haven't moved a single thing of ours out of the old house and I could tell they set off bug bombs not to long ago cause there were dead bugs of all kinds. Also talked to the landlord at my current place and he's letting us stay as long as is needed. Just glad I found out before I spent all that money. I'm out about a thousand in new stuff but it is what it is. The search for another place continues.

Omg. Well, 1- I'm glad you've gone back and had a look prior to moving in. 2- the landlord needs to be smacked. Certain things should be mentioned. 😩 And finally, 3- it sucks you're at square one again, but I do wish you the very best of luck with moving to a new, and hopefully CLEAN AND BUG FREE place!

6. nomorebuggs

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 19:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so, so, so sorry to hear that! I'm angry just reading it, but I am glad you checked. I can't imagine! Shame on that landlord!

When you find the next place, I would insist on them disclosing if there have been BB in the past, and when. When I move again (currently with family), I will be asking for sure.

7. mp7ski

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 19:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm looking at the positives. At least I found out before I went through with all of this and spent thousands of dollars treating my own stuff just to get them back from the new place. At least I still have a roof over my head. At least im getting money back from the landlord. And at least it didn't fall off of my dad meaning he had them.

It sucks cause I'm stuck in a house that has them as well, but under control and I have to try and find another rental and pray to God it don't have bed bugs either.

8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 20:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

OMFG is right!! I feel for you man. But at least you didn't move in with the bugs. And the land lord was understanding. That could have been nightmare part 2!

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  9. mp7ski

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 14 2017 15:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 1 day ago  » 
    OMFG is right!! I feel for you man. But at least you didn't move in with the bugs. And the land lord was understanding. That could have been nightmare part 2!

Right, he actually seems like a decent guy but regardless I was not moving into that house. If I had to go to court over it, I would have. Hes actually also my dad's landlord and he likes my dad so that could have played a part.

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 12:04:04
    #

Login to Send PM

O.M.G. , what the hell?! I cannot believe this has happened to you.

And you're out a grand and back to square one to boot?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 12:28:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a lot more common than people would realise.

Its also the number one reason why the advice is stay and resolve not flee and leave a problem for someone else.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  12. bugged-cdn

Posted 6 days ago
    Tue Aug 15 2017 18:02:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Ouch.

Nobody will make me feel guilty for leaving the bed bugs behind. The landlord was clueless and 2 years of my life was all I had to give to "the cause". I didnt bring them in so too bad.

Mp7ski, I empathize and truly hope you find a way out of this nightmare.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 8:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugged-cdn,

Sorry if you have read that as guilt'ing, its not. Its a statement of simple short fact.

I reserve the guilt'ing for those I have known to infest 3 or more properties, moving and leaving the problem behind them each time. The more extreme illustration is something I first tracked in 2004 where some communities in London live in houses where the common link is country of origin. This may be 8 people in a 4 bedroom house. The turn over of these houses is high with residents often moving after 3 - 6 months. When you combine this with the wider communities that develop clustered around social clubs and shops that sell imported produce you can quickly see that the issue can becomes associated with a group of people within a geographic area.

I have taken great lengths to remove any specific country because this is a universal pattern, it also happens within social groups, sexual identities, music scenes, religious communities and just about any gathering of people, why because people can transport bed bugs and as such more people will always mean a higher risk. We even have one current cluster associated with the staff at one serious of buildings in central London.

The solution is specific education and communication to those clusters when they occur, to find the community leaders and communication channels to explain this as clearly as possible.

When it comes to moving from an infested property the reality is its a step that multiplies the issue and often does not resolve it. In a recent phone call I picked an example of a location where we have a known occupational cluster and as it happens the person on the other end of the phone went silent and then confirmed they worked in that very building I had named. Given that London has 10 million people that live here and 40 million that work here the odds of that are rather slim at best.

Sometimes the world speaks to us through synchronicity.

I hope that explains.

David

14. mp7ski

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 19:24:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with your main points david. I don't want to move, I would much rather resolve the issue here. Because I do realised how easy it is to move bed bugs with you. However, some people don't have a choice. I'm renting, my lease is up in November when I will be kicked out and the landlord plans on selling the house.

But again, we've had failed exterminator attempts, failed diy attempts, and the landlord being unwilling to allow a heat treatment due to potential damage to the house. So I don't have a choice, I moving one way or another, ASAP or in november.

Moving from bed bugs is not impossible. I believe the biggest issue is that people don't get how easy it is to move them with you and what you have to do to give you your best chances of succeeding.

I know 3 people personally who pulled it off doing less than what I am doing. My cousin had them in Kentucky, in 4 rooms and pretty bad. They used aerosols, bug bombs, and did heat treatment with kerosene heaters without much success. When they moved, they threw out their furniture and any wood, only visually inspecting the rest of their belongings. Yet they moved and went 1.5 years with no further signs before moving back to MI.

The other was a similar situation except they were confined to 1 room, had a failed exterminator attempt, and failed did heat treatment before moving the same way my cousins did. It's been five years since and they are also bed bug free.

The third was my psychiatrist who got them from a hotel, had them pretty bad in her bed room and didn't even get treatment. Just threw out her bed and frame, steamed everything she was taking with a rather cheap steamer and moved. She's been bed bug free for 2.5 years.

I understand it's difficult and not morally right to leave the issue for someone else to deal with. But a lot of us have no other choice.

I know youre not going to agree with me one way or another, it's how you are, I see it all the time on here. But the fact is, not everyone has access to quality pcos, not everybody has the ability to become their own pco, and not everyone has a choice to stay and fight or move.

15. mp7ski

Posted 5 days ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 19:32:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 day ago  » 
    O.M.G. , what the hell?! I cannot believe this has happened to you.
    And you're out a grand and back to square one to boot?

Yup, I'm just thankful I found them before going through with my plan and moving in there, the real nightmare would have been to do all that and then just move into a house that already had them.

They are really getting out of control in my area. Since I've got them, almost everyone is talking about them. I live in a town of about 3000 people, yet 2 apartment complexes have them, the holiday Inn in the town over has them, the great wolf lodge up north has them, A retirement home has them, and multiple homes that I know of have them. They just keep spreading.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 days ago
    Thu Aug 17 2017 8:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi mp7ski,

My statement is not about agreeing with you or not, in fact its not about you at all, its about the risks associated with moving and multiplying the problem. Often by virtue of the cause of the issue not being addressed rather than the accidental transportation of the issue from location a to location b.

If you think about that last sentence in light of the three examples you gave it might become clearer. Your example who was exposed in the hotel was by nature a single source case. In such scenarios a light non dispersed infestation is not likely to be beyond the bed and as such localized disposal is an expensive but feasible option. In the others moving can disrupt the contact with the source of the issue in the first place and thus disrupt the infestation cycle even in a "local source" infestation dynamic.

Equally a person can throw the kitchen sink at an issue and still not resolve it because they continue to introduce bed bugs into their lives. When such people move they may continue to introduce that issue to the new location if they are not addressing things completely.

It is also not about having access to local professionals because that barrier lowered in 2010, was further lowered in 2014 and by 2017 we have examples of self empowered people all over the world.

My writings are often more about helping those who read and might not post, or who find this information in years to come so that they have a more complete understanding. It should be avoided, yes it can not always be avoided which is why I have been very clear from some of my early posts on the subject the impact can quickly become exponential.

To me this is less of a moral issue as an ethical one and the social contract we have with each other.

This is why its not about agreeing with you, I would not have offered the input had I not hoped it would be useful to at least the majority of people who read it.

David

17. CantStopCrying

Posted 3 days ago
    Fri Aug 18 2017 22:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Omg! I'm so sorry this happened to you!!!!! As someone said before I would make the next place disclose the information. So happy you found it before you moved everything though.

18. mp7ski

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 8:42:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Well wish me luck, going to look at a rental this morning. We know who the previous tenants were and to the best of our knowledge they did not have bed bugs. Won't stop me from looking for signs though.

19. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 9:17:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck! Keep us posted, and ASK.

20. mp7ski

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 9:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

CantStopCrying - 7 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, asking isnt really an option if I want the place. Rentals are ridiculously hard to come by in my area. We got lucky with this one cause we knew who use to live there and had a heads up that it is open. I guess there are about 30-40 other people that inquired about the place and I fear if I even bring up the words bed bugs than we won't get it. I'm pretty confident this place don't have them.

21. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 12:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 2 hours ago  » 

CantStopCrying - 7 minutes ago  » 

Thanks, asking isnt really an option if I want the place. Rentals are ridiculously hard to come by in my area. We got lucky with this one cause we knew who use to live there and had a heads up that it is open. I guess there are about 30-40 other people that inquired about the place and I fear if I even bring up the words bed bugs than we won't get it. I'm pretty confident this place don't have them.

I can understand that. I'm a big mouth though and I'd just blame it on other rentals I've looked at. "I've looked at several rentals and they were infested" but I dontotally understand why you don't want to bring it up.

22. Tim m

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 14:46:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck hope everything works out for you. I live in NY so bed bugs are the norm around here. It's hard to find a place that doesn't have them or did have them at one point. It's to the point around here I swear the corner stores will start selling them lol. I just went and got new furniture six months ago I flat out asked them does this store have or had bed bugs. If we end up moving I will most definitely ask the new landlord and surrounding tennets of any bug issues.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335