Odor

(12 posts)
  1. Joannobugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 11:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Experiencing every now & then an odor., can this be from the BB?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 12:39:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It might help if you describe the odour.

Bed Bugs do have a strong scent which is detectable by dogs and some experienced humans but for most non experienced people it is difficult to detect at low infestation levels.

The reason for this is that living in the same space day in and day out the smell slowly builds and most people become acclimatized to it.

The best description I can offer for the smell is a sweet sickly musty smell rather reminiscent of burnt almonds. If you can smell it you will generally be able to see the other classic definitive signs od bed bugs, i.e. :

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

If you search and cant find any I would be willing to send you a pot that is bed bug free but still contains the smell which does tend to linger.

Smell alone is not however an accurate diagnostic unless you happen to be a bed bug scent detection dog and even if one alerts you still need to find the signs above.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. BB_Slayer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 19:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen web sites describe the odor as rotting raspberries, rotting coconuts, and almonds.

Check your mattress and box spring. If you don't see any shed skins or live bugs, you can worry less.

4. kitep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 0:37:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I definately notice an odor after I squash one, but usually not before. Alas, I don't know how to describe it.

5. Joannobugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 14:27:24
    #

Login to Send PM

kitep - 13 hours ago  » 
    I definately notice an odor after I squash one, but usually not before. Alas, I don't know how to describe it.

Thanks for all that have giving me an some answers. I wish I could discribe the odor but I just can't, all that I know is it can come and go at any time. Is this just their odor or are they producing eggs or??? The strange part of this whole deal is I have not seen any evidence of them., however I did get rid of my mattress and have been sleeping on my couch, I have only receive one bite (right on my nose) and it just didn't look like a BB bite, it looked like a pimple--you know maby I am dealing with a different kind of bug. At any rate I washed all my clothes and put them in the bags, tomorrow I will try the Steam and fill the Outlets with the Dust that I have ordered.

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 16:00:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Joannobugs,

Its much more advisable to confirm what you have before you start treating with any products, after all its best to only use things when you know what you are trying to kill.

David

7. Joannobugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 16:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    Yes if I only knew what I was dealing with, but unfortunately it look's as though the people that deal with this doesn't either.
    READ ON!11-3-09,Ed T came to my home to discussed what kind of an insect problem I am having. He didn't think that it was BB which I thought. I mentioned some signs that it may be BB e.g. Bites, odor, black droppings, a blood stain on my quilt as well as what looked like two sacks that may have been where eggs have hatched., also white round stains on my wood floor which also looked like eggs were hatched., his comment "they are water marks" as he rub them with his foot and they did not remove? He wrote up an order to treat for BB and stated that it should take care of whatever. I had some questions, spoke with a Fred and he had Ed come back and at that time he wrote up another contract for the annual treatments on 12-7-09. The tech came on 12-10-09 and he didn't think that it was BB., I ask him to please treat it as though it was, he agreed.
    When he was done I thought I had to leave for at least 4 hrs, which is on the instructions, however he said no, not necessary as the spray he used, it was not neccesary. I asked if he was going to do the attic, stated not necessary. There is a very strong odor coming from the attic and it is noted on the contract as treating the whole house which is only 600sq. Ft. Well the odor got worse, I cleaned out the closets and under the sink and ask when he returns to finish the job please do this as well. When he returned he did Spray something into the attic standing on the stairs that lead up to it, closets etc. Before all this started I washed, dryed and put my clothes in Plastic Bags, of course believing him that I did not have BB, I once again washed & dyed the things that were in the bags and returned them to my closets and dresser drawers. On 12-25-09 I received two bites on my nose and on 12-27-09 another two bites on my neck. I called the office and spoke with Kathy and she stated she was only the office personnel, I asked to speak with a supervisor, but instead she had the dispatcher Amelio get on the phone and he said he would have the tech get back to me, as of yet he has not. I now have four bites, paid your company $424.00 and the problem still exsist. Where do I go from here? BBB maybe?
    Please have someone get in touch with me Pronto!
    Joan De Leo

8. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2009 20:24:11
    #

Login to Send PM

As someone who has done inspections, I will tell you that I have never noticed an odor on a bed bug inspection. They obviously give off an odor, but it is not a strong odor. Dogs can smell it, and some professionals, but you may not ever smell it. If I was doing an inspection, I would never rely on a certain bedbug odor unless I had a dog helping out with the inspection.

9. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2009 14:23:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As said above bed bug odour is a very slight smell unless you are in a stonking infestation (and then I mean 100,000+ bed bugs and not hard to find other signs).

I hate working from descriptive things because what you mean by a word and what i do are always going to be different. I would therefore like to suggest if you feel the smell is strong enough that you try the following.

Take a container that has an airtight screw seal. Leave it open in the area where the smell is strongest for 30 minutes. Seal the lid, sit in an area of the property that does not smell and see if you can detect the smell in the jar. If you can then there is a good chance it would survive travelling to my nose.

I will then smell it and let you know if its bed bug related.

Outside of that all I can suggest is that you put your own nose to good use and try to track down the source of the smell. The only way that most people can detect a bed bug odour is when a fresh one is quashed and wafted under their nose.

Hopefully the smell will turn out to be something else although I fear for what that may be.

I would also say NEVER let anyone treat your home unless they can show you why it needs to be treated and yes for those that missed it earlier that can ONLY be done by finding:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Fresh Faecal traces

Hope that helps.

David

10. bait

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2009 15:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you just move into this house?

Did the odor appear around the same time you started getting bites?

I'm not saying you don't have a biting insect, and maybe bed bugs, but I suggest you get in the attic and search for a dead mouse, squirrel, etc.

You appear to have two distinctly different problems.

11. wchicago

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2009 19:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

when my sofas were delivered, one of them (the sleeper sofa) smelled really weird. if i had to describe it, i would say it smelled like a combination of blackboard chalk and juicyfruit gum. chalky, dusty, and sweet-n-fruity all at once. i wasn't wholly unpleasant, but it wasn't pleasant either. just kind of odd. it wasn't strong enough to notice unless you were sitting on the sofa.
    i thought maybe the sleeper sofa mattress was "offgassing" and it was some weird chemical smell.
    i wonder now if that was an indication of my new guests arrival. if only i knew then what i know now. *sigh*
    david, does that sound like a bedbuggy smell to you?

12. tjc889

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 8 2013 21:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Does the smell come around the same time every night?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.