Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Odds of bugs surviving 1 year, 4 months in garage

(9 posts)
  1. throwwww55

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 16:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

So back in February of 2016, my apartment got a mild-moderate bed bug infestation. A few rounds of treatment later (Mid-March) my apartment seemed clear.

That May, right before moving out of the apartment, I saw what looked like bed bug remnents on some of my books (I hadn't touched them since the spray treatment.) There were a few little dots that looked/smeared like feces, and one little sticky white thing that could have been an egg? I wasn't sure. Just to be safe, I stuck them in a bag and put them in the roof of my garage for over a year.

Now, one year and four months since I bagged those books, I reopened the bag (which had some tears in it, btw) and found a tiny white bug crawling on the edge of one of the books. It was too small for me to get an idea of what it was, however it seemed to have more of a rod-like shape than bed bugs, with white/clearish color with a black head or tail, and was moving somewhat slowly. There's no way any bed bugs could still be alive from back then, right? I lost the bug so I can't take a photo (it would have been to small, anyway.)

I should also mention these books were in the garage during an upstate New York winter...

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 17:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs have survived longer than that in some studies, under controlled conditions. I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on your situation. You found a bug, whatever it was, still alive, so why wouldn't bed bugs still be alive?

3. throwwww55

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 18:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Bed bugs have survived longer than that in some studies, under controlled conditions. I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on your situation. You found a bug, whatever it was, still alive, so why wouldn't bed bugs still be alive?

The bag wasnt air-tight sealed,, and had some small rips in it, so it was theoretically possible for other bugs to enter at a more recent time this summer.

4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 18:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

If you think you would recall the bug in the bag based on other photos you see, do a quick google search of bed bug 1st instars (they would have to be if never fed), book louse, and other tiny bugs. I do believe I read somewhere than a freshly hatched unfed 1st instar nymph can survive up to 3 months without feeding at all, but I know the temperatures also have an effect on their life cycles.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  5. throwwww55

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 19:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I did a quick search shortly after seeing it and I don't *think* it was a 1 instar, but I don't have the full confidence to say so just because I'm extra paranoid. If the nymphs can only live 3 months without food, than any nymphs would be dead by this point, I would think? I guess it depends how long the eggs could last first.

6. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 10 2017 21:05:52
    #

Login to Send PM

throwwww55 - 1 hour ago  » 
    If the nymphs can only live 3 months without food, than any nymphs would be dead by this point, I would think? I guess it depends how long the eggs could last first.

Exactly! And I can't answer that.... for sure a question for Mr Sorkin!! (Our expert entomologist)

7. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 7:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

A picture would be helpful. If you didnt kill it already lol. But if the bag was ripped then anything could have crawled in there at this point. Please post a picture if you can. Put the bug on some lined paper and get the camera to focus on the bug.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  8. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 17:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

If the bags weren't properly sealed you'd have to start the countdown again from zero.

9. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Sep 11 2017 18:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Stop the madness!! You'll be fine - no bed bug today is going to live that long in the conditions mentioned. Couldn't follow all the other posts but stop overthinking it. You'll be fine

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,818 posts in 43,334 topics over 131 months by 18,996 of 19,572 members. Latest: April13Hincher, Bedbughell99, minicooper78