Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

NYTimes: Pill Could Join Arsenal Against Bed Bugs

(6 posts)
  1. wirehead

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2013 17:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Did someone post this link already? I didn't see it. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/pill-could-join-arsenal-against-bedbugs/

Looks like early experiments with canine deworming medication are looking promising for killing bedbugs. Only a 60% fatality rate, but that would be okay if used in combination with something else... and they're looking for funding for a clinical trial.

I know I really wanted something like this when I was fighting BB. I give medication to my cats to make them poisonous to fleas, so it seems like something similar could work for BB and humans!

The article does have some infuriating and/or humorous bits (depending on your mood), e.g. "Dr. Hotez’s hesitation is mostly that bedbugs, unlike body lice and worms, do not cause disease, so xenointoxication seems heavy-handed. ... Brian D. Foy['s]... initial reaction to using it against bedbugs was that he thought it would be easier to clean one’s house and throw out one’s mattress."

Uh-huh.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2013 17:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you search for the tag invermectin you will see this has been discussed extensively before.

The outcome to date has always been:

Don't do this until it is recommended by a medical professional which to date it is not

There is no-one in this forum qualified to give any advice other than that.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2013 17:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

From the same article, Dr. Frank Richards points out a problem:

Because each bug feeds only occasionally, he said, “I don’t buy that a week would do the trick. I think you’re going to need two, three, four weeks. And that’s concerning. We don’t have any toxicity data like that.”

It's one thing to take one dose to kill an internal parasite, but people with bed bugs at home would potentially have to take it for a month and the safety of that is unknown.

That's a big question needing further testing.

The idea calls to mind that pill people were taking for toenail fungus. Great if you don't have any side effects, but lots of people had to have surgery for liver problems!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 4 2013 17:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

AS you may have heard the latest "magic bullet" to hit the theoretical bed bug control realm is the use
    of deworming pills by humans to kill feeding bed bugs. This process is also known as xenointoxication. It some tests, data not supplied, the prescribed dose killed sixty % of the bed bugs.
    While this avenue is certainly an interesting one for health professionals to explore, I just wanted to say "KIDS DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME", for oh so many reasons.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 4 2013 20:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This medication kills about 100 domestic pets every year.

Liver damage is a major concern... I doubt that it will ever be approved for this purpose.

6. MyWorstFear

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 4 2013 21:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Even if this were the magic bullet that we are all hoping will come along and make these bugs extinct, it doesn't help those of us who are just skeeved out about being bait.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,480 posts in 43,023 topics over 129 months by 18,880 of 19,439 members. Latest: summabitches, WhatAreThese, Freakedout101