Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

NY/NJ PCOS Using Steam

(7 posts)
  1. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 19:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

So, our PCO came and did a third treatment which basically consisted of spraying Phantom all over our apartment. In addition, I asked several questions and found the techs they sent to not be knowledgeable about bed bugs at all!

I am going to wait and see how this treatment went, although I am not hopeful. I am tryng to research companies that use a more integrated approach if this last treatment did not do the trick. Anyone know of any companies that use steam, chemicals and dust in treating? Thanks!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Feb 27 2009 22:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a NY company that uses steam, chemical, dust, etc. If Phantom was used it can take some time for an exposed bug to die. That being said you may have to wait some time to know if the treatment is or was effective. When you say sprayed Phantom all over the place, what type of application was done? Baseboards only?

If you find a company that uses steam you have to ask how much time they spend in each room, how long will it take to steam a mattress or sofa? My rule of thumb is 10 seconds of surface space per square foot & that takes a long time on top of the rest of the treatment applications.

3. Velvet

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Feb 28 2009 0:36:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Many companies use an integrated approach. Integrating chemical and non-chemical elements are very important. As an example, if there is a significant amount of clutter in a home this will be an impediment to a successful treatment. Eliminating clutter is a critical step in a successful and yet it is a non-chemical step. Steam is also a non-chemical approach. The key for a company or technician is to know why a specific method is being used. Let's start with Phantom. There is no known bed bug resistance to Phantom. That's a plus. A downside to Phantom is that it takes longer to kill bed bugs, about 2 weeks, than other pyrethrins such as Suspend or esfenvalerate (Onslaught). Another downside of both of these products is that they do not kill eggs. This one of the reasons for 2nd and 3rd treatments - to kill nymphal bed bugs emerging from eggs. Steam is advantageous because it is green and it kills all life stages of bed bugs; eggs through adults. So why not use steam alone? Steam kills on contact but there is no residual left to keep on killing. Steam only kills what it comes in contact with (by the way same goes for cryonite systems as well).
    Consider an upholstered chair or couch. Bed bugs can really get lost in those pieces of furniture. If the steam does not reach them in very close contact it won't kill them. This is not to say steam isn't useful- it is. It's just important to know the pros and cons of what you are using and why. Mattress and box spring encasements are critical to achieving control as well. Dusts are very useful as well. Drione is especially useful because it contains ground up glass n=that acts as a desiccant and lasts a long time. Very effective behind baseboards. There really is much to consider when treating for bed bugs. The principles however remain the same - it's just how they are applied to a particular situation.

4. BBsBgone

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 1:10:50
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ- in the bedrooms they sprayed our bed frames, inside dresser drawers, and the walls from a certain height down. In the living room, the crevices and undersides of upholstered furniture. They also sprayed the baseboards of the entire apartment.

Velvet, yes I agree that using various methods would assure maximum results.

I guess I will wait to see if this treatment gets rid of what we have remaining. if not, I think we will find someone who uses steam, dust and residual insecticide.

5. Freaked out

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 1:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope all goes well for you!!!!!!

6. hoo2677

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 2:58:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had 5 treatments, albeit, two of those were 1 week apart as i was at the mercy of my property management to get the last one on the house from a different co than i had been using. The last was Terminex, and yes, they brought their cryonite, but i was more interested in their tri-die and phantom that i knew they would use that my previous "spray jockey" uses.

I've used my steamer to do my bed in the middle of the night, steam my sofa (which may still go), my floors, clothes, etc. I don't use it every day, but I don't regret purchasing it. It's a dandy little device and you can do a nice job inside and outside your car with it, if you have both. Terminex did some caulking to, which surprised me.

My house has been very bitey today. It's maddening! However, after getting my old bed (external bookcase like murphy mounted to wall - bad - platform for mattress - bad, and replacing it with an all metal futon frame sitting in four flan plates ringed with doublestick tape and filled with a lemon/murphy's oil cocktail, i have been 5 night bite free in bed. No where else mind you (416 sq ft studio), but sleep, blissful sleep. And sure they are walking all over that phantom, and i think the ones biting me right now, will end up in tomorrows laundry, (you know, why jump ship when the buffets open all night).

I'll jump in the bath in a few to get clean, jump in bed (gingerly mind you, those legs slip in the dishes if you just dive in - mattress in encasement) so ok, slide in slowly - indulge my new OCD re, lint, and then hopefully, god willing, slumber.

There are good days and worse, today, not so good. Oh, shoes, yes, never say never (I did, previously) - CROCS, those ugly plastic shoes - they can take boiling water like nobody business.

I wish you rest (If you are just on the edge and can't take anymore, go to a hotel for a night, it will help in many ways - except you have to go back, but it's a good thing if you are on your last leg. Renewing.

Portland, OR

7. BugBoy911

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 9:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

There are also ways chemically to kill eggs or dry them out. I find the only problem with steaming an apartment that doesn't have a huge infestation is time and money. Mabye its just me, but with a vaccum, and a select bunch of aerosol pyrethroids, pyrethrins, Dried Silica, and general application equipment I've had a very high success rate. I don't understand how you can ask somebody a question who is spraying your house down, and for them not to know anything, then you let them do it anyway lol... Its just like, yea my daughter has a cough, "well I don't know how to treat coughs," here take tylenol... and you listen! They probably didn't even use phantom or know what it looks like.... They probably had another bottle of the BedBugs favorite Suspend SC... They love this stuff and in NY with a 264 percent increase in resistance i would say to back off from the Suspend... if your getting bit often, I"M sorry but phantom wouldn't be my choice in your specific stituation. YOu have a small apartment, did they ever actually treat the apartment, or just spray like a mad man?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,262 posts in 46,759 topics over 142 months by 20,630 of 21,514 members. Latest: jungr, laurwes, Cursive08