NYC PCO need advice!?!

(22 posts)
  1. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2008 13:20:43
    #

Login to Send PM

So yes there are lots to chose from. I am hoping for some help from you guys. So all you nyc people who are you using for pco treatment? i need some recomendations including how much you have spent so far, how many treatments it has taken, and how many is included in the initial fee. I live in greenpoint, it is not out of hand yet, but i want to nip it in the bud. I have mentioned below three i am looking into, if anyone has good or bad to say about them please post. Also if there is anything locally that is really good i would be interested as well.

i am looking at:
    stern environmental because they have some new kind of treatment called Cryonite.
    Broadway exterminating-they seem to know what they are doing
    Pest away-seams pro as well

thanks in advance

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2008 18:38:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you get legitimate recommendations but just wanted to let you know you can search the forums with those names to see where those companies have been discussed here.

3. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 2 2008 18:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I think i want to go with stern environmental group. they have the new freesing meathod. has anyone used this?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2008 1:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

oh_no,
    Click the word cryonite above (in the tags) and read all the other threads. At least one other person has used them, but it is a new service so I don't think many here have yet.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2008 9:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not use Pest Away. If they spent as much care on customer service as they do talking to the press, they'd be a much better company. I live in NYC too, and the cost for a 2-bdrm is about $1500. PM me for more info.

6. St.BarthsBites

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 3 2008 9:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. We went with Stern. Great customer service and super nice technician. Unfortunately, we have had very little success yet though (success being defined as 100% eradication). They have been very responsive and come right out when we report bites.

7. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 23:31:26
    #

Login to Send PM

stern is coming on friday to cyronite my house. we will see how it goes. ive laundered most everything now. it is all in contractor bags. tomorrow gonna take books off the shelf and do some crazy vacuuming.
    i really hope i can beat this!
    i will keep updated on what I think about stern.

8. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2008 1:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I had 4 companies and my best experience has been with Freedom Pest Control. Before them I had: Hill's Pest Management (begbugking.com), First Rate Exterminators, and Arrow Exterminating. Cesar of Freedom Pest Control has been the nicest, most thorough and most knowledgeable of all and by far! They don't have a web site yet, but you can watch a video about their services at the link below. I told the story of my experience with Cesar of Freedom Pest Control under the topic "bed bug canines."

http://www.yellowbook.com/profile/freedom-pest-control-llc_1820355247.html?addressId=1

9. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2008 6:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

BBEnigma,

I've already hired three companies and happened to call Cesar a few days ago. He came right over for almost an hour for a free inspection. He even breeds his own colony of bed bugs and seems passionate. Definitely the most knowledgeable PCO I've met--he's met Lou Sorkin and knows of Michael Potter. Would love to hear more about your experience...

10. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 6 2008 22:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

the freedom pest control video cracked me up. I'm calling them tomorrow.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2008 12:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info on Freedom, bedbugsenigma. I enjoyed the video too

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2008 12:28:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Max's comments have been deleted as they violate site policies.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 7 2008 22:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

oh_no,
    Good luck and please do let us know how it goes.

14. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2008 12:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my first treatment yesterday. cleaned out my bed room, did all the laundering, vacuuming. The Stern guy that came is very knowledgable. He used cryonite all through the house, on the furnature and in all the cracks and closets. then hew went around and sprayed a bit of chemical along the base boards. I am hopeful, but I did wake up with a few bits on my hand. Makes me sad, but hopefully that bug will cross the chemical.

Do others usually experience bites after the first treatment right away? I hope this isn't a bad sign.

I'll keep you all updated

15. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 8 2008 18:47:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh_no,
    I think no matter what's used you still get bit for a while.You should notice a reduction within the first 5 days of treatment though.Don't panic,it's still early yet.Keep us posted and good luck.

16. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 17 2008 23:10:01
    #

Login to Send PM

anyone else have any updates on their pcos? Freedom pest control came over last week and they're coming tomorrow for the first treatment. They seem to be awesome. It was actually fun having them over for an inspection.

17. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 8:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my second visit with stern a week ago. I think i got some bites on my foot and shoulder since then. I am going to see if doing a batch of laundry and vacuuming will fix the problem, which is down to minimal now, a bite every 5-6 days(?), i used to get bit almost every night. I am hopeful that this can be got in one more treatment. that will probably be next week.
    I have been sleeping with my legs feet torso and arms covered. on the skin which is exposed i put tea tree oil. I feel that it is working, generally.

18. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 16:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems like the Cryonite method seems to be shaking out much the same way it has with other companies and in other countries. It is a tool much like steam. It will not kill
    everything but is a tool with certain uses. Even the manufacturer as well as those offering it mention the need for combined treatments.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2008 0:23:46
    #

Login to Send PM

oh_no, if you are still being bitten, I would not hesitate to get your PCO back in to repeat treatment (and perhaps combine methods as Winston notes).

20. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Mar 28 2008 18:13:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    Getting someone over here to re-treat early next week. I hadnt gotten bitten in one week, so I was hopeful, but i think i just found some on the back of my neck, the hardest place to know if it is new or old.
    i should have had someone over sooner. oh well, I cant stress about these things any more. PCO will come, and we will see how that week goes. I know that what Stern is doing is working, just not at 100% quite yet. I am looking forward to that. I had hoped to be done with this problem within this past month, i just hope it wont carry on too late into april.
    good luck to everyone out there!

21. oh_no

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 23:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Got my third treatment last monday. so far so good. I moved out of plastic bags last week, i couldnt handle it any more. I dont seem to be getting bit, hard to really be 100% sure since i have lots of old bites and they tend to act up. I am hopeful and assume that right now I am okay. Happier, not stressed about it, but just looking at this forum makes me sad for everyone going through it.
    I would reccomend Stern Environmental group for a small apartment. Cryonite seemed to speed up the process, plus it is really cool to watch them spray the freezing snow around, looks like it works. Their supervisor Wilson, he sprayed my house, is very knowledgeable and very nice. I didnt have a bad outbreak and the bugs were just biting in my bed room. the treatment is expensive, but if you can get your landlord to pay all or most it is worth it to get rid of the problem.
    good luck everyone! Hopefully I wont have anything else to add to my story I am aiming for success! I hope I am there already.

22. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 9 2008 23:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh_no,
    I'm praying for you.Good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl