Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

NYC map of bedbug location--what is best online map?

(5 posts)
  1. prephelpny2011

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 14:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know a good online web site for NYC that should locations (apartments especially) where bedbugs have been found? I came across a site in my research and can' t seem to find it again. It was a map, perhaps from city, of address locations where bedbugs have been found. So in my area, there were lots of markings indicating this area is pretty well infested.

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 17:58:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Non-expert opinion: such maps and registers and so on aren't really meaningful because infestations, whether in apartment buildings, office buildings, hotels, or wherever, are fairly common in some cities and also they're in flux coming and (hopefully) going, month by month and even week by week, quite difficult to gather reliable information about and even if solid information were to be had, would be quite difficult to keep updated sufficiently close to real time and in adequate detail to be useful. What if an apartment building has bugs reported but only on south side of the 9th floor, but whoops, now this week there are unconfirmed reports of a severe occurrence in two inner apartments of the 6th floor and rumors about the penthouse; six months ago the building had a severe infestation on the 3rd 4th and 5th floors but that seems to have subsided; so would you want to avoid that apartment building, when many other apartment buildings might have equally irregular and time-varying patterns of occurrence; and remember, many residents avoid reporting they have a problem, and certainly management doesn't want to advertise there's a problem.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 18:11:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yah. I look at the bed bug registry and see that most of the local problems I am personally aware of haven't been reported. Others were reported three or four years ago. The whole picture isn't there and the picture which is there does not give the latest information. It's the name of the game. I think you're thinking of this site.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. prephelpny2011

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 12:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Makes sense what both of you are saying. I was curious if there were a lot of bed bug infestations in my neighborhood.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 12:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember you can also check the HPD website to see if a particular building has bed bug violations on record.

As with the Bed Bug Registry, it only works if the problems have been reported. Most NYC tenants do not report their cases to the city, they just go to their landlords. Homeowners would have a disincentive to report their cases, so I doubt any would be reported. And in the case of HPD violations, a complaint has to lead to an inspection that finds bed bugs present (which isn't always easy).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson