(12 posts)
  1. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Apr 16 2017 22:30:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All

I have a small bedroom, about 2000 cubic feet, that has BB's. I don't know if it qualifies as an "infestation," but I've been bitten, and have seen the little monsters when I've got up to use the bathroom in the night.

I want to try to get rid of them myself before I consider spending serious $'s on an exterminator.

My plan is to use the Nuvan ProStrips: 2 of the large ones hung in the room, a small one in the closet, and half of a small one in each of the draws of a dresser, I understand the strips can be cut, plus maybe another small one under my bed; I also plan to spread DE around the perimeter of the room, socket outlets etc.

The room has a 3 speed ceiling fan/light fixture which I would leave running on the lowest setting to circulate the vapors.

The windows are pretty tight, no drafts or leaks when it's stormy out, plus I would tape the bedroom door closed and leave it for a week... I really want these little buggers GONE!

Has anyone tried anything like this before? I'd welcome any comments from any of the more experienced people on here.

Thanks
    Paul

2. CantStopCrying

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Apr 16 2017 23:17:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no expert but I feel like they would just leave the room and go to other parts of the house. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Trouble in paradise

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 5:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Nuvan pro strips aren't meant for treatment of a bedroom.

4. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 20:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

CantStopCrying - 21 hours ago  » 
    I'm no expert but I feel like they would just leave the room and go to other parts of the house. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've read the little monsters don't "run away" from this stuff, and if they did, they would hopefully run through the DE!

5. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 20:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Trouble in paradise - 14 hours ago  » 
    Nuvan pro strips aren't meant for treatment of a bedroom.

Can you expand on that? In the instructions the strips are recommended for areas of specific cubic capacity; the Large will treat an area up to 1200 cubic feet, and the Small will treat up to 200 cubic feet.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 22:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread will be of interest: Why not use DDVP as a primary treatment for bed bugs

Note particularly posts by P Bello who is an expert on Nuvan (and paid to work on the product). He is an advocate of the product but also a PMP.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 9:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 hours ago  » 
    This thread will be of interest: Why not use DDVP as a primary treatment for bed bugs
    Note particularly posts by P Bello who is an expert on Nuvan (and paid to work on the product). He is an advocate of the product but also a PMP.

Thanks Nobugsonme, that's a great thread!

After reading that, and some other threads on here, I think I'll dust with CimeXa instead of DE; it seems to be more effective, and so preferred by Pro's.

The first part of the thread was interesting as the discussion was centered on using a heater in the area to be treated.

The updated(?) Nuvan instructions that specifically address dealing with BB's state that the product works best at between 65-75 degrees F, rather "than cooler temperatures."

Thanks again!

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 13:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

HAL lives - 4 hours ago  » 

After reading that, and some other threads on here, I think I'll dust with CimeXa instead of DE; it seems to be more effective, and so preferred by Pro's.
    The first part of the thread was interesting as the discussion was centered on using a heater in the area to be treated.

Although as P Bello notes that usage is not per label instructions and you should always follow label instructions.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 14:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have central air with duct work?

Bird dreams are not admissible in court.
  10. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 21:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 7 hours ago  » 

HAL lives - 4 hours ago  » 

Although as P Bello notes that usage is not per label instructions and you should always follow label instructions.

Oh, don't worry, I have no intention of leaving a heater running in the room for a week!

I just thought it was an interesting discussion and wondered if it was originally inspired by the products own recommendations.

11. HAL lives

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 21:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 hours ago  » 
    Do you have central air with duct work?

Nope, no AC or ducting in the room, just a standard 3 speed fan/lighting fixture, which is pretty common here in Sunny SoCal.

I'm considering leaving the fan running at its lowest setting to help circulate the vapors.

12. CantStopCrying

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 22:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

HAL lives - 1 day ago  » 

CantStopCrying - 21 hours ago  » 

From what I've read the little monsters don't "run away" from this stuff, and if they did, they would hopefully run through the DE!

I wasn't suggesting that they would run from the strips or whatever treatment you go with. I was suggesting they would leave the room and go to other parts of the house looking for a meal. Hopefully that would mean running through the dust and dying but you never know.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,386 posts in 40,546 topics over 123 months by 17,741 of 18,101 members. Latest: hopeful77, omgwhut, jadew077