Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Not a bed bug but what is this? [a: spider beetle]

(8 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 22:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

We have these little guys in the bathroom and kitchen . They usually come out in the spring but this year they're early. Found this one inside the tub trying to crawl out. What the heck is it?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 14:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad you couldn't get closer to take a picture so the beetle would be enlarged. It looks like a species of spider beetle (family Ptinidae).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 17:09:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I tried so hard but it just got blurry. Darn my camera on my phone. Thanks though. Maybe if I find my good camera Ill brimg this tread up again.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 21:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 4 hours ago  » 
    I tried so hard but it just got blurry. Darn my camera on my phone. Thanks though. Maybe if I find my good camera Ill brimg this tread up again.

Try putting the insect on lined or graph paper to see if that helps with autofocus feature of phone camera.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 21:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsbugme - 4 hours ago  » 

Try putting the insect on lined or graph paper to see if that helps with autofocus feature of phone camera.

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 23:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I already washed it down the drain haha but I'm sure there will be more. There always is

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 2:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad. Can't get another picture and one that is taken much closer to the insect. I'm guessing as to the size of the body and some other structures. It could turn out to be a small cerambycid beetle. You've seen others exactly like this one at other times?

8. bedbugsbugme

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 17 2017 3:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah they come out in the spring and disappear sometime in late fall early winter. They have little white markings on their lower section. I see them individually in the kitchen, back porch and bathroom mostly inside the tub. I hardly ever see 2 in one spot though I have seen 2 or 3 in the same room, mostly in the kitchen. Ant raid traps seem to keep their numbers down but probably not enough since we still see them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,526 posts in 41,334 topics over 126 months by 18,111 of 18,532 members. Latest: Pleasedontbebbs, pleezehelp, tarito