(64 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 11:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

Occasionally this happens. It is not a bug and your post is not gone--instead, it is probably in the spam filter. For whatever reason, the spam filter thought you were writing a spam. Sometimes it happens if you include more than 2 links in your post, like spammers often do. Sometimes it happens if you post lots of messages in quick succession, like spammers often do. I am not saying that you should not post in quick succession (I do it often) or post links appropriately, but this is just what SOMETIMES triggers the spam filter.

To give you some perspective, only a couple of people a week (who are not actually spammers) are getting into the spam filter, and USUALLY it happens once. But if you keep reposting that message, then yes, the spam filter may have its ideas that you are a spammer reinforced (this is how it thinks), and more of your messages will go in.

If it happens to you, you will likely see the message "topic not found" after posting. If this happens, do NOT re-post. If you do, that message will be tagged as spam too. Why? Well, you have to get how the spam filter thinks: the spam filter thought you sent a spam, you reposted an identical message (or almost identical one) a minute later--now it has even more reason to think you're a spammer.

The best thing to do is wait, since the system sends me an alert when something is flagged as spam. I will check it as soon as I see the email and am in front of a computer again.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 12:31:12
    #

Login to Send PM

quick response posted, read, bumped up, et al ...

3. ofallthebeds

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 13:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Message read! That explains why the first posting i tried never showed! Thanks!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 22:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you!

5. nyjammin

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jun 24 2007 16:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, "Bedbug Evidence". I posted a response to Bedscouk (spelling?) in the aforementioned post and it disappeared. I also pm'd you about it. I hope you can get it back. Thanks. BTW: I can see my post when I'm logged in and only me because the post is not updated as me being the last one who posted when I'm logged in and my post disappears when I log out. Strange.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 7 2007 14:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

As above, it was in the spam filter.
    When this happens, PM me, since then I will get to it sooner. But otherwise, I usually check it every other day or so.

7. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2007 15:51:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, I pm'ed you because I think this just happened to me. . .

8. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2007 18:40:40
    #

Login to Send PM

and now when I post in my old thread, it doesn't update right on the main page - it shows the last post as being 3 hours ago on the main page (post 60 I think) but it was just minutes ago. . Weirdness.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 0:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sixteen,

I am sorry the spam filter got your post.

But you need to READ the message above. It says this:

"If it happens to you, do NOT re-post. If you do, that message will probably be tagged as spam too. Why? Well, you have to get how the spam filter thinks: the spam filter thought you sent a spam, you reposted an identical message (or almost identical one) a minute later--now it has even more reason to think you're a spammer."

You posted the identical message three times. Then you posted three other messages. After posting the first message three times, as I said, the system thought you were a spammer. So it held on to the other three messages, just to be safe.

I am just a volunteer and though I'm not usually away from the computer all day, sometimes I am, or I'm busy, and I will help as fast as I can. Just remember, if you think something "disappeared", just be patient. Drop me a PM (as you did), but don't repost, ok?

Thanks!

10. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 6:11:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes but it's not like it says "Sorry, the system thinks this is spam" and lets you know LOL

I didn't realize what was happening right away - what it did, is I posted my post and then I had a second thing I decided to say, and I went to make a reply and after hitting to send it, it told me the topic was closed. Not spam, just "this topic is closed" . . I was puzzled. So of course I tried again.. I think I *had* read this before my third try but missed that part. .

So how come it tagged it as spam in the very first place? Was it the links? Something must have caught it's eye originally, for it to do that. .

11. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 9:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The spam filter might be triggered, as Nobugs indicates above, by numerous links and messages posted one after the other. Or other reasons, maybe very long posts are also tagged. I've had my posts caught by the spam filter. It can happen to anyone. Over time, I decided to include only 2 links max and always made an effort to keep the posts as concise as possible, which is helpful for other people reading them.

The spam filter, though, is great--imagine what this forum would look like without it.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 18:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Very long posts with multiple links sometimes trigger the filter.

Triggering the filter once and posting again absolutely does. In the last month, I think only a couple of messages have gone in there. So it is really not a problem. It once was, but a software update helped.

13. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 21:43:49
    #

Login to Send PM

hope - hah maybe it caught me for both then, as I had two links and it was a little bit long, though not really. An oh yes, I've seen plenty of spam get through into forums before; I'm not complaining, I was just curious what/how/yada yada

nobugs - figures I'd set it off then, it's like the breakable thing in the room; If it's gonna be knocked over, it's me that will do it LOL

it's all good.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 22:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

just remember, if it happens, don't post again. PM me and i will see to it when i am at the computer again. sometimes that's fast, sometimes hours...

15. bedbugfree

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2007 16:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, I just spent 30 minutes writing and it disappeared.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2007 19:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, bedbugfree, your messages went to spam. Your messages exhibit every sign of spam.

17. persona-non-bugga

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2007 16:43:43
    #

Login to Send PM

testing spam filter

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2007 23:29:47
    #

Login to Send PM

caught yours yesterday persona. sorry. if it happens aagain, you can email me: nobugs at bedbugger.com. but there may still be some delay if i am working away from computers.

19. persona-non-bugga

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2007 11:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for taking care of it, nobugs! Just took me a little experimenting to figure out whether I could post in other threads or not.

20. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue May 20 2008 6:49:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I tried to add the link for Fox's used mattress story to the thread started. It shows up on the forums when I'm logged in, but when I'm logged out it does not show. I then tried to make a new thread on it and the same thing happened.
    Well, here's the link if it shows up

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=6579958&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 22 2008 11:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Paula,
    I rescued it yesterday. Sorry--once a post goes into "spam" your subsequent posts will also. Best to email me when it happens.

22. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 17:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

One of my posts has just gone missing.

23. 1STEPAWAYFROMLOONEYVILLE

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 23:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

NOT SURE IF THIS IS GOING TO POST BUT HERE GOES.
    I am not sure if I am having bed bug bites or if these itchy welps are a result of an allergic reaction to medication. I recently visited a hospital ER where I was treated w/ Naprosyn and Roboxin. Within 2 days of taking these meds, I found welps and what looks like Mosquito bites. I inspected my bed, but to no relief. I did not find any of the things that have been prescribed. My infant child is due to come home tomorrow, and I am freaking out because we share a bedroom. the thought of discrading everything and pulling up my rug is daunting to say the least! Any suggestions for a good bed bug spotter in westchester county, ny?

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2008 20:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

1st Step,

Please go to http://bedbugger.com/forum

Click "add new" to create a new thread and repost your message there.

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 3 2008 20:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugvictimperthaustralia,

Your post has been rescued.

In future, if it happens, please email me for a swifter response: nobugsonme at yahoo dot com.

26. vampiremenionprey

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 2 2008 10:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Read it. Thank you. Now I understand and I hope I didn't cause you extra work from the 3 reposts

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 4 2008 1:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries! (I know I just reposted that. but anyway...

28. Elahrairah

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 17:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I am trying to post one of my first questions... but when I do it I am not directed to the post but to a 'no topic found' page.

I have tried reposting my topic 3-4 times now. It does have 6 links to images of bites.

29. Elahrairah

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 17:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I got it figured out by putting [img] tag in front of the links, I was able to get past the spam bot.

30. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 13 2009 0:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Elahrairah - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hi I am trying to post one of my first questions... but when I do it I am not directed to the post but to a 'no topic found' page.
    I have tried reposting my topic 3-4 times now. It does have 6 links to images of bites.

Hi Elahrairah,

Please read the thread above your post here. If you post 3-4 times, it does not help you get out of the spam filter. It simply convinces the spam filter that it made a good decision -- since spammers commonly post the same thing over and over!

Your post was rescued from spam by me.

Next time, please do not repost. It does not help you get your message out, and it gives me more work to do when I come along to rescue it.

I am sorry the spam filter sometimes filters legit posts, such as yours. It also keeps a lot of spam out of the forums, and this is why we continue to use it.

31. bugged58

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 9:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I just PM'd you. Is there any way that the system could inform the person who posts that their message went into the spam folder? Thanks.

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 11 2009 0:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged58,

No, sorry -- right now I can't make that happen. I will keep it in mind if it becomes possible.

However, if your post does not appear, the spam filter is most likely the case.

In your case, you quoted someone's post with two links in it -- and then added another link. The spam filter was probably triggered by this.

It does not always happen, but if it does, I try to release them daily. I apologize for the inconvenience. The spam filter catches very few posts -- none most days -- and many of the posts caught are actual spam.

33. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 23 2009 9:35:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like spam filter got one of my posts, long response to bugged 16 with multiple links.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  34. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 24 2009 2:17:25
    #

Login to Send PM

HI ci!

Just saw this but I think I cleared the message from spam this morning. Sorry about that!

35. BagCarpet

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 24 2009 6:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Ack! I've been spammed! That's what I get for linking to images. I did a double post before I realized what was happening ... the second one is probably preferred.

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 25 2009 3:35:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BagCarpet,

It happens -- sorry it happened to you. Your post is now released from spam.

37. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2010 12:33:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Think I have been spam trapped again.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  38. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 5 2010 17:13:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Freed now!

39. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 11:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

another spam trapped on:

Dry Ice Montitor trap: Dry Ice doesn't last long, what about C02 cartridges

David

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 14:41:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Fixed!

41. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 19:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

again for caulking.

maybe the spam filter is just having issues with me again.

David

42. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 1:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, it's released, and hopefully will not keep happening, David.

43. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 19:23:48
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah in caulking again.

David

44. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jan 7 2010 23:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Arghh!

And just so you know, I never need to know which thread. It all goes to the same bucket.

45. craziness

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 3 2010 22:34:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Heh. Just read this, but not until after I resent my post that I thought disappeared. Sorry about that. It was in the "DDVP "No-Pest Strips" Information" thread.

c

46. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 1:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

It's released now! FYI -- I check every day. You can always post here if you want to alert me. But no need to post here and also PM.

Thanks!

47. Cens

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 9:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting. It seems when I try and reply to my post with a quote, it won't post. When I take the quote out of the reply it works.

48. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 5:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Cens,

That seems very odd to me.

49. Cens

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 12:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 7 hours ago  » 
    Cens,
    That seems very odd to me.

I'll try and reply with your quote. I thought it was strange too. Here goes...

50. Cens

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 12:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems to work now.

51. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 15 2010 11:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Great!

52. ghostbitten

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 17:17:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted, but had to edit it to add my photos as I was silly and forgot.. now it doesn't show. :3 Should I repost if it was lost?

53. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 20:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

ghostbitten, I pulled it out a few hours ago, but forgot to post and let you know. Sorry.

When posts come out of spam, they don't appear at the top of the forums because they post according to the time originally posted. I have now replied to the thread to bring it to the top.

54. Vickytoria3112

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 12 2010 14:44:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Loud and clear....10-4

55. cduval04

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 14:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read this thread as you instructed me to nobugs. No more noob mishaps! thanks for being patient...every forum works a tad differently.

56. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 5 2010 22:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks cduval!

Don't worry.

No one expects the spam filter!

57. 123bugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 10:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Nobugs -
    I copied and pasted my post from the thread regarding Thermapure patents/licensing issue and composed a new thread that (I think) I entitled "Thermapure vs Temp-air" and I thought I did it properly but it isn't showing in the forum. Could you check if it is in the spam then? Or if not, if/when to retry?

Thanks so much.

58. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 3 2010 22:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

123bugs - 12 hours ago  » 
    Hi Nobugs -
    I copied and pasted my post from the thread regarding Thermapure patents/licensing issue and composed a new thread that (I think) I entitled "Thermapure vs Temp-air" and I thought I did it properly but it isn't showing in the forum. Could you check if it is in the spam then? Or if not, if/when to retry?

This is one of the few times in years this has come up -- usually it's the spam filter. In this case, I think something else went wrong (perhaps not site related). Please do repost.

59. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Oct 8 2010 11:43:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Update, just added:

The best thing to do is wait, since the system sends me an alert when something is flagged as spam. I will check it as soon as I see the email and am in front of a computer again.

Yes, I now get an email when spam is flagged, which should speed the process up somewhat. Keep in mind, I have to be in front of a computer to fix it, so there will still be some time elapsing in most cases between your post going missing and it being de-spammed, but this should help.

60. limoncello

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 10 2012 4:36:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops, guess my new topic got flagged for spam (submitted it 3 more times before I found this post). Sorry for the bother.

61. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 10 2012 10:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, limoncello! It's been fixed.
    Great name, by the way. Mmmm, limoncello...

62. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 1 2017 11:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I am reviving this thread because most people don't look in the How to Use the Forums thread (in Green Stickies). This happens about once a day and it's worth being aware in case it happens to you.

63. porkins99

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 12:54:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted, and then had to edit it twice, and then a third time to turn on email notifications. Somebody replied to the thread saying "Nothing to see". But my original text is nowhere to be seen. The topic headline is still present, however. Thank you!

64. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 0:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

porkins99 - 11 hours ago  » 
    I posted, and then had to edit it twice, and then a third time to turn on email notifications. Somebody replied to the thread saying "Nothing to see". But my original text is nowhere to be seen. The topic headline is still present, however. Thank you!

Sorry-- that's the spam filter. Your post had been posted four times by the time I got there.

Anyway, it's been restored and it shouldn't happen to you again.

For anyone else, note I do check daily and I get an email when something hrs the spam filter, so no need to post or PM unless you don't see it by the next day.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335