No signs, no bugs, just bites at night

(7 posts)
  1. Squeezeemtight

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 23 2007 20:23:50
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend moved into a new apartment. I stayed there, got bit like crazy on my side a couple of different nights one when i slept on the floor, the other when i slept on an airmattress. He was getting bit on his legs, feet, and ankles. We saw fleas, he got sprayed for fleas. I suspected bed bugs as well. A few days after he was sprayed for fleas, I looked in his mattress and saw a bug crawling at around 2am, but was too afraid to catch it. (I know.that was dumb).When my boyfriend got home to look, it was gone. He's not getting bit anymore, which means the fleas are dead. However, I got bit on my side (about 10 bites) in his bed AGAIN and woke up at 5am with these fresh bites. Now, and for a while, I've been getting bites 2-4 in a row on various body parts at my apartment. NO one seems to think that its bed bugs but me. THey all think Im crazy.(Even my landlord who has had past isolated experiences doesnt) All i know..is whatever was in his place is now biting me at mine. His pco didnt see any "signs" of bed bugs when he sprayed for fleas, and there are no "signes" at my place. Im so irritated with everyone. Someone please tell me that I'm not crazy and that it still could be bed bugs even without signs(blood staines, debris, feces stains,etc)! They won't treat without signs, or bugs...so what am i supposed to do, wait until they multiply and keep on biting me? Even my roomate isnt getting bit. Everything points to bed bugs....is it still remotely possible that it isnt??? WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!?!?!?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 2:14:13
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be fleas, persisting.

But it could also be bed bugs, which are notoriously hard to find.

Could you get a PCO to inspect? They do not always find them, but they might. In time, you should find signs, but it can be hard at first.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Squeezeemtight

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 7:20:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it very well could be, however, if it was fleas, then I would think that my boyfriend would still be getting bit because he seemed to react to their bites. Can fleas also be transferred from one place to another so easily? neither of us has animals. Also, I woke up with fresh bites at 5AM...which fits the bed bug m o perfectly. And, the bites that I get, I find the next day, or wake up with them, and they are on my body...breakfast, lunch, and dinner, AND fourthmeal the bites that I get at my apartment are smaller, could that mean baby bed bugs? To me, everything points to bed bugs.....but according to my roomie and boyfriend...I'm no bug expert...and as they continue to invite their friends over, go over to people's houses without a care in the world, I'm freaking out. We have a PCO coming in 2 days...so that's good. Hopefully the truth is uncovered...cuz Im sick of getting bitten!

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 17:54:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I read recently that if you inspect and see a bug crawling around your mattress, it very well could be a bedbug, especially if you are getting bites when you sleep. "If it quacks like a duck..."

I have had bedbugs for months and had no "signs" for much of that time. It's hard to tell when they're gone, too (the stage I'm hoping I'm in) because I didn't see them when I had them. When I get a tiny blood spot on a t-shirt or an itchy back nowadays, I don't know if it is from old bites or from new bites.

Like you, I felt that the smaller bites I got might be from nymphs. Entomologists told me that bedbug bites are the same size, whether adult or nymphs. But my personal theory (not confirmed by any entomologist) is that the adults, who feed for longer than the nymphs, thus inject more of the saliva that I am allergic to. So the adult bites react more and I scratch more and the bites just seem to get bigger. The nymph bites, with less saliva, react less and itch less, so I scratch them less...and the nymph bites seem to stay small.

5. Bencannon

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 20:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds very strange. Is your boyfriend sure that he saw fleas?

6. Squeezeemtight

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 21:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah...unfortunately...i think youre right, parakeets. I was holding on to that glimmer of hope, but deep down I know that just me trying to search for ANYthing else that it could possibly be when my gut just plain tells me that its bed bugs. It is a very strange situation...because I even saw a flea jump on my arm. The people that lived there previously had outdoor cats, and even though they replaced the carpet before he moved in, the fleas were still there. So, I'm not sure if the bites on my waist from the first few nights sleeping on or close to the floor were from fleas, or bed bugs that were in the apartment already. OR, if they were from fleas, or bed bugs that he brought over from his old (condemed due to fire,half reparied) house that he was storing his furniture and belongings in. I know he had fleas, because like I said I saw one jump on me. And his ankles and legs were chewed up. Mine werent so bad, my bites were just on my waist. But after he was sprayed for fleas, his bites ceased and mine didnt....i was traveling from his apt to mine so i dont know where which bites came from. Lately I have been sleeping at my place and have been noticing bites. And that one night....After the fleas were sprayed for, I was bit on my waist again...so now i dont know if the first bites on my waist were from fleas and the second set were from bed bugs or what. But...the only thing that I can conclude is that he had fleas and he also had/has bed bugs. All I know is as of right now, I'd chance the plague and take fleas over bed bugs anyday. hehehe.

7. Squeezeemtight

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 24 2007 21:17:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I've adopted a plan for going to visit my bf...leave a pair of clothes over there. Arrive at his house, leave shoes outside the door. Strip off my clothes and immediately put them in a plastic bag w/o letting them touch the ground or anything. Hang the bag on his door out side of his apartment. Then, put the "bed bug clothes" on. Take the bag and put it in my car (which is probably infested anyways...but this will prevent more.) Before I leave, take bag out of car and find safe place to put it, maybe outside or something, or hang on doorknob again, shower, put on clean clothes. leave immediately. Does this sound bug-proof to anyone? It sounds a bit crazy to me, but that's been me these days.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.