Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

no evidence- another live one found in bathroom - getting bites

(15 posts)
  1. dana1301

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 15:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to everyone who has posted- I don't know if it's pregnancy hormones or not but I'm going to lose it.

Quick update: found a live one in hallway bathroom sink 3 weeks ago - building's PCO inspected my apartment - no signs . Still not happy, I called a very well respected, well- known ethical inspector - he brought his K9 did a huge visual inspection - nothing found.

The past week or so my husband and I are getting bites ( he sleeps on couch most nights due to work schedule) It is also mosquito season in NYC so something to consider.

THEN BAM! Yesterday- a live one found in another bathroom, opposite end of the apartment.

My building is going to inspect adjoining apartments this week.

All my climb ups are clear, no visuals on sheets, mattress protectors, glue traps all clear.

I feel like I am going to go insane. Between being pregnant and having a small child at home I am truly loosing my mind. Does anyone have any insight

2. dana1301

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 15:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

could the interceptors be failing?? anyone ?

3. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 16:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

What brand of interceptors. I know interceptors do trap bugs but nothing can force a bug to go inside one. Your couch may be infested. Do you have interceptors under the feet of the sofa? It's not clear from this post. It seems you are not being bitten in the bed. I hope not, but if your husband comes into bed with what he was wearing while sleeping on the sofa, he may bring one with him and then the interceptors can't help. I know how you must feel. Stay strong.

4. dana1301

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 16:49:48
    #

Login to Send PM

We have interceptors on the couch, as well. Not sure about that brand- bought off Amazon with decent reviews. I make us change clothes before entering the bed since this started. ..

So bizarre that the K9 and handler doing a visual wouldn't detect activity in the couch...

Next step is to professionally steam treat and seal up any possible entry ways from neighboring units.

Does this sound like a good plan?

5. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 17:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Just so you know I have dealt with bed bugs off and on for over 3 years...We also used traps and never ever found a bug in Them so I honestly feel they dont work.We positively had them and out traos never caught any...Also anytime Ive ever looked for a bug I've NEVER found one.They are super good hiders..If your finding them in your sink and are getting bites now then you HAVE THEM
    ..I'm so sorry your going through this.I would have your apartment treated and all the apartments around you should also be treated..I feel awful for people who live in Apartments and are dealing with bed bugs cause its so hard to get rid of them cause usually they are just passed back and forth.Everyone needs to be getting treated and working together to get rid of the damn bugs...

6. dana1301

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 18:06:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 34 minutes ago  » 
    Just so you know I have dealt with bed bugs off and on for over 3 years...We also used traps and never ever found a bug in Them so I honestly feel they dont work.We positively had them and out traos never caught any...Also anytime Ive ever looked for a bug I've NEVER found one.They are super good hiders..If your finding them in your sink and are getting bites now then you HAVE THEM
    ..I'm so sorry your going through this.I would have your apartment treated and all the apartments around you should also be treated..I feel awful for people who live in Apartments and are dealing with bed bugs cause its so hard to get rid of them cause usually they are just passed back and forth.Everyone needs to be getting treated and working together to get rid of the damn bugs...

If you never caught them in traps , or saw a live bug, did you at least see fecal matter or casings ? I am seeing no evidence and the k9 gave us all clear .. wondering if it's a migratory issue ?!

7. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 13 2017 18:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

No we never seen anything....I still dont see anything but we knew we had them for sure..You also can't always trust a K9...If you seen them in your sink and your now getting bites showing up then you have them sweetie.I'm so sorry.I would have the pest guys spray and then I would also use Cimexa..But if you live in apartments then everyone around you should be treated or you guys will just pass the back back forth.Read the forums and you will see there is a LOT of people that never find anything but have bed bugs.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 11:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 1 day ago  » 
    No we never seen anything....I still dont see anything but we knew we had them for sure.

Proudmommy,
    Didn't I just read another thread from you where you described sitting on the bed and finding a bed bug on your arm?

If so, then saying you never found anything in three years isn't really accurate.

Not finding bed bugs in interceptor traps doesn't mean they don't work, but that trap design is designed to do one thing: catch bed bugs going onto and off the furniture you use them under. Keep in mind this doesn't prevent bed bugs from staying on that furniture and biting, or biting in other places in your home. It also doesn't prevent them hitching a ride on or off the same furniture, or falling off, or climbing on via another route (blanket stretching from bed to floor, etc.)

It's important to get a solid ID. Has anyone *besides the heat treatment company* ID'd a sample for you?

I'd recommend you try to get a close image or actual sample to Lou Sorkin, just to be sure. It's possible you have bat or bird bugs and many PCO techs are not trained to ID them.

I apologise for hijacking the thread in this instance but another user wrote to ask me about this thread and I thought it was important to respond here for that reason.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 12:11:49
    #

Login to Send PM

dana1301: I'm in NYC, so you can drop off any specimens to be IDd. The climb up style interceptors will work without being under the legs of furniture because you are relying on the natural behavior of bed bugs do crawl up vertical surfaces. Monitors along walls also capture crawling bed bugs.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. dana1301

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 12:58:29
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 
    dana1301: I'm in NYC, so you can drop off any specimens to be IDd. The climb up style interceptors will work without being under the legs of furniture because you are relying on the natural behavior of bed bugs do crawl up vertical surfaces. Monitors along walls also capture crawling bed bugs.

Hi Lou-
    Thank you so much for offering to examine the samples. I gave one to my building management and the other to my PCO. I will try to get samples back.

I'm truly at a loss for what is going on . My unit is directly above an indoor parking structure that is filled with birds. Could something have migrated up?

11. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 17:46:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I just seen this or would have replied sooner...Yes I seen one crawling on me but anytime I went to look for them I've never found them.Sorry I should of made it clearer

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Jun 18 2017 0:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 1 day ago  » 
    I just seen this or would have replied sooner...Yes I seen one crawling on me but anytime I went to look for them I've never found them.Sorry I should of made it clearer

If you've found insects on you but have looked carefully and have never found a harborage or fecal stains in three years of bites, I would strongly urge you to get a sample bug to Lou for an ID. It's possible to have bird or bat bugs (which could be a recurrent problem) and they don't always have the same signs as bed bugs in the home.

PCO techs often aren't trained to ID bat or bird bugs which are close relatives of bed bugs, so the people doing your heat treatment might possibly have wrongly ID'd a sample. (I assume they saw visual evidence before performing three heat treatments?)

Another explanation sounds a lot more likely than bed bugs, since bed bugs will leave fecal stains and an inspector will be able to find them-- in a lot less than three years.

Again, I apologize for hijacking the thread but I think it's important to address the issues here-- if you had bed bugs for three years, there would be visual signs that someone who knows how to search would find. Without those, further investigation is needed to see if it's a different problem.

13. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jun 28 2017 3:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

OK thank you so much.The pest control guy took the bug with him.It was the only one we had found.Praying I dont see another.We do have a crawl space above our house.I had a pic of it.Let me see if I can find the pic again and I will post it.Are you able to see all my post that I have left?I posted a pic of the bug I'm one of my first few post..

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 21:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommy,
    You can see your old posts by clicking your status ("newbite") under your username in any post (there'

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 29 2017 21:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommy,
    You can see your old posts by clicking your status ("newbite") under your username in any post (there's also a link to "View your profile" in the sidebar after you log in).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,798 posts in 42,219 topics over 127 months by 18,529 of 19,024 members. Latest: Graham35, katieny, teemo87