Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

No choice but to DIY, any experienced PCOs willing to help!?

(29 posts)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 2:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I made a thread recently about my situation and how I'm being forced to DIY(nobugs, you can close that thread if you want). Bottom line, no good PCOs in my area, pathetic treatment from one of them, need to take matters into my own hands before it gets out of control. I outlined a plan in that thread that I will share here but I need and would greatly appreciate guidance and advice on specifics.

So of there are any experienced PCOs out there, especially any who have experience with chemicals, that are willing to guide me a bit, I would greatly appreciate it!

So here's my plan so far:
    1) Buy a few different chemicals and treat every two weeks on base boards, under the edge of the carpets, and cracks and crevices for a few months, alternating between different chemicals. Temprid SC being one and another non pyrethroid chemical being the other. All mixed with Gentrol as well. Might throw in a different chemical as well making it 3. Considering using cirkil as the last one but not sure about the smell.

2) After treating for a few months, put a fine layer of Cimexa in all appropriate places and monitor the situation.

3) Replace all infested, encased beds with aero beds or new mattresses which would be encased before coming in the house.

4) Pull out essential items that the pco had us bag that could still possibly be infested and bring back into the area being treated. Double bag and seal all other items not to be thrown out in contractor bags that are expected to be infested and treat in a packtite at a later time in a place that will not risk further infesting the house (haven't quite figured that out yet).

5) Get rid of the infested vehicle (it's falling apart anyways) and replace it, taking every precaution to not infest the new one.

6) Keep clothing in weathertight totes and utilize the dryer before leaving the house.

7) Wash and dry bedding 2 to 3 times a week.

The main thing I need advice and guidance on is the chemical treatment part. Like which chemicals (I have an idea of what I want to use), how to properly administer the chemicals using a sprayer, how often to treat and how to alternate the chemicals properly, when and where I can/can't use Cimexa in relation to the chemicals and things along those lines.

I know DIY is not ideal or suggested but i dont have a choice. I just don't want to make mistakes that will hurt the treatments effectiveness. Thanks!

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 10:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

From the studies I've seen I would recommend Transport GHP over Temprid SC. But it can leave some staining (white, I think). And definitely follow up with the Cimexa.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 10:52:33
    #

Login to Send PM

You may want to read up on Cirkil. I've had a few treatments using it and all were positive results after two treatments. But it does have a smell.

What whispers the whisker?
  4. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:46:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there an online consulation service where you could pay someone to review your plan? It's great that the pros help out here, but they have to make a living, too, and should be compensated for their expertise. It's one thing to DIY and ask for help when questions come up, but you're asking someone to help you develop a whole treatment plan for free.

Account closed
  5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Please stop posting in every thread, you're not helping matters.
    Got a question, start a new thread. Adding confusion to other users threads is getting annoying.

6. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 13:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a forum and I'm commenting on people's questions. I read the rules and there are no rules against that. You post a lot, too. Are you a PCO?

7. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:10:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Is there an online consulation service where you could pay someone to review your plan? It's great that the pros help out here, but they have to make a living, too, and should be compensated for their expertise. It's one thing to DIY and ask for help when questions come up, but you're asking someone to help you develop a whole treatment plan for free.

I absolutely get where you're coming from. If there was a competent PCO in my area that I could trust to address this issue beside my DIY, I would pay him in a heartbeat. I just don't have that luxury unbelievably. I'm not asking to be trained for free, I just have a family and don't want to make mistakes that may harm or effect the treatment. If there was a consultation service I'd consider using it. I just know mistakes with these things can be devistating in the long run. Ive put in the research and I'm sure I will do more if I get no guidance. I just hate this whole situation, I wish I didn't have to DIY, I really do, but I do, and just want to give my family the best chance at long term relief.

8. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:25:19
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 3 hours ago  » 
    From the studies I've seen I would recommend Transport GHP over Temprid SC. But it can leave some staining (white, I think). And definitely follow up with the Cimexa.

Thanks for the advice, first time I've heard of that stuff and I already like what I've read. Especially since a lot of the bed bugs in MI are resistant to pyrethroid and other chemicals. Apparently Transport GHP works very well with chemical resistant bugs.

Now the main thing I want advice on is alternating chemicals and the use of cimexa. If I want to alternate chemicals every two weeks for a couple months, would I be hurting their effectiveness if they have a residual that lasts 90 days. I'd be spraying one residual over another that is still in effect. Isn't that a problem? Also not sure when I'd be utilizing cimexa. I was thinking the best time to lay that down would be a couple weeks after my last treatment. But again, if the residual is still in effect, would putting cimexa over it hurt one or the others effectiveness? Those I my main concerns right there, I can do the research on chemicals and figure out what I want to use. I just want advice on how to properly apply them!

9. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:31:08
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski, I completely understand. I'm doing DIY, too, and wish I didn't have to. What helps me cope is understanding the enemy... learning everything I can about bed bugs, their behavior, why they do what they do, how they do it, their short comings, and most importantly what kills them and how. Knowledge is power.

I didn't meant to hijack your thread and I hope you will get the answers you are looking for from the PCOs. Also, I wonder if your state health department or some universities will give free consultations and help you develop a plan? (I'm going to check my state now, too!)

10. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 14:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    You may want to read up on Cirkil. I've had a few treatments using it and all were positive results after two treatments. But it does have a smell.

I have read a little bit on it and am impressed with how effective it seems to be, especially for a being green or natural treatment. I'm just worried about the smell considering I'd be treating the whole house. I may just use the chemicals this time and if I have problems with that poach due to resistance, than maybe I'll use the cirkil as my last resort treatment.

11. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 16:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and if you're going to alternate, I would consider Crossfire along with the Transport GHP; of course with the follow up of the Cimexa. Just what I would do.

12. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 17:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Any advice on a contact killer that doesn't leave a residue? Something I can use before I start treatment using the residues.

13. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

So I'm thinking at first, I'll use a contact killer in all cracks and crevices, all remaining furniture (barely have any now), and anywhere they could be hiding. I'll then treat using my first residual which will probably now be transport ghp. After two weeks I will treat again, probably using Phantom, then alternate back to transport ghp two weeks later, and then back to phantom again. After this I will inspect every few days and see how it looks. After two weeks from my last treatment I will apply cimexa in all appropriate spots and continue to monitor (should I wait two weeks to apply the cimexa)?

14. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I think Sterifab is supposed to be a good one that doesn't leave a residue, I didn't use it.

15. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 18:57:10
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I think Sterifab is supposed to be a good one that doesn't leave a residue, I didn't use it.

Ya, on second thought I don't think I'll use any either, don't want to repel them further into the walls or cracks and crevices. I'll probably buy a bottle to keep on hand if I find any eggs or bugs but I'll just start off with the residual.

16. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think you have to wait 2 weeks to apply the Cimexa. The other chemicals just have to be dry

17. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 19:12:59
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 1 minute ago  » 
    I don't think you have to wait 2 weeks to apply the Cimexa. The other chemicals just have to be dry

Makes sense, one thing that I was worried about applying it too early is it sucking up the residue since it's a silica gel but if the residue is dry, it shouldn't.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 11 2017 20:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Are you open to a less chemically laden option and one that is invariably faster?

I ask because while you ask for advice and options from experienced people you already seem to be determined what you want to do.

Let me know if you are open to other options and if you would be willing to send me some images of the level of the issue so I can work out what protocols will give the fastest success rate.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  19. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 0:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Are you open to a less chemically laden option and one that is invariably faster?
    I ask because while you ask for advice and options from experienced people you already seem to be determined what you want to do.
    Let me know if you are open to other options and if you would be willing to send me some images of the level of the issue so I can work out what protocols will give the fastest success rate.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thanks for taking the time to reply David.

I would prefer to use a less chemical laden approach and like the techniques you use as I've pointed out in previous threads, but I'm not sure if thats my best option cause one, the house I live in is old(rent was cheap) and has so many cracks and crevices, it's ridiculous. My girls bedroom has old style paneling that is warped, has a few fist size holes in it, and so many smaller holes, cracks and broken paneling that I would have to literally tear the room apart and drywall it. Since I'm renting, that's not really a option cause the landlord doesn't want me to do so, I've already tried discussing it with him and he just laughs and says that I'm freaking out over nothing and to just let the pros handle it, well the pro he hired was a joke and he won't hire anyone else, which really doesn't matter considering the lack of pcos in my area.

My room, where the main infestation is, has square tiles on the ceiling leaving cracks and crevices everywhere there. The carpet was literally dropped over the old style wood strip flooring that leaves so many cracks under the carpet and along the edges. The baseboards are 1" x 8" boards that don't go all the way to the floor and leave like a 1/2 inch to an inch of clearence under them which allows room for them to get into the wall. I've found fecal stains on the wall next to the window trim 3/4 of the way up the wall, on the baseboards and door trim. There was also wallpaper over the drywall at one time and some of it is peeling in corners and areas leaving ideal places for them. I've found nests of casings and eggs in several spots under these spots and in a few cracks and crevices.

We don't have much furniture and I still have the mattresses which were infested, they are just encased. I like the steam approach, but there's no way I'd be able to get to them in my girls room with all the holes in that paneling. Idk, I feel like luring them out and across chemicals is my best approach. Maybe not, idk. I just need to come up with a plan and stick to it. I know they are close to becoming a major problem if they haven't already.

20. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 1:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd definitely still appreciate any advice you could give me and would be willing to send you images of what I'm dealing with(I'm currently at work).

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jan 12 2017 13:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK best thing is step by step.

1 Read the content linked below and watch the video.

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/schrodingersbedbug

I will then explain what I need to see in terms of what you are working with via pictures and we may end up having a conversation on skype or on the phone.

I just need to make sure we have some key points of reference in place first to not only save you from suffering for long but also to get things done efficiently. I will also ask you to follow the documentation path I am used to for some aspects as I am used to analyzing data in a certain fixed format.

Hope that makes sense.

David

David

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 7:49:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry, I am withdrawing the above offer.

Good luck with your issues.

David

23. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Jan 17 2017 13:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 5 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Sorry, I am withdrawing the above offer.
    Good luck with your issues.
    David

David, I greatly appreciate you making the offer in the first place. That fact you'd take the time to help me in this situation is astounding. I just hope u understand why I'm going the route I am going.

My infestation isnt small as I've found evidence in some of our personal belongings such as books and toys. Also, the rental I'm in is very old and has cracks, crevices, and holes everywhere and I've found evidence in spots you wouldnt think they would bother going to such as 10 feet away from the bed, 3/4 of the way up the wall in a crack (small shed skin). I'm also about 90% percent sure at least one of our vehicles is infested as we've found a actual bug crawling on one of our girls when we were going down the road. So either getting rid of it or using vikane is the best option for it. Add in the fact the longer I have this problem, the greater the chance my extended family is going to get infected. My girls have to see their papa and their other parent on the weekends and while I try and take precautions so they don't leave with any hitchhikers, that possibility is there.

If I was in a better situation I would undoubtedly love to take you up on your offer and I know I asked for pco advice and you offered, but again, understand that the stress and anxiety I am suffering from is causing my mind to go a thousand different ways and as soon as I got a call back on the vikane treatment and knew it was possible... I instantly could see an end to all this and in my situation, I believe it's the best route.

Again, I greatly appreciate your offer and I don't want you thinking I was ungrateful and ignoring you, I just didn't want to give you an answer to your offer and then decide I should have gone the other route. I hope you understand and I thank you for taking time out of your busy day to help.

24. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 20:38:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane is an option this time of year? The temps have to be above 41 degrees F all day long.

25. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 21:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Vikane is an option this time of year? The temps have to be above 41 degrees F all day long.

I'd be having a moving truck vikaned, and the company I would have do it has temperature controlled buildings they use where it would be done.

26. FayeState

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 21:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Will they pick up your stuff and then deliver it? When are you going to do it?

27. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 22:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Then have Cimexa all around for when stuff comes back?

28. mp7ski

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 23:34:27
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Then have Cimexa all around for when stuff comes back?

I'd be moving, it's not something that's going to happen say in the next couple weeks, I've yet to even look for a new place, where I would take some preventative measures like cimexa. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. My landlord will let me out of the lease early if it comes to that. I've talked to the company and it may very well be when it warms up but I'm just looking towards the future. In the mean time i will have to treat my current situation to keep it from getting out of control. Not proud of the route I plan on taking, but at the end of the day, my family comes first, and Vikane in a moving truck I believe to be my best shot at not living with them the rest of my life aside without throwing out everything I own and starting fresh, wish is near impossible with a family of 4.

29. FayeState

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Jan 18 2017 23:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck with your plan.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,672 posts in 41,791 topics over 127 months by 18,329 of 18,798 members. Latest: jc12345, san16969, ritam23