Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

New toy arrived - caution contains magnified bedbug images

(9 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 8:26:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I managed to get 5 minutes this morning to play with my new toy, an adapter to connect my camera with the microscope in my office.

Following a post about cast skins and in particular their structural integrity I wanted to capture some of the detail to explain why they are tougher than people assume they will be.

The images below show the same sample under 4X and 10X magnification. You can clearly see that what should be a fragile item such as the stylet cover is in fact completely intact. The bedbug has literally reversed itself out of the cast skin and left and outer shell. Often you can still see the contents of the lower gut tract with the skins as well.

castskinhead4X

castskinhead10X

I will be using this a little more in the next few months to show you all some of the finer detail of the bedbug world. For those technical buffs out there its a Radical Pathological microscope with an eye piece adapter for a Canon EOS 5D MkII (not a DIY set up but boys and their toys) the sample was fixed in Triton X-100 via a ring mount.

With more time I will create a series using stacker so that all the details of the image are in focus at the same time.

If there are any image requests out there please let me know below and I will add them to the list as soon as I can.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 10:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice toy...

This may be odd, but I'd like to see an actual size and then the next microscopic. Does that make sense?

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 11:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it does, what I am currently lacking is a graduated scale which allows you to work out the size and thus compare. For your ultimate needs you may have to wait until I get my hands on a 50mm camera lens as well as they give the most accurate human scale to images.

The trouble is that this photography side line can be expensive and I am always loathed to put prices up.

David

4. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 12:51:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank You for this David. I like to see the "up close and personal" type photos. I would like to see some close-up pics of the nymphs at different ages. I have looked online, but the pics are so small and then get blurry when zoomed up.

I look forward to more pics. Have fun with your new toy!! Very nice!!

S

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 18:31:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Cool! Looking forward to more.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 4 2013 19:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

My photography habit is expensive, too. Thanks for sharing!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 5 2013 6:36:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi TAOT,

Yes but sadly non of your telephoto lens will do me any good in my macro world.

On the subject of telephoto I am not sure if you have seen our latest SETP (search for extraterrestrial paping) project image. Franco is convinced that you have moved to the dark side of the moon though. I personally am still trying to come to terms with the fact that the moon is not banana flavoured.

IMG_2814

David

8. needrest

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 5 2013 10:30:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Everyone knows the moon tastes like Extra Sharp Cheddar.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 5 2013 10:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I had been getting quite a nice paycheck for papping internationally (I don't do it in the US of course).

I may have to move to the dark side of the moon: Italy now has me on its most wanted list.

You like to make small things big and clear. I like to make things that are VERY far away look closer. You say tomato and I say tomatoe.

This makes no sense to newbites (and probably not any to oldtimers either). However, I hope Mr. Cain will understand the meaning after all of our hours spent together (or within the 100 yard restraining order requirements).

P.S. Hint as much as you want, but I'm not your moon pie supplier. I will use small amounts to lure you, but I refuse to enable this addiction. Abs is the enabler.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,480 posts in 43,023 topics over 129 months by 18,880 of 19,439 members. Latest: summabitches, WhatAreThese, Freakedout101