Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

New, single bite

(4 posts)
  1. ashp

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 8:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a previous infestation of bed bugs in 2014. I definitely had a ton of bites then. My husband did not have that many.

My husband has had red marks on and off forever, but he also has terrible skin, and we've never seen any sort of bug in that time.

I was away at a retreat for my job a few weeks ago, and was super careful not to put my bag on the floor or the bed (although it was on a chair). I just unpacked the bag yesterday to do laundry, and this morning, woke up with what appears to be a single bug bite on my breast. Husband is now convinced that we've had an infestation for months, although we haven't seen any evidence to this.

Obviously, I need an expert to come in and look around, but if anyone can tell me:

a) what are the chances I was bit by a bed bug that I carried home and stayed in my bag for five weeks, and found its way to me last night? (All of my clothes are at the laundromat).
    b) is it likely that it's a single bug, or would more than one have gotten into my bag
    c) if it is a single bug, what is the likelihood that my apartment is infested now?
    d) We are supposed to go on vacation tomorrow, and our cat sitter is supposed to come over. Should I put a stop to this immediately?

2. ashp

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 10:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: landlord brought in an inspector, who didn't find anything. He sprayed our bedframe anyway (and the suspect bag that I brought on my trip). I guess I'm wondering now if it really was a single bug who is hiding out somewhere that the professional couldn't find, even?

3. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 11:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm no pro, but from what I gather, if said single bug happened to be a pregnant female, she could have laid a few eggs... and 5 weeks seems a likely time frame for eggs to hatch and go through a few instar stages, which would bring them closer to sexual maturity, and thus you have more than 1 big. And if it's just various instar stage bugs biting, I'd suspect the bites would be less noticible as they need less per feeding to be full.

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the pros.

Good luck to all, and please research anything you are thinking about possibly doing prior to doing it- SAFETY FIRST!
  4. ashp

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 11:09:14
    #

Login to Send PM

But if the bag sealed until last night, I'm not sure how that would work.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335