Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

New, Scared And Welted!

(13 posts)
  1. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 18:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found out yesterday it was BB's eating me alive also. The house (very old victorian) is being re-roofed wood walls replaced and so on. I rent the house, is there a possibility that could have something to do with it? I found a dead bug on my carpet this am after discovering what this "leprocy" on my legs and rear were. I have read there are BB's that are bird and bat eaters but will move on to a human host if needed.
    Terminex is coming tomarrow for an estimate and I'm scared to death of the cost but I have welts, Blisters and and panic attacks from all this. I am going to send the bug to MSU Etomology Head guy to determine which kind it is. But could there be a connection with the construction ? I've had the sleeping problem and visual "bites" for about three weeks now but had problems with anemia a few weeks before that. Any ideas, leads or advice?

2. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 22:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so confussed! Every webpage has a different conclussion. I live alone with a dog in a pen outside(i live inside-the dog out. hee). could this hurt her?(see DE post blow) Will this work? I also have a store down stairs. do I need to close shop asap to get this under control? they are in bedroom wich houses over a thousand vintage non-dryable items. over 200 prs of shoes and yes it's covered with vintage fabric. but there are many more details i will include later if needed! I'm in need for som guidence and relief. Very allergic to this bite!! HELP!!!!

Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) can be sprinked under mattresses, along baseboards and on the edges of bookshelves where bed bugs hide. Food-grade DE, although harmless to mammals, including common house pets and humans, is a virtual death sentence for bed bugs.
    DE is a drying agent and is actually used in many dry pet foods to keep the kibble dry and fresh.

The DE particles abrade the bed bug, essentially dehydrating it of water and lipids. Neem oil (mentioned below) can be added to the DE (1 cup DE to 20 drops neem oil) in a plastic bag before sprinking it around. Other essential oils that can be added are juniper oil, eucalyptus oil, ylang ylang oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil. The bed bugs hate the smell of the oils, and for those who don't and pass through, they will eventually be killed by the DE itself. Use 20 drops of each essential oil mentioned for each cup of DE.

3. theprey

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 23:50:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs typically won't bite dogs if a human host (i.e. you) is available. There definitely are bugs that feed on bats and the like, and if bats or birds were displaced by construction, i guess those bugs could be feeding on you. You'll definitely want an expert to ID. is there a PCO in your area that will do it? Since you're so allergic, it might be better if you didn't have to send off a specimen and wait a while for a response.

I have a question about your vintage clothes. Are you saying that you sell or collect them? Do you buy vintage clothes from thrift stores, estate sales, etc.? Used clothes and shoes could be infested with bed bugs.

DE does help the fight against bed bugs, but you want to apply it very, very lightly, maybe with a small paintbrush. And be careful not to inhale it. It's very dangerous for your lungs.

4. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 1:56:05
    #

Login to Send PM

my dog is outside, & even with the pain, i suppose i am glad they are eating me and not her. The Expert is 35 miles away , so i can fed ex it monday(p.o.closed on sat in columbus) & he will get it tues. he wrote a paper on it simple and to the point about bed bugs and e-mailed it to me today(simple but good). I randomly called the school at 12 at he called back at 4!! wow! I also called a pest co. this am and I kept saying bed bug and they replied dust mite with the follow up of"There is nothing to be done, air out your mattress"

5. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 2:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

PS: I'm not forming correct sentinces, and cant think straight because I'm scared to go to bed and don't know where to sleep and what linens are safe. I know other people have hard ships that are truely devistating but im going insane with the bites, welts and fear

6. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 7:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

scared,
    i don't know where you are ,but the pco's there sound like they wouldn't be very much help.anyone who is in the field and is still confusing bb's with dust mites is hopelessly clueless about the bugs.i guess they don't read trade mags over there.it's good to send the sample out because only an entomologist could tell you the difference between a bat and a bed bug(certainly not the pco you spoke with).Once you know which you're dealing with,you can ask the entomologist possibily for a referral to someone who knows a thing or two to take care of the problem.good luck

7. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 7:32:56
    #

Login to Send PM

scared,
    i forgot to mention not to add anything repellant to the de if you use it.you really want them to walk through it not avoid it for it to work.

8. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 14:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I taped my entire bedroom last pm, and no bugs on it this am. I chicked out of sleeping in the bedroom and slept on the couch... No Bite this am!!
    Terminex just left and he opened up my bow spring and found nothing! yipee! He suggested that the one dead one I found was the one bitting me and that was the only one. I fear it could have laid eggs and want to be on the safe side and have the house treated anyway. He said he would treat it and I asked him the meathod he will use and he said it wold be their General Treatment. I asked him if that kills BB'sand he says yes . Do y'all agree with this??

************I have a question about your vintage clothes. Are you saying that you sell or collect them? Do you buy vintage clothes from thrift stores, estate sales, etc.? Used clothes and shoes could be infested with bed bugs.***************
    Answer: yes, i collect and sell... I know I know, that's probably the way they got in.
    BugBasher, thanks that sounds logical about the de
    Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and feedback!!

9. HelpIamgoinginsane

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Mar 21 2009 5:06:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I sleep in my bath tub ,,,join the club. Can I atleast turn into a vampire and live 4 ever geesh!

10. cfockee

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 17:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you don't have bed bugs. If you do, it generally can't be fought with a Pest co only. You need to do many things and I didn't read that you did them. I wouldn't spend time on asking why or where you got them.
    Diatomaceous earth isn't hazardous, it makes you cough according to Holly at Safer Pest Control Project. she's a gem 773-878-7378. Integrated Pest Mgt is the answer.
    good luck.

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 17:14:36
    #

Login to Send PM

cfockee - 6 minutes ago  » 

Diatomaceous earth isn't hazardous, it makes you cough according to Holly at Safer Pest Control Project. she's a gem 773-878-7378. Integrated Pest Mgt is the answer.
    good luck.

Wrong! Look up silicosis. Respiratory issues are common among DE workers. The CDC and NIOSH consider it a respiratory hazard. See the DE hazards tag up top.

It is effective and useful in IPM but it isn't powdered sugar!

Jim

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 23:04:56
    #

Login to Send PM

cfockee - 5 hours ago  » 
    It sounds like you don't have bed bugs. If you do, it generally can't be fought with a Pest co only.

This is not true. A GOOD pest control company will do a better job of getting rid of bed bugs IMHO than an amateur.

Doing your own bed bug treatment requires lots of research, know-how, and hard work.

Diatomaceous earth isn't hazardous, it makes you cough according to Holly at Safer Pest Control Project...

Huh? Diatomaceous earth can be used safely but it can also be hazardous depending on which kind you use, how you apply it, and what precautions you take.

Integrated Pest Management is a fine thing, but it does not mean self-treating instead of getting someone experienced in.

I am not a pest pro, either.

cfockee, 100% of your posts as of now have recommended self treatment (in the case of the other post, suggesting the unsafe methods demonstrated by the Bed Bug Powder video on youtube.)

Self treatment is sometimes a person's only option, but you may not be the best person to be advising on methods.

Furthermore, suggesting people should self treat in addition to or instead of using a PCO is not really a good idea. When people supplement a PCO's work without their approval, they often do something which may clash with the PCO's work. If they self-treat instead of seeking experienced help with their bed bug problems, they may have the problems longer than necessary. Self treatment with the wrong substance can cause bed bugs to spread deeper within your home and to others.

Would you mind telling us your background with bed bugs and their treatment?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. fallacious_8686

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 4:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

My friend claims if you have a dog they will eat the bed bugs and keep them under control....

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982