new round of treatments-remove or keep encasements?(3 posts)
I have a plastic box spring encasement on my bed. I've had it about a week. I took it off for the first treatment and put it on when I got home. Should I leave it on when he comes back? Or take it off and put it on again when he leaves?
Have you contacted the PCO to ask?
PCOs have different philosophies about encasements, so it's hard to say what particular position your PCO would have.
(For what it's worth, I wouldn't want an encasement on my bed (mattress or box spring) if I wasn't clear of bed bugs. Mind you, I had heat treatment, so I didn't have to be bait, but I also have a cat, so my fear was that if I'd had chemical, and I'd put an encasement on the bed, the bugs would get trapped inside it, the residuals would wear off, and three months later, my cat's claws would poke holes in the encasement, and then I'd be reinfested.
I think you can tell from that particular example why it's such a complicated issue that makes it impossible to issue, no pun intended, blanket statements that apply to all situations.)
I cannot remember if you're in a situation in which contacting the PCO isn't an option, so apologies if I've suggested something you cannot do.
But if the PCO has to remove the encasement to treat the box spring, that might mean extra labor on his or her part, and that seems a bad idea.
On the other hand, if your landlord/management company mandated the use of encasements, if you can't get in touch with the PCO directly, I'd leave it on.
Sorry to be so equivocal, but I can't give a "this is the one true way" answer to this one.
I can't contact the PCO directly. I'll ask my manager tomorrow to ask him if I should. We're not required to use them. If he wants it off and it's left on he just won't treat. The manager talked to him when he came yesterday because he's not doing his job; he'll have 5 or 6 apartments to do each time he comes so he won't do any extra work.
It had crossed my mind that my dog might tear it up, but I didn't think about bugs that were trapped getting out. Maybe I'll take it off to make sure I don't have them before I put it on...I'll decide tomorrow; one more day won't hurt.
You must log in to post.