Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

NEW MONITOR AVAILABLE - INDEPENDENTLY TESTED BY RICHARD NAYLOR

(12 posts)
  1. Ombugsman

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 5:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

You may recall a while ago I posted a link to the results of Richard Naylor's tests of PCO/inventor Leon Wieler's modified glue trap. It caught 80% of the bugs in Naylor's test (8:1 versus ClimbUp in test). Now that same inventor has created a passive cardboard monitor which Naylor tested against David Cain's monitor. Here's a quote from Richard:

I ran the BB passive (BB Alert) in a parallel trial to see how it compared to your monitor. Each time I checked the monitor there were between 2 and 4 bugs in there (compared to 20 or so in yours) so the difference was considerable………. It seems to me that your monitor will easily beat anything I have previously tested. As well as being more attractive to bugs, it is considerably easier to check than any other designs based on corrugated card.

I used something similar to Leon's modified glue trap to catch bed bugs when I had my infestation and have corresponded with him since then over the past 3 years on a number of subjects including his new cardboard monitor. He's the real deal. I'll write a bit more on him later but for now here's the link which will provide more detail on his cardboard monitor:

http://www.winnipegbedbugheating.com/collectabed-mini/

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 11:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the great info.

Could you elaborate a little on the difference between Leon's modified glue trap and the newer cardboard monitor in terms of use and efficacy, as well as the differences between the "collectable mini" and the "collectable proper" referred to in the link provided. Also, do you know which one tested successfully against the BB Passive, and a link to the test data if available.

Leon also mentions that these units are for sale and that he is providing free plans for those that want to do it themselves. Do you have a link to where they are being sold and/or how to make them yourself.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 16:48:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ombugsman,

I was able to answer most of my questions by hunting around Leon's web site per the link you provided, but thanks again for the post. Interesting stuff.

Richard

4. Ombugsman

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 9:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Even though you've found the answer to some of those questions, I'll respond to what I know for other readers. If anyone's got other questions, post them here and I'll send an email to Leon to get the answers (much more efficient than everyone sending him emails asking the same thing). BTW I hate ALL CAPS but I figured it was worth it for the title given the potential of this product for both treatment and ongoing prevention/control.

(1) The cardboard monitor he's offering is not intended to trap or kill bed bugs. It works much like David's monitor in that respect. It's a single-faced cardboard and perhaps its nicest feature is the top cover opens like a book cover to check for bed bugs. You could place it between the mattress and box spring (or mattress and frame if no box spring) but also use double-sided tape to attach it to headboard or other locations. The name Collectabed's a bit misleading since you may place the monitor anywhere: couch, recliner, floor, etc.. The complete Collectabed has been his primary focus for a while now. He didn't initially intend to test or sell a cardboard monitor independent of the bed. But during the test of the Collectabed by Naylor, they ended up also testing the cardboard monitor separately.

(2) Leon's got a few versions of the modified glue trap depending on the surface (i.e., carpet vs hardwood vs tile). They are designed to be placed under bed/couch/chair legs. He typically deals with large infestations in low-income housing. His protocol is to heat treat beds/couches/furniture/toys etc in a trailer, isolate those items, and then use chemical pesticides/dust to pick up bugs elsewhere. Over time he found bed bugs were becoming more and more resistant to chemicals and he mentioned Canada has got tighter restrictions on available pesticides than US. So he began to focus on designing more effective glue traps to kill bed bugs that were not in the heat-treated items.

He's had great success using them to where chemicals are often not needed. Having done something similar using glue traps and caught bed bugs, I'd warn people they're very tricky to get right. My recommendation in the US would be if your bed sits on a carpet, isolate bed using mineral oil and place Cimexa on carpet around the bed legs and under the beg. If you've got a tile/wooden floor, I'd either buy carpet tiles or place mineral oil moats on top of CimeXa treated cardboard. One peer-reviewed study found that all bugs died which walked a single time over a 2.5cm wide strip of CimeXa-treated cardboard.

(3) I believe there's a report for the Collectabed test but I don't think there's one for the separate monitor-only test which involved the BB Alert monitor. I think David Cain and Richard Naylor are friends so David may be able to obtain any additional data by contacting Richard directly.

(4) I think the plan is to eventually do a youtube video on the monitor which might include how to make it on your own. I'm not sure what he's planning in the meantime but I'll ask. I think the product's gonna be so inexpensive that almost everybody will just end up buying a bunch of them. Also bed bugs are very finicky - change one thing and results change. I'd rather use the exact cardboard and product he had tested and uses in the field.

(5) A few days ago I sent him a list of US resellers who specialize in bed bugs whom he might want to contact. Until then, I believe he will sell them directly to people although my guess is he'd want you to buy at least 5 of them which makes sense anyway. He's already got a couple of people who make the monitors and he's sold them directly in bulk to a few landlords and PCOs in the Vancouver area. I'm sure the monitors will be reasonably priced. Leon's not doing this for fame or profit (not that there's anything wrong with fame or profit). He's a devout Christian who actually follows the example of Jesus. You'll find a blog post of his on his site where he talks about bed bug scammers. He owns a low-income apartment block and became his own exterminator when his residents had major bed bug problems. He became very intrigued by the challenge of bed bugs and now offers his extermination services to others, typically large infestations.

******************************************************************************

So I will follow-up on direct purchases. But if anyone's got other questions, post them here or PM me and I'll include them in the email if I don't know the answer.

5. barelyliving

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 15:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you use the modified glue trap at the same time you were using Cimexa? Because it seems like they would not work if used at the same time-- properties of Cimexa might counteract the glue traps and vice versa.

I still don't see anywhere to buy the Collect a bed or the mini thing. I guess you're saying that has to wait until he gets them to a retailer?

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 16:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

He discusses concurrent use of Cimexa in this blog post.

7. barelyliving

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 22:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks

8. Ombugsman

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Apr 10 2017 9:59:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you use the modified glue trap at the same time you were using Cimexa? Because it seems like they would not work if used at the same time-- properties of Cimexa might counteract the glue traps and vice versa.

Are you asking about my individual situation when I treated my infestation or are you asking about Leon's approach? From your response to bugged-cdn, it looks like the latter. But if not I'd be happy to describe in detail my use of CimeXa/modified trap 3 years ago and why I would follow a different approach today even though the modified trap caught a lot of bed bugs.

Leon also mentions that these units are for sale and that he is providing free plans for those that want to do it themselves.

I just received an email response from Leon and he said he does plan to create some youtube videos on how to make his cardboard monitor and modified glue traps but he didn't give a timeframe.

I still don't see anywhere to buy the Collect a bed or the mini thing. I guess you're saying that has to wait until he gets them to a retailer?

He mentioned he's just starting to explore distribution alternatives and that marketing and sales is not his forte. I've suggested he start by contacting usbedbugs and bedbugsupply. Richard Naylor's imprimatur plus a youtube video should be all he really needs to do on his end. The real issue would be the pricing. Leon's selling them now for less than $2 USD per monitor in quantity of 100. The final reseller price, presuming S&H were charged separate, would be mostly the profit the reseller tacks on. Leon might not want to use a reseller if they price it too high.

I'll throw out another alternative. In Canada, he's started to sell his monitor through his chemical supplier who is also an exterminator. Maybe a PCO like Jim Danca or BigDummy would be interested in distributing the product here in the US. I know Jim's got somewhat of an infrastructure because he sells his glue trap through his website. The issue then would be making people aware of the product. Richard Naylor is a very respected figure in the field; David Cain has cited his work a few times on bedbugger.com. In fact, Richard used to post on this site many years ago. If the reseller were willing to give NoBugs more than those other sites for each unit sold to help maintain bedbugger.com, perhaps she'd be willing to help out in terms of advertising. If any PCO is interested, I'd suggest contacting Leon through his website.

****************************************************************************************************************************
    Just one other thing which I never hear discussed when using monitors. Someone notices marks on skin, fears it might be bed bugs. They set-up Leon's or David's monitor and manage to catch what looks like a bed bug. The next step is to positively ID it, preferably through an independent website. Next........victims should hold on to that bed bug(s). If they're planning to hire a PCO who uses chemicals, they'll want to know in advance if chemicals the PCO proposes to use will work or if bugs in their residence have built-up any resistance. Before they hire a PCO, they should consider requesting the PCO place a bit of their chemical pesticide into some container per the label rate. The bed bug victim should then put the bug in the container - if it's not dead in a couple of days, .......

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Apr 11 2017 6:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

TBDR:

The BB Alert Passive stock has not been available for about two years now and there have been minor design changes to the PackTite manufactured product so any testing that claims to be recent and claims to have used the original brand is not testing like for like in terms of current versions nor following the manufacturers guidelines in terms of product life.

Its sad really because this sort of investment in time could be put to so much better use and the time distraction it takes is hardly fair on those who need help in a way that we can provide.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 7:30:58
    #

Login to Send PM

knowledge is power

11. barelyliving

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 9:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd love to hear detail of your use of Cimexa and a modified glue trap and details of what you would do different if it isn't already on the site somewhere. Should it be a different thread?

12. idealist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 16:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Where can you buy the collectabed?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,386 posts in 40,546 topics over 123 months by 17,741 of 18,101 members. Latest: hopeful77, omgwhut, jadew077