New here - Will you check my plan?

(54 posts)
  1. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 3:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

So I posted before that I found one bed bug over the summer, but no signs anywhere. I haven't had any signs since, other than occasional bites. The bites became more frequent in the last couple weeks. Found another bug 2 days ago.

This is war.

If anyone would be so kind as to confirm that my bases seem covered, I would be extremely grateful.

1) I have the washer and dryer going. If it's remotely near the concept of cloth, it's going through both on hot.

2) I sleep on a couch. It has a pull-out bed, but that's less comfortable. They're probably loving this. I have a guy coming around 8am today (Friday Oct 7) to remove it. He basically wraps it in industrial saran wrap and then disposes of it, so no one else will even have the opportunity to think "free couch!".

Once this couch is gone, I can better assess the level of infestation of the rest of my room. My parents' room shares a wall with my room, but my couch is not on that wall. They have not noticed anything, yet, when changing sheets, flipping the mattress, etc. It appears to still be isolated to my room.

I'm not keeping the couch (SO hard to treat/salvage, plus I was going to get rid of it anyway), so I'm not going to open it up to see what it's like in there. I don't want to disturb any nests and make any of the bugs think they have to find a new hiding place. Once the guy comes with the plastic wrap, he will wrap it in my room, take it outside, and we will open it there (still on the plastic, though!) to assess the problem. (Also, my mom wants to salvage a quilt wrapped in it.) The mover has had bed bugs before, so he knows how to be careful. Also, that means he was the only one willing to do the job, because he understood.

3) I am also removing a large dresser. My mom wants to keep it, so it's getting wrapped like the couch and moved to somewhere else (like the garage or storage). The couch and the dresser are the only furniture in my room that I cannot move myself. The rest may be difficult to move, but I can do it. My concern with moving furniture is to treat behind/in/around it effectively.

4) I am bagging most clutter/stuff to either toss or sort later. I'm using this as an opportunity to reorganize my life. I'm a busy college student, so it kind of built up. I'm not one of the people that's convinced I have to get rid of everything. I'm just really, really assessing whether or not I need all this crap.

5) Did I mention that I was a poor college student? I spoke with the highest rated bed bug exterminator in the area, and he recommended EcoRaider. He said it's what he uses for clients that request non-toxic treatments. He also uses CimiShield along with the EcoRaider, but I am not going to use that (see below). This exterminator was SO pleasant and nice to talk to me for like 30 minutes about my situation and give advice, for someone that wasn't even giving him money. He's definite the guy I'm going to call if I end up having to get a pro to treat.

6) I have chosen EcoRaider an Cimexa. Between what I've read on here, reviews on numerous sites, safety data sheets, any studies I could find, etc etc etc, I believe those two will be my best bet for my current situation:

Poor college student, living with parents, dad is an old hippy, his house - his rules. To him, all "chemical warfare" in the quest to rid pests is unnecessary and will give everyone cancer. He used Borax for the ants, which worked (after a few months...), but the fleas (we have cats) have been around for a couple years now. It appears both EcoRaider and Cimexa are supposed to work on fleas, so I used that to help convince my dad that not only will these not kill us all, but they may be even more beneficial.

7) No more cardboard. Ever. Caulking cracks in wall, trim, windows, etc, AFTER Cimexa.

8 ) I have a new bed being delivered today, as I will need something after removing this couch. It's just a twin size 8" memory foam mattress. I got the Sleep Defense System - Waterproof / Bed Bug Proof Mattress Encasement.

I'm keeping my pillow, as it was $40. I got the Hospitology Sleep Defense System Waterproof / Dust Mite Proof Pillow Encasement.

I ordered a platform bed frame that is metal and 14" tall. No box spring for me, thanks. Not sleeping on wood ever again, probably. I also got interceptors for the legs.

None of these have arrived yet, but once they do, my plan is:

Encase mattress. Spray pillow with EcoRaider, then encase. Treat room before putting bed in it. Put bed in middle-ish of room with interceptors under the legs. Spray whole shebang with EcoRaider. Spray EcoRaider every 2 weeks. Check Cimexa areas about as frequently to gauge if reapplication is necessary anywhere.

9) Cimexa everything that I can. This means pretty much anything and anywhere that won't be disturbed in my room, and cracks/crevices/etc of the rest of the house.

However, first I will EcoRaider everything that I can. This includes anywhere I won't be able to Cimexa, anywhere that is a known favorite hiding place, and all of my stuff that I plan to keep. I mean ALL of it. Except maybe the electronics. Those get cranky when wet.

I know I can't use either product on electronics, but I also know that I will be using both products everywhere around the electronics, so the bugs should have a fun time getting to anything else, if they were taking refuge in an electronic.

10) While the first "suspicious bites" I had were in June 2015, I don't think I have the extensive infestation that I would expect after having them for over a year. Only two bugs sighted, first bug sighted ~1 year after first "suspicious bites", number of bites in past couple weeks reflects what I've read from early/mild infestations, no other rooms seem to be affected (with another bedroom sharing a wall and 2 people sleeping in it), and when I checked my couch/bed when I saw the first bug, I found no indications of them (June 2016).

Please do correct me if you feel I must be hallucinating, because I would have expected worse even if I only became infested when I saw the first bug. I don't know what about my situation has kept them from having a free-for-all on the entire house by now, but I'm not complaining. (Side thought: one study I read...somewhere?...showed that caffeinated blood negatively affects bed bugs, and I have a pretty epic caffeine addiction because of school, so maybe that's a thing?)

11) In case I forgot to mention, I'll be using EcoRaider and Cimexa on the whole house, starting with the other side of the walls that surround my room, and the ceiling area of the basement under my room. I don't want them panicking in my room and heading elsewhere, so I'll be treating around my room before in my room. My strategy is to set up a barrier first, so if they decide to flee, they'll die anyway.

12) My cleaning/bagging is also going from out to in. I've started on stuff that is across the room from my couch/bed, and I will be working my way toward it. I haven't seen any evidence across the room as of yet, and again, I would rather not disturb any nests before I can just kill them. I figure that even if I do find a nest elsewhere in the room, at least I'll have minimized clutter as best I could, instead of just having them all scatter into all my things, and infesting everything that was not previously infested.

--------------------

I've just begun, but that's my current plan of attack so far. I have to go change loads in the washer/dryer. PLEASE ask me any questions or offer any advice. If you want to confirm I'm doing a thing a certain way, have checked that something is true, etc, just ask. If you think something I'm doing is nuts, please elaborate. If I've completely missed something, let me know! I'm doing this around school, and it's 2:30am where I am, and I've been up for like 20 hours, and I'm going to be up for like 20 more, so I may have forgotten to mention or clarify something.

If you've made it this far, you are a wonderful saint, and I thank you kindly.

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 4:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi yes it is a long post.
    Sounds like it is a minor infestation if it is contained in your room. Treating the whole house is a big job and may be unnecessary. At least get a PCO in to do an inspection.

If you decide you must self-treat, start by reading the steam FAQ:
    http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/pest-control/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

Read about Cimexa dust in this FAQ: http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/diatomaceous-earth-de/

You'd also want to use a residual pesticide and I can't advise on that but if you approach a PCO who posts here, they may answer your questions.

Truly, it really is a hard thing to learn to do pest control for bed bugs overnight, so try to get a pro if at all possible.

Finally, to keep vacuums bug-free, use the panty hose trick described here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/vacuum-socks-for-dummies

3. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 5:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

As I do not know the level of infestation, I feel much better treating the whole house. I will definitely not be doing the level of treatment to the rest of the house that I'll be doing to my room, but there will be precautions taken to ensure they do not just move somewhere else. I will be using the Cimexa and EcoRaider around the house, but I will not be washing every piece of cloth in the house, etc. Really I just want to ensure they die if they choose to leave my room. I do not believe they are anywhere else, so I won't be taking the more extensive measures as I am in my room.

The last thing I want is to spread them. My brother in law has cancer, so my sister's kids stay here frequently while he has treatments. The last thing they need is to take bugs home. We've been lucky this far, and that luck is not something I am willing to push.

I have read the steam FAQ, and I would LOVE to steam, but I do not have the money for a steamer. I already spent so much of the little I have, and no one else can help. While my parents don't "blame" me or whatever (they understand bugs happen to anyone), when I told my mom, her only response was "well then fix it". Understanding, but not very helpful since the problem is currently considered "mine".

The FAQ about DE - I read that already. But THANK YOU for the suggestion! I am looking for all information about the bugs and the products that exist (even if I'm not using the product). My ultimate goal for my post is exactly to ensure that I have read what I really need to read. You suggesting that article is exactly what I want.

I do not know what you mean by "residual pesticide". Cimexa (undisturbed) will last 10 years. EcoRaider will last 14 days. I plan to use the EcoRaider every 14 days, and at the same time, check the Cimexa to see if reapplication is necessary. One of the reasons I chose Cimexa over the recommended-by-exterminator CimiShield is because the Cimexa will last 10 years, while the CimiShield only lasts 1 year. (There are other reasons, but that was a big one.) If this is not what you mean by "residual pesticide", then I am definitely not understanding. If you would clarify, I would be very grateful!

I have been researching this for about 4 months, since I saw the first bug. I am by no means anywhere near the knowledge level of those on this forum, but I feel that I have learned more than "overnight". If anything I said indicates that I seem like a super-rookie, please let me know. I want to know all the things. Also, I did consult an exterminator - the best in the area for bed bugs. He told me the products he uses and his procedure (regarding what he would do and what I would do). He straight up told me that the main difference between the two of us is that he already knows all this, and I have to learn it. I would still definitely prefer him to come do it, so I know that it's done right, but I do not have the $1000 for him to come. My income is whatever FAFSA money I have left after tuition/fees (and this is only twice per year) and about $600 per month as a TA.

I have NOT read the panty hose vacuum thread! Thank you so much!

For clarification: if anything I said seemed argumentative or snarky, it was not. Text does not always give true meaning to what is being said. I am simply attempting to make sure that I have the bases covered that you mentioned. If you deem that I do not, then please let me know. If what I said is sufficient for what you suggested, then yay!

And THANK YOU SO MUCH for such a fast reply with so many suggestions!

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 5:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I am no expert either and I think you are doing a great job with the research before starting treatment as a lot of people panic and start tossing stuff out and contaminating other areas.
    Yes residual is the cimexa and other insecticides that remain after treatment and remain active for a given period of time.
    You seem to have it all covered. I hope that there are no animals living in your room that would have spread bedbugs elsewhere in the dwelling. If there are then wash all their bedding and check the areas where they mainly live.
    How do you think you got them? If you are leaving the house regularly then you need to treat your purse, study bag etc to ensure that these stay uncontaminated.
    If you are not trusting the whole house in one go then perhaps vaccum the area immediately outside your room and apply the cimexa or the eco spray there so that a barrier is created in case the bedbugs try to flee outside your room when you treat it.
    I am assuming that where you live is a single dwelling with no attached properties.
    Hope you don't exhaust yourself too much, self treating for bedbug is a very physically demanding process

5. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 6:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your words of encouragement! When I found the second bug, I cried for a while, and then got about 4 hours of very bad sleep. I'm staying up tonight, because I just can't do it anymore with these bites. I seriously have zero time for a social life. I commute to school, work, class, commute home, homework. I even forget to eat some days, and mostly live on one hotdog and/or a PB&J most days. I'm already super stressed from school, and this was the massive icing on the cake.

My bites have ranged from the (very rare) mosquito-bite-like (whether one or many), to the (much more common) "swollen, hot, painful, and about 4 inches in diameter". I've been convinced that the latter are actually spider bites from some spider I'm apparently allergic to, but I have no clue. The mosquito-bite ones last a couple days. The spider bite ones last like 2 weeks and leave a scar, even if I don't scratch it. I've been getting all of these with varying frequency since about June 2015, so the little time I have to sleep hasn't been restful sleep in over a year. I'm at my wit's end.

The 3 cats have been banished to the basement for about a year now, due to the fleas. I don't want to spread the bed bugs down there, but the cats have definitely not spread them. I'll be treating the areas they to go, though, because of the fleas. Both products state they work on fleas, so I'll be putting them to the test!

I'm actually the only person to ever come in my room, and with my schedule, I don't spend any time in the rest of the house, except maybe 2 hours a week. When I get home, I come to my room to do homework. When I leave, I just leave.

Oh! I did forget to mention that I will EcoRaider/Cimexa my car according to whether the area will be disturbed. With the purse/bookbag, there's always the chance I spread them to my car. And yes, the bookbag and purse will be spending some time in the washer and dryer in one of these loads.

I'm actually not planning on doing hanging clothes or clothes in the dresser as of yet. I want to see how bad it looks in my couch/bed before I attack those places. If it truly is just a minor infestation, then I'll probably just treat the areas with EcoRaider/Cimexa and let the bugs come out to die in their own time. That's actually the advice the exterminator gave me, and with a mild infestation, I agree with it. (Of course, if there's like 92852956293875293 bugs in my couch/bed, it's going down.)

Yes, the barrier around my room will be my first step. I do not want to spread the bugs, so I will be treating my room after I make a barrier. Also, it is a single family home. SO MUCH better of a situation than an apartment building (except without the landlord to pay for an exterminator, but with the horror stories about landlords/apartments, I'll stick to being happy it's a house).

I have no clue how I got them.

If I got them back when I first started getting bit, then maybe a restaurant or school. My brother (who lives in one of the big cities of the US, about 2 hours from here) got bed bugs in an old apartment, but he moved. He had issues with the landlord not treating at all, and actually had to sue. He basically took a few things he could treat and bailed on the rest of his stuff. He has not had a problem in his new place, and he knows what to look for from his experience. When he had them, it was around 2-3 years, I believe. Either way, it was at least a year before I started getting bit. If he had brought them, then they chilled for a LONG TIME before getting out for dinner. Also, I'm still the only one who goes in my room. He always left his luggage in my parents' room and slept on the couch in the living room, so it'd be much more likely that he would have spread it to one or both of those places before my room. But who knows. He could have brought one that latched onto me. But the time frame is still off.

My brother is the only person I know that has shared with me that they have had bed bugs, so unless I have a friend that was embarrassed to share, I probably got it from some public area (restaurant/school). I went to a community college (cheaper!) back then, and this city is super poor (something like 25% of the population lives below the poverty line). Because treating is much harder when you're poor, it's quite possible a classmate or fellow restaurant patron shared the love. Since August 2015, I've been attending a public university (~20,000 enrollment), so that's also a huge possibility - if I got them after August 2015.

Honestly, in regard to where (and when) I picked them up, your guess is as good as mine. The best I have is that I'm a classic case of the public place hitchhiker. Because I've had such different bites, off and on, for so long...only some things match the bed bug checklist, and others are nothing like the checklist, so I have no clue.

I'm even planning on a light treatment (EcoRaider) of all my books, notebooks, etc from school. I'd hate to have a tiny nymph secretly tag along and share the love with another classmate or professor. Or give them back to myself, because that's my luck in life.

This semester is already exhausting me, this is just the difference between 4 hours of sleep and no sleep. Your concern and words are very kind.

6. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 6:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand from the PCOs that your car is unlikely to be infested because the bedbugs do not want to stay in a place without humans being there a lot. So unless you are spending a lot of time in the car it is unlikely to be infested.
    As to your books etc they can be treated with Nuvan strips but you may not be able to buy these in your state and they are supposed to be for professional use only.
    You need to ensure that you are not taking bedbugs out with you, so your purse and college bag need inspecting carefully and heat drying as a precaution. Then keep them wrapped in plastic when in your room to ensure they stay protected from hitchhikers.
    You are making good progress. You have a plan. Just keep asking the questions as you need to.

7. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 7:12:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I do spend more time in my car than the average person. I'm no trucker, but I commute to school. So that's 1 hour there, and 1 hour home, assuming there's no construction making it even longer. This semester, I go 4 days per week. Last academic year I went 5 days a week. So that's 8-10+ hours each week in my car. I know it's unlikely they've spread there, but I'd rather be thorough. If one is in there, it could ruin the whole process. Also, if one gets in there some time in the future, I'd rather it just die.

I may try to keep them in garbage bags while home for a short while. I really want to assess what kind of situation I have before I commit to how deep I'm going with certain things. I was also considering having something like a ring of Cimexa on the floor to keep certain items in. But that wouldn't necessarily prevent them from going into the bags, it would just hopefully kill them before they can do any damage. Thanks for the idea! I will definitely consider the bags for at home.

I can't do the Nuvan strips anyway. For the books on the shelf, I can just put those in storage for 18+ months if I really need to (for good measure). If the infestation is bad, there's a LOT I don't need for 18+ months, but that's more time/money, and if I do need it in the next 18 months, then I use it every day, multiple times a day. School books, clothes, etc. Computer. I'm a math/computer science double major, so the computer is more necessary than most of the books, even.

Because Nuvan strips need to be sealed for 3-7+ days with items, this is not something I can do for my school books, notebooks, etc. I would love to have a Packtite or Zappbug, but those are too expensive, and no one around here rents them. No one around here does thermal, or Vikane, or any of that kind of stuff. We pretty much just have some local exterminators that use sprays/powders/etc, or we can pack everything in a truck and drive 2 hours to the nearby big city, and I do not have time or money for that. And being a big city, it's of course super expensive. I looked.

Yes, I have a plan. It's the implementation and effectiveness that I'm worried about. But then again, it's always the implementation and effectiveness that make or break any plan in life.

8. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 7:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Your computer should be fine. Bedbugs generally don't move in to electronics unless forced to. They love cardboard, wood, paper. They like to live as close as possible to their hosts.
    If the bags you use a flimsy consider double bagging. If bagging up stuff in non transparent bags then stick on labels describing the contents.

9. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 7:59:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. I stood up and found the back half of a dead adult. (It was hard and dry, so I didn't just kill it or anything.) I sit with one leg curled under, so I probably walked on it, and it stuck to my foot. I hate this.

I do have a plastic bin of important files. It's not sealed, but it has a lid. But I keep stuff on top of it, so that's one thing I hope didn't get infested. It's away from the bed, but the room is only so big (10x10 I think?).

I only have white 13-gal kitchen garbage bags currently, but a 50 pack of 42-gal 3-mil clear bags are on the way. I do have a "wood" desk thing next to my bed. It's plyboard with that paper over it so it has wood grain. It's what my laptop sits on, and much other stuff. I'm not sure if I want to part with it or try to salvage it. The dresser and nightstand are solid wood, but painted on the outside. Those never touch the bed, but they'll be treated.

This psychological feeling of bugs crawling on me is making me lose my mind.

The closer it gets to the guy coming to haul away the couch, the more I dread opening it up. I feel like with the little activity I have, there should only be a few, but my mind is picturing it just festering with bugs. I think the psychological toll of bed bugs is probably worse than the procedure itself to get rid of them. Ugh. I am 99% sure like 14 are crawling on me right now, but I'm also 99% sure it's just my mind. As a math major, I claim the ability to be wonky with numbers like that.

I should probably head out for a bit. I need to grab some stuff from the store (gloves, mask, etc) and cash for the mover. I seriously cannot emotionally handle today.

QUESTION! Have you heard of anyone having multiple reactions to bed bugs? I know that around half of people don't react to the bites, and of those that do, the reactions vary greatly. However, I had those "spider bites" that were usually singular (sometimes 2-3, or double-bite - where it looks like it could be from fangs) that hurt, got big, and lasted for weeks (NOT classic bed bug bites), and I had the mosquito bites that were 1-4, near each other (line, grouping), and usually only lasted like a mosquito bite (classic bed bug bites).

Could both of these be two different reactions be from the bed bugs? Or is it likely that something else has been dining on me, too?

10. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 10:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The reaction to bed bug bites for those who react seem to vary depending on where the bites are located on the body. So some big itchy bites that itch for weeks and others that only itch for a few days or even a few hours.
    Why open up the couch when it is being taken away? If you really want to do that make sure it is out of the house as you fido not want the bugs to scatter indoors.
    Definitely the dresser, nightstand and the computer thing have to be treated.
    I just scratch and itch when thinking about bedbugs!

11. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 11:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened: The bites did not vary by location. I could have a tiny bite that went away in a couple hours, just 2 inches from one that was 4-5 inches in diameter and took weeks to heal, was red, swollen, hot to the touch, and hurt. There was no consistency. I would have only bad ones, only 'mosquito' ones, both, or none, and both types showed up everywhere. The only thing that was really different was that the 'mosquito' ones could happen under clothing. I recently woke up with a string of 4 on my left shoulder blade, while I had been wearing a large t-shirt. The bad ones only happened to exposed skin. It could be just the tiniest spot of exposed skin, but I never got a bad one where clothing was.

Update: The couch/bed has been removed along with one super-heavy dresser. There are no signs. The couch had none visible. We even opened the bed (outside) to salvage the bedding. Nothing. Not a shell. Not a stain. Nothing on the floor under the couch. Nothing along the wall/trim behind the couch. I am so confused right now.

To be clear, I'm not giving up the whole process. If one single bug is left anywhere in this house, I want it dead.

I'm just really frickin' confused. If you saw it, you would have thought I was hallucinating having bugs. But I have a dead one in a little container. I feel like the bugs are gaslighting me. This is classified as emotional abuse right?

I mean, if I only had the recent bites, and I only saw the one bug a couple days ago...I could understand not having any visible signs.

But I saw a bug in June. And I've been getting bit for almost a year and a half, with a range from multiple every night to none for three months. If I didn't have the one in the container, I almost wouldn't believe myself. To be fair, I only looked at the pull-out bed and outer couch areas. I did not thoroughly check the wooden frame, as the movers had another job to get to.

The new bed and the EcoRaider/Cimexa are all on the way today. I don't really know what to do until then, and I am so tired. Ugh.

12. Itchyallover

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 12:27:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, did you have your bug identified as a bed bug, just be sure before you start treatment.

Not an expert

13. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 14:18:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if the main problem is fleas. How much time do you spend with the cats in the basement? Perhaps you just have a couple of bedbugs. This is why a PCO is the best plan but now you hav started taking stuff out then it is more difficult for the PCO to search.
    Sounds like you will have to at least start your plan in your room.

14. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 17:37:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I did not have the bug professionally identified as a bed bug, as I do not have the money to spend on even an inspection. However, after staring at pictures for around 4 months, I am willing to put money I don't have on the fact that it's a bed bug.

We have fleas, yes, which makes it harder, but I also do not react almost at all to the fleas. Also, we had the fleas for more than a year before my first suspicious bites, I've had fleas many times in my life, and we've had them so much worse. This is not fleas.

Because I could not find any evidence with a pretty extensive search myself, I also did not want a PCO to tell me that I don't have them. I didn't keep the first one I had found (learned that after doing research! You guys are super helpful!), so I had no proof otherwise. I've read the stories about issues with PCOs that deemed the infestation to be nothing or so low that they didn't find anything. I'd rather deal with it myself because I know, than have someone else call me crazy while I wake up with new bites.

One of the big reasons I chose EcoRaider and Cimexa is that they work on fleas. I hated that couch, and I hated that dresser, so I wanted to get rid of them anyway. In a world where I didn't have bed bugs, this is honestly how I would want things to go anyway (get rid of fleas, couch, dresser). I just maybe would have preferred not to have to do all of this right now, as I'm so busy with school.

When I found the one in June 2016, it was an adult, and by my research of their behavior, it was dying. It was flat (no blood meal any time recently), it was walking much slower than in any video I saw, and it was in the middle of my room (away from anything) at 2pm. With no other evidence, I decided to stay vigilant with keeping an eye out for evidence of more. I mean, there is the possibility that I brought home a male, and he just enjoyed no competition for food for the rest of his life. That's not exactly a common story with bed bugs, but it is possible. Especially since I only had enough bites to constitute the beginning of an infestation, but that lasted over a year.

Anywho. I've been rambling, and the EcoRaider/Cimexa was just delivered. Onward march!

15. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 19:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. I really do dislike my father's distaste for "chemical warfare". He let me lay Cimexa along the wall trim in their room, but only of the wall that is shared with my room. AND he won't let me treat underneath my room (basement ceiling area).

He said, "I'll let you know if I see any," in regard to the basement. I'm over a bathroom and a room with cats in it. I asked if I could even just do directly under my room. Nope.

I hope to all the good things in the universe that the bugs haven't/don't spread down there. He's not even okay with EcoRaider, which is like one of the most "natural/nontoxic" products on the market.

This is why we've been battling fleas for 2+ years. He was all about the borax for ants, but his treatment for fleas includes "put live ones in soapy water, vacuum everything daily". I even mentioned both of these products work for fleas, and he said that they're almost gone. I got like 10-20 on me last night just doing laundry. smh

If the bed bugs spread out of my room, that's officially not my problem anymore. My bed will be an island. I will use my products in my room. The rest of the house is his issue. I'm so done with arguing with him. He is in his 60s, so he's always lived in the USA that doesn't have a bed bug problem. I hope he doesn't have to learn the hard way.

"I'll let you know if I see any." Right.

16. ac16

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 19:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Why don't you wait until he's either asleep or out of the house and then do it?

17. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 7 2016 19:49:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I've considered that, and I may still try. My main issue with EcoRaider is that it has a scent, so he'll know if I use that one. I could maybe sneak in the Cimexa, but I'd have to be SUPER careful to do it ONLY where he won't see. And with the ceiling being exposed in the basement, that's almost impossible.

This is seriously a losing battle trying to reason with him. He's a very "set in his ways" - "my way is the ONLY right way" type of personality. This is not a new thing. He won't even clean his (basement) bathroom (GROSS I KNOW), so no one else will use it. Every so often I go clean it, and he gets cranky when I do. Apparently 1/4" thick soap scum is how he likes his shower. But don't you dare leave anything out in "his space". No logic. smh

18. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 4:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Still going strong. Pretty sure if any type of bug bit me right now, they'd just draw out coffee.

So the frame I ordered got delayed. Definitely not setting up on the floor, so another all-nighter it is. I'm working on a 3 hour nap earlier (Friday afternoon) after staying up Thursday night. For any curious, I napped on the couch in the living room, but only after measures to ensure I did not take any 'friends' with me. I may do that again later if I start crashing. After doing so much laundry, I sure am accumulating it quickly.

I have yet to see any sign of bed bugs. Being that the one I killed Tuesday night was either 3rd or 4th instar, I feel I may have caught this at the beginning. Perhaps my issues over the last year were from a single male or a female that wasn't pregnant (adult I killed in June 2016). Perhaps I just was lucky enough to bring home another that was pregnant. This is my working theory with the lack of other evidence.

I didn't get to look at the couch too thoroughly before the movers swept it away, but it does not appear that they moved out of the couch, whatever the population level may have been. From what I did see inside the couch, there were no signs there, either. I have yet to see casts or feces outside of the numerous pictures I've looked at over the past 4 months, and the two I killed are the only ones I've found (alive or dead).

The old, dead back half I mentioned above could very well be from some other bug that just has a butt similar to bed bugs. I did find the front half of some Frankenstein nonsense bug in approximately the area I would have picked up the back half. Who knows.

Sorry if anyone is annoyed with the length of my posts. Not only do I have about nothing for a social life from being so busy with school right now, but this is about the only place I have to vent about the bed bugs. Not exactly lively conversation with which to entertain friends or dates. But of course, that would imply seeing friends or having dates.

How are your nights going?

19. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 11:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL. Yes one doesn't really want to tell too many people. When I was talking to a friend in a cafe recently the people on the next table overheard and according to my friend moved to a table further away.
    Glad your plan is in progress.
    Why aren't you treating the cats' fleas with an invisible product that you just dab on them?

20. Freaked Fighter

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 15:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You're doing a great job, considering your limitations. I'm not a pro but it sounds like your latest scenario makes the most sense. You probably picked up a dying one way back when and recently picked up a hardy female. You're doing what you can with all that you can. The only thing I would add would be Kleen-Green. It's a concentrated contact killer and, as the name implies, is "green." Even hippy green, it says "chemical free" right on the label. It's some sort of enzymes that makes the bugs instantly molt, therefore drying them out and bye bye bug. It does leave a vinegery smell for a short time. I get mine from the Amazon link on the right of this page. Accessing Amazon this way gives the forum a few cents which helps the site keep running. You dilute it and put it in a spray bottle. It is only a contact killer which means it takes a direct hit to kill but it's so green I wash my hair in it and then spray more on and leave it in. It's good to mist over your blanket before bed (when u get one). It is also a great cleaner. I use it all the time for cleaning, spills, doggie accidents, etc. Check it out. In the meantime your doing a very good job!

21. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 16:35:41
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened: I am not treating the cats' fleas because my Dad is asinine. He has a spreadsheet where he keeps track of the number of fleas he vacuums up every day. Seriously. (He has a spreadsheet for everything, but that's for the woes of a different message board lol.) We do use the Frontline stuff you put on the back of their necks (if that is what you were talking about). THAT my dad is okay with. smh

Freaked Fighter: Thank you! Words of encouragement are always good to hear!

I am not using Kleen-Green, because while it kills them in a different way, it still kills them just like the two products I am using. I could not find anything that says Kleen-Green has residual effects, while EcoRaider works for 14 days and Cimexa works for 10 years. Also, I did not find anything that says Kleen-Green kills eggs, while EcoRaider is supposed to. EcoRaider is green (and safe for use on sheets, etc) like Kleen-Green, but has the residual and works on eggs. If you feel Kleen-Green would fill a gap left by EcoRaider and Cimexa, please do tell!

However, the "hippy-green" is not enough, if you're talking about convincing my dad to let me use it around the house. He will not allow me to use it around the house, and I can guarantee that. He won't let me use EcoRaider, and I even read off the ingredient list to him, told him what SDSs say, etc.

Update: I slept. It was glorious. I wasn't doing very much very quickly, as I had about 10 hours of horrible sleep between Tuesday and Friday. I am ready to take this on once more. Because I cannot remove anything from my room, except what is going in a bag straight to the washer, I am doing my room in sections. My current process is this:

Spray section with EcoRaider. This includes wall, trim, carpet, whole area. Let it dry.
    Vacuum whole area. Cimexa where carpet meets the wall and the top of the trim (there are cracks between the trim and the wall in a few places).
    Move bags/stuff to that area. If a thing is not in a bag, then it gets doused in EcoRaider (any furniture, basically).
    Start on new section.

I am doing around the room first, then I will be doing the middle of the room. I will be hitting up the outlets and such today with Cimexa (behind the actual box, of course). I am not caulking until I know the bugs are gone, as I do not want to encourage them to find other areas of the house. Let them come to me, because then I know they're walking through a field of Cimexa and EcoRaider. MUAHAHAHAHAHA

So far, I have found that this room seems to have once had a problem with earwigs. The number of species of insect I have found would thrill an entomologist, however still zero signs of bed bugs. I am crossing every finger and toe that this holds as I do the rest of my room.

22. Freaked Fighter

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 17:44:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the kind words but most of us here, is there or has been there. I'm a has been, twice. This site saved my sanity. You, on the other hand, seem to be emotionally doing OK. Must be that logical mind. We all are rooting for you because bed bugs do completely rob you of sleep and strength. So hang in there. It seems as though your plan is doable for a light infestation. Remember though, I am not a pro, just experienced.
    Is there any way you can snap a pic, highest resolution, biggest pic? We have an excellent entomologist who frequents the board and can tell you what species you have (bed bug, bat bug, rodent/bird mite). If you can start another thread asking for ID please, then come back to this one. You can link them if you want but this is your main thread. They look extremely similar but treatment differs a little.
    As for the Kleen-Green, I, personally, like to have a quick kill handy even if there is no residual. What would you do if you moved a box and there before you is an entire harborage. Eggs to adults. I'm a worrier by nature and believe in being ready for anything. Most fighters of these devils have a quick kill handy. 91% alcohol works as well but is a little stinky and a lot flammable.
    Good luck and keep the coffee brewing!

23. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 18:34:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Emotionally, I'm a wreck. I'm just used to being an emotional wreck, I think. Also, the fact that I haven't found any signs is helpful to my sanity. I'm getting SO behind on homework, though. However, I still have the creepy-crawlies. My legs are bare from the knee down, and I keep feeling something tickle or itch, and NOTHING is there. I stare while I feel it, and nothing is happening. Yay psychology!

EcoRaider is a quick kill, which is why I wanted something more than the Cimexa. Honestly, from what I've found, many things are quick killers if applied directly to the bug; it's usually finding the bugs that's the hard part. (Also not an expert, of course, but this seems to be consistent through what I've read.) The reason I chose EcoRaider as my quick kill is that it is super safe (like Kleen Green), but it also has the residual. I can apply it weekly or every other week, and it will work as good as a fresh spray. ALL my stuff is getting coated in it. Even if I don't find the bug, I like the peace of mind knowing that I have set in motion the murder of each little bastard.

I'm a worrier by nature, too! Currently, on top of this and homework, I am figuring out who to tell (who have I seen recently?) AND where did I get it. It does seem that the "one before, preggo female recently" theory is holding up, but if that's what happened, did I get them from the same place/person? Where have I gone/who have I seen recently that is the same as June 2015? If two different places/people, then where have I gone/who have I seen recently that might have shared the love? Either way, of the recent places/people, how can I prevent bringing home more, even if I nipped this in the bud?

I'm not asking you to answer those (I mean, if you have suggestions of things to consider/ponder, feel free!). I'm just giving an example of what my current ponderings are. Also, the venting helps. Lots. The people on this board are wonderful. I don't know where my crazy would have gone without this site.

24. Freaked Fighter

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 18:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Venting helps tremendously! And all here are or have been there. You come across as sane, logical, and someone with a plan of serial killing and not afraid to go for it. I didn't know EcoRaider was both contact and residual. Learning all the time. That's why this board is so great. Nobugs, who thankfully runs the site, has everything easy to access, with tips and tricks, and some awesome friends here.
    I think you'll make the success stories sooner than most. In the meantime, vent away. It is helpful to communicate with those that understand. And, try to get as much rest as you can. I know it seems impossible, but try.

25. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 19:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION!

I took off one cover over an electrical outlet. The box it's in is metal (the house is like 75ish years old, and metal was the thing back then, rather than plastic), and it appears there's some sort of stucco-type material fully surrounding it.

What should I do? I cannot get into the wall around the metal box, as it is encased. I do not feel comfortable drilling into the wall, if the bugs could not have gotten into it that way. I saw no signs in/around the socket, and this was one directly behind my couch/bed. I do not want to drill because it not only is potentially unnecessary damage to the house, but also I do not want to give them a hole where they did not previously have one.

Is it safe to just treat around the socket, but not behind? This wall is the one with a few cracks between the floor trim and wall, so there's Cimexa being put in those cracks. Will this be sufficient for "in the wall"?

I will continue to check every outlet/light switch. If I can get behind the box, I will, but I feel that most/all the ones in this room may be like this.

Freaked Fighter: Logic is my brain, and serial killing is my game. Oh yes. I am good with that. Nobugs is seriously a saint in my book. I do hope I'm on the success story list soon!

26. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 20:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I added pictures here and linked back to this thread. Let me know if you took a look!

27. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 21:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: the desk I used for my laptop was always in front of my couch/bed, by where my head was when I slept. It is made of plyboard, has little holes for pegs to hold the shelf, and has wheels on the bottom. It even frequently was up against the couch/bed, touching it.

This item had zero signs of bed bugs. Many signs of dust mites, spiders, flying gnat things, but no bed bug signs. With it being what it is and where it was, I would assume this to be one of the first places they would go, if they ventured beyond the couch/bed. I find this promising.

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 22:41:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Because I could not find any evidence with a pretty extensive search myself, I also did not want a PCO to tell me that I don't have them.

Thanks for your kind words about the site and I hope this doesn't offend you, but that's the wrong approach to take with bed bugs. You really need to know if you have them and where and how many.

There's no incentive for a PCO to not find bed bugs if you have them. (We do hear of people who are lied to on occasion and told something else is a bed bug, presumably to sell an unnecessary bed bug service, so we encourage people to post a photo here even if a pro says they have evidence.).

If you genuinely don't have visual evidence of bed bugs, you don't need bed bug treatment and you do need to find the real source of the problem. Sometimes the stress of unexplained itching and suspected bed bugs makes people lose sight of that logic.

If you've found no visual evidence except two bugs which you think are bed bugs, any of the following could be true:

• A bed bug wandered in or was brought in, twice (not unusual if you have attached neighbors with bed bugs or exposure to a continued source)
    • A bat or bird bug wandered in twice (these look so like bed bugs you're not likely to be able to tell the difference; consider whether there have been any bats or birds nesting in or on the building you live in;
    • you don't have bed, bat, or bird bugs and your skin reactions are from fleas and/or another cause. A known case of fleas suggests that may be the issue needing treatment..

There may be other possibilities.

You may be right that they're bed bugs, but if so, it's important to find out how many there are and where. I am glad you posted a photo for ID.

I did skim through the entire thread but I missed the answer to this question: do you have attached neighbors?

Also has the sofa removal guy done his job yet and was anything found in it? If it hasn't happened yet, get pictures of any suspected evidence.

As for EcoRaider, a lab study suggested it had potential value but there are
    more powerful products available to you and I
    don't think these EPA exempt products are typically used by pros. If they were the best residuals available, they would be. Cimexa, on the other hand, is a good tool according to our experts and research.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  29. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 8 2016 23:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme: OMG I feel so special that you replied to my post! Is that weird? I'm weird. Sorry.

PCO quote: that was more my thoughts with the first bug found. I didn't keep it, so I had no evidence. This one I kept (the one in the pictures), so at least I can prove I'm not insane. I would have LOVED to hire someone to check my place (and exterminate!), but I am so broke. I'm already on a limited income, and with what I've spent on the new bed and movers to remove the couch, I'm up a creek if my car dies (again). And I've spent less than half of what the exterminator quoted. He only does whole houses, not just rooms, and refuses to do apartment buildings (because most managers will not want to treat the whole building). And he gave me a rough estimate of $1000 based on the size of my house, number of beds, etc. I just don't have that kind of money. I will beg on the streets if I have to, if my treatments don't work, but for now, I'm going to try to hit it on my own.

I await the comments on my photos.

Attached neighbors: Nope. Single family home. Neighbors are probably like 15-20 feet away, or more depending on which neighbor, but even the garage is detached.

The more powerful products would have been nixed by my father. He's cranky that I'm using EcoRaider and Cimexa. I chose EcoRaider over other green products, because that's what the PCO I spoke with said he uses for customers requesting green treatments. He said he uses EcoRaider and CimiShield for those requests, and he said he uses Temprid for those who don't have those requests. He did not specify if he uses other products, but it seemed like those were his main go-tos. In regard to PCOs in the area, he has the best ratings and many reviews of success stories. He even does a lot of work in the suburbs of the nearby big city, which is having a HUGE issue with bed bugs. If this seems "off", please let me know why!

The potentially low efficacy of EcoRaider is why I'm using Cimexa. I like that Cimexa seems to have helped many huge infestations as a stand-alone treatment. Of course, I outlined my plan above, and I'm doing much more than just spray/powder. The EcoRaider is just all I have to treat things I can't wash, dry, Cimexa, etc. I have no access to or money for a steamer, oven, or anything like that.

Sofa: I saw zero evidence in it. I did not get to thoroughly examine every nook and cranny, but I did get to have a general look over the inner woodwork, and once it was outside, we opened the pullout bed to remove the bedding. None of this had a spot of poop or shell, which I figured it would be teeming, had the infestation gone on for any length of time.

30. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 1:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

QUESTION!

Do I keep the area rug?

Still no signs. Lifted the rug, and it was the one (unused) spot in my room without dust, cobwebs, etc. I'm going to spray with the EcoRaider and vacuum.

But do I keep the rug? The rug is...light brown? Tan? And the carpet in my room is black. The rug has the rubber bottom, if that matters at all. I would like to keep it, as the carpet in this room is crap - over 20 years old (came with the house 21 years ago), so many spills and stains and weird spots. I would like the rug, but not if you guys think it's a bad idea. With how light my infestation seems to be, it's one of the things I want to salvage. (If the infestation was bad, it was going to go - no questions asked, but because I haven't found any other evidence, I'm thinking I can just spray and vacuum now, and check under it for a while.)

If it's relevant: the rug will be in the middle of the room, where I would walk. It will not have any furniture sitting on it, so it will able to be fully moved at any time with no notice.

Thoughts?

31. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 3:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Can the rug go n the tumble dryer? If so run it on hot for 30 mins minimum. Otherwise vaccum it several times and apply Ecoraider.

32. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 4:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

No, I can't wash it. It's like 4' by 5', so much too big for a washer.

I vacuumed under it, laid a little Cimexa under it, vacuumed it, sprayed with EcoRaider.

Because it has the rubber bottom, I figure the Cimexa will stick.

And I've been running the dryer for 70 minutes on hot. I do that with my laundry anyway, so that's not even different, lol. The only difference with the laundry is the bags, amount, and hot water. I like my clothes to be VERY dry. I hate damp pockets in jeans and such. I wish I could just wash and dry everything I own. I would.

33. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 4:51:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Cimexa and/or EcoRaider seems to work on moths?

There's a dead one in the corner, laying on some Cimexa, but I've EcoRaidered so much that who knows what it ran into.

(The moth came in when I had the window open to toss stuff out, and it was bumping into everything - the wall, me, everything. It was not pleased to be in here.)

34. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 5:57:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The Ecoraid may be green but even some natural products are toxic to humans so please do not exceed the recommended amounts of the products

35. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sun Oct 9 2016 15:03:47
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened: Oh yeah, for sure. "Natural" just means "made outside, not a lab". Ebola is natural, too, and it's scary how many people don't understand that kind of thing. I looked up all the ingredients, and I feel comfortable with them.

Update: I set up my bed last night and slept in my room. I have the interceptors, and the only thing in one of them is a small spider. He can be in there.

I'm thinking more and more that I got this before it got bad. I'll see how the next few weeks go, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

My brother (that had bedbugs a few years ago in a previous apartment) is here to visit. He's fed up with how my dad allows this house to be "a breeding ground for infestations", as he put it. He even threatened to consider not visiting in the future if my dad keeps this up. I told him what my dad said to me ("I'll let you know if I see any."), and he was just as outraged as I am.

This is why I am as vigilant as I am, even though I haven't had the bug 100% confirmed, even though I haven't found any other signs. I know for a fact that if anywhere else in this house gets bed bugs, they will never be defeated because of my dad.

36. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 21:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: The small spider died. Apparently the interceptors were to slippery for it?

Still no bugs in the interceptors. No bites. Two nights spent in the new bed, and the third night will be tonight.

Knock on wood for me (if you have any left!). As each day passes, it appears more and more likely that they all went out with the couch/bed. If not, then hopefully the treatments and interceptors do their jobs.

I just wish I could know where I picked them up, especially since it seems that I picked up one on two separate occasions.

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 22:27:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck! No signs is good and it may have been a very small issue.

38. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 22:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

39. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Oct 11 2016 22:38:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up last night around 4am because I had a new bite. It might have been occurring at that moment. It might have been one of those "delayed response" bites.

I had previously used some EcoRaider on my bed. Today I EcoRaidered the hell out of my bed. I looked at the seams of the fitted sheet, to no avail. We'll see what happens.

With it being so soon after finding the bug, it might be a delayed response. This is a fair statement. Oddly, the bite was "gone" by the time I got up for school, except for a very slight discoloration. Normally, my bites last for at least days, so there is the chance that it was a fresh bite that got interrupted by me waking. It looked fresh, too, whatever that counts for.

That's fine. It's walking through a field of death if it comes for me.

Still no bugs caught in interceptors.

If one did get to my bed, it must have used me for a ride (the bastard) and then waited for hours. I was sitting here doing homework for many hours before I dozed off.

I just want my life back.

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 0:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You will be bitten until every bed bug is gone (and may be later, due to the delay factor). Stay strong!

41. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 0:30:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you! I am trying. I would be able to handle this better emotionally/mentally if I weren't so busy with school. And I wouldn't be behind in school, if it weren't for the bugs. Sigh. They just couldn't do this during summer break, could they?

I guess I was hoping that they were gone, since I've had no signs, none in the interceptors, etc. Logically, I completely know that those things do not mean that there are zero bed bugs, but alas, the brain and the heart do not often agree. Which is why I used more death spray.

I like that. It sounds like "death ray", except only bugs die. That's my kind of death ray!

42. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 3:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I believe I found the source!

I told a friend of mine (call her J), so she could check, as we have been to several similar places. She said that I was the second person to tell her today. Her friend (that I know as an acquaintance, call her T) moved in with friends a few months ago, and apparently they have a "severe infestation" of bed bugs and fleas. They didn't tell T until she found them herself. Lovely.

So while this would not explain the rogue one I had from June 2015 to June 2016, it does explain the new infestation that started in the last couple months. T, J, and I have hung out at a diner a few times in the last few months, so that would easily be the source. J is going home to check as I type this.

I will be informing them of everything I can. Solidarity! And that includes this site, because it is probably the one place that kept me sane this past week. There is so much good information here, and so many awesome people.

Shout out to Nobugsonme for being the amazing, wonderful person to start (and keep) this site!

Side note update: Still no bed bugs in the interceptors. Got another dead tiny spider, though.

Talking to people, so this is taking longer than expected to update: T said she steamed, hot wash/dry, and bombed. I told her about bombing and asked if she wanted recommendations.

"For what? I haven't seen a single one since I did all that and I only saw one before I did it. I'm pretty sure I already solved the issue."

Unfortunately, for my own sanity, I believe I will not be able to hang out with T for at least 18 months.

I won't ditch someone for having bed bugs. I will ditch someone for completely disregarding facts in a way that may potentially harm others.

43. Loosing it

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 16:26:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't feel that you are ditching anyone! If "T" isn't willing to treat the problem successfully then you will just keep taking a chance on being re-infested. Try explaining to her again and suggest she do some research before doing anything else. Some people just are not willing to accept that they (BB) are so hard to get rid of and want a quick fix, which we all know isn't going to work and just make he problem worse. If she is unwilling to hear you out then you have to protect yourself.

44. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 18:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yes, T is very unwilling to listen right now. From what J said, T is going through a lot of other issues, too, so she's just not going to be open to much from anyone.

Also, J said that she got a "very different story" from T about the infestation (T told J it was bad, T told me it wasn't bad), and I'm much more willing to believe what T told J than what T told me, as they've been friends for years, and T and I are barely acquaintances.

I left the offer for knowledge open, but I'm just fine with leaving the ball in her court. We're not close, so I'm not losing a great friendship or anything.

J is also very frustrated with T, about this and more, so I think J probably won't be talking to her for a while, too. J and I are both at the "have to protect yourself" point with T. We both have way too much on our plates to deal with someone being that unreasonable about something so significant.

45. Loosing it

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 19:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sure "J" is frustrated, as anyone would be and has the right to be. Its like the old saying "it isn't a shame to get them, it's a shame to keep them." I am going threw tons also but that is no excuse to try to minimize the problem, expecially when other people's lives are involved. I too am currently battling these little demons and the first thing I done was told everyone I had came in contact with. Yes, it is very embarrassing and isn't something you want to tell anyone but I couldn't sleep (not getting anyway) if I hadn't of told them so they could be on the look out. What if I didn't tell them and they did get infested and didn't know to look then I go to there house a couple months from now and re-infest myself!
    It sounds like she was just ashamed to tell you the whole truth. Which is sad that there is such a stigma attached to Bbs. You have done all you can do and maybe she will come to her senses and eventually ask for help. If not then that is her issue. I know it is hard to watch someone crash and burn but when they refuse any help or any insight there isn't anything else you can do.

46. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 15 2016 1:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Rainie,

What a mess! Take care of yourself. You can lead a horse to water...

And thanks for your kind words about the site!

47. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 15 2016 2:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Loosing it: I hate telling people, because I feel like I have an STD and I'm calling old lovers. (Not that that's what it does/should feel like to anyone else! It's just how I feel when I tell someone.) But of course telling is the way to go. T is the only one with a negative reaction so far. Everyone else has been very appreciative of the head's up.

I don't think T was ashamed to tell me, as I opened the conversation with "I talked to J, and I have them too". I think T was probably just minimizing it, because she feels she has so much other stuff going on to worry about bugs, too. Either way, the help has been offered, and now it's her deal. I have to watch out for myself in the end. I encounter too many other people to have such a spreadable situation.

Nobugsonme: Leading a horse to water is definitely an accurate analogy. And all kind words are earned multiple times over! My sanity is currently intact, and this site has a LOT to do with that! I'm sure everyone else here can say the same.

48. Loosing it

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 15 2016 13:36:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Believe me, I hate telling people too! It took me almost 2 weeks to call and tell one of my friends because I knew she would freak out. And yes calling "old lovers" is just exactly how it feels! It is so embarrising and I know they are thinking negative thoughts about me. I wish you well in your bb adventure. Please come back and share your success story when it is all over!
    This site freaked me out so bad because I was reading all of these horror stories and didn't see many success stories. I guess people just don't think to come back to post their success.

49. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 15 2016 15:53:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh believe me, this thread is my way to chronicle this particular journey. Every post helps, because there might be that one person that reads something that clicks/works for them.

So far, it's been a week, and I have zero bed bugs in my interceptors. I have no new bites (except the one from like 2 days after that may have been a delayed reaction).

Currently, I believe I caught it early (before the first eggs from a pregnant female were able to reach adulthood), so that is why I'm having all of these results. If I had caught it in 2-3 weeks, who knows what would have happened.

Also, because there's no way to know if any bugs/eggs got left behind, I'm of course keeping vigilant for now. I don't want one to pop up out of "nowhere" and set me back to the beginning.

If anyone new is reading this, follow the procedures you see laid out on this site! Ask questions! There is a TON of good information here.

50. Loosing it

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Sat Oct 15 2016 16:16:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so happy you are seeing positive results!! I too have not had any bites or any activity in 25 days. I am hoping and praying that this nightmare is finally over. My daughter was bitten for over a month before we figured out what it was. We assumed it was fleas or mosquito bites, Bed bugs didn't even cross my mind! I live in a rural area that hasn't really had a whole lot of problems with them. Sure enough I got online and was trying to figure out what else it could be and boom there was my answer on my mattress!!!

51. rainie

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Mon Oct 24 2016 23:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Roughly 2.5 weeks since The Big Clean. Not one bite. Not one bed bug in the interceptors. (There is another tiny spider. I'm up to 4 now. All in the same interceptor. Weird.)

So far, my white sheets have only taught me that my feet get dirtier than I thought.

Still keeping up all vigilance from day 1. My purse/bookbag stay in a plastic bag when at home. Bed is an island. Living out of plastic bags of clothes.

I think I might try to use my dresser/closet soonish. Maybe let my purse live outside of a plastic bag when at home. Maybe. Definitely not before this coming weekend to make it officially 3 weeks.

The stuff (not clothes) that was not washed will definitely stay in plastic bags until I can sort/treat/clean it. I've just been living with a pile of garbage bags in the middle of my room, because I've been so busy with school and life.

But still no bugs. Every day that passes, it seems more and more likely that I did get the bugs recently from T, and that I caught it very early.

They psychological is still there. I'm still itchy and suspicious of every sensation and such. But at least it's all in my head so far. I can deal with it there.

52. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Oct 25 2016 2:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Loosing it - 1 week ago  » 

This site freaked me out so bad because I was reading all of these horror stories and didn't see many success stories. I guess people just don't think to come back to post their success.

That's right-- most people forget to come back. But more than 550 people have posted in the success stories forum-- have you seen those posts?

53. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Oct 25 2016 11:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait for 28 days before making changes. That seems to be the number people work to. Also I got bitten by a tiny spider. I felt it bite me twice and I still have the marks some 10 days later. The bites itched for a week

54. rainie

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 23:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: It's officially past the 7 month mark.

No bugs. No bites. In 7 months.

Well, no bedbugs and no bedbug bites. All the other bugs in this region still exist, lol!

I have had my bed against the wall (not an island) since...around Thanksgiving? About a month/month and a half after The Big Clean. But there's been no activity at all. The only bugs that I've found in the past 7 months are spiders and the occasional gnat or mosquito.

I'm not going to post in the success forum yet. Unfortunately, this past school year was quite the beast. I did not have any time to eat/sleep regularly, so I really didn't have any time to organize what I wanted to organize. In particular, I have several garbage bags still in the middle of my room that have been tied off since The Big Clean.

This makes me nervous.

All signs point to the "brought home one single bug that died, then later brought home one that procreated" scenario I described above. It seems that I caught the infestation very early, as I feel that I would have continued to have to fight past The Big Clean had it been any worse.

I know that there is a chance that even one landed in one of those bags, and now I have the time to properly sort through them. But I don't want to give myself another infestation.

From everything I've read, the 18 month starvation number involves them being at 50F. However everything I've read regarding "room temperature" (65F-80F) conditions, they live for 2-9 months depending on other conditions (instar/adult, energy consumption, chemical resistance, etc). As winter just ended (with closed windows and controlled heating the whole time), the temperature of my room was probably between 65F-75F since The Big Clean. I doubt it ever actually reached either of those temperatures, but that would be the coldest/hottest it's been in here.

From the numerous posts on here, studies, charts, etc that I've read regarding this, I believe it is likely that if any bedbugs got into any of those bags, then it is highly likely to have already starved. I am not saying that they all are dead, just that it is highly likely that they are dead.

I think I might try to use the EcoRaider in the bags. I recall one way to use it is to spray a towel and seal it in with the items for up to two weeks. I might two it twice, for good measure.

Psychologically, I'm still twitchy and cautious about any sensation, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. After being bitten for about 16 months, I'm going to need a lot more than 7 months to get over that part.

But I'm sleeping, and I'm sleeping soundly. That's the real win there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,586 posts in 41,771 topics over 127 months by 18,318 of 18,785 members. Latest: ALivingNightmare, MontanaSPC, sarasoli