New here, need help

(22 posts)
  1. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 12 2016 15:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! I am new to this forum, new to this experience and going crazy after just a few days of finding out I have bed bugs.. my story is pretty long and horrible so if anyone can help that would be great..

It started off with me getting bites in my legs and arms for 3 days straight. At first it was one on my leg and one on my arm but then I started getting more. I had no idea what to think so I just decided to grab my sheets and do laundry. I stupidly didn't wash the big cover on top and instead put it in my closet. After washing the sheets, I didn't get bites. I did mention it to my dad though and he said he was fine. Fast forward a few days, my dad tells me he spoke to my brother and he, too, had two bites. He also mentioned insects on his bed. My dad knew this was a red flag. He googled bed bug images and showed my brother and he said "Yes! They look like those." The minute my dad told me this, I stayed up late waiting for my brother since he works late. I went into his room and asked him to show me his bed. To my complete horror, it was bed bugs. And it was worse than possibly imagined. I saw the fecal stains around the mattress. I saw his bed sheets in stains of blood. He apparently kills them with his bare hands and had been spraying Raid around his bed. I was infuriated. I told him to change the bed sheets, put them in plastic bag and I'd call the exterminator the next day. I did. They told me if I had confirmed it, to get ready for preparation. We bagged everything in our rooms. All the clothes. Took the frames off the walls like they asked. However, I did not want any of his stuff from his room outside. When the guy came, he said he found no evidence of bed bugs in my dad's room or my room but that the nest was in fact in my brother's room. Unfortunately because of the bags he wasn't able to get the whole room. Just the spring box, mattress and wooden things that held the place. He said judging from the mattress and spring box, he had been living with them for AT LEAST 1 year.

1. Fucking. Year.

I was disgusted. I was repulsed. Who the hell see's insects on their bed and doesn't do ANYTHING but kill and spray them? WHO? Needless to say, he wasn't going to sleep in his room because the guy said to let everything he sprayed marinate. He also said because they had been feeding on him for so long they were use to his blood and would follow him wherever he went. He never went to the living room to spray the sofas. So when I was laying in the sofa trying to get some rest, I saw one scatter next to my face. I freaked. I killed it. I called the owner. When I called the owner of the company he said he was not satisfied with the work the tech/guy did. He was suppose to spray the sofas and check the living room. He made the guy come the next day. I ended up getting bed encasement for my mattress and my dad's as well as interceptors. We put plastic around our stuff from my brother's room to the backdoor in the kitchen because the guy said we had to throw away that bed bug infested mattress. We threw almost everything away. All our stuff from that room is gone. My brother lost everything as well. He doesn't live with us anymore at this point. The only thing left is the dressers because there wasn't any room in the alley for them. The door has been closed since. We have some things blocking the entrance because we have a cat that loves to open that door and I didn't want him walking all over the chemicals.

I made my dad throw stuff out that we don't need. There's clutter and I know clutter is bad. But last night I found one in the kitchen. I killed it. Today, there was a nymph on my arm while i was sitting in bed. It had just fed because it was red. I panicked.

I feel completely useless and hopeless and it's only been a few days. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like throwing everything out because I don't feel at home. I feel like something so violating is living in my space. Is that insane? My dad and boyfriend tell me I am being crazy that I took the right steps in calling the exterminator but holy hell... I haven't seen a bed bug outside of his room until we sprayed. I am losing my mind. I am going to Target to buy plastic containers because I have a lot of stuff I just can't wash. I'm planning on vacuuming my entire place. I bought a vacuum with a bag because I know the one's with filters can be damaged by these pesky things.

I just need some reassurance from people who have lived through this. Is it possible that I am messing up somehow? It seems as if I'm the only one trying to fight this off. My dad is telling me to have faith in the chemical spray but I know we have to do more than that.

Please help.

A couple of days later,

2. TSPiggy

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 12 2016 20:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Breathe.

We discovered bb's in our daughter's room about seven weeks ago and I completely lost it. I didn't eat or sleep for days and let this thing consume me so I know where you're at right now. I ended up seeing a therapist, who I'm still seeing because I'm also dealing with other issues. She helped me with the bb anxiety tremendously. We're close to the end of our bb battle; it took four treatments and we've been living out of Ziploc bags the entire time. So understand that it will take time and you're going to need a lot of patience.

Our PCO warned us after each treatment that we would see an increase in bb activity for 2 - 3 days after treatment because they're fleeing the chemicals. We saw fewer live bugs after each treatment. Our fourth treatment was 10 days ago. I saw a single unfed baby the following day and haven't seen anything since then. So don't be surprised or alarmed because you're seeing more bugs after treatment.

Don't beat yourself up over doing anything you consider "stupid". You didn't know better. Now that you're here and can research the proper steps to take, you will know better. When my husband and I prepped for our first treatment I tried to follow our PCO's instructions to the letter while my husband took a laid-back attitude and cut corners wherever he could. Here we are seven weeks later, approaching the end of our bb battle. Could we have conquered the bugs sooner if he'd also followed the instructions exactly? Who knows? You're human and as a wise soul on this board told me, no prep is perfect.

3. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Jun 12 2016 21:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for responding. I am trying to keep calm but it's very difficult to do so. I've never dealt with any type of infestation before. I am worried for my cat especially because if they can't get to us to feed they're going to start biting him or already have.

Our second treatment is this Tuesday. I've been trying to declutter all day. Put some stuff in plastic containers. I've washed all clothing, towels and bed stuff but I never thought of ziplock bags. I just changed the large plastic bags. So I'm wondering if I should do that. My dad wants to start putting things back in his dresser but I'm just not comfortable with that.

I'm also debating whether or not to change pest companies. This one that did the first treatment messed up. The tech was telling me that they were all confined in that one room and when I called the owner he wasn't satisfied with what the tech said. So I've been very uneasy since.

I've had a couple of anxiety attacks as well which is new to me. So if I can't seem to get out of my own head about this I might just get professional help as well. It's ridiculous that something so small can cause such great chaos.

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 13 2016 4:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Your dad should not be putting stuff back in drawers. Wait for the second treatment and ask the PCO when you can unpack.
    Just leave your stuff where it is, no point in transferring it into ziplock bags. It is easy to spend a fortune in an attempt to alleviate the anxiety.
    I would stay with the same PCO for the time being. The PCO companies use different treatments so best to stick with the same one for now otherwise you get end up with a real mix of insecticides. Remember it usually takes anywhere between 2-4 treatments to get clear.
    When the PCO comes ask them what chemicals they are using for each treatment. Also ask them what their plan is.
    Try and not worry too much, with persistence the problem does go and we are almost stronger and certainly more knowledgeable for it. Other people not complying to how we want the issue handled is a real pain too.

5. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jun 13 2016 8:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I made sure he hasn't put things back. I tried vacuuming a lot yesterday. What I did notice last night is that I can see black specks underneath the mattress encasement. So I'm glad I put that on the day we had the first treatment. It came more as a shock because my mattress did not look like it was bed bug infested and even the tech had said he didn't see evidence of it in my room. My mattress was clean so now that I see those spots I'm just... in disbelief that I had been sleeping with those things.

Anxiously awaiting for the second treatment tomorrow. I have more questions to ask the tech and I'll make sure to ask what pesticides they are using. I never realized how real these cases can be. The loss of sleep, the anxiety and fear are real and I finally understand those who have and are going through this.

6. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 14 2016 12:03:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So I received awful news today that my neighbors upstairs have noticed bed bugs. Right above the main room that was super infested here. The tech is suppose to come today for the second treatment and now well he's going to have to inspect the 3 floors.

Definitely tired and stressed. Haven't slept much.

7. Dubaibugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jun 14 2016 12:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope things ge better soon.

8. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 12:29:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

So I ended up switching PCO because for the second treatment they almost didn't come. I'm not sure why or how the schedule got messed up. I was told they were going to come one day and and I waited and waited that when I called the tech told me he wasn't aware he was coming today. It was the only day I could because I work 12 hour shifts at the hospital so I kind of forced him to come because I was freaking out. All he did was spray some more. I had asked for them to inspect the adjacent apartment units because of the my neighbor finding some. And he did but it was not thorough, it was rushed since I was not in his time frame for the day and I'm sure he had somewhere else to go. I have not heard from them since. That same day I had another company come in and inspect. This guy found a live one that was dying on the sofa, I'm guessing it was dying from all the chemicals that were being sprayed. He also went into ground zero (the room where it all started) and showed me the eggs inside the dresser. I was disgusted. I was told to wait a little if I wanted treatment from them. I knew they vacuumed with a hepa vaccum and steamed the base boards, head frames, and mattresses so I said sure. They came and did their thing. By this time, my neighbor was getting ready to be treated because he definitely has bed bugs that he personally killed and he wasn't a reactor to bites so he was freaking out more. Bed bugs were also found by my neighbor who lives downstairs. Those critters really do migrate. I've felt so bad for this mess. I've been trying to contain the situation. The neighbors downstairs are being treated today.

I had to switch beds with my dad. He's currently staying in my room and I'm in his because my bed has been giving me the heebie jeebies. I know it's the same thing and they can eventually find me too but for peace of mind I've been there. I'm starting to think my dad doesn't react to bites though because I've been checking the mattress every morning and every night and I see little spots of blood. I know it's not definitive of bed bugs but I don't see anything else not even on the interceptors. Last night I found one bed bug skin case in the middle of the bathroom. But I haven't actually seen a live bed bug since two weeks ago? So I don't have a clue what to think. Second treatment from the second company is coming up in a week. I'm anxious for it to be done. I want this whole ordeal to be done.

9. damntheseparasites

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 1 2016 14:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep your chin up. I can totally identify with you feeling like you're going crazy. I've only been dealing with this for 2 weeks, and mine might be bat bugs. I haven't even been bit yet (don't know if I react or not) and I'm completely losing my damn mind.

It sounds like you're handling it like a bad ass though.

I've been drinking too much in order to be able to sleep. I just feel like they're coming for me and there's nothing I can do about it. My landlord has not told me if she's willing to spray yet. I hope she does.

Here's my story if you want a distraction from yours. Sorry about all the swearing, I do it too much when I'm stressed out:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bat-bugs-in-my-new-apartment?replies=6#post-247306

Kill them all....
  10. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 5 2016 19:34:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found 3 bites on my right arm. I'm feeling so hopeless.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 7 2016 0:12:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the new PCO treat the entire apartment? It's not normal to just treat a single bedroom or even that and the living room. Bed bugs migrate and in a year this is likely in my understanding. Others may be bitten and not react.

Don't lose hope. The PCO should follow up at 2 week intervals until they're gone, and the landlord should keep getting attached neighbors (attached to any affected unit) inspected.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 7 2016 0:21:16
    #

Login to Send PM

damntheseparasites - 5 days ago  » 
    Keep your chin up. I can totally identify with you feeling like you're going crazy. I've only been dealing with this for 2 weeks, and mine might be bat bugs. I haven't even been bit yet (don't know if I react or not) and I'm completely losing my damn mind.
    It sounds like you're handling it like a bad ass though.
    I've been drinking too much in order to be able to sleep. I just feel like they're coming for me and there's nothing I can do about it. My landlord has not told me if she's willing to spray yet. I hope she does.
    Here's my story if you want a distraction from yours. Sorry about all the swearing, I do it too much when I'm stressed out:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bat-bugs-in-my-new-apartment?replies=6#post-247306

I'm sorry, I really am; but I just caught myself chuckling at a mental vision of drunken bed bugs staggering around.

Richard

13. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 7 2016 10:01:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 
    Did the new PCO treat the entire apartment? It's not normal to just treat a single bedroom or even that and the living room. Bed bugs migrate and in a year this is likely in my understanding. Others may be bitten and not react.
    Don't lose hope. The PCO should follow up at 2 week intervals until they're gone, and the landlord should keep getting attached neighbors (attached to any affected unit) inspected.

Yes, the new PCO said they treated the whole apt. The last treatment from the first PCO did as well. They next follow up is this Saturday. I haven't seen a live bug but I've found two skin casings. I'm hoping there's only a few left to eradicate because we got rid of everything from the infected room. The mattress and spring box was the number one source. Since the other adjacent units got treatment as well for bed bugs since they were found they are due for a follow up as well.

Never have I ever detested an insect so much.

14. Montrealer2

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 5:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, DamnBB, and sorry for all the hell you're going through.
    I have nothing much to add other than support, to let you know that there will come a day when you'll stop seeing bugs, casings, eggs, fecals, etc. (not sure how long until you look for hours, expecting to see them, though ).
    And I agree, of course, with NoBugs - as long as your PCO returns at definite (and short) intervals to respray your place and all the apartments that have been affected, as well as to inspect the ones that claim not to have been affected, then you can somewhat relax and wait for this ordeal to be over.
    Feeling anxious, overwhelmed, victimized, exhausted, angry, helpless and vengeful, by the way, are all perfectly normal. Even when experienced all at once - kickboxing, ranting to friends, video games, and random growling helps.
    Updates?

15. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 7 2016 15:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

This is my update!

I had to step away from this forum because I was on it every day, checking new posts, and I realized it wasn't really helping me. I had been so anxious, restless, terrified that constantly worrying and reading about bed bugs and looking at their nasty little pictures was in fact making things worse.

My last treatment with the second exterminator was about 3 and a half weeks ago. I had found a young bed bug in one of the interceptors in my bed room. It was dead. I showed the guy when he came the next day to do the second treatment and he said as long as it's dead, I shouldn't worry. I had found a dead one in the kitchen and another in the bathroom a few days before too. Anyway, I haven't had any bites since or seen any live ones. The last live one I saw was about a month ago as it was going up my bedroom wall. Of course, I killed it. As for my neighbors, everyone adjacent to my apartment also got a treatment since they had activity. They, too, haven't seen any since their last treatments. So I am hoping that this ordeal is either done or almost over. Considering I haven't seen any I am hoping it's over. It's still pretty hard for me to stay in my room. I've been sleeping in my dad's room and my dad has been sleeping in my room (LOL, I'm crazy, I know) and I have yet to be able to sit on my couches. But I am feeling a little more comfortable in this place again. All the clothes are still in air tight bags except for the ones we have been using for the week. I launder everything every week and still dry the hell out of them

I didn't think I'd survive, it's always extremely difficult in the beginning. But, I am super thankful for this forum, it's users and advice. I don't think I would've made it through without help.

16. Montrealer2

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Aug 10 2016 12:19:13
    #

Login to Send PM

A hearty "right on!" to you, damnbb! May the only BBs you see from here on be either dead or in pictures taken far, far away.

17. OpenMyEyes

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 12 2016 15:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope this is the end of the road for you and these damn BBs!!!

18. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 20:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

So another quick update...

The room where the infestation started is finally getting "remodeled"
    My dad has finished painting, hes vacuumed and swept. Not mopped yet cause he got pain on the floors so he's looking for something to take the paint off and give the wooden floors a fresh look. I've gone in a few times but can't find myself staying there more than 5 minutes lol.

I'm still sleeping in his bed and he's still sleeping in mine. Once that room is ready though he's going to move his stuff there so I think I need to start getting ready to go back to my room. I've yet to sit on the couch even though they told me the infestation on the couch was small. But I can still remember the day I was laying down and moved my head only to stare at one walk by my face a few inches away.........

That being said, I haven't vacuumed the couch because of the cimexa dust they had put there from the last treatment. Today, I decided to search for any activity. Only thing I found was the fecal stains shown to me by the second PCO and right by it was a skin molt. My heart sank for a bit. So I inspected the entire couch but I could not find anything new besides that skin molt. Should I be worried? I still haven't found a live bed bug since 2 months ago. I'm still bite free. Except the one bite I got but I think I got it from work or outside work.

I know I'm still super paranoid but I can't go through this bed bug deal again. It's a terrible thing to go through.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 23:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding from experts is that cast skins can be moved around easily (because they're so light)-- it's possible the cast skin is from a while back.

20. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 23:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugsonme! That gives me some relief.

21. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 2:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your story! I'm at the beginning stage - still waiting to get a PCO out after the weekend. I'm worried about adjacent apartments being affected, but my landlord isn't being super helpful. No BB specific law in California right now, so it all gets put on the tenant. But I can barely afford to treat my own apartment, let alone my neighbors. anyway, it's nice to hear about the light at the end of the tunnel!

22. damnbb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 13:47:08
    #

Login to Send PM

You will get through this! In the beginning when I was reading the happy endings I was distraught because I just wanted to get to that part lol. But it takes time and patience. But it does get better and they eventually will be gone completely. I wish you the best in this! It's not impossible that's the good news.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,596 posts in 43,507 topics over 131 months by 19,061 of 19,650 members. Latest: lexie0490, onyva, Ruth989