(6 posts)
  1. Lalacosta89

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 15:25:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I started having suspicions about bb just about a month ago. Last night, I discovered an infestation in my mother's home. A dozen or more bb were found in/on/around her living room furniture. We found adults and nymphs. I am absolutely 110% sure they were bb. There is no question there. Today, more have been found in other locations of her home.

My first question is if heat treatment (professional heating up entire home) works. Is it one of the better options? Does it need to be used in conjunction with other methods? She is considering trying to treat the infestation herself with IPM. Is this even feasible?

Here is the second part of my issue. She regularly cares for my children while I work. There has been plenty of items exchanged between her home and mine (bags, clothing etc). We are in and out of her home daily. I have been searching my furniture and bedding for weeks, before any of this came up, and have not found one clue that I have an infestation. Still, I find it highly unlikely they haven't made it into my home.

I have already purchased climb-ups, but currently only have them under my bed. I figured it would be appropriate to order mattress and pillow encasements for all beds in our house. Would it be ok for me to treat the house with pesticides/vacuuming/heat myself as a safeguard? In regards to heat, I considered purchasing a packtite or something similar. But I do not want to wait until I see them in my home. If a low-level population is there, what can I do to get a jump on it? Is it absolutely necessary to call a PCO?

Finally, the question of reducing transmission from moms house to mine. My idea was to have separate sealed clothes and shoes ready when I pick them up after work. They can strip completely down, put on clean clothes, and I will immediately seal "dirty"to be laundered or heated asap.

Thank you for your patience to read this. All suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 18:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

OK so I'm going to try to answer your questions.I'm not a professional but have dealt with bed bugs off and on for over 3 years.Yes a heat treatment works.I've had it done and although I did have to repeat it twice it did take care of my bed bugs.There is a lot of prep work to do before hand and its very important to do all the work right or the heat treatment could fail.If you guys are seeing that many bugs in your moms house then I would call in professional help.Lots of people who try to take care of it themselves end up making the bug problem worse.If you havent already caught bed bugs from your mom I would be very shocked...Sometimes it takes a min to notice that you really have them.Taking steps now is the best thing.You should go buy Cimexa dust and put it all around your house. I would also buy incasements for all the beds and pillows.From this point forward I wouldnt take anything else from your mothers house.Also I would get some store spray for bed bugs called Bedlam and treat your car.It may not be needed since its summer time..The car would get to hot for the bugs to live.I pray you havent caught them from your mother.When my kids come home from school or anyones house I make them strip out back of my house and then I put the dirty clothes in a bag and wash my dry them.Also make sure that their shoes are not coming in the house either.

3. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 18:10:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you and your mom live in houses,trailers or apartments...

4. bbmom

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 0:15:37
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to hire a professional asap, heat treatment is not as invasive to your life as regular treatment where they make you bag all your belongings like you are moving out and heat treat them yourself and keep everything bagged for weeks or months. It's a horrible experience and if you have access to get a heat treatment done professionally, this is what I recommend.

I also recommend K9 inspection of your own place if you want to make sure you don't have the bugs, even though we may have been victims of false positive K9, where the dog alerted but there are no signs of bugs or bites or their traces anywhere anyone can find. We were told to pack our entire apartment and treat it. I do feel like K9 negative inspection would give me a peace of mind, because it far more unlikely to have bugs when K9 confirms it negative than if you just don't find any signs with inspection, bugs hide very well. K9 negatives are not as likely, although I am sure not impossible.

I hope you don't have infestation, GL!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 14:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Heat treatment can work but most providers now use sprays or dusts in addition because bed bugs can survive. It costs more and people are often surprised that it's not reliably 100% effective in one shot as marketing often suggests.

Traditional treatments (which may include steam, residual sprays and dust) can be very effective if done properly. They often cost a lot less.

I'd look for the company that seems to know the most about bed bugs, regardless of method.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Lalacosta89

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 19:16:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 1 day ago  » 
    Do you and your mom live in houses,trailers or apartments...

I live in a trailer. She lives in a small, ranch style house.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,881 posts in 43,563 topics over 131 months by 19,079 of 19,673 members. Latest: amanda017, sircoolkeen, skale