New Bites (New People)

(35 posts)
  1. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 18:46:56
    #

Login to Send PM

What advice would you guys (who usually give advice) give to the new people and to the people who are reading but not writing or introducing themselves in a new thread with a title for the thread?

Some of this is in the “Green Stickies” But I’m thinking a lot of people just don’t seem to read or follow what’s in those “Green Stickies.” as helpful as they are.

A) Read and understand the well thought-out FAQS. (All of them … They are on the front page of the blog).

B) Start a new thread, introducing yourself, with an appropriate title—sometimes your assumed name is best to use for the sake of clarity, and answer as many questions about your bed bug situation as you possibly can, in your introduction: You can do this by clicking on the “tales of woe hyperlink” and clicking on the Start New Topic.

Can you answer these questions or most of them for us?

How long, how many bites, how many do you think you have? How do you react to the bites (eveyone's different). Describe your recent traveling history say over the past four months--and your living situation, i.e. how many roommates social status i.e. lots of friends over all the time … or hardly anyone ever visits. Are you a senior disabled—all of that stuff is important. And--are you dwelling in an apartment? Are you out in the country in a stucco ranch? Are you in subsidized/ crowded government housing? Do you have children? If so how many and what ages?

All of this is IMPORTANT stuff--believe it or not--it is!

How did you or do you think you got the bugs (and this last part is the least important unless you can definitely pin point it--fact is you probably can’t so don’t dwell on this too much if you can help it). Then I’d say definitely start a new tread and tell us about your tale of woe regarding bed bugs as per outlined above.

C) Give a history of the PCO and treatments already used if this is so—or tell us of your plans for a PCO or ask your questions about PCO’s and bed bugs.
    But remember--the FAQS are important and extensive. Bed bugs and treatment of them--is not like any old house-pest like a cockroach.

D) The sooner you start talking--the less those bugs will be biting and multiplying, if that’s what you have—you may be lucky enough to find out you have something else!

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 19:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, but if someone is intimidated by your list, Willow, I hope they still post their questions. We are here for the disoriented and sleep-deprived who can't put a decent sentence together too... Right?

3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 19:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

RIGHT! That's why it is a group list of ideas. Very good point Miss nomo! We don't want to scare people away ... They are posting completely anonymously here too!
    Nomo--it is upsetting (and a bit confusing) to try and help someone who has been reading for a month or more and yet doing nothing but allowing the bugs to continue to set up shop in their homes. So I want to make sure they know they don't have to post right away, but if they "do stuff" it would be "good" if they at least kept a record of it.

But a PCO WHO KNOWS ABOUT BED BUGS is recommended first right?

I've got/had bed bugs and I'm a proud member of this blog!
    (At first I was a bit tired and shy--thanks!)

4. u2dan

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 19:49:28
    #

Login to Send PM

My advice is .....the very very first thing you do is find a good PCO, telll them the situation and ask what you should do. do NTO try to do anythign on your own, especially in the freaked out state of mind you are probably in.

They will tell you what to do to prepare and then that is what you should do, do not attempt anything on your own.

The next most..MOST important thing is to visit us here often ...if i didnt find this then i would have been a worse wreck than i was.

Its rough, and you need to be tough and read all of the FAQs on this website etc.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 20:49:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Dan,
    If people read the FAQs, they will be told to get a good PCO and follow their advice. Right away.
    If people don't read the FAQs and come to the forums instead, I hope they find people telling them to do just that.
    The forums can really support people as they do what they need to do, have questions, or are freaking out (which goes on for ages, for most of us). But for basic information, best to start with the FAQs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 22:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I just thought of something, Willow; something you said about first recommending a PCO.

I think that people who don't have a PCO, for whatever reason, can and should also post here, of course, for support, to ask questions, whatever. And not having or intending to hire a PCO should not stop anyone who needs this site. It's just that, naturally, a tolerance for being advised to get a PCO will be necessary! You can visit a church for the architecture or the peace and quiet, but if you stick around long enough, a certain subject will come up.

7. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 23:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I really like this thread. I have not had a PCO yet. Yet is a very large word, and I did hear a lot about it when I arrived. Don't let it put you off folks--expect it, and I DO recommend it too!
    However it is also just as true that we are still here for support, for other things too--including suggestions on what's a good PCO if you’re still confused. That is mostly in the FAQS ... but discussion is very, very welcomed here pre-PC) or even having no PCO as in my case, (yet) and a few others.
    Nomo--your so caring to think of all of this, I was expecting a list from A-Z but this is so much better, (as in "new-bites" that's what we call you --you know ... We don't really bite, at least not nearly deep enough to draw any blood.
    What the hell if you'd feel better by posting in the off topic and silly thread--even that is cool. The idea is I want you to post as soon as you’re able, anywhere, but especially in as direct and pointed manner as you can when you first do start posting. (This in itself may often require a need to read some threads and the FAQS.)
    It's all O.K. I don’t mean to come-off as any kind of a MAJOR control freak--but you will get much better suggestions which will save you hours and hours in being misdirected if you can sort of come off in a somewhat factual way with some answers to the kinds of things that will lead us into better suggestions.
    Sleep tight everyone.
    Willow

8. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun May 27 2007 23:07:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I so so like this thread! I have not had a PCO yet. and the word "yet" is a very large word. I did hear a lot about it when I arrived.
    Don't let it put you off folks--expect it and I DO recommend it too! However, it is also just as true that we are still here for support, for other things too--including suggestions on what's a good PCO if you’re still confused. That is mostly in the FAQS ... but discussion is very, very welcomed here pre-PCO or having even no PCO as in my case, (yet). Nomo--you are so caring to think of all of this, as; when I starte this post I sort of was was expecting a list from A-Z but this is so much better, (as in "new-bites" that's what we call you --you know ... we don't really bite). Not nearly deep enough to draw blood anyway.
    The first idea for this thread was with YOU in mind--as are all of the ocments thus foar.
    I want you to post as soon as you’re able, anywhere, but especially in an as direct and pointed manner as you can when you first do start posting. (This in itself may often require a need to read some threads and the FAQS.)
    It's all O.K. I don’t mean to come-off as any kind of a MAJOR control freak--but you will get much better suggestions which will save you hours and hours in being misdirected, if you can sort of come off in a somewhat factual way with some answers to the kinds of things that will lead us into better suggestions for you--see my a) b) c) d) above. Also pets.. Do you have pets? let us know we have a few avid dog lover's here too!
    Sleep tight everyone.
    Willow

9. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 9:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok new bites need to be told to isolate their vacuum cleaners in double plastic 100% ALSO. Also double plastic wrap, seal the bag when disposing, and figure out a way to empty and wash the canister type responsibly. (I dumped mine carefully over a tub of very hot water and added more hot water--let is sit for a few hours then strained off the goop on top to prevent the tub from clogging.)
    Some say to spray the inside of the canister with 91% alcohol until saturated and let dry again say 1 hour before reusing. These bugs will walk right out of a vacuum! We do not want all of your hard work to ... NOT ... go down the drain or die entombed.

10. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 10:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If one cannot provide proof of a bedbug infestation since it may be in the early stage then what do you do? I can't call a PCO because mine won't treat until there is proof. I see ads at the top of this page for "do it yourself" bed bug elimination. That is confusing to me. So one should just diligently clean, try to look through everything, search for signs, etc. but just wait until the infestation multiplies to the point of seeing the infestation? By that time its too late. I don't want to do anything to make it worse but just sitting a waiting is difficult. If that is what I am supposed to do then I will. I don't want to make is worse.

QUESTION: If dwelling in a Single Family Residence, logically I would think that you could attempt to treat those rooms that are not occupied, try to stay only certain areas of the house (i.e. your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and family room) Leave those untreated but continue to clean, etc. Wouldn't that draw them to those areas a bit quicker? Or is that just wishful thinking?

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 11:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Kitty,

Don't sleep somewhere different, or have others do so. Carry on as usual. Any rooms you spend time sleeping or sitting in are potential problems--and you were in a hotel, right? So where's your suitcase and other stuff you brought home?

As far as PCOs go, I think if you tell them you were bitten in a hotel, came home, and are still receiving bites, lots of PCOS will treat, since receiving bites is a sign. Yes, those of us who did not get bitten in a hotel and then come home often get the runaround from PCOs who technically are not supposed to treat without hard evidence. But the chain of events in your case provides a kind of evidence. Call some PCOS and explain and I am sure one of them will treat. Others with similar stories have found this to be true.

Please read the FAQs on doing your own pest control
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs/

12. caliokitty

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2007 12:59:45
    #

Login to Send PM

We are all still sleeping in the same bedroom. Before I knew what I was dealing with the suitcases were put in our bedroom, unpacked, clothes washed (I just rewashed them and bagged them the other day). Suitcases were put in an adjacent bedroom which they are now sealed very tightly and put in a tub. I have not been bitten since I have been home, its been 15 days now. But I don't want to take any chances. I will read the FAQ on doing my own pest control. I certainly don't want to make it worse.

13. ofallthebeds

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2007 23:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new... I am here.. and gosh darn it... I am bitten! So... I finally found what I am looking for... a bug... I am waiting to let my landlord know (not home yet!)... I knew it had to be something because I have not heard any buzzing from mosquitoes... and my Dermatologist swears it is fleas... and I now have proof!

Well... here is a quick intro... I am live in San Francisco, CA. I am on the bottom floor of a 2 story buildng. Live alone, no pets.. just me and my belongings... wich I started throwing out before I found the culprit! There are three units total. I am scared and can't sleep... I don't even want to be here, but I know... I need to brave it and stay in my bed:( My anxiety level is so bad I can't function. I have not a clue where they came from.

I will go now and post under the tales of woe section. I am so happy tohave found this site... makes me feel liek I am not alone... I don't want to tell people... I am afraid at how they will react...

14. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2007 14:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

What is cool about this particular thread is that it can be read and updated by anyone ... Hopefully … the name of the thread will steer many NEW BITES to it: [(The title being:
    "New Bites (New people)” a sort of a good tip off as to what this thread is about.)]

Right now in the forums, there are some questions about sleeping elsewhere In the space—or vacating it altogether.
    This is generally not a good idea, to sleep elsewhere, in the place or elsewhere’s altogether. This is so, for many reasons, I would not do it, and until you have wracked your brains and have been able, to create nearly “fail-safe plans,” then I say to you all--I’d rather see you stay and read more and Plan on how you can stay and fight—AND WIN!
    I say “nearly fail-safe” because our best efforts--even after learning about the interesting differences bed bugs and other house-hold pests present: is all the best we can offer

Reading for several hours, here,
    IS A STRONG SUGGESTION I make.

Read the FAQS then read the forums—in that order.

Struck by bed bugs most often causes a myriad of emotional or even panicky feelings:
    So …what I’m advising here … may take some effort for some new bites to sort of “pull yourself together” then post a more detailed and purposeful thread.

As an example I will use my story, as if it was a (I wish I had) posted on bedbugger this—in stead of sort of being all over the map.(Which is what I was--and so, too, are many of our "new bites").
    But it is now being written with the 20-20 hind-sight of many mistakes and things most of us would easily overlook.
    So even if my story may bore you—it still should be a great read:
    PS--I've been a bit busy, and so, it may be a day or two before I get it written.

15. coqibug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2007 2:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

ok folks, it's me Coqibug and please help me get some sleep. I am hping with all my heart that the treatment the pco did on Thurday last week should have nailed anything alive, yes and please maybe eggs have not hatched just yet. I know, i realllly do, that I have to be the bait, cause my hubby has not a single bite, but I am seriously scared that I will awake and find one on me and so help me if that happens, well lets just say it will not be pretty!
    I have bagged literally everything in here other than th ecouch, love-seat, 2 lamps, coffee table, and dining table and the computer. Our bed is bagged, th epillows are bagged i've laundered sheets, blanket everyday, i panicked and tossed all our linens and bought new on thursday and hell i'll have them worn out washin them but i don't care, i will do what i can do. i vacuum daily, wash floors, thank god we have laminate throughout, and use kleen free, alll clothes, and shoes, boots, i mean everyhting is in a zip loc bag. have i done enough, please tell me if i've missed something, cause i am losing it and i want to sleep.
    thanks all!

16. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2007 6:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm... washing floors? Does your PCO know about that? Aren't you washing away the pesticides? Even vacuuming, you have to ask them if it's ok. Most will say yes, but some will want you to wait a bit before you do.

Nobugs stresses this in the FAQs, if you have read them, not to sabotage the treatment without knowing what you are doing. I realize you may have read of others here who are doing that, but maybe they had a different protocol.

Just a thought.

17. coqibug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2007 8:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

i only wash up to the edge of where the residual is, not touching it and my pco knows what I am doing. I also do not vacuum over it either. But I did get 2 hours of sleep, though it was drug induced, Ativan.

18. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2007 8:48:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Coqibug..are you using any DE? My bites were more obvious when I took a hot shower in the morning...for some reason they really" came to the surface"....I remember those days of only getting 2 hrs of sleep...the anxiety...its a very common reaction so don't think you are alone. I am now and never was, a drug taker...but when the bugs hit...I went to the Dr. to get some anti anxiety medication...I had to...anything that helps you get thru this, within reason.....so again..are you using any DE?? Is your PCO being helpful??? Deb

19. coqibug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 18 2007 9:20:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Deb, my pco is being helpful. I am not using DE because I have a dog. now I do know I would need to get DE food grade. I wanted to seal the edge of where the floors meet the walls but I have a floating wood floor and so I am wondering what I could use that will not crack or seperate every time we walk on floor. I would feel so much better if I could do that. I am having the pco recheck each unit that is in contact with mine. This just seems such an important step. Don't know how to handle it if someone has them and doesn't want to use pco.
    My bites burned something wicked when hot water got near them. Coqi.

20. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 13:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

coqibug: sounds like you are being very reasonable and working well with a PCO. a
    little prescribed ativan goes a long way when we've had no sleep. It was in February that I found my bugs and I have not seen any for about five months now. They can be rid of! It DOES takes time effort and sometimes a little ativan. I itched all over for almost a month at one point--and slept little for three months but there is a light at the end of the tunnle: still ... I remain watchful and I check my bed every few weeks now, as I am in a hotel. In these types of closer dwellings bed bugs easily get into the walls and whatnot and infest neighbors--or you.
    good luck to you
    leave no stone (or piece of furniture unturned and double checked)
    Willow

21. coqibug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 13:26:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow,
    I am so fearful, I have seen nothing since the day i found the one and the nymphs. Our couch and loveseat are huge overstuffed pieces and I have no idea how to inspect those. the bottom cushions are removable and I can take those off. I have poor eyesight and know I would never be able to spot an egg. I am beside myslf. Our place is void of anything now other than the couch, loveseat and bed and computer desk. I feel like I'm living in a wasteland.
    I hate whining.
    Depressed Coqi

22. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 14:22:02
    #

Login to Send PM

it can be very scary! Yes! (We are allowed to whine here to a degree--it is even helpful to a degree.) True ... there really is no point in looking for an egg (most of the time--if it is in furniture). I suggest you just keep reading all you can and keep up with the PCO and you'll figure things out: for instance ... a PRE-HEATED drier
    (like a large commercial one) would likely kill all eggs and bugs on the coushions if you ran it for about an hour: the coushions can be dry and it is probably better you not wash them first. the bad news is the coushions may shrink a bit, and you'd have to put them carefully into plastic and use fresh plastic when you bring them home from the laundryomat during transport.
    But that is no gaurtentee there are not still bugs in the rest of the furniture--AND ... there may not be any bugs in the furniture at all! I just don't know about your story. They say expensive steamers help--especially with overstuffed furniture--but if you are using a PCO (and you should be)you would have to check things out with them first. They have some poisons like bedlam (I beleive one of them is called) and there are contact killers and other sprays and the like that you can buy online. So long as you are working, in tantem, with the PCO's knowlage and her/his approval.

A good way to de-infest furniture is to put a thin ring of DE on the floor all around the furniture--say. like a foot or 18 inches wide ... Always use fresh water DE goggles and a good dust mask! Without question you must do that carefully. It flies up into the air like light smoke and is easily inhaled by kids animals and the person applying it. If there are animals in the house--they have to be kept away from the DE.

Then you sit NEAR the furniture in question--but not on it. In three or four weeks most bugs SHOULD be out of the furniture, or weakened to some degree anyway--this would help too. But you must not sit on that furniture yet you must stay near to it, to "draw the bugs out" of it. This really cva ntake weeks! As in a month!
    You ARE THE BAIT... but you DON'T want to get bit!
    I threw away almost 2/3 of what I own--so it actually echoes in my place now. (I'm still whining a bit over that!)
    I got a cheap steamer (30.00) and I steamed the you know what--out of all the areas where I thought the bugs might be--but I did this repeatedly and I used a heater on it and lysol to reduce mold. (This was mostly in the corners of the room near the bed. If your eyesight is not that good--have someone else do it for you.
    AND--if you do use a steamer ... take your time ... keep it as close to the furniture or wall or rug as you can and take every precaution. (I did get a small, quater sized, burn.)
    We can take control of the situation:
    vaccuming: seal off the vaccume 100% and dispose of the vacuume bag after sealing 100%.
    Some cleaning companies will steam clean furniture using proffesional equipment: COIT is one company I know of here in SF. There are bound to be others--just make sure your PCO knows and approves of all of this a head of time.
    best wishes!
    willow

23. jstplntired

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 15:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello- I am newly bitten, too. We stayed in a hotel in NYC 3 mos ago, and although I *sort of* checked out our bags, I must have missed our little passengers. Of course, that may not be for sure where they came from, but that's my best guess. Doesn't matter now, I know.

All the advice here has been really, really helpful. I just found out my hot water wasn't quite hot enough, thank god I'm only 3 loads into the process.

I can totally empathize with the 'no sleep' problem... I was up (and sobbing) for two days before I finally got some rest last night- what a miracle sleep can be! Also, after reading other people's stories... I am so thankful we caught this now, and not in a few months. I just hope I haven't spread them unknowingly.... I found the first bug right before a big run to Goodwill to drop off stuff. It sucks to just throw it out, plus all the other stuff we're tossing, but them's the brakes.

I still feel itchy all the time, but at least I know it's just in my head. I can't thank the other posters enough for talking frankly about their responses to this problem. Honestly, I can't believe how much it bothers me. And I totally feel the social stigma... some friends I'm just not telling. Maybe once it's all resolved, I'll be brave enough.

Good luck to all, and to me too. (Can you wish yourself luck? I guess it can't hurt, right?)

24. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 16:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jstplntired, I'm sorry for what you're going through. I guess we've been discussing hot water temperatures for laundry in the context of people not having access to dryers. If you are washing and drying on hot, however, then there's no need to worry too much about the temperature of the washing machine. I mean, it's nice if your washing machine gets really hot, but it will work if you make sure to dry on hot per the laundry protocol discussed in the FAQs.

If it reassures you, in Michael Potter's dryer experiment it was 5 minutes at 175dF for no survival (adults, nymphs, eggs); in Richard Naylor's (University of Sheffield), it was 30 minutes on "hot"--at, apparently, a temperature between 40 and 45dC (104 to 113dF).

You'll be fine!

25. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 16:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Coqi, you are doing everything you can. In my opinion, you have an excellent chance to be rid of this problem very quickly. Why not reward yourself with a small break for all your hard effort? It is not unheard of for there to be marked improvement after the first treatment. Why not think of it as a good development? We had one bedbugger here who probably got rid of them the first time, even if she had subsequent treatments. The way this can happen is if the infestation is caught early and the bugs are not yet in several locations, i.e., they were all in the bed and they were all killed and the bed is now encased. It might be the end of it. Not saying it will be for sure, because most people do need those follow-up treatments, but you are doing very well.

You are doing great, actually, way better than a lot of others, and you've been working very hard. So, good job, ok? Soon this will be over.

26. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 18:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

we all must remember that wet clothing is cool and full loads of wet clothing in the drier should never occur--if your trying to kill bed bugs. A pre heated drier with a few socks in them with a few bed bugs in them in a pouch--that killed all bed bugs in 5 minutes As I recall the clothing was dry clothing too--not wet, they called it a normal load?
    So be sure and read the FAQ on laundry here--all.
    the kemaster had stated bone dry plus 20 minutes--that's what I did. Now we here bone dry plus 5. Likely that works too.

So we must never become confused and think 5 minutes in a drier will kill all stages of bed bugs--that likely isn't true under non-experimental conditions. Dry heat kills them more efficiently (quickly) but very hot washer water, as suggested above should do the trick as well too
    personally I say a few extra quaters is a very small price to pay.

27. gege

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 20:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

hey i'm new on this thread, i need some help, i cannot stand those bedbugs, they driving me nuts , i cannot sleep and i have a one year old baby. i had a PCO once but he did a bad job , and i still have them i need help!! how can choose the right pco? i called this guy and he was charging me 50 bucks for each visit, i think it is way to cheap and they will come again. other company charged me 1050 to 1200 dollars, i do not even know what to do anymore, i am sleepless and tired. What is the role of the landlord in the treatment? does he have any responsability at all?Please those who had successful results with bedbugs PCO please help me , i need help!!
    thanks

28. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2007 23:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

We have FAQS about the landlord's responsibility, and about choosing a PCO. Please take a moment to read them. Click on the orange bug below.

29. Ru

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 13:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I am a new, sleep deprived person writing in here for the first time. It has taken me two weeks to collect enough evidence to think i may have bedbugs. I have not seen a living red-brown one yet moving anywhere, but i think i have a lot of nymphs crawling and biting and so far i have been able to collect about 3,4,5 or so nymphs invarious smashed up condition. The strongest magnifier i have is a 10x photo loupe and it helps but i wish i had a microscope. Anyway, i also found what i think are a few eggs and pale skin sheddings. The couple of nymphs i have picked off were in my scalp, on skin and on the sheets. Eggs were found on a freshly washed throw on the bed. I have a 12 lb dog and i do not want to injure him with treatments. In the last two weeks i did 2 sprayings of Pyrethrins with Piperonyl Butoxide. Numerous launderings... After the first spraying i had maybe one good night of sleep. I've been feeling a lot of crawling even in my armpits and crotch but anywhere there is soft skin, my sides, belly, back, neck, legs. I've felt bites that you could literally feel two jaws closing down on you, but a LOT of needle sensations. My bites are small reddish pin prick bumps like a small mosquito bite that itch intensely for about two days then go away. I've now started calling PCO's and hope to have one come to see me today. I've tried to read a lot of things here and am overwhelmed with what people are doing, the lists of steps and procedures seem endless, to the point of me feeling suicidal. At the age of 44 i have a TON of stuff too valuable to simply throw away. I'm a single woman living a very stressful life in a tough city. I'm not sure i can handle this too, after i have rebounded from so many other setbacks, this is just too much for a person to take. I know for a fact the nymphs have taken a ride in my clothing during the day if i don't soak myself in an epsom salt bath in the morning before work. I wonder if one of my co-workers has them too and brought them in to work.

30. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Ru, the most important thing and the first thing is to have the samples identified by someone who is qualified. A PCO, an extension agent, a museum, a local university's entomology department, etc.

Have the bugs identified and then proceed with treatment by a qualified PCO.

Biting sensations, crawling sensations, these are skin reactions and they're normal for people with bedbugs, but they could also be something else, like a medical condition that you need to have looked at, in the event the samples are not found to be bugs.

More often than not, feeling something crawling on you or biting you during the day does not mean that there is a bug crawling on you or biting you. The skin apparently has a limited range of reactions. That's why some medications and some illnesses cause similar types of reactions; it's as if the skin has a limited repertoire for neurological responses and you need to investigate the cause to be sure.

If you do feel any sensations, you can take a large piece of clear packing tape and press it on your skin to see what's there. Or a roll of lint removing tape.

If you follow the laundering protocol, you should not be carrying anything with you in your clothes when you go to work. Moreover, if it's bedbugs, they are just not equipped to hang on to your skin. They hide elsewhere. They could be in clothes you wear, but not if you take care to bag after laundering and dress immediately after showering, etc.

Good luck. Please have the samples identified and go from there. (The next step is an inspection of your apartment by a qualified PCO.)

It may not be bedbugs at all. You can also consult a doctor. And don't self-treat your apartment or your body until you know for sure what is happening. You could hurt yourself, make your skin reactions worse, or even cause any actual bugs that are there to spread.

Best...

31. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jul 21 2007 15:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

To all who wander onto this thread, it would perhaps be better if you started a new thread for a specific question (and titled the thread accordingly and even used a tag or two if you remember to).

This way, readers can know what you are writing about and will be more likely to find and respond to your posts.

Also, if the conversation yields information and responses that are useful, it will help others find it later if the responses are not scattered about.

Just a thought if you remember to do it. I know we're all stressed and don't get enough sleep.

32. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 21:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok I guess I'm on: I had said way up I'd post my story as an example of what I thought a good post from a new bite might be--this is so we can give you better advice which fits your situation best. Bed bugs act differently in each scenario.
    If you write something like it--please start a new thread of your own. This thread is to tell "new bites" how to post a good intro in their own thread and not in this one.--it is and was never intended for new bites to actually post in.
    oh well... here goes:

"Willow's first post, had he had a clue when he wound up here with all u nice folks"

Hi everyone, Willow here. I have never Blogged before and am very confused about that. Apologies offered and taken??? I am just so totally not understanding that the forums were down when I joined last week. I am hell-a-glad I did. I have had bed bugs for about two or three weeks. Seemed like suddenly there they all were. Bed bugs were, like all over and mostly in between the two mattresses all on the sides and on the zipper. The bed is a cheap metal futon. There was a whole bunch of bugs in my clothing in a walk-in too.

So far ... I have met so much resistance in getting the landlord to help or hire a PCO in any way--I had no choice but to do it myself. So, I'm already into self treatment--what the heck can I do about this problem?

I itch like mad and feel like bugs are biting me 24/7 = what's up with that?
    I itch--I look... yet there is no bug!
    This is more of what I did so far: I got pyrethrum laced, food grade DE and I am hearing from many that I grossly overused it! It's all over the floor (a dark green very low pile rug) so you may be right about that.
    Most of the bugs are dead. I think. I have broken a vacuume, bought another, and now it's about broken too! All my savings are shot.

I vaccumed them all off the mattress while simultaniously spraying them with r alcohol first, so I think I did right there ... But 2 OUT OF EVERY 10 GOT AWAY FROM ME. THEY LIKE DIVED OFF THE BED ... AND THEN THEY LIKE "MELTED" INTO THE RUG. SOME ARE LARGE SOME ARE SMALL.

They all look rather different. And the little one's SEEMED TO GET AWAY EASIER. I guess the bug spray they gave me did some, but not much good. Al it seemed to do was make the bugs quiver ... So I decided to use the DE i ordered on line. It came a few days ago.

The r alcohol I heard of was not strong enough. Then I saw/heard the 91% so I got that instead. It is flammable I know that--but what else am I to do?

Please help. I'm not having aNYBODY IN MY HOUSE NEVER EVER AGAIN!
    I've done all the laundry I can do and the bed isolation I did al a on my own left me flat broke!

I feel like I'll be evicted or something.
    I think others in the hotel have the bugs and feel the same way. nobody will say anything. isa this a bad Fellini movie?

Management here, is like next to evil or something. They glare at me ... They would not help. They gave me 2 cans of this stuff called clairmont, 10 bucks emergency laundry money. I've dropped about 250.00 cash so far. 've broken vacuumed on having used so much powder!

I also used the goggles and a dust mask I heard to use with the DE. I used so much. My lungs hurt. Bugs that were in the clothes in the closet all got soaked in hot soapy water in my tub. I soaked and I re-soaked until I thought nothing could survive. Yet, having put clothing on a rack inside the tub to dry--I discovered that there were 30--40 wet, flat grayish cast skins on the bathroom floor. All these bugs were mostly headed right back into the bedroom ... My el-cheapo laundry solution faild, I guess. I just have no money right now.

You guys are talking about huge zip lock baggies??? HUH? Never saw or heard of them!
    Where can I get them? Why would I need them? I was told by management to either wash or to throw m stuff away!
    As soon as I get some money I will do the laundry FAQ. as I can again as for now--it is the bathub.

I am in a single room only SRO Hotel in SF. I am semi-disabled (bad back) I've gotten very little sleep in the past few weeks ... and now I think a few bugs were even spread into the neigbors, I told them as best I could but they don't speak English.
    I'm so scared ... I like puked five times the first few days of this. And so thank God this is all anonymous Anyway .... I have not a clue ....
    If this is too confusing, I'm sorry. I'm wound tight like a big knot! I can't stop thinkig foul play.
    Sorry ... but my spell check and my brain both seem to be on "permenantly broken cycle" right now.

33. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 26 2007 22:07:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Please close this thread to new responses ...and I'll never sing like that in here again

Love to all ...
    Willow

34. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2007 19:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad this has not been closed just yet: I can post as a "Re-bite"

This is not what I should have said the first time: a FEW POSTS UP--this is what I'm saying now, as a "re-bite," and one with almost 6 dilligent months behind me, most of what I know I got from bedbuggerdotcom people and key master NOBUGSONME and linked sites--especially the encyclopedias’, and especially L.SORKIN, S. Rollo and R. Cooper. AND POTTER--All of the latter are ENTOMOLOISTS OF GOOD and FINE DISTINCTION
    And we can’t leave out Winston O. Buggy whomever you may be.
    Hi My name is Willow 50 y.o. (almost) semi disabled Nurse, Oil Painter who lives in a top corner SRO (single room only) HUD based, Not for profit run corp., with a Christian Bent to it all. I'm reporting back in, with bed bugs AAGAIN! I have not painted in 5 months and I hate that! My life has been all too consumed by these blood sucking vampires!

Maybe a few bites in the last week, some very small dark flat black/drk.brown pepper flakes (likely nymph Pooh) and a few antennae on the bed have lead to this positive re-self-diagnosis for my living space. No itching really--not like last time, so I doubt there are many--YET.

I ordered a tent and will self-treat again with many tools; 91% r. alcohol. as a cheap somewhat staining contact killer that is flammable, Pyrethrum laced and enhanced Fresh water DE--only kind we should use, perhaps some steam for isolating the bed and re do the legs of my bed in moat and mineral oil style. I fear a possible or an impending inner metal tube infestation(s) in the legs. Could be up to four technically—I doubt it.
    No evidence as of yet found there. This is just safer--and I skipped it the first time.
    I had only used Vaseline and some carpet tape before. I think that was ok.
    I want to cordon-off that to keep it from happening by using metal bowls and moat of mineral oil.
    I'llalso now again start my more stringent protocols based on the laundry and bed isolation techniques—mine are not covers—it is thick plastic. That will not change. Nothing wrong with either so long as its impenetrable and 100%.
    Since I don’t know the exact ideology==donno+donno.
    in my laundry and cloth and bed isolation techniques and practices, as per the FAQS, I was--in the past infestation often perhaps bordering on overkill--so this is not a laundry issue. this is a small infestation of unknown etiology. It may also in part--be fleas!

I got a tent--(it will arrive in a week or so) and I left a thread open for that topic.

It is a bed bug tent.

I'm not just volunteering to test it out I think it is a good deal for many sufferers--maybe not all. Let's see what MY experience is... with it.
    (We have another poster who mentioned he/she was in a tent too! Theirs is a “plastic” Not a specific bed bug tent. I hope they report in. So far and last, I heard … they had 2 or 3 blissful nights of bed bug sleep a few night ago.
    The tent they had--had DEET ON IT.
    I had had a few reservations about that--for my case. And, knowing what I know about the spread of a hungry bed bug--repel a hungry bed bug and it may run too far! Right into the neighbors’ or next room.
    Bad idea. It’s kids will come back to haunt me. This is a good possibile ideology of my new “””light””” infestation. I doubt more than 20 bugs are here.

I think the neighbors are under handedly self-treating. I should have been notified by law, so I’ve read? Not sure though.
    But as I understand it--I have to skip the law for now, as I can't cope with it.
    My bck is still killing me; my lifestyle has not changed little company in—live in a bed bug infested area and building—shame is heaped high (whenever possible due, undue or otherwise)—As I have no pets no S/O no children visiting, in that respect, I’m “better off” bug wize than many.

That—is a “re-bite’s take on what is happening now in his abode.
    I like this type of a post from “new bites”. Look at all you learned and how you could help me. Coming on and asking a few poison Q’s does not help you or us—we volunteers.
    Bed bugs—we learn as we go. And how you say hello here is extremely important for the infestation you have and the advice you’ll get.leave your ego's out of it--period. It is all anonymous!
    Cheers,

Willow
    Can we not post in this thread anymore Please andleave it as is????

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 9:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow,

If I close the thread, you can still read it. I think that's what you're asking. But it really is better if people start their own threads for specific purposes.

And I think it's best not to re-activate old threads unless we have something that ADDS to that old conversation. This one is perhaps too general to be useful long term, though it was when it started.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

190,460 posts in 29,269 topics over 90 months by 12,626 of 19,871 members. Latest: stanton, advisemeplease, litetide