Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

New Bite primer (my 5,000th post)

(43 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 9:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug Bites

Preface

It is important to understand that the variables involved in the development of a bite response are vast and many. Therefore it is really not possible to diagnose an infestation of bedbugs from bite symptoms / morphology alone. This document aims to outline a few of the variables that have been seen in recent years. It must also be stressed that not every bite you have will defiantly be from a bedbug, if you get a single lone bite and nothing for months and months it may just be a something unrelated to bedbugs.

Common myths

The most common myth with bedbugs is that they always produce 3 bites in a row, often called breakfast, dinner and lunch. While this does occur with some people it is not the case with all people who respond and is therefore not an accurate diagnostic of bedbug activity. Other insects which are known to often bite in rows include fleas.

Bedbugs also feed every 3 – 7 days so if you go longer than this between activity it is a reasonable indication that bedbugs may not be the cause. Some people assume that because bedbugs can go long periods of time without feeding that they will do so in an occupied room, this is not the case and when food is available bedbugs will always take the opportunity to feed.

Will you react at all?

Some people never respond to the bites, they can live unaware of the fact that they have bedbugs until they seen one or find the signs that they have been present. It is believed that this figure is as high as 60% of all exposed people and accounts for the main reason why some people seem to get bitten while a partner in the same bed is bite free.

This is the most common reason for an infestation going undetected in a hotel room, if no-one complains it may not get detected for a very long time.

When will you respond?

Some people respond immediately upon contact with a bedbug while others can take up to 14 – 21 days to develop a reaction. This is very much a factor of your own immune system and if your body perceives it as a threat. It is not uncommon for someone to respond quickly after a previous encounter with bedbugs as the body learns that bite response can be a good early warning signal. The more severe the reaction to bedbugs the faster the response will occur.

Are some bites more severe?

Yes some people have an extreme reaction to bedbugs and develop what is termed a bullous eruption, a severe reaction which swells and appears to be like a blister while others report nothing more than a red area that fades after a few minutes. You may also find that you skin responds differently in different parts of the body, as a rule try to avoid bites on the hands, feet and face as they tend to react the most. If you develop bites that develop into blisters within a few minutes seek medical attention immediately.

IMG_5118opti

Sometimes the bites itch and sometimes they don’t, why is that?

Again our bodies respond in different ways at different times. Bites are more likely to itch if you are over heated such as in a warm bath or shower, during exercise or in a warm car. They can also itch more if your skin is dry or exposed to harsh conditions. You should avoid over chlorinated water such as swimming pools and body lotions with alcohol in them.

It is not uncommon for people to report increased itching after an encounter with bedbugs; the skin just seems to become more sensitive to things.

How long will a bite last?

The duration of a bite will depend mainly on your body’s ability to heal itself; if a cut or nick would heal quickly then you are more likely to have bites that clear quickly. If you scratch a bite then it effectively becomes an open wound on your skin and is susceptible to secondary infections, if left unscratched a bedbug bite from a normal reaction will usually heal without an scaring. If you have bullous / blister type reactions seek medical attention as soon as possible.

IMG_7916

Does the environment play a role?

Yes it can play a significant role. The more polluted the environment the more likely you are to react to bites. This is because a bite is basically a small puncture wound in the skin, just the same as a cut or scratch will react more in a polluted environment due to your body’s immune response the same will occur with a bite. It has even been reported by numerous people that a change in environment or regular travel pattern has coincided with a sudden response to bites and the uncovering of some advances infestations.

Is stress a factor?

Yes the more stress you are under the more likely you are to respond to bites. It’s really your body’s way of telling you mind that something is wrong and that you need to stop and look for the cause of the problem. Although it is difficult to not obsess over bedbugs when you have a problem but it can play a massive role in some peoples infestations.

I know I don’t have bedbugs but I keep getting bites

It may be that your body is still reacting to something in the environment or it could be that something else is actually causing the problem. Some people with prolonged exposure to bedbugs develop a sensitivity to the material that makes up their skins, chitin. As this is a common component of most insect skins you can become hyper sensitive to it, almost as if your body wants an early warning signal for potential infestations. The problem is that this is a common material and can even be used as filler for food products and supplements (non insect derived of course) but taking products containing chitin can result in bite like reactions. It is also possible that other insects such as pscocids or carpet beetles can start a “bite like” reaction even though they do not generally walk on people and never bite people.

Pscocids - http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugseducationalpsocids.html
    Carpet Beetles - http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html
    Bird Mites - http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/birdmites.html

My old bites seem to flare up from time to time

Again environment, stress and many factors can result in an old bite flaring up. I have even seen some people just think about bedbugs and bites appear.

I have read about bites appearing in threes but I usually only get ones or two’s, why is that?

Although some people report the classic “breakfast, lunch and dinner” bite patterns it is not something that everyone gets. Although there is no scientific data on the subject it is safe to assume that if a bedbug is able to get enough food from a single piercing then it will not feed again and will return to its refugia to digest the meal. If it is unable to get a full meal due to blood clotting, difficult skin to penetrate or some other factor then it may need to pierce the skin again. In which case it is safe to assume that it is likely to bite again in a close cluster. In the numerous feeding experiments I have conducted I am yet to witness more than a single piercing event from a single bedbug during a feed.

IMG_7916

I sometimes feel a pin prick like sensation can that be bedbugs?

Generally people report that bedbug bites cannot be felt and it is certainly my experience from feeding in the lab in low numbers. However I have noticed that when I have spent time in heavily infested locations I often get a needling sensation on my skin for hours afterwards, I have also noticed it in properties where inappropriately high levels of insecticide have been applied or where layers of insecticide have been applied without any removal. It is unlikely that any prickling sensations are directly due to bedbugs but it can form part of your bodies early warning signs of them being present. In some exceptional circumstances people have used this response as a quick evaluation of if an area has bedbugs, it does not replace a thorough inspection but I have seen it used to encourage further inspection to eventually find samples.

After treating for bed bugs my skin felt a little “crawlie and tingley” why is that?

Some people who are more sensitive to chemicals report this as a symptom of exposure. This is one of the main reasons why appropriate protective equipment must be worn, especially with store bought products.

Prolonged feelings of things crawling on your skin can be a symptom of other medical conditions and should be discussed with a medical professional if it persists for more than a few days.
    One of the best documents to help diagnose mystery bites and skin reactions is Dr Potters guide to invisible itches:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/entfactpdf/ent58.pdf

How can I tell what type of reaction I get to bedbugs?

Although this is not something that we would recommend the only way to establish exactly what you reaction is involved performing a series of experiments comparing the difference between known bedbug bites on your skin and small punctures made with a blood sampling needle. You should not attempt this if you have a more aggressive or irritating bite response.

I keep getting bitten but can’t find any signs of bedbugs, why is that?

Unfortunately bites alone does not equate to bedbugs, there are far too many other things that could be an issue to think this way. If you keep getting bitten and can’t find any signs then you need to consider other possibilities. I would suggest that if you get to 20 bites a night or 50 bites in total and cannot find any faecal traces then it is unlikely to be bedbugs if you feel you have searched thoroughly everywhere.

The signs to look for are:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Slide3

Things that are known to make your bite reaction worse:

Getting over heated such as a hot bath, shower or exercise. If you need to maintain a good exercise regime switch to swimming in low chlorinated water and definitely not sea water.

Dry skin either through exposure to the elements or dry air, try to keep well moisturised and hydrated.

Excessive application of body creams that contain alcohol, strong colours or fragrances.
    Exposure to high levels of environmental pollution often associated with areas of high hydro carbon pollution such as air ports.

Summary

This is a working document; please do not repeat post elsewhere but link back to this page as I will continue to edit it as the source.

Please feel free to post comments or further questions below but please try to keep them related to this document, if you want to discuss your specific case please start a new thread to avoid your question being over looked.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 9:47:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Fantastic document/post. Thank you.

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 10:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David, and congratulations on your 5,000th post!

I have to reiterate your point that everyone reacts differently. For example, I have a reaction that I have not heard anyone else complaining of. Back when I was being bitten my bites were sizable, but not huge, and very circular. They did not itch at all, so I did not scratch them. However, I still scarred a bit. It's been since August, yet you can still see my old bite marks. They aren't hugely visible, except right after I get out of a hot shower. So there you all go.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 25 2012 23:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Additional photos in our FAQ on bed bug bites.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bugcrazy

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 17 2012 10:11:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I have noticed that since treatment my skin is even more reactive to certain synthetic fabrics (namely polyester), as well as, environmental changes (humidity, warmth, etc.).

6. hopenobugshere

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 26 2012 13:44:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a great summary, very organized. I've read it several times and didn't find anything about the experience that worries me and other people: having extreme bite reactions for a period of time (I had both welts and blisters, large, extremely itchy every 3-9 days over a 3-1/2 week period). Then in the 3 months since then just 2 instances of very small bumps (2 months apart). Out of 4 tiny bumps on the 2 separate occasions, only 2 were mildly itchy.

So, am I still getting bitten but no reaction, or was there one male bug that's bagged or dead ? This worries people who've had extermination----they feel they can't gauge whether the bugs are gone.

For me the change came after bagging mattress, 5 pillows, books, bedding, picture frames and laundry in the captain's bed and unit behind it. I went from 8/23 to 9/9 without bites showing and on 9/9 they were the 3 tiny bumps mentioned; one on each arm, one middle of back.

The exterminators I called said what you did: look for evidence. I've been searching ever since and found nothing. If I had a single bug it would be easy to miss unless it harbored in the same place 4 months--then there'd be poop, etc. (As I've mentioned, my apartment is also workplace--files, bks.)

If it multiplied into a whole colony I should have come across a bunch of evidence---nothing so far.

I was offline with internet problems for weeks so don't know if anyone answered my Q about whether there was a lab in the NYC area (NJ or CT OK if I can get there and back in one day by public transportation) where I could get bitten by bedbugs to check reaction. Can't find where I asked.

Your new summary is scary in that I had assumed it was one bug brought home from a lunch meet with a friend who told me he'd just had his third bedbug treatment. But you say my 2-4 bites per instance suggest more than one bug. I hadn't seen that mentioned before.

Continuing to search my apartment. Feel very isolated---carefully go out in public places, but not to homes or even coffee shop sit-downs with friends. I feel that's how I got "infected".

7. piglet171

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 5 2013 4:43:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I have 50+ bites all over my body. We were in an infested hotel room. The first bites appeared 2 days after being in the room. After that, more bites kept appearing daily in varying numbers. It is now 2 weeks since we were in the room and I cannot tell whether I am getting any new bites because I have so many. no visible signs of ugs at home.
    I wondered if anyone else had experienced bites appearing in varying numbers like this up to 2 weeks after exposure. I would have thought that bitten 50 times over 2 days=50 bites appearing over 2 days at a later date, but this has not been the case.
    It is the variable nature of the response that worries me.
    David? Anyone?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 5 2013 9:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The reality is that skin responses are driven by so many different factors including immunological and genetic as well as environmental. Some people will get an immediate bite response on a one bite one response basis while others have a multiplying effect be that on a one to two, three, four or more basis or in some cases an apparent reoccurance of reactions from a previous encounter with bedbugs or other insects.

It is partly due to these variances and variations in response why reactions are not as indicative as they would first appear.

To give you a more extreme example I am often called upon to don my dear stalker and investigate issues reported to hotels where no signs of bedbug activity can be found. The traveler often starts to respond after the exposure an thus assumes the issue is in the current location when it is in fact in a previous.

In your scenario I hope you have switched to Passive Monitoring to confirm what is going on rather than opting for a second round of spray and prey.

David

9. hatebbforlife

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2013 22:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

I have been getting bites (usually the two/three bites on the same area) but haven't seen a live bedbug or convincing fecal dots as shown in many of the pictures here. it has been over a year since I have been searching (at least 4 times) the bed/cover, also placed a mattress cover. My question is -can BBs go unnoticed for that long? I am assuming they would be everywhere (or find a good indication that they are here) if I had them already..Please help!!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2013 0:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi hatebbforlife,

Skin responses for 12 months and no confirming signs means its time to read the FAQ on inspection and monitoring and conduct a search. If you cant see signs then its highly unlikely to be bedbugs.

David

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2013 1:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 46 minutes ago  » 
    Hi hatebbforlife,
    Skin responses for 12 months and no confirming signs means its time to read the FAQ on inspection and monitoring and conduct a search. If you cant see signs then its highly unlikely to be bedbugs.
    David

Yes-- start with the first four FAQs listed here:
    http://bedbugger.com/faqs

12. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 27 2013 23:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people (1% of the population) has chronic itching starting with no known cause:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/24/17058944-asthma-drug-can-ease-agony-of-constant-itch-too?lite=&lite=obinsite

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 28 2013 13:44:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi theyareoutthere,

Its factual if not a little unpopular but the majority of the population report feeling itchy just by thinking about insects and not even specifically bedbugs.

David

14. nightmareinbk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Aug 7 2013 9:24:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all this valuable information on bites! Has anyone had the experience of bites changing over time?

We had a verified BB problem, I found a few in my bedroom (before treatment) that were filled with blood but had no signs of bites. So, theoretically, I'm a "non-reactor"... right?

Fast forward a month, we've had the place treated, I also washed, bagged sprayed EVERYTHING. No signs of bites (on the roommate who reacted) and no signs of activity (fecal matter, eggs, skin casts). I also tossed my box spring (sprayed and wrapped before kicking it to the curb, of course!) so I have a double-bagged mattress on the floor with next to nothing in the room.

I have two bites now, appeared in the last few days. Could I just NOW be responding? Can a non-reactor become a reactor? Or can I assume these are mosquito bites?

15. nightmareinbk

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Aug 7 2013 9:32:58
    #

Login to Send PM

16. bedchigger

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Sep 3 2013 19:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for pointing me in this document's direction.
    An informative read

17. danielle28

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 22 2013 19:46:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bites always itch and do they pop like a zit?

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 6:32:14
    #

Login to Send PM

danielle28 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Do bites always itch and do they pop like a zit?

Hi,

Bites do not always itch although the itch is heavily reported by those who have a skin reaction, those that have no reaction also have no itch.

Again with the zit comment, it all depends on how someone responds, some will have a "head" on the mark while others do not.

If you think along the line of needing to focus less on the symptoms and more on the evidence of what is causing them.

Hope that helps.

David

19. kypat

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 9:56:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Please help!! My daughter is covered in bites!! This is the 3rd time in 6 months that I've suspected bed bugs, but I can't find any signs. She is currently sleeping in my room and my husband is sleeping in her room. No one else has any bites, it's my husband, 5 week old son, my daughter and I. The bites are mostly on her legs and feet, but she has had some on her arms and torso too. Some are in 3s some are not. They itch her horribly. She is still getting new bites sleeping in my room. I just can't figure out what else it could be, but there are no signs whatsoever of bed bugs.

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 8 2013 12:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi kypat,

Its best to keep your posts in one place rather than posting repeat information all over the place.

Your questions are being answered here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bed-bugs-or-not-bed-bugs

David

21. afraidofthebugs08

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Mar 29 2014 21:16:08
    #

Login to Send PM

It is interesting that you note the psychological impacts of bed bugs, and how bed bug bites may appear upon even thinking about bed bugs for those who have been heavily infested. Do you think this may happen to individuals who are anxious about whether or not they have an infestation on their hands? I've been reading about stress hives, and wondering if simply worrying about bites can cause sporadic hives to appear. The power of the mind is really quite amazing. Hoping that my red bumps are solely from stress and that I don't have an infestation on my hands!

22. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Mar 30 2014 5:32:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes as you say the mind is a powerful and complex organ.

All I can say with any certainty is that people who could be classified as "anxious" are more likely to exhibit skin reactions in excess of the number of bedbugs or in the absence of bedbugs. The mechanism of that response I could only guess at.

David

23. jmac

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 1 2014 17:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been studying this problem for about three years ( strictly non pro)
    I am not correcting anything you said, I am just giving you info on MY experience. ( a six month ordeal caused by a neighbor)

1) bed bug bite size is directly related to how big the bug was that bit.
    bed bug instars can and do, bite and the result is a very tiny raised red bite.
    (The Health Inspector also CONFIRMED that instars and thru different stages, the bugs can be almost transparent or white, when instars, or just after skin shedding, or before they actually bite. ( Fleas are documented as being white until they start to feed too)

2) Mature /large bedbugs CAN be felt when bitten. I can describe it as something I mistakenly took as STATIC from my blankets when I moved. Dry air in the winter + wool blankets. Later, I found large bites on my back calves.

3) When bitten by large mature bugs they must release more venom which would explain why my bites came up as pruritic wheels (sp?) . They looked like large targets almost 5 inches in diameter, and felt hot to the touch.
    FURTHER a Canadian DOCTOR (Vancouver) has tracked a strain of MRSA virus through a line of people that had bedbug infestations, but it appears that the media has censored that well, though I kept the article. Regardless of wether they can transmit diseases though bites, it is a fact that they carry them on their bodies, transfer them to you, and when you scratch that bite, if you break the skin surface..........

4) The bed bugs coming through the walls to my unit , from my neighbor were almost the size of dimes. It was later found that she was practically ankle deep in bedbugs. The Pest expert said there were too many to distinguish between live bugs and dead ones. ( he practically RAN) The management had told me they found..............."one".

5) HIVES... caused by stress can look very much like instar bites, tiny and raised and itchy. If your prone to hives, stress will make them come out.

6) most insecticides I have read about were based on nerve killing agents ( for lack of better description) When your sympathetic nervouse system is damaged or if you are living in allergic condtions ( like extended pesticide exposure) your nerve endings in your skin will cause " creepy crawly" symptoms that are very similar to what Diabetics suffer from ( one of their symptoms) This not only includes the 'creepy crawlies' but also 'nipping' / 'pin prick' sensations.

If these symptoms are an issue, a few days of allergy medication will help pinpoint the cause.

7) I suffered greatly with huge bites because of my neighbors very severe infestation (radiated heat apartment building) and I tried, allergy creams, ointments, poultices, antibiotic ointments prescribed and over the counter and NOTHING got rid of the big wheels /targets until I tried Rundles Salve. So I want to tell people.

Rundles Salve (Canada) is known as Porters Ointment (USA) and applied lightly and covered with a gauze band aid made a 60% difference overnight. It was a a miracle after months of trying. You need to apply a band aid because it DRAWS the poison out to the band aid.

I hope my info adds to your very informative research.

24. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 6:07:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jmac,

Sorry I hope you don't take this the wrong way but most of what you have posted is not accurate on this thread and as such I need to address each of the points in turn.

1 - while this may be the case with you it is not the case with me. It is also not the case with the majority of the 48,000+ people I have worked with connected with bedbugs and thus takingt he wider picture into play it is not possible to differentiate between life stages and bite size.

2 - I can only feel the bites when there are a large number (50+ in one session) and only with larger number do I respond. Most of the time if I am feeding low numbers I can feel them bite. Again you may be able to but that does not mean everyone does.

3 - I can assure you that bedbugs do not release a venon or any kind of toxin. It is counter product for an obligate haematophage to kill its host, biology and life is rather smart that way.

With regards your spreading MRSA comment the truth is that there was some MRSA found on the exoskeleton of a bedbug. While physical transmission (transport) from one place to the next is possible it is not considered to be a vectoring method of the transmission of MRSA that is much more likley to occur through hand to mouth contact following infected surfaces. The Canadian doctor was quite rightly shunned for their poor science and lack of ethics. Sadly the information gets passed from one person to the next and often without the benefit of the full story which is that if you feel bedbugs are a MRSA risk you need to quickly move into the nearest plastic bubble because most the of the surface in your home are a risk in the same way.

4 - That is not professional behavior and I doubt anyone who reacts that well will be able to deliver a professional service. Certainly in my 12 years experience the less professional the attitude the less professional the service.

5 - Yes and I feel that is already well covered in the document above aside from the assumption of instars which I have addressed above.

6 - Some insecticides can have the side effect of pin pricking or undulating skin but only generally when used to excess or in unprofessional quantities. This is best avoided by confirming your target species before you start to treat.

7 - If you have access to them wound healing creams such as Neosporin are the best thing for bites.

As I have said elsewhere while I appreciate you mean well you experience is based on dealing with your set of condition, making assumptions based on your situation and attempting to apply them universally is a common mistake and often the source of myths. I am sure that the vocal ones with 3 bites in a row always had 3 bites in a row but that does not mean that everyone gets that reaction.

In short this is a complex area by virtue of the fact that you need massive data sets to iron out the statistical anomalies, in short you need at least the data from 5,000 individuals to make any reason. I have been collecting data from all my clients since about 2007 and even though we have over 15,000 data points I do not consider this to be enough data to analyze yet.

Hope that makes sense.

David

25. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2014 18:31:19
    #

Login to Send PM

1) bed bug bite size is directly related to how big the bug was that bit.
    bed bug instars can and do, bite and the result is a very tiny raised red bite.
    (The Health Inspector also CONFIRMED that instars and thru different stages, the bugs can be almost transparent or white, when instars, or just after skin shedding, or before they actually bite. (Fleas are documented as being white until they start to feed too)

No, not really. From feeding bed bugs, I can say that the size of the bug that is biting doesn't really have a direct size link to the bite reaction that ensues. I've been feeding them since around 1980 and the reaction I got now is still like it was then. The nymphs and adults are white right after molting and will be a pale tan about an hour later. See my image of an adult and then peruse the pictures for other useful images https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/4784549187/
    Fleas are not white just before feeding because you have a pre-emergent adult flea that can stay for months in the cocoon and it is no longer white. White would be right after molting or leaving the pupal stage, which just after eclosion. If it were white, it would not have hardened structures and not be able to use its mouthparts. Same holds true for bed bugs and other insects, spiders, etc.

2) Mature /large bedbugs CAN be felt when bitten. I can describe it as something I mistakenly took as STATIC from my blankets when I moved. Dry air in the winter + wool blankets. Later, I found large bites on my back calves.

You can actually feel nymphs or a single nymph feeding, as well. Sometimes you can feel adults or a single adult feeding. I think it depends where it is on you or maybe it's closer to a nerve ending. You can feel some larger nymphs crawl on you as well as adults and sometimes not.
    When feeding thousands as they stay in the 8oz jar and feed through the mesh, the site is tender and sometimes begins to itch and sometimes the itching is not where the feeding takes place, but can be nearby. I basically don't itch from the feeding and when it's finished in about 20-30 minutes, there is no itching, but the site is tender, reddish and raised. The initial swelling dissipates within an hour or so, but the reddish color stays for days. And it's interesting that I've had different skin reactions from different feedings, too. I've experienced simple raised welts to fluid filled blisters.
    Again, look at my site and see the images I have posted, but also read what I have posted.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix

3) When bitten by large mature bugs they must release more venom which would explain why my bites came up as pruritic wheels (sp?) . They looked like large targets almost 5 inches in diameter, and felt hot to the touch.

No venom, but are salivary components especially not to allow coagulation which would ruin the feeding system.

FURTHER a Canadian DOCTOR (Vancouver) has tracked a strain of MRSA virus through a line of people that had bedbug infestations, but it appears that the media has censored that well, though I kept the article.

That was very poor science, a very low number of bugs -- I forget, maybe 5. There were 2 viruses noted in the study. Bugs were not assayed to see if the organisms were carried on or within the bug, but the bugs were just ground up. MRSA is easily transferred by a person's hand and this is on the skin.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  26. sabi

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 5 2014 1:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise,
    I am wondering if old bed bug feces will smear or only fresh ones?
    thank you

27. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 5 2014 5:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Always best to start a new thread when the subject does not match.

Bedbug faeces dries quite quickly on porous surfaces and as such will not smear through contact alone. It will however quickly dissolve in water or saliva and smear again.

Hope that helps.

David

28. jmac

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 17:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

lou-

Hi and thank you for your input (s)
    I want to remind you that I stated in my intro that I was giving 'the board' info on My experiance.

re;' life stages and bite size.'
    Isn't it possible that a person who may be allergic to some/any bug bites may have more severe reaction results, compared to.. you?

re: you can only feel numerous bites.
    again.. are you saying its not possible for anyone else to feel different levels of pain/bites /stings?

re; venom //ok venom w/e I should not have called it venom.

unprofessional service- ya. Ya think???
    You all may be scientists and specialits etc but typically, pest control experts dont have any alphabets behind their names. And I am told they rarely last more than three years in the field.

Massive sets of data?
    I am sorry. I did not realize I had to have a phd to post here I mistakenly thought it was genererally helping people.

Which is more powerful and conclusive, your 'DATA' or my REAL LIFE EXPERIANCE?

ohhhhhhhhhhh *sarcasm* is CLINICAL and LAB work totally different from REAL LIFE in the field work?
    Of course it is!

You have your experiments and your experiance and your data.
    I lived in hell for six months, with constant input from pest control experts from two companies and the landlords and the health department. THE most reputable pest control company in North America came to my place and gave me good **independant advice.
    (GET OUT)

Later the landlords scared the hell out of him for making any comments and threaten to sue him and he refused to talk to me anymore.
    Wonderful. The best experts are silenced by the almighty Calgary land owner.

Setting aside that I would like you to explain to me why trained and certified pest technicians cannot remedy a bed bug problem in a building of less than 100 units in a constant bombardment of chemicals (Drione and Demand) for a solid six months, and that the Canadian Department of Health cannot apparently force landlords or pest techs to do the specified treatments properly (even though the pest control company SHOULD have refused to do HALF measures or insisted on doing the full measures)
    in lieu ( pun pun) of that please just explain why if you guys are SO smart why is there NO sucessful treatment for bedbugs and people are so hard up now that they are using that STUPID new MOLD treatment in the USA, nevermind the black market sales of DDT?( or have ya not heard of that yet??)

If you know so much why isnt there a cure? remedy? Cause this is BS !!
    Daycares, schools, court houses, city transits, etc etc etc
    BS ! What good is your years of research doing?
    Why arent people being warned of the LICE SIZED nymphs?
    Why do pest experts and health departments INSIST on only LIVE EVIDENCE to get your place treated? Are you seriosuly supposed to allow your home to become so infested that you can finally easily prove it, before they finally do something?
    Pfffffff !
    post it, remove it, delete it. I dont care. I wont be coming back here. You guys aren't helping JACK S#|t.

29. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2014 18:49:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jmac,

Please read this through before hitting reply.

In my case I am BSc (Hons) - Molecular Biology , PgCert - Molecular Biology so I have a little of the alphabet soup behind me although all real science rather than pest control.

I have actually been in pest control for over 12 years have left my previous career to seek new challenges, I picked a tough one. Since 2005 I have run a specialist company that has cleared about 25,000 cases of bedbugs because I have a team who work for me that I trained and they can deal with what they find in the field as they are all trained by me for 3 months in order to be able to do that.

Yes there are lots out there who do offer poor service, there are some scary solutions, some silly ones and lets not get started on the failings of DDT since the 1960's, its akin to scripting Penicillin for MRSA.

Now if you want to start a new thread and share the details such as dates and outlines of what you have done to date we can look at it and see where we can advise and help.

While we appreciate you were well meaning in posting your comments to this thread its a bit like a scrawling your name on the wall of the museum. The post is a factual collection and distillation of years worth of work. The first draft started before you could even embed images to this site . It has even been the basis of some of the medical papers on the subject.

As such we are protective over it and felt that some of the contented needed correcting.

We do appreciate you situation but having a go will not help you. Please think about starting a new thread so this can be cleaned and tidied by admin and we can get on with trying to work out what needs to be done to help you.

David

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 5 2014 7:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The new pscocids link is here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/pscocids.html

David

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 17:53:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am removing this from the green stickies because it is covered in the FAQS About Bed Bugs for Forum Users, itself a green sticky.

Fewer stickies makes it easier for people to find information. People are more likely to see and read a few stickies (and thus find more) if there are not so many. Also, for stickies that get updated, updates are more likely to be seen if they are in "Latest Discussions".

I am tagging this thread “former stickies”, so you can find it again easily. You should also subscribe to this or other threads you want to follow. You can do this at the top of any thread.

32. annoyedincali

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 18:33:58
    #

Login to Send PM

hi there,

I found bed bugs about a month and a half ago. I have had four treatments and haven't seen a single bug within the last 2-3 weeks (it was a smaller infestation mostly contained to the sofa that we have since gotten rid of). My problem is that I still get itchy pin sized pricks on my hands. In addition, certain areas on my body feel itchy, even though I don't see any bites. Compared to the size of the bites that I saw when we first found the problem, this is not the same. I don't know if we are clear of bugs and this is in my head or being caused by stress, or if I should get another treatment done. Please help. I don't know what to do.

33. Menton

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Dec 29 2014 23:11:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My issue is similar to that of annoyedincali above.

I had a very small issue (don't think it can be called an infestation) - got bitten on a trip in October, when I returned I kept the luggage out of my apt and had my building send in its canine team. Dogs confirmed no BBs in apartment but yes in luggage. To anyone in this situation I recommend you just throw everything out and be happy you dodged a bullet!

The PCO told me how to unpack safely - I threw out suitcase and 10% of my stuff, washed and dried everything, used rubbing alcohol, put (almost) everything in plastic and went away for a week. Returned and saw I had left one thing out and sure enough, got a bite! Possibly only a single bug and I was on top of it but.........disaster.

I did not have time to do a good prep but got my first treatment exactly 2 weeks after I unpacked the bug(s). 2 weeks later had a second treatment at which time they said there were no signs and I should be fine. They probably could only do 50% of what they wanted as I had not been able to prep well. I was still getting bites even though my bed was isolated. However these bites seem different than the ones before. They are on the back of my head and my thighs. Also I get a pinprick sensation especially at work

So the PCO came back and did a 3rd treatment and again, saw nothing, but I still have stuff going on. I'm terrified that I brought these to work since I didn't know the proper protocols initially and since I had such a small problem the PCO didn't specify. Since some of the bites are on my thighs which they weren't before, I am afraid they are crawling up my work chair. I have been spraying Sterifab on my chair at work (before leaving at night so not when I'm sitting on it).

The PCO is very helpful - they are going to be stopping by weekly to do a manual check and send in the dogs 60 days after the last treatment. They also suggested a dermatologist.

After reading David's post above, I am wondering if this is reaction to the Sterifab which did give me a bit of reaction at home. Plus anxiety plus increased skin sensitivity after exposure to BBs (my skin is sensitive anyway). Could it be psychological?

34. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 10:52:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi annoyedincali,

The skin reaction alone could be post bedbug sensitivity or it could be a sign of new activity. This is why its best not to focus on them as an indicator of anything other than something needs investigating.

For confirmation we always defer back to:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Hope that helps.

David

35. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Dec 30 2014 10:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Menton,

With regards your post I think it justifies a new thread as there is likley to be a lot of input outside of just skin responses to consider and it may help you to keep your case as a separate thread.

Once its posted I will re-read and comment.

David

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Dec 31 2014 0:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

37. Justmovedhere

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 4 2015 19:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, thank you for this. This explains so much. Basically, my whole experience makes sense now. I couldn't figure out why she was getting bitten sometimes and then. It getting bitten while I was getting bitten. But now I realize we were probably betting bitten at the same time, but she was reacting immediately while it took me a week or longer to react.

The repellency issue may explain why we are not getting bit in the bedroom, but the instant we slept in the living room we got bit. The pco sprayed the crap out of our bedroom, but not so much the living room.

38. justbecauseURparanoid

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 16:40:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this great post.

I was exposed to a fairly advanced bed bug infestation one night in a friend's home (I had to break the bad news the next morning. I had collected live samples in a ziploc baggy for show and tell as denial is a powerful force.).

I did not show any signs of bites the next couple of days (I relocated to a tent in the back yard after that first night), but after I got back to my home, about a week+ later, bites started cropping up all over my arms and a few on my hip and belly. These bites did not crop up all at once but in multiples over a few days. I freaked out because I figured I brought the bed bugs home with me even after all of my efforts to prevent it.

I do have the occasional mosquito and this year has been a bad year for fleas (I treat my cat with monthly drops).

My question is: can a delayed reaction have a "rolling release" (30+ bites appearing gradually over a few days), and can other insect bites trigger the previous bed bug bites to "magically" appear?

I had a dog inspection and nothing was found in my apartment and all of my visual inspections have turned up nothing conclusive (I've got carpet beetles but I knew that already).

39. Innocence Stolen

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Feb 23 2017 19:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Have been dealing with bed bugs since last Nov (2016). Have it down to very few bugs now. I react within 10 hours to bites from the pattern I've seen so far. I get hive-looking welts. The itch is intense. They sometimes would take a month to heal and I now have TONS of pretty little purple scars all over me - some are actually quite large.

I get bit every few days or so. Then all of a sudden, I didn't get any bites for a week or so. "Super great!" I thought. Then I woke up a couple days ago with a new bite on my back just in the middle - perfect spot to not be able to scratch - a bite on my leg and 4 bites on my middle finger. The ones on my body look 'normal' for what I usually get, but the ones on my finger turned into a HUGE blister and it's just now going down. I hope I don't react like this again! The blister feels just like any blister does - it's painful and it hurts under hot water!

40. ashah93

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 6:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I recently joined the forum as I have been experiencing “mosquito-like” bites over the past 2 weeks and it has been driving me crazy. I know 100% it is not mosquitos as I live in Central London and have no stagnant water around me. The reason I refer to them being like “mosquito-like” bites are due to my reaction to them – all my bites are quite swollen, raised, red and large – just like when I get mosquito bites.

The weirdest thing is that I have A LOT of bites on my scalp. From what I have read, bed bugs generally do not like being in hair and aren’t designed to cling onto hair etc. I can’t feel anything in my hair during the day (apart from the itchy bites), so I’d imagine these are all happening when I sleep. I have bites around the neck hairline and around my neck/back in general.

I know bites cant tell you if it’s bed bugs for sure, but I thought the fact that I am getting bitten on my scalp a lot might help confirm or rule out bed bugs?? I’ve had a professional look at my room and he ruled out bed bugs – no signs were found at all.

Any comments/advice would be welcome
    Thanks

41. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 7:35:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I also live in central London and while it is rare mosquito issues do affect some people in their homes. One case that always stands out to me was in about December 2011 (a fairly cold year and certainly after first freeze) where the culprit to an issue was a single female mosquito caught on a sticky pad under a heat lamp. The property was within 200m of marble arch gyratory if that pin points it for you.

However, the phrase "A LOT" would tend to exclude mosquito's as with lots there are lots to find.

I would recommend you do one of the following:

• Read up on bed bugs and conduct a thorough self inspection and document anything you find in a new thread for comment.
    • Monitor for signs of bed bugs to rule them out.
    • Arrange for an inspection by an experienced professional who can assess what is going on.

There are discussions on options for those in the FAQ and useful tools sections.

In the meantime it may be worth accurately documenting the symptoms to look for patterns and potential causes. It certainly does not sound like bed bugs but without seeing the area and the fine details I cant reliably add much more other than to reinforce the skin reactions are too variable to add too much by their appearance. The locations can help but the key thing is to look at is the home and not the symptoms.

Hope that helps.

David

42. ashah93

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 8:41:32
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    I also live in central London and while it is rare mosquito issues do affect some people in their homes. One case that always stands out to me was in about December 2011 (a fairly cold year and certainly after first freeze) where the culprit to an issue was a single female mosquito caught on a sticky pad under a heat lamp. The property was within 200m of marble arch gyratory if that pin points it for you.
    However, the phrase "A LOT" would tend to exclude mosquito's as with lots there are lots to find.
    I would recommend you do one of the following:

• Read up on bed bugs and conduct a thorough self inspection and document anything you find in a new thread for comment.
    • Monitor for signs of bed bugs to rule them out.
    • Arrange for an inspection by an experienced professional who can assess what is going on.

There are discussions on options for those in the FAQ and useful tools sections.
    In the meantime it may be worth accurately documenting the symptoms to look for patterns and potential causes. It certainly does not sound like bed bugs but without seeing the area and the fine details I cant reliably add much more other than to reinforce the skin reactions are too variable to add too much by their appearance. The locations can help but the key thing is to look at is the home and not the symptoms.
    Hope that helps.
    David

Hi David,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I posted a picture for an ID of a bug that I found a couple of days ago - I've been told that it's likely to be a varied carpet beetle larva, and that there may be more of them around.
    If this is the case, do you know where I should be looking? I have pretty much turned my whole room upside down to look for a "source" of bugs, but to no avail apart from the one bug I found.

Without the risk of contaminating the thread, the link to the pictures is here: http://imgur.com/a/geyXk

Any thoughts/advice on how to get rid of these larva would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help!

43. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Feb 24 2017 9:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Replied there already.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned