Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

New & Improved Beauveria bassiana? Time in the field will tell...

(40 posts)
  1. Canuck

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 23 2017 21:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Penn State and North Carolina State universities have a new and possibly improved fungal biopesticide for bed bug control, with their trials proving effective against bed bug strains that are insecticide resistant. Time in the field, when it gets there, will be the test. Article from Penn State News.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 24 2017 0:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 24 2017 1:05:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds promising but products such as this and dust get to me. If I understand correctly, it's a long term residual product. Basically once you apply it, you can't do anything else such as steam or apply an incecticide or it will compromise the original fungal biopesticide. So you're relying on it to solely control the issue, which I have no doubt it is capable of doing but that's the thing, "control." You'd be basically throwing in the towel and coming to grips with the fact you'll have to live with them and just "control" them.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 24 2017 5:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Lets just hope the new version does not need to be suspended in a petroleum by product to be applied to peoples beds.

However, the ultimate solution might initially appear to be applying the spores to a material that you fix to the bed. I say initially because when we have tried similar approaches in the past the reality was that it worked no better at managing the problem than when we tried it without the additive.

I guess I am not a huge fan of doing things that are just not needed.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 24 2017 7:31:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay! A new tool! I've been hoping they'd rework this and rerelease it. If it works it will be nice to have something that doesn't work on the same weakness that the bugs have started to build resistance to.

@mp7ski Nice to see you back here. I hope things are going well. I think with this since it works on a different weakness of the bed bugs you'll be able to treat with this first, and kill everything you can with this; then you can treat with other treatments that we have had before to kill off the stragglers. It won't matter if you compromise the fungi, if you've already gotten all the killing out of it that you're going to get.

6. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 18:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 1 day ago  » 
    Yay! A new tool! I've been hoping they'd rework this and rerelease it. If it works it will be nice to have something that doesn't work on the same weakness that the bugs have started to build resistance to.
    @mp7ski Nice to see you back here. I hope things are going well. I think with this since it works on a different weakness of the bed bugs you'll be able to treat with this first, and kill everything you can with this; then you can treat with other treatments that we have had before to kill off the stragglers. It won't matter if you compromise the fungi, if you've already gotten all the killing out of it that you're going to get.

I wouldn't say I'm back, I just pop in every once in a while when I have a freak out moment, it calms me a bit. Wasnt liking the way I was obsessing with this site and the way i was acting on here. Still having an issue although cimexa is controlling it for now. Just living day by day and trying to work towards my end goal.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 20:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I was thinking about you as well and wondering how things were going, mp7ski. Glad to hear the Cimexa is making a difference.

8. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 20:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Always good to see innovation at work.
    The website for the commercial spin off is
    http://www.aprehend.com

9. Ombugsman

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 12:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sheree and Crossroads for the links. I contacted one of the researchers to obtain additional information. Here is more stuff I learned:

- Kills eggs
    - Kills bugs even if it only gets on their legs
    - Tested on many different surfaces against non-resistant strains but only one for resistant strain
    - Not affected by humidity
    - Safe to place on floor around bed
    - Confirmed efficacy/speed not affected by the amount or exposure time
    - Confirmed transfer effect of bugs bringing back spores to harborage and killing other bed bugs there

This product appears to check all the boxes and has some advantages over CimeXa. Its main disadvantage appears to be that it takes longer for the bugs to die (5+ days) after they step in it. Of course, we won't know the real deal until it's available for independent testing and PCOs/DIYers use it to treat infestations.

I'm sure the company had its reasons for making public the efficacy studies and advantages of the product. But given the many vested interests in the industry, I worry a "contribution" might delay EPA approval. Since clean air and water don't appear to be an EPA priority at this time, I doubt a promising bedbug product will make it through.

10. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 12:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Great info Ombugsman, thanks.
    Am I right in thinking that (if validated in the field!!) the harbourage poisoning and cross-infection aspect would make it the first ever "trackback" bedbug poison? Like the excellent Terro Bait for ants. Or have there been others already?

11. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 12:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I read it is suppose to be released in 2017. Here's an article on it: https://scienceblog.com/493078/bedbugs-beware-new-research-may-beat-back-bedbug-epidemic-2/

12. Ombugsman

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 30 2017 13:53:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Crossroads Wrote: Am I right in thinking that (if validated in the field!!) the harbourage poisoning and cross-infection aspect would make it the first ever "trackback" bedbug poison?

This surprised me but this study found that CimeXa worked in this way:

Quote From Study: We also evaluated the horizontal transfer effect of the silica gel dust. Silica gel dust-exposed bed bugs transferred the dust horizontally to unexposed bed bugs resulting in 100% mortality at 4:6 donor: recipient ratio and 88.0 ± 5.0% mortality at 1:5 donor: recipient ratio.

They didn't test other dusts. I've never read of this effect regarding chemical pesticides but it may be possible.

Faye wrote: I read it is suppose to be released in 2017.

From the article:

Jenkins said the goal is to have Aprehend on the market and in the hands of professional pest controllers sometime in 2017.

EPA is the agency which has primary responsibility for bedbugs in general (not just product approval) so I have no doubt that long time employees there will want to expedite approval and the product does appear to be well along in that process. I guess I'm just more pessimistic than most people. There's a new head of the EPA and it wouldn't be difficult to slow the process if some large corporations with vested interests give money to certain politicians or organizations. CimeXa is already cutting into the revenues of these companies; I would think the last thing they want is a product which might be even better than CimeXa on the market. I hope I'm wrong about this.

13. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 31 2017 23:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like a great product. However, it says it kills 95.5 percent to 99 percent within 14 days. Are the rest killed after 14 days - anyone know?

14. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Mar 31 2017 23:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like a great product. However, it says it kills 95.5 percent to 99 percent within 14 days. Are the rest killed after 14 days - anyone know?

15. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 1 2017 3:52:22
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 4 hours ago  » It sounds like a great product. However, it says it kills 95.5 percent to 99 percent within 14 days. Are the rest killed after 14 days - anyone know?

The original scientific paper
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ps.4576/pdf via
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ps.4576/abstract
    just says

Mortality across all four bed bug strains exposed to B. bassiana-treated substrates was 99.0 ± 0.7% in 2014 and 95.5 ± 1.4% in 2015 by the end of the 14-day monitoring period (overall survivorship: 2.5 ± 0.8%) (Fig. 1).

So they make no claim about what happens after 14 days.

However, a preliminary 2012 paper from the same researchers at
    https://www.moldbacteria.com/wp-content/uploads/potential-of-beauveria-bassiana-for-bed-bug-control.pdf
    suggests that re-treatments would catch any stragglers:

In a couple of assays 5–8% of individuals did not die, but re-expo-
    sure of these few survivors resulted in infection and mortality (re-
    sults not shown), suggesting sub-optimal pick up of spores
    (especially from the paper substrate) rather than any physiological
    resistance.

16. Ombugsman

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 3 2017 21:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Extra Extra Read All About It. Aprehend just received EPA approval. It now begins the process of applying for registration in each individual state.

17. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 3 2017 23:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Great news. How did you find out?

18. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 3:18:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This product is really intriguing. Especially the part where bugs that didn't die from initial exposure did after being exposed a second time which points to it being more along the lines of not being exposed enough to the product initially instead of it being some sort of resistance. Hope it works in the field just as good as it did in the lab.

19. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 5:39:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Great news about the EPA approval, Ombugsman.
    I just noticed this report from a few weeks back saying the EPA was planning to approve:

https://www.agra-net.com/agra/agrow/approvals-launches/us-epa-to-ok-conidio-tecs-aprehend--1.htm

The US EPA has proposed the approval of US biopesticide company Conidio Tec’s bioinsecticide, Aprehend (Beauveria bassiana strain GHA), for the control of bed bugs in buildings and structures.

So I guess all the renewed publicity over the last few weeks was cos the Aprehend ppl knew approval was on the way...

20. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 21:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Confirmation of what Ombugsman said: Aprehend have updated their website...

Old site in google cache, 7 march:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Awww.aprehend.com&oq=cache%3Awww.aprehend.com
    Permalink: http://archive.is/S7Q9V
    says
    "Sales pending full EPA registration approval. "

Current site:
    http://www.aprehend.com/
    says
    "Sales pending state by state registration. "

21. Ombugsman

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 8 2017 19:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is the link to Aprehend's product label:

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/089186-00001-20170327.pdf

It's applied as a spray at low volume application rates and a respirator is required during application. Repeated exposure to the product may cause "allergic sensitization". I was hoping Aprehend might eventually be an off-the shelf product someone could buy at the local hardware store or supermarket but the respirator requirement is a warning shot.

In fact, it's worse than that - I think only licensed professionals will able to buy the product directly. There's this quote from a 2014 article: "When approved, it will be on the market for licensed pesticide distributors. It will not be available to the general public". And then there's this quote from a recent article: "Jenkins said the goal is to have Aprehend on the market and in the hands of professional pest controllers sometime in 2017". I wrote the company asking them if this is true and, if so, why there is this restriction since the chemical pesticide Transport GHP may be bought directly by non-licensed pros in 46 out of 50 states. Does the EPA require that a microbial pesticide be sold only through licensed professionals or is it Conidio Tec's decision to only sell directly to licensed pros? I couldn't find Beauveria on the NYS restricted ingredients list and a Beauveria product called BotaniGuard may be bought directly by consumers. I've received no response to my inquiry from Conidia.

This could be especially important if one intends to use Aprehend as a preventative tool. The product label says it will remain effective for 3 months so residents might have a routine where they reapply it quarterly. But how are they gonna reapply it if they're not able to buy it directly? Pay a PCO every quarter? I'm hoping that the restriction is a temporary one perhaps due to limited initial supply while they gauge demand or because they think it's better that only pros apply it for a while before making it available directly to consumers.

22. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 6:14:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Ombugsman - 10 hours ago  » 
    Here is the link to Aprehend's product label:
    It's applied as a spray at low volume application rates and a respirator is required during application. Repeated exposure to the product may cause "allergic sensitization". I was hoping Aprehend might eventually be an off-the shelf product someone could buy at the local hardware store or supermarket but the respirator requirement is a warning shot.
    In fact, it's worse than that - I think only licensed professionals will able to buy the product directly. There's this quote from a 2014 article: "When approved, it will be on the market for licensed pesticide distributors. It will not be available to the general public". And then there's this quote from a recent article: "Jenkins said the goal is to have Aprehend on the market and in the hands of professional pest controllers sometime in 2017". I wrote the company asking them if this is true and, if so, why there is this restriction since the chemical pesticide Transport GHP may be bought directly by non-licensed pros in 46 out of 50 states. Does the EPA require that a microbial pesticide be sold only through licensed professionals or is it Conidio Tec's decision to only sell directly to licensed pros? I couldn't find Beauveria on the NYS restricted ingredients list and a Beauveria product called BotaniGuard may be bought directly by consumers. I've received no response to my inquiry from Conidia.
    This could be especially important if one intends to use Aprehend as a preventative tool. The product label says it will remain effective for 3 months so residents might have a routine where they reapply it quarterly. But how are they gonna reapply it if they're not able to buy it directly? Pay a PCO every quarter? I'm hoping that the restriction is a temporary one perhaps due to limited initial supply while they gauge demand or because they think it's better that only pros apply it for a while before making it available directly to consumers.

I imagine it will be available online in the same way Temprid and other pesticides are. It just won't be available on store shelves. A lot of pesticides are labeled as professional use only yet are available to buy online to anyone. I have a hard time seeing a product like this only available to PCOs, yet temprid and other more toxic chemicals are available to anyone.

23. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 6:26:09
    #

Login to Send PM

It be nice if the EPA approved this soon as I'd much rather use this as a preventative when I move compared to chemicals and dusts.

24. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 7:46:53
    #

Login to Send PM

It is approved. Now it needs to work its way into the hands of pros.

25. Ombugsman

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 9 2017 8:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I imagine it will be available online in the same way Temprid and other pesticides are. It just won't be available on store shelves...I'd much rather use this as a preventative when I move compared to chemicals and dusts.

One would think that would be the case but the website talks about it as a "professional" product and mentions prevention in the context of a hotel not a homeowner. I sent the eMail to the same researcher who responded to my previous query (I saw somewhere where she's also the President of Conidia.). Why not just reply that it will be available through sites like domyownpestcontrol.com? One sentence. I even stated this would be my last question and I wouldn't bother her any more (I had only sent one email before).

Now it needs to work its way into the hands of pros

...and DIYers even more so. CimeXa did not become popular because of pros using it - quite the opposite. Potter's landmark extensive field test validated it and DIYers picked up on that and started using it. They then posted their results on various distributor sites like domywonpestcontrol. The Potter study and the DIY feedback then led those sites to recommend it to bed bug victims and include it in all of their "kits". I know this is heresy but the most efficient way to know if a product is effective is through DIYers so long as it is safe. Remember PCOs have a vested financial interest in a simple, effective spray product NOT becoming too successful to where it could be used by average homeowners to rid themselves of bed bugs in the same way they use a product like boric acid to take care of a waterbug problem.

26. crossroads

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Apr 29 2017 0:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Via Aprehend's news page, a report on PA local TV news station WJAC on the launch of the product:

https://youtu.be/iPUvD3iNwD8

Pleased to hear from her flat vowels that the lead researcher is a Brit.

27. CrystalBlue

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 7:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

In case anyone is interested in the EPA's approval, and how this fungus works to kill other bed bugs that don't come into direct contact with the fungus

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/moth_diamondback_caterpillar

28. millermj

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 25 2017 3:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 3 months ago  » 

I arrived at this site while researching this product and have spent the last 6 hours perusing the forums. I am working on a graduate paper that addresses the bed bug problem in property management, and I am so overwhelmed with all the information. That being said:

Those numbers used are 2 (95.5) and 3 (99.7) standard deviations. If you are not familiar with statistical data, you have probably at least heard of the Bell Curve, or 'grading on a curve' from school. 100% is never achievable, because it is not realistic in the real world. Anything beyond 3 standard deviations is considered an extreme outlier. According to those results, the product is *extremely* effective. I'm not sure about the details of the experiment, but those numbers immediately stood out to me.

Another example is IQ measurement: the mean is 100, with +-15 spread, so 85-115 represents 68% of the population. 70-130 represents 95% of the population. 97.7% of the population is 55-145 (I guess theoretically at least).

You can read more about it at Wikipedia, but why would you subject yourself to that torture?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/68%E2%80%9395%E2%80%9399.7_rule

Regards

29. jimdavis

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jul 26 2017 2:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted on a different thread but thought I should ask here because I noticed this is the main active Bb thread on bedbugger, and that made me wonder if this was where I should have posted.

With "Aprehend" recently approved by the EPA (though not actually registered for sale by state yet), what does that mean in terms of how much safety testing they did? Did they do additional safety / site testing, with the Aprehend formulation specifically, or does this just mean they did a thorough review of the testing that had already been done in the outdoor formulation of Bb? Either way, how does one get at / see the safety testing data? I looked at the product brochure, and was surprised to see the indoor application includes spraying on surfaces like baseboards and fabric-- I'd assume they had to do additional testing to justify that. Also, how long does it generally take to get a new pesticide registered by state?

Best wishes,

30. BBhaterFungusLover

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 21:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all!

I had to comment.
    In 2012 I was infested by Bedbugs....meh! I brought home a "new" couch and lo and behold after thinking I had a mutant spider bite that swelled to the size of an eraser head I finally figured out after almost 4 weeks the couch was brought in with these little suckers. By that time they had migrated to all 3 bedrooms, other couch, computer area and even the kitchen, as I spend a majority of time there with my family. UGGGGGG!!!!!!! My husband and 3 sons went up north to the cabin for a week long trip after I washed, DRIED on hot for a long time, and bagged in the giant ziplock bags their garb. We had had a week of negative 15 degree weather so I figured the car was bug free and safe for transport.
    While they were gone I researched researched researched....Tried diatomaceous earth as recommended with a puffer, sprayed permethrin SFR as recommended by professionals, cleaned like a freak, washed all materials and clothing, bagged everything I didn't need including stuffed animals, got all plastic bins and got rid of boxes and clutter, stayed up all night every night collecting bugs for proof to my landlord, he set up an exterminator who used some Bayer product, and only did my apartment!!! Bites covered my body, the boys did not react, and I guess neither did any of the other tenants because no one ever complained about bites or bugs. 4 other units in our old victorian home. I found this forum and ALSO the Penn State research site on beauveria bassiana. I dreamed they would produce a useable product for the public but were in the initial stages of discovery....I researched more finding this fungus is used on vegetables and those said vegetables can be sold one day after being sprayed, soooooo I bought some and gave it a try. Spraying actually...almost exactly like they recommend to professionals, under box springs a two inch barrier around the perimeter of all walls etc. only thing in addition i did was mix a seperate container of it with mineral oil and applied it with a paint brush to all radiator pipes going up and down connecting said apartments AND a two inch line at the meeting of the celing to the wall. Wore an oil blocking mask, gloves, long pants, etc. removed our 3 cats for 24 hours, along with the children, wala! Bug were all gone in two weeks and were gone for 4 years UNTIL!!!!!!!! A new tenant moved in downstairs with....BED BUGS! I came back on the web to see if any new info was available about the fungus and WOW good for Nina J only downfall is Minnesota availability is pending. SO once again I am going to DYI with confidence. I DO NOT RECOMMEND this to anyone! I full heartedly agree on waiting for this to become available in your state but I was sooo excited to see it finally on the market for PROs and most likely soon to be available in most states by Jan of 2018. I just wanted to let you all know it WORKED for me and it is promising if not a miracle.

Take care, and be patient. S

31. BBhaterFungusLover

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 21:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

32. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 21:39:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you have to deal with it again - which state are you in? Here is a link to its availability: http://www.aprehend.com/ How are you going to do it this time? What did you do with the stuffed animals after bagging them last time? Good luck.

33. Light83

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 22:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

We will be using Aprehend in a couple days after heat treatment today (started a thread yesterday). We decided to do both (despite the cost) due to the emotional toll of this issue. I need the peace of mind. My kids also need the peace of mind. I feel like this product could bring hope to a lot of people.

34. Ombugsman

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 4 2017 23:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

We will be using Aprehend in a couple days after heat treatment today (started a thread yesterday). We decided to do both (despite the cost) due to the emotional toll of this issue. I need the peace of mind. MY KIDS also need the peace of mind. I feel like this product could bring hope to a lot of people.

I would urge extreme caution to anyone thinking of being one of the first users of this product. The recently published SDS for Aprehend reads as follows: Danger May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways.
    "Danger" is what's known as a signal word and represents the highest level of toxicity. The SDS for other professional products like Temprid do not have the signal word "danger". LINK TO APREHEND SDS

I just did a search of domyownpestcontrol.com and doyourownpestcontrol.com but could not find Aprehend. Is it only being sold directly to professionals? If so, more alarm bells should be ringing. And then there's this from the SDS: The specific chemical identities and percentages of composition have been withheld as trade secrets.

If it were me and I were having a heat treatment, I would use Crossfire and CimeXa as the residuals at this time, especially if there are kids and pets in the residence. Both are very effective and safe. If the heat treatment and those residuals prove ineffective, then you might consider the use of Aprehend. No need to be a pioneer if not required IMHO. Think of all the FDA drugs that were tested but later had to be pulled off the market.

35. BBhaterFungusLover

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 16:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi FayeState,

I am in Minnesota. I have worked as an apprentice to exterminators, I will do it the same as I previously posted. I bagged the stuffed animals for 3 years in a storage area that experiences 20 below weather during the winter and they were in the X-large ziplocks. I realize Aprehend is being accepted state by state, it looks like MN will be available around Jan of 2018.

To Ombugsman, lol! Almost every, if not every.... product on the market to kill bed bugs is NOT ingestible. Some people however do ingest 100% food grade shell flour diatomaceous earth, I used this product as a preventative as well.

DO NOT eat or breath in Crossfire or CimeXa either as nothing you use should be done without some sort of protection to your lungs. Being extra careful is wise. I also wonder if he is just trying to sell these products, because BBFungus is gonna kick some Bed Bug ass.

Aprehend contains petroleum disiltates which help the product remain active and fixed for a longer time. This product as of now should ONLY be applied by a professional, I just told my story because it works and I was excited to see it becoming available to people dealing with resistant bed bugs.

I personally used a mask specified to block petroleum distillates, I AM NOT recommending self administration of Beauveria bassiana, just letting people know this is an amazing breakthrough to kill resistant Bed Bugs.

And when used properly it is safe, safe enough that a LOT of the produce you eat comes to your home treated with this fungus.

BotaniGard ES uses Beauveria bassiana, a beneficial fungus, to target and control a wide variety of soft-bodied insects in greenhouse, field and nursery crops such as Whiteflies, Thrips, Aphids, Psyllids, Mealybugs, scarab beetles and Weevils. This product also controls difficult pests such as Grasshoppers, mole & Mormon crickets, chinch bugs, Leafhoppers and stem-boring Lepidoptera.
    BotaniGard ES is registered for an extensive number of ornamentals and edible crops such as herbs, spices, vegetables, fruits and berries. There is no limit to the number of times that BotaniGard ES can be applied in a season. A weekly application program can prevent insect population explosions and provide a level of control equal to or better than conventional chemical programs. Additionally, it has a 0-hour pre-harvest interval allowing it to be sprayed up until the day of harvest. It has a 4-hour REI.
    * Note: BotaniGard ES is not recommended for use on tomatoes. For control of tomato pest insects using Beauveria bassiana, apply BotaniGard 22WP instead.
    This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases:
    This product works as a knockdown control for the following: Leafhopper (Empoasca sp)

This product works as a biological control for the following: Alfalfa Weevil (Hypera postica Gyllenhal), Aphids (Mult), Bean Leaf Beetle (Cerotoma trifurcata), Beet Leafhopper (Circulifer tenellus), Black Vine Weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus), Cabbage Looper (Trichoplusia ni), Cabbage Worm (Pieris rapae), California Laurel Aphid (Euthoracaphis umbellulariae), Cane Borer (Mult), Chinch Bug (3 different species within the Lygaeidae family), Colorado Potato Beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata), Corn Borer (aka European Corn Borer) (Ostrinia nubilalis), Corn Borer (aka Southwestern Corn Borer) (Diatraea grandiosella), Cucumber Beetle (Spotted) (Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi), Cucumber Beetle (Striped) (Acalymma vittatum), Diamondback Moth (Plutella xylostella), European Chafer (Rhizotrogus majalis), European Corn Borer (aka Corn Borer) (Ostrinia nubilalis), Flea Beetle (Chaetocnema confines), Grape Leafhopper (Erythroneura elegantula), Grasshopper (Gryllus), Greenhouse whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum), Grubs (Mult), Harlequin Bugs (Murgantia histrionica), June Bugs (Phyllophaga sp.), Lace Bugs (Corythucha sp), Leafhopper (Circulifer tenellus), Mealybug (Pseudococcus sp), Mole Crickets (Scapteriscus sp), Pecan weevil (Pecan weevil), Potato Leafhopper (Empoasca fabae), Potato Leafhopper; Bean Jassid (Empoasca fabae), Psyllids (Mult), Root Weevil (Otiorhynchus sp.), Silverleaf whitefly (Bemisia sp), Strawberry Root Weevil (Otiorhynchus ovatus), Sweet Potato Whitefly (Bemisia tabaci), Tarnished Plant Bug (Lygus lineolaris), Thrips (Franklinothrips sp), Weevils (Mult), White Grubs (Cyclocephala)
    Quoting: Arbico ORGANICS

Quoting: SMITHSTONIANmag.com
    Beauveria Bassiana spores are deadly to a wide range of insects, says Susan Mahr for the University of Wisconsin – Madison:

As with all insect-pathogenic fungi, Beauveria produces spores that are resistant to environmental extremes and are the infective stage of the fungal life cycle. The spores (called conidia in this case) infect directly through the outside of the insect’s skin. Under favorable temperature and moisture conditions, a conidium (singular of “conidia”) adhering to the host cuticle will germinate. The fungal hypha growing from the spore secretes enzymes which attack and dissolve the cuticle, allowing it to penetrate the skin and grow into the insect body. Once inside the insect it produces a toxin called Beauvericin that weakens the host’s immune system. After the insect dies, an antibiotic (oosporein) is produced that enables the fungus to outcompete intestinal bacteria. Eventually the entire body cavity is filled with fungal mass. When conditions are favorable the fungus will grow through the softer parts of the insect’s body, producing the characteristic “white bloom” appearance.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/this-fungus-is-the-ultimate-bedbug-killer-180947815/#5CSRutgyal3vhd2y.99
    Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Make it a great day! I will. S

36. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 17:08:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBHaterFungusLover,
    How did you chose 3 years. I've read bed bugs live maximum 18 months.

37. BBhaterFungusLover

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 17:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimexa is not completely safe do not breath in silica gel or ingest, neither is crossfire...Just some more info to share.
    Sorry about the previous double post. :/

Crossfire: Issue Date: 19-May-2015
    Product identifier
    Product Name:
    EPA Registration Number:
    Other means of identification Other Information:
    Revision Date: 19-May-2015
    Crossfire® Bed Bug Concentrate 1021-2776
    Crossfire is a registered trademark of Sumitomo Chemical Co., LTD.
    Version: 1
    SAFETY DATA SHEET
    1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
    Recommended use of the chemical and restrictions on use: Recommended Use: Insecticide.
    Details of the supplier of the safety data sheet
    Manufacturer Address: FAX #:
    McLaughlin Gormley King Company (763) 544-6437
    8810 10th Avenue North
    Minneapolis, MN 55427
    Telephone Number: (800) 645-6466, or (763) 544-0341 e-Mail Address: mgk-sds@mgk.com
    Emergency telephone numbers:
    24 Hour TRANSPORTATION Emergency: CHEMTREC®: (800) 424-9300
    International:
    24 Hour MEDICAL Emergency: Comments:
    Classification
    OSHA Regulatory Status:
    (703) 527-3887 SafetyCall®: (888) 740-8712, or (952) 852-9509
    MGK® Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm CST, 14:00 to 22:30 GMT.
    For MEDICAL EMERGENCIES or PESTICIDE INCIDENTS, call 24 hours a day to (888) 740-8712, or (952) 852-9509.
    2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    This chemical is considered hazardous by the 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200).
    Acute toxicity - Inhalation (Dusts/Mists)
    Category 4
    Label elements
    WARNING
    Hazard statements
    Emergency Overview

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Page 1/8

Crossfire® Bed Bug Concentrate Revision Date: 19-May-2015 _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Appearance: White Physical state: Liquid Odor Mild , Solvent
    Precautionary Statements - Prevention:
    P201 - Obtain special instructions before use
    P202 - Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood P281 - Use personal protective equipment as required
    P261 - Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray
    P271 - Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
    Precautionary Statements - Response:
    P308 + P313 - IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/attention
    P304 + P340 - IF INHALED: Remove victim to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing
    Precautionary Statements - Storage:
    P405 - Store locked up
    Precautionary Statements - Disposal:
    P501 - Dispose of contents/container to an approved waste disposal plant
    Hazards not otherwise classified (HNOC):
    Not applicable.
    *The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret.
    Comments: Ingredients not identified are proprietary or non-hazardous. Values are not product specifications.
    Aspiration pneumonia hazard: Description of first aid measures:
    Eye contact: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5minutes, then continue rinsing eye. Call a
    poison control center or doctor for treatment advice.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    3. COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    Chemical Name
    CAS No
    Weight-%
    Metofluthrin
    240494-70-6
    Clothianidin
    210880-92-5
    Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO)
    51-03-6
    4. FIRST AID MEASURES
    Page 2/8

Crossfire® Bed Bug Concentrate Revision Date: 19-May-2015 _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Skin Contact: Ingestion:
    Inhalation:
    Self-protection of the First Responder:
    Note to physicians:
    Suitable extinguishing media
    Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control centeror doctor for treatment advice.
    If swallowed, IMMEDIATELY call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or a doctor. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
    Remove affected person to fresh air. If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificialrespiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth if possible. Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice.
    Use personal protective equipment as required.
    For skin effects, a highly efficient therapeutic agent for Pyrethrin/ Pyrethroid exposure is topical application of tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E).
    5. FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
    Use extinguishing measures that are appropriate to local circumstances and the surrounding environment.
    Unsuitable extinguishing media:
    Caution: Use of water spray when fighting fire may be inefficient. Hazardous combustion products: Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide (CO2).
    Specific hazards arising from the chemical
    No information available.
    Explosion data
    Sensitivity to Mechanical Impact: None. Sensitivity to Static Discharge: None.
    Protective equipment and precautions for firefighters:
    As in any fire, wear self-contained breathing apparatus pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent) and full protective gear.
    NFPA Health hazards 2 HMIS Health hazards 1
    Flammability 1 Flammability 1
    Instability 0 Physical hazards 0
    Physical and Chemical Properties -
    Personal protection X
    Chronic Hazard Star Legend * = Chronic Health Hazard
    6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
    Personal precautions, protective equipment and emergency procedures
    Personal precautions: Environmental precautions:
    Use personal protective equipment as required. Evacuate personnel to safe areas. Keep people away from and upwind of spill/leak.
    Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so. Do not allow into any sewer, on the ground or into any body of water. Prevent product from entering drains. Local authorities should be advised if significant spillages cannot be contained. See Section 12 for additional ecological information.
    Page 3/8

Methods and material for containment and cleaning up
    Methods for containment: Methods for cleaning up:
    Precautions for safe handling Advice on safe handling:
    Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so.
    Dam up. Soak up with inert absorbent material. Pick up and transfer to properly labeled containers. Clean contaminated surface thoroughly.
    Use personal protective equipment as required. Ensure adequate ventilation, especially in confined areas. Use with local exhaust ventilation. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray. For more information, see product label.
    7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
    Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
    Storage Conditions:
    Control parameters Exposure Guidelines:
    Keep container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Keep containers tightly closed in a cool, well-ventilated place. Keep in properly labeled containers. For more information, see product label.
    This product, as supplied, does not contain any hazardous materials with occupational exposure limits established by the region specific regulatory bodies.
    8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/ PERSONAL PROTECTION
    Appropriate engineering controls
    Engineering Controls: Safety showers Eyewash stations
    Ventilation systems
    Individual protection measures, such as personal protective equipment
    Eye/face protection:
    Skin and body protection: Respiratory protection:
    General Hygiene Considerations:
    Tight sealing safety goggles. Face protection shield. Wear protective gloves and protective clothing.
    If exposure limits are exceeded or irritation is experienced, NIOSH/MSHA approved respiratory protection should be worn. Positive-pressure supplied air respirators may be required for high airborne contaminant concentrations. Respiratory protection must be provided in accordance with current local regulations.
    When using do not eat, drink or smoke. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Regular cleaning of equipment, work area and clothing is recommended.
    9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
    Information on basic physical and chemical properties: Physical state: Liquid
    Appearance: White _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Page 4/8

Odor
    Odor threshold:
    Color (Gardner Scale):
    Property:
    pH:
    Melting point / freezing point: Boiling point / boiling range: Flash point:
    Evaporation rate: Flammability (solid, gas): Upper flammability limit (UEL): Lower flammability limit (LEL): Vapor pressure:
    Vapor density:
    Specific Gravity:
    Partition coefficient; n-Octanol/ Water:
    Autoignition temperature: Decomposition temperature: Kinematic viscosity:
    Dynamic viscosity:
    Refractive Index:
    Other Information:
    Density:
    VOC Content (%):
    Miscibility/ Solubility: Water:
    Reactivity
    No data available
    Chemical stability
    Mild , Solvent
    No information available No information available
    Values:
    No information available No information available > 93.3 °C / > 200.0 °F
    No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available
    No information available
    No information available
    No information available
    No information available 283 @ 20°C, 337 @ 40°C, cPs.
    No information available
    1.022 g/cm3 @ 22.5 °C 0.72
    No information available

@ 25.2 °C. .
    (estimate; based on components);
    Stable under recommended storage conditions.
    Possibility of Hazardous Reactions
    10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
    None under normal processing.
    Hazardous polymerization: Hazardous polymerization does not occur.
    Conditions to avoid
    Extremes of temperature and direct sunlight.
    Incompatible materials:
    Incompatible with strong acids and bases. Incompatible with oxidizing agents.
    Hazardous Decomposition Products
    Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide (CO2).
    Page 5/8

Numerical measures of toxicity - Product Information
    11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
    Oral LD50 Dermal LD50 Inhalation LC50
    Eye contact:
    Skin Contact: Sensitization:
    Piperonyl Butoxide: Carcinogenicity/ Oncogenicity:
    Carcinogenicity
    Reproductive toxicity: Developmental Toxicity
    Teratogenicity:
    STOT - single exposure: STOT - repeated exposure:
    Chronic toxicity:
    Ecotoxicity:
    Persistence and degradability
    Bioaccumulation
    >5,000 (Female rats) mg/kg 5,000 mg/kg (rabbit)
    2.15 mg/L (rat; 4 hours) Non-irritating to eyes. Non-irritating to the skin. Non-sensitizer. (guinea pig).
    Marginally higher incidences of benign liver tumors in mice were observed following lifetime high dose exposures to PBO. The significance of these observations is questionable and under review. The doses at which tumors were observed for PBO greatly exceeded potential human exposure from labeled uses. Doses at which these effects were observed greatly exceeded anticipated human dietary intake. At anticipated dietary exposure levels, it is highly unlikely that this product will result in carcinogenic effects.
    This product does not contain any carcinogens or potential carcinogens as listed by OSHA, IARC or NTP.
    No information available. No information available. No information available. No information available. No information available. Avoid repeated exposure.
    12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
    Other adverse effects: No information available
    Environmental hazards (EPA):
    Do not discharge effluent containing this product into lakes, streams, ponds, estuaries, oceans or other waters unless in accordance with the requirements of a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit and the permitting authority has been notified in writing prior to discharge. Do not discharge effluent containing this product to sewer systems without previously notifying the local sewage treatment plant authority. For guidance contact your State Water Board or Regional Office of the EPA.
    Waste treatment methods
    Disposal of wastes: Disposal should be in accordance with applicable regional, national and local laws
    and regulations. For more information, see product label.
    Contaminated packaging: For more information, see product label. _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
    Page 6/8

DOT (Department of Transportation)
    14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION
    Proper Shipping Name: Hazard Class:
    Other Shipping Information:
    Air (IATA/ ICAO)
    Note:
    Vessel (IMO/ IMDG)
    US Federal Regulations
    SARA 313
    Insecticides, Insect or Animal Repellent, Liquid Non-Hazardous
    This material is not regulated by the DOT as a hazardous material when shipped in Non-Bulk quantities (i.e., less-than 119 Gallons / 450 Liters).
    When shipping in Bulk-quantities (i.e., more than 119 Gallons / 450 Liters), please contact MGK® for the proper shipping description.
    Not considered hazardous by IATA/ ICAO regulations for transportation via air. Not available
    15. REGULATORY INFORMATION
    Section 313 of Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA). This product contains a chemical or chemicals which are subject to the reporting requirements of the Act and Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 372
    SARA 311/312 Hazard Categories
    Acute health hazard No Chronic Health Hazard No Fire hazard No Sudden release of pressure hazard No Reactive Hazard No
    CWA (Clean Water Act)
    This product does not contain any substances regulated as pollutants pursuant to the Clean Water Act (40 CFR 122.21 and 40 CFR 122.42)
    CERCLA
    This material, as supplied, does not contain any substances regulated as hazardous substances under the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) (40 CFR 302) or the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) (40 CFR 355). There may be specific reporting requirements at the local, regional, or state level pertaining to releases of this material
    Chemical Name
    SARA 313 - Threshold Values %
    Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO) - 51-03-6
    Page 7/8

US State Regulations:
    California Proposition 65:
    This product does not contain any Proposition 65 chemicals
    U.S. EPA Label Information:
    EPA Registration Number: 1021-2776
    Difference between SDS and EPA (FIFRA) Pesticide label:
    This chemical is a pesticide product registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and is subject to certain labeling requirements under federal pesticide law. These requirements differ from the classification criteria and hazard information required for Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and for workplace labels of non-pesticide chemicals. The pesticide label also includes other important information, including directions for use. The hazard information required on the pesticide label is reproduced below:
    International:
    TSCA Does not comply DSL/NDSL Does not comply EINECS/ELINCS Does not comply ENCS Does not comply IECSC Does not comply KECL Does not comply PICCS Does not comply AICS Does not comply
    Legend:
    TSCA - United States Toxic Substances Control Act Section 8(b) Inventory
    DSL/NDSL - Canadian Domestic Substances List/Non-Domestic Substances List
    EINECS/ELINCS - European Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances/European List of Notified Chemical Substances
    ENCS - Japan Existing and New Chemical Substances
    IECSC - China Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances
    KECL - Korean Existing and Evaluated Chemical Substances
    PICCS - Philippines Inventory of Chemicals and Chemical Substances
    AICS - Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances
    16. OTHER INFORMATION, INCLUDING DATE OF PREPARATION OR LAST REVISION.
    Issue Date:
    24-Aug-2015
    SDS Prepared By:
    e-Mail Address:
    Disclaimer:
    Revision Date: Revision Note:
    19-May-2015 New SDS, GHS - Classification.
    Troy Azzivitto, MGK® Chemistry Department. mgk-sds@mgk.com
    The data contained herein are based on information currently available to McLaughlin Gormley King Company and,to the best of our knowledge, are accurate and based on sound expert opinion. Our statements herein, however, are not to betaken as a warranty or representation for which McLaughlin Gormley King Company assumes legal responsibility.
    End of Safety Data Sheet.
    Page 8/8
    Cimexa: Issue Date: 19-May-2015
    Product identifier
    Product Name:
    EPA Registration Number:
    Other means of identification Other Information:
    Revision Date: 19-May-2015
    Crossfire® Bed Bug Concentrate 1021-2776
    Crossfire is a registered trademark of Sumitomo Chemical Co., LTD.
    Version: 1
    SAFETY DATA SHEET
    1. PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
    Recommended use of the chemical and restrictions on use: Recommended Use: Insecticide.
    Details of the supplier of the safety data sheet
    Manufacturer Address: FAX #:
    McLaughlin Gormley King Company (763) 544-6437
    8810 10th Avenue North
    Minneapolis, MN 55427
    Telephone Number: (800) 645-6466, or (763) 544-0341 e-Mail Address: mgk-sds@mgk.com
    Emergency telephone numbers:
    24 Hour TRANSPORTATION Emergency: CHEMTREC®: (800) 424-9300
    International:
    24 Hour MEDICAL Emergency: Comments:
    Classification
    OSHA Regulatory Status:
    (703) 527-3887 SafetyCall®: (888) 740-8712, or (952) 852-9509
    MGK® Hours of operation are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm CST, 14:00 to 22:30 GMT.
    For MEDICAL EMERGENCIES or PESTICIDE INCIDENTS, call 24 hours a day to (888) 740-8712, or (952) 852-9509.
    2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    This chemical is considered hazardous by the 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200).
    Acute toxicity - Inhalation (Dusts/Mists)
    Category 4
    Label elements
    WARNING
    Hazard statements
    Emergency Overview

Page 1/8

Appearance: White Physical state: Liquid Odor Mild , Solvent
    Precautionary Statements - Prevention:
    P201 - Obtain special instructions before use
    P202 - Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood P281 - Use personal protective equipment as required
    P261 - Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray
    P271 - Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area
    Precautionary Statements - Response:
    P308 + P313 - IF exposed or concerned: Get medical advice/attention
    P304 + P340 - IF INHALED: Remove victim to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing
    Precautionary Statements - Storage:
    P405 - Store locked up
    Precautionary Statements - Disposal:
    P501 - Dispose of contents/container to an approved waste disposal plant
    Hazards not otherwise classified (HNOC):
    Not applicable.
    *The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret.
    Comments: Ingredients not identified are proprietary or non-hazardous. Values are not product specifications.
    Aspiration pneumonia hazard: Description of first aid measures:
    Eye contact: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5minutes, then continue rinsing eye. Call a
    poison control center or doctor for treatment advice.
    3. COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    Chemical Name
    CAS No
    Weight-%
    Metofluthrin
    240494-70-6
    Clothianidin
    210880-92-5
    Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO)
    51-03-6
    4. FIRST AID MEASURES
    Page 2/8

Skin Contact: Ingestion:
    Inhalation:
    Self-protection of the First Responder:
    Note to physicians:
    Suitable extinguishing media
    Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control centeror doctor for treatment advice.
    If swallowed, IMMEDIATELY call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or a doctor. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
    Remove affected person to fresh air. If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificialrespiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth if possible. Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice.
    Use personal protective equipment as required.
    For skin effects, a highly efficient therapeutic agent for Pyrethrin/ Pyrethroid exposure is topical application of tocopherol acetate (Vitamin E).
    5. FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
    Use extinguishing measures that are appropriate to local circumstances and the surrounding environment.
    Unsuitable extinguishing media:
    Caution: Use of water spray when fighting fire may be inefficient. Hazardous combustion products: Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide (CO2).
    Specific hazards arising from the chemical
    Explosion data
    Sensitivity to Mechanical Impact: None. Sensitivity to Static Discharge: None.
    Protective equipment and precautions for firefighters:
    As in any fire, wear self-contained breathing apparatus pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent) and full protective gear.
    NFPA Health hazards 2 HMIS Health hazards 1
    Flammability 1 Flammability 1
    Instability 0 Physical hazards 0
    Physical and Chemical Properties -
    Personal protection X
    Chronic Hazard Star Legend * = Chronic Health Hazard
    6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
    Personal precautions, protective equipment and emergency procedures
    Personal precautions: Environmental precautions:
    Use personal protective equipment as required. Evacuate personnel to safe areas. Keep people away from and upwind of spill/leak.
    Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so. Do not allow into any sewer, on the ground or into any body of water. Prevent product from entering drains. Local authorities should be advised if significant spillages cannot be contained. See Section 12 for additional ecological information.
    Page 3/8

Methods and material for containment and cleaning up
    Methods for containment: Methods for cleaning up:
    Precautions for safe handling Advice on safe handling:
    Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so.
    Dam up. Soak up with inert absorbent material. Pick up and transfer to properly labeled containers. Clean contaminated surface thoroughly.
    Use personal protective equipment as required. Ensure adequate ventilation, especially in confined areas. Use with local exhaust ventilation. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray. For more information, see product label.
    7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
    Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
    Storage Conditions:
    Control parameters Exposure Guidelines:
    Keep container tightly closed in a dry and well-ventilated place. Keep containers tightly closed in a cool, well-ventilated place. Keep in properly labeled containers. For more information, see product label.
    This product, as supplied, does not contain any hazardous materials with occupational exposure limits established by the region specific regulatory bodies.
    8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/ PERSONAL PROTECTION
    Appropriate engineering controls
    Engineering Controls: Safety showers Eyewash stations
    Ventilation systems
    Individual protection measures, such as personal protective equipment
    Eye/face protection:
    Skin and body protection: Respiratory protection:
    General Hygiene Considerations:
    Tight sealing safety goggles. Face protection shield. Wear protective gloves and protective clothing.
    If exposure limits are exceeded or irritation is experienced, NIOSH/MSHA approved respiratory protection should be worn. Positive-pressure supplied air respirators may be required for high airborne contaminant concentrations. Respiratory protection must be provided in accordance with current local regulations.
    When using do not eat, drink or smoke. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Regular cleaning of equipment, work area and clothing is recommended.
    9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
    Information on basic physical and chemical properties: Physical state: Liquid
    Appearance: White _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Page 4/8

Odor
    Odor threshold:
    Color (Gardner Scale):
    Property:
    pH:
    Melting point / freezing point: Boiling point / boiling range: Flash point:
    Evaporation rate: Flammability (solid, gas): Upper flammability limit (UEL): Lower flammability limit (LEL): Vapor pressure:
    Vapor density:
    Specific Gravity:
    Partition coefficient; n-Octanol/ Water:
    Autoignition temperature: Decomposition temperature: Kinematic viscosity:
    Dynamic viscosity:
    Refractive Index:
    Other Information:
    Density:
    VOC Content (%):
    Miscibility/ Solubility: Water:
    Reactivity
    No data available
    Chemical stability
    Mild , Solvent
    No information available No information available
    Values:
    No information available No information available > 93.3 °C / > 200.0 °F
    No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available No information available
    No information available
    No information available
    No information available
    No information available 283 @ 20°C, 337 @ 40°C, cPs.
    No information available
    1.022 g/cm3 @ 22.5 °C 0.72
    No information available

@ 25.2 °C. .
    (estimate; based on components);
    Stable under recommended storage conditions.
    Possibility of Hazardous Reactions
    10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
    None under normal processing.
    Hazardous polymerization: Hazardous polymerization does not occur.
    Conditions to avoid
    Extremes of temperature and direct sunlight.
    Incompatible materials:
    Incompatible with strong acids and bases. Incompatible with oxidizing agents.
    Hazardous Decomposition Products
    Carbon monoxide, Carbon dioxide (CO2).
    Page 5/8

Numerical measures of toxicity - Product Information
    11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
    Oral LD50 Dermal LD50 Inhalation LC50
    Eye contact:
    Skin Contact: Sensitization:
    Piperonyl Butoxide: Carcinogenicity/ Oncogenicity:
    Carcinogenicity
    Reproductive toxicity: Developmental Toxicity
    Teratogenicity:
    STOT - single exposure: STOT - repeated exposure:
    Chronic toxicity:
    Ecotoxicity:
    Persistence and degradability
    Bioaccumulation
    >5,000 (Female rats) mg/kg 5,000 mg/kg (rabbit)
    2.15 mg/L (rat; 4 hours) Non-irritating to eyes. Non-irritating to the skin. Non-sensitizer. (guinea pig).
    Marginally higher incidences of benign liver tumors in mice were observed following lifetime high dose exposures to PBO. The significance of these observations is questionable and under review. The doses at which tumors were observed for PBO greatly exceeded potential human exposure from labeled uses. Doses at which these effects were observed greatly exceeded anticipated human dietary intake. At anticipated dietary exposure levels, it is highly unlikely that this product will result in carcinogenic effects.
    This product does not contain any carcinogens or potential carcinogens as listed by OSHA, IARC or NTP.
    No information available. No information available. No information available. No information available. No information available. Avoid repeated exposure.
    12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
    Other adverse effects: No information available
    Environmental hazards (EPA):
    Do not discharge effluent containing this product into lakes, streams, ponds, estuaries, oceans or other waters unless in accordance with the requirements of a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit and the permitting authority has been notified in writing prior to discharge. Do not discharge effluent containing this product to sewer systems without previously notifying the local sewage treatment plant authority. For guidance contact your State Water Board or Regional Office of the EPA.
    Waste treatment methods
    Disposal of wastes: Disposal should be in accordance with applicable regional, national and local laws
    and regulations. For more information, see product label.
    Contaminated packaging: For more information, see product label. _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
    Page 6/8

DOT (Department of Transportation)
    14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION
    Other Shipping Information:
    Air (IATA/ ICAO)
    Note:
    Vessel (IMO/ IMDG)
    US Federal Regulations
    SARA 313
    This material is not regulated by the DOT as a hazardous material when shipped in Non-Bulk quantities (i.e., less-than 119 Gallons / 450 Liters).
    When shipping in Bulk-quantities (i.e., more than 119 Gallons / 450 Liters), please contact MGK® for the proper shipping description.
    Not considered hazardous by IATA/ ICAO regulations for transportation via air. Not available
    15. REGULATORY INFORMATION
    Section 313 of Title III of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (SARA). This product contains a chemical or chemicals which are subject to the reporting requirements of the Act and Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 372
    SARA 311/312 Hazard Categories
    Acute health hazard No Chronic Health Hazard No Fire hazard No Sudden release of pressure hazard No Reactive Hazard No
    CWA (Clean Water Act)
    This product does not contain any substances regulated as pollutants pursuant to the Clean Water Act (40 CFR 122.21 and 40 CFR 122.42)
    CERCLA
    This material, as supplied, does not contain any substances regulated as hazardous substances under the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) (40 CFR 302) or the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) (40 CFR 355). There may be specific reporting requirements at the local, regional, or state level pertaining to releases of this material
    Chemical Name
    SARA 313 - Threshold Values %
    Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO) - 51-03-6
    Page 7/8

US State Regulations:
    California Proposition 65:
    This product does not contain any Proposition 65 chemicals
    U.S. EPA Label Information:
    EPA Registration Number: 1021-2776
    Difference between SDS and EPA (FIFRA) Pesticide label:
    This chemical is a pesticide product registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and is subject to certain labeling requirements under federal pesticide law. These requirements differ from the classification criteria and hazard information required for Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and for workplace labels of non-pesticide chemicals. The pesticide label also includes other important information, including directions for use. The hazard information required on the pesticide label is reproduced below:
    International:
    TSCA Does not comply DSL/NDSL Does not comply EINECS/ELINCS Does not comply ENCS Does not comply IECSC Does not comply KECL Does not comply PICCS Does not comply AICS Does not comply
    Legend:
    TSCA - United States Toxic Substances Control Act Section 8(b) Inventory
    DSL/NDSL - Canadian Domestic Substances List/Non-Domestic Substances List
    EINECS/ELINCS - European Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances/European List of Notified Chemical Substances
    ENCS - Japan Existing and New Chemical Substances
    IECSC - China Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances
    KECL - Korean Existing and Evaluated Chemical Substances
    PICCS - Philippines Inventory of Chemicals and Chemical Substances
    AICS - Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances
    16. OTHER INFORMATION, INCLUDING DATE OF PREPARATION OR LAST REVISION.
    Issue Date:
    24-Aug-2015
    SDS Prepared By:
    e-Mail Address:
    Disclaimer:
    Revision Date: Revision Note:
    19-May-2015 New SDS, GHS - Classification.
    Troy Azzivitto, MGK® Chemistry Department. mgk-sds@mgk.com
    The data contained herein are based on information currently available to McLaughlin Gormley King Company and,to the best of our knowledge, are accurate and based on sound expert opinion. Our statements herein, however, are not to betaken as a warranty or representation for which McLaughlin Gormley King Company assumes legal responsibility.
    End of Safety Data Sheet.
    Page 8/8

38. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Dec 5 2017 18:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BBHaterFungusLover,
    How did you chose 3 years. I've read bed bugs live maximum 18 months.

39. Ombugsman

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 2:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wonder if he is just trying to sell these products, because BBFungus is gonna kick some Bed Bug ass.

Here's what I wrote a few months earlier. Does this sound like a person who's trying to suppress Aprehend?

The best pesticide IMO is one which is safe, kills resistant and non-resistant bugs, and achieves high kill rate after brief exposure. CimeXa fits that profile but it's tedious and time-consuming to apply if you're treating an entire residence. Another product which appears to meet that test is the Beauveria-based Aprehend which should be available in the next few months. Aprehend is administered in spray form so it should be more appealing to PCOs hired by landlords since they will be to apply it faster (and therefore cheaper to landlords). There likely will a paradigm shift over time from seeking out bed bugs to strategically placing Aprehend and CimeXa in various parts of the residence. There should be no need for decluttering, emptying closets/dressers etc., treating outlets/paintings/electronics etc. All of that, of course, hinges on Aprehend working as advertised.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Ombugsman, lol! Almost every, if not every product on the market to kill bed bugs is NOT ingestible....Cimexa is not completely safe do not breath in silica gel or ingest, neither is crossfire

Yes but the SDS for those products do NOT state they could kill you if they enter your airways like the Aprehend SDS does. I don't recall the SDS of products like Temprid and Transport using that language either. That should give one pause until more information is obtained on this particular risk. And neither CimeXa nor Crossfire requires a respirator unlike Aprehend. Both Crossfire and CimeXa are in the lowest toxicity category, Aprehend in the highest. Finally, both CimeXa and Crossfire are now in widespread use. Aprehend is just hitting the market so there are more unknowns in terms of both safety and efficacy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I personally used a mask specified to block petroleum distillates, I AM NOT recommending self administration of Beauveria bassiana

The product is ONLY available to licensed PCOs so self-administration of Aprehend is not even an option. In fact all the leading pesticides may be purchased directly by a non-professional although some states restrict use of certain pesticides to licensed PCOs. Again that should raise some obvious questions about the safety risks of the product.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And when used properly it is safe....BotaniGard ES uses Beauveria bassiana, a beneficial fungus, to target and control a wide variety of soft-bodied insects in greenhouse, field and nursery crops such as Whiteflies, Thrips, Aphids, Psyllids, Mealybugs, scarab beetles and Weevils.

Both use the fungus but in different concentrations and formulations. Botanigard is not registered for home/indoor use. To my mind there's a big difference in applying a beauveria product to crops or a greenhouse versus your mattress and box spring. And if the product's SDS says this microbial pesticide could kill me if it gets in my lungs, I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig to have some PCO spray it all over my bedroom. Though there have been some reported health problems, the overall safety record of beauveria is a good one but that does not include its presence in bedrooms over an extended period of time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    just letting people know this is an amazing breakthrough to kill resistant Bed Bugs.

I think most people are aware of its promise. But like the title of the thread states, only time in the field will reveal how effective and safe it is. I think it probably will live up to the hype but there is no guarantee. I could find no actual field test data for Aprehend on its website, only lab tests. Many products have been promising in lab tests but didn't perform so well in actual infested homes. I would also like the company to provide more detail on that health risk identified in the SDS.

*************************************************************************************************************************

I hope this product will be a game changer. I think if you go the DIY route, you have a great chance to eliminate the bed bugs using Crossfire and CimeXa (both of which were developed to specifically combat resistant bedbugs). However, the same is not true for using a PCO, especially the landlord's PCO. Most PCOs aren't very knowledgeable about bedbugs and either use products which don't have a chance of eradicating the bugs or they use good ones but the bug strain they encounter happens to be resistant to their pesticides. Hence the term "spray and pray". It would be wonderful if Aprehend proves to be a safe, effective and sufficiently inexpensive pesticide that PCOs will embrace. Too many people (including landlords) waste too much money on failed PCO attempts at eradication.

40. BBhaterFungusLover

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Dec 6 2017 13:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, I just forgot about them, my son asked to get them out when we set up our Christmas stuff.
    And to Bugsman ok. You said your piece. The people will have to decide for themselves. I am outtie. Have a great day! OHMMMMM~~~~~ Time to meditate.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,469 posts in 46,588 topics over 142 months by 20,549 of 21,415 members. Latest: Losingit1011, srbutler, Nomorepleaze