(9 posts)
  1. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 9 2017 11:29:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

Neighbors in my apartment building, located two floors away, have a bed bug infestation. I found a single, dazed bug in my bathtub, and after asking questions, I learned that this was because a neighbor used a consumer fogger earlier that day.

The ultimate step here is to RUN AWAY. I am moving, but it is obviously going to take me anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to secure a new apartment.

For prevention, here is what I have done so far:
    -All drains are blocked, 24 hours.
    -Mattress and boxspring encased.
    -DE placed behind socket and switch plates and at holes where pipes and wires enter apartment.
    -Ecoraider misted on all wooden furniture, cloth items, and on floors and walls.

Future plans:
    -MOVE asap
    -Carpet tape perimeter around bed (my frame does not have four standard legs).
    -plastic plugs in all electric sockets

If I find any bugs in my unit, I am calling a professional and charging my landlord.

I am also considering some precautions when I move. I will most likely buy a ZappBug or other oven, and treat everything that I can with it before sealing in plastic tubs or bags. I might begin doing this long ahead of my actual move date. Prior to moving out, I also intend to spray the interior of my moving truck and the hallway areas that I will have to move my possessions through with a contact killer.

I welcome advice, observations, and suggestions from all.

2. bedbugbadbug

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 10:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ozzymandias,

I completely sympathize with you in your concern as I'm going through similar situation but with a roommate...

Since your place is not yet infested, what I would do if I were moving with furniture would sound like a complete overkill...

but being very paranoid at the moment, I would set aside a set of everyday clothes for 2 weeks and put them away in garbage bags after having them through washer/dryer just to avoid any possibility of infestation being at home and spreading to office and other places. As I move out, I don't know how much stuff you have, but I've done some math...if you go through Zappbug/garbage bags/nuvan strips, etc., you would spend about $400...in NYC, if I fumigate a 10' Uhaul truck, it would cost $700+tax. For additional $350, you can fully treat all your furniture as well and wouldn't have to go through hours/days of rigorous Zappbug and packing. But then again, this is what I would've done if my stuff included furniture. I only really have 10 garbage bags of stuff including everything, so Zappbug and Nuvan strips sounded reasonable for me.

Again though, above may be a complete overkill for someone who doesn't have infestation in one's house but in neighbor's...but I hope it helped a bit. Good luck!

3. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 11:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

The carpet tape perimeter around your bed will have to be changed often. Any dust, etc., will render it useless (and I'm not sure it's guaranteed to stop bed bugs even when new so perhaps research that scenario a bit more).

4. Livingagain

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 12:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimexa dust is more effective than DE. I think the ZappBug has a pretty big size. That will save you some time.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 12:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Post an image of any suspected bed bugs, you're quite some distance from the infestation.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  6. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugbadbug - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hi Ozzymandias,
    I completely sympathize with you in your concern as I'm going through similar situation but with a roommate...
    Since your place is not yet infested, what I would do if I were moving with furniture would sound like a complete overkill...
    but being very paranoid at the moment, I would set aside a set of everyday clothes for 2 weeks and put them away in garbage bags after having them through washer/dryer just to avoid any possibility of infestation being at home and spreading to office and other places. As I move out, I don't know how much stuff you have, but I've done some math...if you go through Zappbug/garbage bags/nuvan strips, etc., you would spend about $400...in NYC, if I fumigate a 10' Uhaul truck, it would cost $700+tax. For additional $350, you can fully treat all your furniture as well and wouldn't have to go through hours/days of rigorous Zappbug and packing. But then again, this is what I would've done if my stuff included furniture. I only really have 10 garbage bags of stuff including everything, so Zappbug and Nuvan strips sounded reasonable for me.
    Again though, above may be a complete overkill for someone who doesn't have infestation in one's house but in neighbor's...but I hope it helped a bit. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Bedbugbadbug, I sent you a private message . . . take a look, they can be hard to find on here. It's in the column to the right. Anyway, I am kind of against the precautionary fumigation because Vikane gas is a potent greenhouse gas that is 5,000 times more effective than CO2 at trapping heat within the earth's atmosphere (I Wikipediaed this), and I am not wild about bathing everything I own in poison gas. I looked into heat treatment for a truck and I was quoted a price of $1,250 for the service closest to me, and that would still be an hour or so drive. I think I'll get a gallon of Harris Resistant BBK to mist anything that I can't get into a ZappBug (bedframe, kitchen table, chairs, etc.), and I will just chuck some stuff. I think I'm looking at about an additional $300-$400 (see below) after what I've already spent on DE and Ecoraider, and I will get preventative use from the ZappBug even if I never see another one of these things in my life again (fingers crossed). Indeed, I've discussed reselling a ZappBug to other neighbors on my floor, so that cost might go down, but I think I would prefer keeping it around to treat suitcases after traveling. So, I'm looking at about $850 in extra cost to heat treat my moving van. Again, I've only seen one bed bug IN my apartment, and I know for certain that it was running through the drains from a commercial fogger in the infested apartment. If I find more, my stance on this might change.

BigDummy, I am 100% on the identification, especially given the confirmation of bed bugs two floors below and the use of a fogger. I take some solace in your confidence in the distance between me and the infestation, but I'm still tweaking out.

Livingagain, thanks for the input. Do you think it's worth it to upgrade to Cimexa if I already have 4 lbs of DE and everything I am talking about here is preventative?

bugged-cdn, thanks for your input, too. Everything I mention are temporary precautions, wheels are in motion for me to move out in just 3 weeks. Since my initial post, I found a page that recommends putting bed frames like mine (does not have four legs, more like a rectangle making contact with the floor) up on small blocks of wood or hockey pucks that are set on rodent glue traps. I've had mice before, and those glue traps definitely snag every little mite that walk across them.

Again, thanks to everyone. I know that bedbugbadbug and I must sound like wimps to be this fearful of what many of you have had to confront head on . . . but it's the warnings of fine people like you and other friends that have got me this worked up about preventing an infestation in my home.

THANK YOU!!

7. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, my plan is evolving a little bit.

-I am thinking of swapping the hockey puck and rodent trap method for the carpet tape, as I mentioned above.
    -I am Adding 91% isopropyl alcohol misting of fabrics in addition to the Ecoraider. I know it can be a fire hazard to overdo it, but I'm thinking of just using this a cheap way to get contact kills on any potential eggs or babies on my clothing and bedding.
    -I will continue to put DE in spaces that sprays cannot get to and I am unlikely to disturb (behind furniture, etc)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of eggs or bugs traveling on plastic bags? If I start heating and bagging items now, will I have to do something to the outside of the bags to prevent transmission to my new apartment? Or would I just open and rebag at third site like a parking lot?

THANKS AGAIN
    (I know I've got too much to say)

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I Wikipediaed this

Wikipedia is not a definitive resource on, well, anything. Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia.

9. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Oops. Double posted.

10. Ozzymandias

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 18:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 9 minutes ago  » 

I Wikipediaed this

Wikipedia is not a definitive resource on, well, anything. Anybody can write anything on Wikipedia.

Sulbaek Andersen, M. P.; Blake, D. R.; Rowland, F. S.; Hurley, M. D.; Wallington, T. J. Atmospheric Chemistry of Sulfuryl Fluoride: Reaction with OH Radicals, Cl Atoms and O3, Atmospheric Lifetime, IR Spectrum, and Global Warming Potential. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2009, 43 (4), 1067-1070.

Better?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234