Need help identifying possible bed bug [a: not bed bug]

(9 posts)
  1. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 9:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

This morning I saw something crawling on the curtain and having had bed bugs years ago, I'm quite vigilant about this, so I catched and managed to get a photo of it. Now I'm not sure it is a bed bug, it doesn't seem to exactly look like the photos on the internet. But I've sent the photo to a PCO and he confirmed it. But I just want to be sure that they are correct, since treatment is very expensive and I don't see any other signs, nor do I notice any bites (I do realise that not everybody notices).

Can anyone confirm if it is a bed bug or not?

Thx!!

https://imgur.com/a/PbCza

2. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 9:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry accidently added a comment, can't delete

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 9:31:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a bug, but not a bed bug. Not quite sure which species or in which family it belongs. Sometimes plant feeding bugs are known to bite people, but it's actually tasting and not feeding on you.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 10:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your quick response! It does relieve me a lot, but still unsure what to do next, since the PCO did confirm it.

Are you absolutely sure? I could try to take a clearer picture since I still have the bug.

5. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 10:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Also it might be useful to add that this is in Spain and there is a basil plant next to the window where I found it on the curtain.

6. Freaked Fighter

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 12:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If Loubugs says it's not a bedbug, it's not a bedbug. Did you read the bottom of his post listing his qualifications? I don't want to sound defensive, but he is the best of the best. Your PCO is out for a quick buck and I would never call him again, for anything. They take advantage of us because they know how freaked we get over bedbugs. I am not an expert but have had them twice. That is not a bedbug. Rest easy.

7. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 12:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, yes, his background seems a lot more trustworthy than my PCO. Thanks a lot, I'm not calling him again for sure!

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 9:21:52
    #

Login to Send PM

thalium - 21 hours ago  » 
    Also it might be useful to add that this is in Spain and there is a basil plant next to the window where I found it on the curtain. Ok, yes, his background seems a lot more trustworthy than my PCO. Thanks a lot, I'm not calling him again for sure!

Your bug could be a mirid plant bug and could be associated with the basil plant. I'm not familiar with all foreign insects. The bug you have in the picture is an adult and has normal wings, something adult bed bugs do not. You should explain this to the PCO.

9. thalium

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 16:17:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I've sent your explanation to the PCO, and so far they haven't replied. Thank you so much for this confirmation, you've effectively saved me 500 euros!

Cheers

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7