Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Need expert ID [a: non-bed bug; probable cockroach]

(7 posts)
  1. flamom

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 17:08:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found a dead bug. It doesn't appear to be the whole bug and honestly, I think the shape is likely off for a BB, but the horizontal stripes and basic shape have me concerned. It is fairly flat. I snapped three pictures then rubbed it in the tissue to see how easily it broke. Unfortunately, the first few pictures aren't as in focus as I'd like and as you can see, the bug was in many pieces after I rubbed it in the tissue. I believe bed bugs abdomens don't typically break up that easily and the legs look a bit long, but I really don't know and I know the pictures aren't the best. I am 39 weeks pregnant and would love someone to hopefully tell me not BB because I don't want the additional anxiety!

Top view

Another view

Under side

After squishing with tissue

Thank you!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 17:30:12
    #

Login to Send PM

flamom:
    " It doesn't appear to be the whole bug and honestly, I think the shape is likely off for a BB, but the horizontal stripes and basic shape have me concerned. It is fairly flat."
    --Too bad somewhat out of focus, but looks more like cockroach. Nothing like a bed bug. The horizontal striping is not important because that's abdominal segmentation of insects, including bed bugs, cockroaches, crickets, grasshoppers, earwigs, beetles (but covered with the wing covers).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. flamom

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 17:33:47
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 minutes ago  » 
    flamom:
    " It doesn't appear to be the whole bug and honestly, I think the shape is likely off for a BB, but the horizontal stripes and basic shape have me concerned. It is fairly flat."
    --Too bad somewhat out of focus, but looks more like cockroach. Nothing like a bed bug. The horizontal striping is not important because that's abdominal segmentation of insects, including bed bugs, cockroaches, crickets, grasshoppers, earwigs, beetles (but covered with the wing covers).

Thank you. So can you say definitely not bed bug from picture?

4. flamom

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 12 2017 17:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

flamom - 5 minutes ago  » 

flamom:

And to confirm, I am in no way questioning your expertise, just want to make sure I understand your phrasing of "looks more like a cockroach". My anxiety tends to focus on the negative, so if the pictures can at least help you to confirm not a bed bug, please let me know. I should have checked the pictures before squashing bug. I could have gotten better ones. It was found on bathroom floor, not near bed.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 8:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To support the non bed bug diagnosis below is my "crumble test" data to show how intact them remain.

slide 2 of 2 headless bed bugs by David Cain, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 11:08:16
    #

Login to Send PM

flamom - 2 days ago  » 

And to confirm, I am in no way questioning your expertise, just want to make sure I understand your phrasing of "looks more like a cockroach". My anxiety tends to focus on the negative, so if the pictures can at least help you to confirm not a bed bug, please let me know.

Lou also said it looked "nothing like a bed bug". So you're good. It's not a bed bug. Lou is a true expert.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 12:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

flamom - 2 days ago  » 

flamom - 5 minutes ago  » 

flamom:

And to confirm, I am in no way questioning your expertise, just want to make sure I understand your phrasing of "looks more like a cockroach". My anxiety tends to focus on the negative, so if the pictures can at least help you to confirm not a bed bug, please let me know. I should have checked the pictures before squashing bug. I could have gotten better ones. It was found on bathroom floor, not near bed.

Nobugsonme also commented about my post:
    "Nothing like a bed bug" is what I wrote right before stating that it "looks more like a cockroach".
    I understand the stress you're under.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,586 posts in 41,771 topics over 127 months by 18,318 of 18,785 members. Latest: ALivingNightmare, MontanaSPC, sarasoli