(3 posts)
  1. vampiresbegone

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 23:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

This is my current situation.

Almost three weeks ago I came home from a trip abroad. While away I received a bite on my wrist, and since coming back I been bitten again repeatedly, almost every night. I inspected my entire bedroom including taking all my stuff off of my bookshelf, drying ALL of my clothes on hot for between 20-60 minutes depending on the article (I didn't wash stuff that was already clean because a lot of my clothing is very sensitive to shrinking which I read is more likely to happen when items are wet first), and basically looked everywhere that I could. I haven't seen a single bug so far, and that also goes for eggs, casings, fecal matter, and blood. However, I am still getting bit at night, so I assume that it must be bedbugs.

I am looking for advice on what the best option(s) are for me. I live in a 5 bedroom house that I rent and share with other people.

I have already done some things by myself as I was going crazy and wanted to avoid having to call a PCO and use pesticides, but after doing research, it seems that self-treatment may not be sufficient enough. Here is what I have done already: as mentioned above, I have dried pretty much everything I own that can go in the dryer for between 20-60 minutes. However, I fear that I will have to repeat this process as I have put my clothing back into my dresser and closet. My apartment is too small to have bags everywhere! (My dresser however is a plastic Rubbermaid set of drawers, so I'm wondering if bedbugs would be able to climb that since it is a slippery surface?). I took everything off the furniture that I have, inspected both the items and the furniture, and cleaned the furniture. I taped with duct tape all the cracks and crevices that I could find close to the floor and along door and window frames in my bedroom. I vacuumed everywhere and even rented a carpet cleaner. I then applied a layer of DE along the perimeter of my bedroom, my furniture, as well as on and in certain items such as my bookshelf and some boxes.

Note: I no longer have a bed because this past fall I thought I had bedbugs and threw my bed out. That time I vacuumed, carpet-cleaned, and ducted taped (some areas). It seemed to work that time, but who knows - maybe they just hibernated.

Similarly, I am skeptical as to whether any of this is working now. I only performed these treatments about three days ago (so perhaps it is too early to tell), but I still seem to be getting bites, and I am thinking that since I still can't see any bugs that perhaps they are hidden underneath where the carpet and baseboards meet where they can still come crawling under any duct tape that may be there. No one else in the house has reported being bitten yet, but I don't know if this means anything. I am worried that the infestation may grow if it has not already reached other areas.

As a result, I have started researching PCOs. Here is where my main questions come in.

Does a PCO sound like a good route to take in this case?

Did I ruin my chances of treatment or effectiveness of treatment by a PCO by doing the self-treatment that I did?

I have been in contact with Royal Forest Pest Services in Toronto who offer a treatment package that combines vacuuming, heat steaming and three chemical applications - a spray, a dry powder and a wet powder of either tyrethrine or pyrethrine (I'm not sure as I didn't hear the name properly, and I am unfamiliar with chemicals). The company does two treatments at 10-14 days apart after which they offer a lifetime guarantee stipulating that if bedbugs ever comeback they will treat the whole house again for just $69.00 (instead of $700). This company is licensed by the province, and a member of many pest control organizations as well as BBB. I believe that it is also insured. They also deal specifically with bedbugs. They are licensed to deal with other pests, but they just do bedbugs now.

What do people think of the treatment package that this company is offering?
    Is $700 a good price for a 5 bedroom home? Is it too high, too low?
    Has anyone ever used Royal Forest Pest Services before, and what was your experience?

I have called other companies - about five in total, and these guys sounded the best. I also liked that they are licensed and BBB accredited, but would like to see what other people who have dealt with bedbugs and PCOs think.

Also, another big question is regarding the safety of pesticides. Of course the company only chemicals which are legal in Canada and of course they say that they are safe for humans and pets etc. etc. BUT, what is the real story here? Can anyone weigh in? While I definitely do want to get rid of any bedbugs, I am also very concerned about the air that I and everyone in our house, including our cat, will be breathing. So it won't kill us like it will the bedbugs, but will it make us sick overtime even if right now we are healthy? And despite the companies claim that even though our cat can eat the powders placed on the floor and not get sick, I don't know if I am convinced. Any thoughts??
    (I have also looked into thermal/heat treatments which look like they may be effective, however they are well beyond our price range, and I don't know how to choose a good company as there are no standards in Ontario yet that I know for these operations. Additionally, the two companies that I spoke with on this matter offered very limited guarantees - 30 days, and 3 months).

Thank you so much, and apologies for the very long post!

2. scaredsilly

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 23:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Get some passive monitors (climb-up interceptors and/or BB Alert Passive) to see if you can catch a bug sample. A PCO is going to want to see tangible evidence prior to treatment. In addition, prior to hiring anyone, get references and call them! You would not believe the stories I heard when getting references (good and bad). Check around and see what the other companies are charging. Then you acan determine whether price is reasonable for your area.

3. tajoe

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 19:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with scaredsilly. You need evidence before you go with a treatment. Your scenario is very common, trip, bites. Got to have bed bugs. I would never treat with out evidence of any kind. The treatment process is stressful.

Ah dude you applied DE without a cause. In fact you have stressed your self out and now have the "Ebbie gebbies". In my opinion you have done everything wrong as far as trying to determine what is happening in your residence!

Bed bugs do not hibernate they just slow down with cold. If you give off CO2 and heat they will find you no matter what. Plus you have the heat on so they haven't slowed down.

Get some climb up monitors and make your sleeping area an Island. 1)See if you catch anything in the climb ups 2)put in a night watch system. 3)pay for a canine to come in. 4)install some clear view traps. 5)set up some insect monitors to see what else is crawling around

If there are bed bugs present there WILL be evidence, especially fecal matter.

You mentioned that there are other people living with you, well listen they may actually be the source of the problem if there are bed bugs and the problem is getting bigger or may be not as you have not found any evidence.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,370 posts in 44,500 topics over 135 months by 19,513 of 20,193 members. Latest: friendlyroommate, Unlucky, Elfinserious