Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Mystery Bites/Rash - Help!

(5 posts)
  1. BKBedBugs

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 0:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

For the past several months, every week or so, I will get what appear to be bites. I was sure it was bedbugs. So, I notified my landlord, who is kind of a POS, but sent an exterminator to look around. He spent about 20 minutes in my room looking around. He said he found nothing. So, my company actually decided they wanted to send an exterminator to be sure as well before I returned to my office, so they sent someone with a dog. The dog didn't pick up any scent in my apartment anywhere. Good news, right? Well, I am still getting these bites/marks on my body! Seems to only happen at night when I am sleeping. What the what is happening?!

Also should be noted, prior to this, I already had DE around my room (I am insane and regularly dust just in case), climb-ups, and a bedbug mattress cover. My bed is metal and I don't have a box spring. All the items I store under my bed are in air-tight bags and air-tight containers. Regardless, I've torn apart my room to find whatever this could be. And I am not finding much. I have found a what appear to be a couple carpet beetle dead larvae and possibly an adult dead carpet beetle. I looked at them with a magnifying glass, and that was my conclusion. But nothing else.

Here are some images of the bites/marks -- they start out rather light pink, and then turn darker over time. They eventually look sort of like a bruise. They don't really itch either -- but they can if I touch them too much. I went to visit family recently and my grand mom described them as "really gross -- something I should take care of."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137714676@N02/shares/3pH374

I am not really tech savvy, so hopefully that link to the photos works.

Sorry for the long email/ramble -- really hoping to figure out what is living in my room with me rent free. Any thoughts/suggestions/scoldings welcome before I set fire to myself.

2. HifromChi

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 8:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Those bites would concern me too, I know that the experts here say that bites are not definitive proof of bed bugs, but my bites looked exactly like that, and they itched like mad and I would scratch so much at them that my skin would bruise. Time to set up some passive monitors like climb ups under your bed legs and encase your mattress and box spring with bed bug proof covers (sprinkle some non-toxic DE inside each of the covers), then wait to see what happens.

Look in other places close to your bed too like dressers, nightstands, curtains, pictures hung up close to the bed, any place in your home you spend a decent amount of time in, like the couch and so on, as they don't just setup shop in the bed.

3. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Oct 26 2017 18:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, people told me no one can ID bites.

DE is apparently not very effective.
    CimeXa is better but still to slow to work IMO.

Don't set fire to yourself.

I don't think you have bed bugs (or you have very, very few).
    I would investigate a medical cause.
    It is possible for physical symptoms to have a mental cause.

Dogs are only ~95% accurate.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. NY_lady

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Oct 28 2017 3:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have pets? I had something similar last spring and the bb dog handler suggested I speak to my vet about parasites after a clean inspection. We switched flea control products and the problem went away. Still not sure if we had fleas or mites as we never saw a culprit but the new product handled both pests.

5. BKBedBugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 1 2017 3:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I’ve had no new bites, BUT my roommate was laying in bed and saw a bedbug walking across her bed! How is it possible that we do have bedbugs, but a dog and a visual inspection found nothing back in August?! Does this mean I now have millions of them?! And of course my roommate who has called me dramatic and overrating for the past 3.5 months just flipped out on me, and decided she’s leaving town for the weekend, which guess means I’ve gotta deal with this alone. I’ve contacted a inspection company with a dog for rates. They have good reviews online. I know my landlord will not pay for that, but would rather pay out of pocket and know where they are hiding out, because I can’t seem to locate them or signs of them anywhere. Then i’ll contact my landlord to have someone come spray. I’m sick to my stomach thinking about 3.5 months having gone by and not having done anything (in my defense, my landlord would not spray based on my bites alone, so didn’t have much choice, cause I couldn’t find anything!)!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1