Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Mysterious bites, particles found on bed - bed bugs or something else?

(32 posts)
  1. buggin_out

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 14:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are the facts:
    1. I have not found any bed bug fecal matter or stains on my sheets/ pillowcases
    2. I have found and gotten rid of spiders in my room a couple of times
    3. I have seen a flying insect once or twice in my room
    4. I have gotten bitten just sitting on my chair in the early evening
    5. I have woken up in the morning with a bite here or there, no breakfast-lunch-dinner sequencing
    6. The bites are bumps with redness around but do not itch that much
    7. The bites have appeared on my chest, stomach, legs, back
    8. There are never more than one or two bites at once, they seem to disappear in about a day
    9. The most recent bite I took a picture of this morning -- it has since disappeared (in about 8 hours time) - picture 1, picture 2
    10. I have on two or three occasions found one, at most two small particles on my bed -- they are hard, and I have no idea what they are - picture 3, picture 4

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if there are still spiders/ other insects so small I can't see coming out to bite me at various times. I don't think there are bed bugs but you never know. Any other details that might be helpful in detection?

2. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 15:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I've got those same "rice-like" things in my bed, too. My PCO said they looked like some type of fiber under a microscope. I can't believe it, as they are hard, not soft.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 15:57:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Got cats?

Feline tapeworms have a nasty life cycle, look it up, and the eggs are released out the cats anus and can look similar.

Jim

4. buggin_out

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 16:03:07
    #

Login to Send PM

@toledo -- have you had any other particles / evidence of BBs?

@spideyjg -- I do not have cats, but it's a relatively new apartment. No pets allowed though so I can't imagine the previous tenants had a cat.

5. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 16:15:34
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't have cats. And, yes, I've now caught 2 bed bugs in my climb-ups. I really thought these things were eggs or first-shed skins.

6. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 16:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I just pulled something similar off of my dog's ear. It is dark on one end; I have found similar tiny, translucent, sesame seed-like things with dark specks in them in my bed. The dog sleeps in my bed. They are firm and never moving. Maybe I'll put that thing in the scanner. Anybody?

Meanwhile, people swear by food grade DE in pets food for parasites.

7. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 23 2010 20:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

i have similar weird stuff in my bed and have found it from time to time over the years. white/offwhite randomly shaped crunchy things, little white things that look like salt grains or larger, and black specks that are usually around the same size. wtf?

8. buggin_out

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 2:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The one thing that puzzles me is I'm also getting bit during the early evening... or really any time I'm sitting in this chair I have. I used a flashlight to inspect the chair but haven't found anything. Wonder if there's just something really small crawling around in there.

@iseriouslyneversleep -- have you experienced other possible symptoms of bed bugs? sounds like a really similar situation to me. i have no idea what these things are

@toledo -- were there other pieces of evidence besides the bugs themselves, like fecal stains and bites etc?

9. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 10:26:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I'll find at least 6 of those rice things every single morning, on my side of the bed, on husband's side of the bed, near the top of my mattress, and near the bottom of my mattress. A few weeks ago we were seeing very small blood stains/smears, but that ended when we encased our mattress. Prior to that point, we only had the boxspring encased.

10. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 10:49:18
    #

Login to Send PM

toledo - 21 minutes ago  » 
    but that ended when we encased our mattress.

Hi Toledo,
    Are you referring to the blood stains? the rice like things? or both?

11. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 11:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Blood stains stopped, not the rice. Yesterday we took apart our bed and used a hairdryer on the bedframe, hoping to dislodge any bugs that were hiding. Never saw a thing. Next step is pillow encasements. Pillow are foam, so I had hoped that nothing could live in them.

12. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 11:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Strange, I wonder what those "rice" things are. cuz they don't look like cast skins.

13. PattiCakes

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 21:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I put boxspring and mattress encasements and then went and purchased pillow encasements. Last week my PCO did his 2 week inspection and I had bug traps set up. In one there was a nymph that looked like it had just hatched but no evidence of them other than that. This morning I found 2 bites on my chest and a blood smear but I have not seen any fecal stains yet. I keep looking every morning but haven't spotted any yet.

I think they are coming out of my carpet and/or baseboard. my PCO steamed my carpet and I re-steamed it before moving back in.

14. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 24 2010 22:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Harro? Tokyo?

15. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 0:03:21
    #

Login to Send PM

nycyn - 2 hours ago  » 
    Harro? Tokyo?

Translation: It would be nice if somebody knowledgeable would answer, ey?

16. NewBlood

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 26 2010 9:18:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey buggin_out,

1. I have not found any bed bug fecal matter or stains on my sheets/ pillowcases

Well that's good and bad. If you're trying to find bed bugs finding evidence of them would mean you have them. NOT finding evidence may mean you don't (or that they are staying in a different location) have them, but should still stay on alert if you suspect them.

2. I have found and gotten rid of spiders in my room a couple of times
    3. I have seen a flying insect once or twice in my room
    4. I have gotten bitten just sitting on my chair in the early evening

These things are unrelated to bed bugs. A flying bug could be a biter or not depending on what it was, and getting bit on your chair doesn't mean bed bugs either - it just means something bit you. It COULD have been a bed bug, but it could be any number of other things too. As for spiders - they are in homes that don't have bed bugs too - their presence doesn't strike me as having any correlation to bed bugs at all.

5. I have woken up in the morning with a bite here or there, no breakfast-lunch-dinner sequencing
    6. The bites are bumps with redness around but do not itch that much
    7. The bites have appeared on my chest, stomach, legs, back
    8. There are never more than one or two bites at once, they seem to disappear in about a day
    9. The most recent bite I took a picture of this morning -- it has since disappeared (in about 8 hours time) - picture 1, picture 2

It is not possible to tell (if you have insect bites) what is biting you. A dermatologist MAY be able to say it is or isn't a bug (mine could not though) but it could be allergies, immune disorders, or any other types of biting insects which are causing the reactions you are getting. Yes, it could be bed bugs, but it could very well be something else. Again - bites alone do not a bed bug make - if they are there, there will be proof of them somewhere.

10. I have on two or three occasions found one, at most two small particles on my bed -- they are hard, and I have no idea what they are - picture 3, picture 4
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if there are still spiders/ other insects so small I can't see coming out to bite me at various times. I don't think there are bed bugs but you never know. Any other details that might be helpful in detection?

I don't think that spiders come out to 'get you' as it were. I believe they bite only in self defense and even then some spiders need to be 'pushed' to do this. It could be other bugs that you don't see (I tend to get bit by hordes of insects when I'm outside - with the bites being somewhat delayed so I notice them a day or two afterwards) sure. It could be allergies (which can just suddenly pop up without warning) or other issues too.

For detection - if you think you have bed bugs - check the bed as thoroughly as you can (the FAQ's here show how I believe) and then isolate it. You can use climb up interceptors and bed bug mattress encasements to assist in this (but this will cost some money to do). A monitor of some sort can be purchased as well (bed bug beacon, nightwatch, bed bug alert, etc) to help out with this sort of thing.

17. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 14:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Please, please, please help, someone!

18. dunnoifBB

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 15:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, not an expert, but humans shed skin too. Could it be little pieces of that? There really are any number of things that can get brought into your bed, no matter how clean you think you were when you got in. My husband has really awful dry skin and dandruff (sp) so I find this while doing my matress inspection, GAG! Among the other things I find in the bed (we have a dog that brings her doggie matter in also). Thinking you have bed bugs makes you find all the stuff you didn't want to know you were really sleeping with.

19. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 15:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

These rice things, in pictures 3 and 4, are very small and they're hard. Couldn't possibly be skin! Our dog isn't allowed in the bedrooms. Those aren't even my pictures, but that's the same thing I'm seeing. They have to be bug-related.

20. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 15:54:52
    #

Login to Send PM

whats super weird is i lint roll my sheets every night before bed, and on tuesday night when i would wake up suddenly with a YEOWCH!-I-just-got-bit pinch and my hand would automatically go to the area I was bitten, I would find one of the rice like things or salt grain like things in that spot and/or some black specks. I get the weird crunchy things, i get the rice like things (not bb related, already posted a picture) and I get the salt grain looking things. rice like and salt grain things I can always squish between my fingernails. i mentioned before they reminded me of sebum from a person's pores or hair follicles, but i have pretty awesome skin so i dont think thats actually what they are. MAYBE from hair follicles, but that doesnt explain why something like that shows up on the sheets underneath my back after I get bitten by something on my back.

i was thinking flea eggs? flea pupae? maybe a flea pupae that just hatched? but how the eff does this crap get on my bed after i lint roll it? occasionally when i wake up from these bites my cat will be sitting next to me staring at me like a little psycho kitty serial killer. dunno if maybe she jumped up and some fleas came with her (havent found any but the black specs in my bed seems a little flea-dirt-ish to me. i dont recall them dissolving in water or saliva but ill have to double check), or she saw a bedbug run up on my face and was watching it with kitty hunter eyes.

sometimes i get really pissed that although that bedbug summit was held in the chicago area, i cant seem to find anyone local that is as knowledgeable as the PCOs and entymologists on this board. wish i had an entymologist buddy who i could pay with weekly loaves of banana bread to come check out my apartment.

21. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 16:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, iseriously!!!!! I swear I feel occasional bites, too, and they hurt like heck. You are not supposed to feel bed bug bites. Last night, I grabbed for the bite area and felt a little piece of something left on my thigh. I didn't want to drop it so I limped to the bathroom, with my had cupped over the little piece of rice. My thigh was bright red. The bites diappear and never itch. What is biting me?

22. Bug wary

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 18:00:46
    #

Login to Send PM

toldeo,

Why don't you send it to a university entomology department for analysis?

23. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 18:40:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked up our local university, but they don't have an entomology dept. I actually think that is a fairly rare area of study. I'll send a private message to a couple of the experts on this board.

24. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 20:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

25. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 2:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

i so want to solve this mystery. i had just washed my sheets tonight, put them on my mattress and went to bed....in less than 5 minutes felt a sharp sting on my thigh, shoved my hand down my pj pants (classy!) as fast as i could...black speck, salt looking things, and some odd part white part black/grey and offwhite longer pieces that seem related to the salt looking things, but long and thin. not like pics of bb eggs i've seen, i dont think - these were longer and thinner, there were 2. i proceeded to have the same experience 2 more times and then had to whip off my top sheet and find/remove all the weird little black speck and salt combo stuff. some of the harder "crunchy" pieces, too. mind you these are all extremely small, varying in size but maybe around the size of a period at the end of a sentence or a comma/apostrophe in 12 point text.

wtf! afraid to get back into bed cause i might get "bit" by these inanimate objects or whatever is invisible and leaving them behind.

26. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 2:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Had you washed the PJ's as well?

27. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 6:57:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You can wash and wash, but mine just come back. Last weekend we took of our encased mattress and boxspring, and tried using a hairdryer on the bedframe, trying to force out anything that might be hiding there. Nothing was visible, but I can barely see these things with my naked eye. I'm ready to switch to black sheets.

28. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 7:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

PCO is coming out today to treat for bed bugs. They identified one bug from my climb-up as a BB, but I'm still not so sure. They also identified one shed skin from my son's bed. They might not be using the right pesticide, so all I can do is hope.

29. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 7:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't say anything for bites, but in the other two pics there's nothing BB related

30. toledo

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 7:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, EffeCi! The rice mystery continues.... We'll see if the BB treatment has any effect on them.

31. iseriouslyneversleep

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Oct 29 2010 10:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

the pjs had been washed and ziplocked, maybe the bag hadnt been zipped as well as i thought? i also had a sad thought last night that this mystery debris might be falling from the ceiling. who knows.

i mean, at this point i've had an all clear for bedbugs but with so much odd shit happening along with itchies, who knows? gotta try to find fleas i guess. theres no evidence of anything, except the "fleas" i see that might be hallucinations.

32. nycyn

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 19 2010 5:45:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I have accumulated a nice little selection of tiny black crunchies and tiny sesame seed thingies.

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE NOW! No I don't. Yes I do. Any volunteers willing to take a look please PM me your address and I'll mail them.

I am guessing that the black things are flea? poop? (or dessicated fleas?) and the sesame seeds are nymphs? mites? No current bites but the dog chose to sleep on the couch these past two nights when I happen to be finding more than usual. I think these are from the dog. Or I want to think they're from the dog. No I don't. Yes I do.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

201,668 posts in 31,249 topics over 95 months by 13,519 of 17,231 members. Latest: wunderful2, Nastybug1, Fozsbear